Author Topic: **NO SPOILERS ALLOWED** - Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019  (Read 19964 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
You guys are crazy if you think they're playing any more than 3-4 from D/T on this run. They didn't play 3 songs from DT12 on that entire tour but played them on later tours (except S2R obviously) so it shows that they're willing to leave songs out to play them on a later tour. Which is smart, because it extends the lifetime of the album in the fan's minds and setlists. Plus, they're already playing an entire album and played an entire album last tour so they're going to want to stick in a more varied back catalog selection. Surrender to Reason and The Glass Prison are almost guarantees if the fanbase's setlist wishes are taken into account. And there was a mention of an Awake nod, which based on their previous Awake selections on the last few tours, basically leaves A Mind Beside Itself as the obvious choice (doubt it will be Innocence Faded or Caught In A Web). Add in an FII song (they seem to always put that album into the setlists so I'm guessing they actually like it quite a bit), and probably a few token songs from the rest of the albums that haven't been mentioned, and that's that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »
And there was a mention of an Awake nod, which based on their previous Awake selections on the last few tours, basically leaves A Mind Beside Itself as the obvious choice (doubt it will be Innocence Faded or Caught In A Web).

I don't overly disagree with the directly you are suggesting as far as Awake's representation.  But although I could end up being mistaken, I'll go on record right now as saying that I think it is VERY unlikely that they would play the whole AMBI suite.  One of the songs from it?  I think that is pretty likely.  But I doubt we'll see all three. 

But I do think you are wrong about only 3-4 songs from the new album.  I don't think they have EVER limited themselves to 3-4 songs from an album on the initial support tour for that album (save maybe Six Degrees and BCSL, which both had only six songs, and very LONG songs at that).  Disregarding the unique nature of The Astonishing, on the tours supporting the last 2 albums before that, which also each had 9 songs, they averaged 6 per show on the opening N.A. tour legs, and those songs were, on average, longer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »
You guys are crazy if you think they're playing any more than 3-4 from D/T on this run. They didn't play 3 songs from DT12 on that entire tour but played them on later tours (except S2R obviously) so it shows that they're willing to leave songs out to play them on a later tour. Which is smart, because it extends the lifetime of the album in the fan's minds and setlists. Plus, they're already playing an entire album and played an entire album last tour so they're going to want to stick in a more varied back catalog selection. Surrender to Reason and The Glass Prison are almost guarantees if the fanbase's setlist wishes are taken into account. And there was a mention of an Awake nod, which based on their previous Awake selections on the last few tours, basically leaves A Mind Beside Itself as the obvious choice (doubt it will be Innocence Faded or Caught In A Web). Add in an FII song (they seem to always put that album into the setlists so I'm guessing they actually like it quite a bit), and probably a few token songs from the rest of the albums that haven't been mentioned, and that's that.

Quoting this so we can revisit it in a week. ;)

Oh, and they played five songs from DT12 on that tour (Enemy Inside, Looking Glass, Enigma Machine, Along for the Ride and Illumination Theory).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »
You guys are crazy if you think they're playing any more than 3-4 from D/T on this run. ...

:hifive:

Week-and-a-half for me, since I'm going to try to stay away from set list spoilers until after my show.  I specifically asked JP to avoid any spoilers (although he did tell me one song anyway).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
You guys are crazy if you think they're playing any more than 3-4 from D/T on this run. They didn't play 3 songs from DT12 on that entire tour

Beg pardon?

Just looking at the show I attended (4/19/14 in L.A.), they played False Awakening Suite (recorded as the intro, and I don't think this has ever been played live, so maybe it doesn't count), The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass, Enigma Machine, Along for the Ride and Illumination Theory.  Even if you don't count FAS, that's 5/9 songs representing 68+% of the album's running time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »

Oh, and they played five songs from DT12 on that tour (Enemy Inside, Looking Glass, Enigma Machine, Along for the Ride and Illumination Theory).

I'm prepared (and would be thrilled) to be proven wrong since I want to see as much of D/T as possible in Philly, but they also didn't play an entire 80 minute SFAM on their DT12 tour so setlist space is at a premium. I maintain the idea that this is NOT the main D/T tour and that they will do another US leg in the fall which will be the official tour with a normal setlist containing a large portion of the new album. They're not going to play a majority of it now when they can spread the songs out to get fans to attend multiple legs. This current tour is all about SFAM.

Offline DTA

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
And there was a mention of an Awake nod, which based on their previous Awake selections on the last few tours, basically leaves A Mind Beside Itself as the obvious choice (doubt it will be Innocence Faded or Caught In A Web).

I don't overly disagree with the directly you are suggesting as far as Awake's representation.  But although I could end up being mistaken, I'll go on record right now as saying that I think it is VERY unlikely that they would play the whole AMBI suite.  One of the songs from it?  I think that is pretty likely.  But I doubt we'll see all three. 

I don't think the whole AMBI is a stretch, but perhaps just Voices or Erotomania then.

My prediction is something like this:

Untethered Angel
Surrender To Reason
Paralyzed
Lost Not Forgotten (or Outcry)
Barstool Warrior
Lines In The Sand (probably not this one but who knows, they just seem to love FII songs)
Fall Into The Light
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
-----
SFAM
-----
The Glass Prison

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:44:38 PM by DTA »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
Holy crap, that first sentence of mine was practically unintelligible with that typo!  Glad you figured out what I was trying to say.  :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2019, 04:17:15 PM »

Folks, it's been a blast but it's time for me to avoid the forum for a little while. Just on the off beat chance I spoil something for myself before I see the show :)

Be back April 10th!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »

Folks, it's been a blast but it's time for me to avoid the forum for a little while. Just on the off beat chance I spoil something for myself before I see the show :)

Be back April 10th!

Im waiting till next week. And at that mainly the Dream Theater side. And the MP/Sons Of Apollo/Neal Morse threads.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
Are we going to openly discuss the setlist(s) here after the tour starts?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »

Be back April 10th!

Im waiting till next week. And at that mainly the Dream Theater side. And the MP/Sons Of Apollo/Neal Morse threads.

Yeah, I’ve had multiple spoilers when reading threads on the other side the past few tours. So I’ll be gone for about two and a half weeks myself. Wicked pumped for the tour to start though!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »

???  Why wouldn't we?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »

???  Why wouldn't we?

Thought this was just a thread for speculation, that’s all. I need to stay clear of this thread from 3/20-3/30  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »

Be back April 10th!

Yeah, I’ve had multiple spoilers when reading threads on the other side the past few tours. So I’ll be gone for about two and a half weeks myself. Wicked pumped for the tour to start though!

Same here. Going with 3 other friends as well. Finalizing everything pretty much then its just the waiting game.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Trav86

« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »
My new theory on which D/T songs will be played. If you watch the Track by Track videos on YouTube, Petrucci only appears in six of them. Untethered Angel, Paralyzed, Fall Into the Light, Barstool Warrior, Room 137 and Pale Blue Dot. Those are what they’re playing.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
My new theory on which D/T songs will be played. If you watch the Track by Track videos on YouTube, Petrucci only appears in six of them. Untethered Angel, Paralyzed, Fall Into the Light, Barstool Warrior, Room 137 and Pale Blue Dot. Those are what they’re playing.

Let's save this post and see if it comes true when the tour starts, at least after 3 shows, just in case they have a rotating A/B(/C) set list, cuz ya know, WWRD and all...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2019, 08:25:34 PM »
I'm just hoping the SFAM anniversary thing is only for this year (or the first few tour legs for this year) and that they do a full D/T tour later, hopefully playing the rest of the album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »
I'm considering they'll play 5-6 tracks from d/t, varying some of them every night. Maybe that way they end up playing the whole album. Just don't know which songs could be alternated, but it's possible, isn't it?

Specially given the fact that some of the songs are really short, like Paralyzed, Room 137 and Viper King.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2019, 09:54:09 PM »
I'm considering they'll play 5-6 tracks from d/t, varying some of them every night. Maybe that way they end up playing the whole album. Just don't know which songs could be alternated, but it's possible, isn't it?

Specially given the fact that some of the songs are really short, like Paralyzed, Room 137 and Viper King.

I postulated this exact thing on the previous page. If you look at my post, you can see how I think they might do alternating set lists, swapping songs of similar length each night, that way the first set could stay a near-consistent length and they wouldn't have to worry about going over curfew at venues.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »
I gave my predictions; but here would be my “wishlist” for the tour

Barstool Warrior
Our New World
Paralyzed
Lines in the Sand
Surrender to Reason
Voices
Panic Attack
Beneath the Surface
At Wits End - with big epic Petrucci solo outro

SFAM

Encore:
Glass Prison

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2019, 03:12:31 PM »
^ Totally forgot about the ending of AWE. It'll be interesting to see how they end it.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2019, 04:19:32 PM »

Fall into the light
Unteathered angel
Paralyzed
Erotomania
Surrender to Reason
Barstool warrior
Astonishing medley
Panic Attack
At Wits End - Petrucci solo outro

SFAM

Encore:
Octavarium

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »

Fall into the light
Unteathered angel
Paralyzed
Erotomania
Surrender to Reason
Barstool warrior
Astonishing medley
Panic Attack
At Wits End - Petrucci solo outro

SFAM

Encore:
Octavarium

Please, no medleys

Offline Luis W

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
I'm enjoying the new album so much. I'm fine with them playing them both back to back. One thing I think that would be awesome: playing Metropolis pt1. as an introduction to SFAM. Oh, and a surprise at the end, one of the 20 min epics would be nice (altough some of them would not be so much of a surprise).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2019, 11:11:41 PM »

???  Why wouldn't we?

Well historically we haven't been discussing set lists for on-going tours here, they'd be in the Concerts section. For the people who want to avoid spoilers.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2019, 11:22:20 PM »

???  Why wouldn't we?

Well historically we haven't been discussing set lists for on-going tours here, they'd be in the Concerts section. For the people who want to avoid spoilers.

If by "here", you mean on these forums, sure, but if you mean "in this thread", it seems like the title denotes that this thread is only for speculations and wishes, rather than discussing actual set lists. The Concerts section has definitely spot lighted specific set lists from specifics shows, as well as tracking on-going lists and changes throughout the tour, so I think that subforum should continue that historic trend, rather than have it bleed into here where people might not want to be spoiled.

Heck, we already know what half of the show will be, so I'm sure most fans will want to avoid being spoiled by the other half of their concert!

-Marc.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »
I am lucky that I only have to survive through 3 days of avoiding spoilers before I see them. I hope we don't get anything spoiled outside of the DT side between the first show and Friday lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »
I'm seeing them in 6 days, so I guess only 4 days of avoiding spoilers for me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
I'm seeing them in 6 days, so I guess only 4 days of avoiding spoilers for me.

Let me spoil something right here and now.

I am not wearing any pants
They are playing SFAM
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
Either way, your post has me pretty excited.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »
Either way, your post has me pretty excited.

:zydar:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline AikeaGuinea

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »
Holy crap, I haven't had the opportunity to fully digest the new album and I'm the first date of the tour :(.  The setlist would be of course, heavily based on Scenes without a fact. Also, as already pointed out, some of the songs on the new album are extremely short so therefore I would not be surprised to see 5 to 6 songs from the new album in the first set. For what songs would be played from the back catalog, that's is just a massive guess game IMO (that's the whole point though!!), we won't know until we hear it. Dammit, how I wish that SD was the first night of every band I see live, seeing bands completely blindfolded is so exciting and makes the experience even better. Since speculations are fun I'll share my take! My apologies, I'm not too familiar yet with the new album, college has been weighing a little on me, and I can't really study with music anymore, I get really distracted.

1. Unearthed Angel
2. The Glass Prison
3. New Song
4. New Song
6. New Song
7. Blind Faith
8. New Song
9. Metropolis Pt. I

Set II:
10. SFAM

Encore:
11. Octavarium

I know Octavarium would be overkill but hey, one can hope!!

Offline pelswick

« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
Set 1
6:00
untethered angel
S2N
A nightmare to remember
Enigma Machine
paralyzed
barstool warrior
Octavarium
Metropolis Part 1 The Miracle and the Sleeper

Set 2
SFAM

Encore:
illumination theory

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
Holy crap, I haven't had the opportunity to fully digest the new album and I'm the first date of the tour :(.  The setlist would be of course, heavily based on Scenes without a fact. Also, as already pointed out, some of the songs on the new album are extremely short so therefore I would not be surprised to see 5 to 6 songs from the new album in the first set. For what songs would be played from the back catalog, that's is just a massive guess game IMO (that's the whole point though!!), we won't know until we hear it. Dammit, how I wish that SD was the first night of every band I see live, seeing bands completely blindfolded is so exciting and makes the experience even better. Since speculations are fun I'll share my take! My apologies, I'm not too familiar yet with the new album, college has been weighing a little on me, and I can't really study with music anymore, I get really distracted.

1. Unearthed Angel
2. The Glass Prison
3. New Song
4. New Song
6. New Song
7. Blind Faith
8. New Song
9. Metropolis Pt. I

Set II:
10. SFAM

Encore:
11. Octavarium

I know Octavarium would be overkill but hey, one can hope!!

Is the bolded going to be a parody of the song played in Back to the Future?

:P