Poll

Did you see Dream Theater on the Metropolis: 2000 tour?

Yes
No

Voting closes: September 19, 2024, 12:19:33 PM

Author Topic: Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!  (Read 6205 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:19:33 AM »
With the band planning to play all of Scenes on the upcoming tour, I am curious as to how many current forum members saw Dream Theater on the Metropolis: 2000 tour when they played all of Scenes at most of the shows.

*raises hand...twice* :coolio :hat

Offline EPIC Outro

Re: Raise your hand if you saw DT on the Metropolis: 2000 tour!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Metropolis 2000 was my first ever Dream Theater concert. I remember getting closer and closer to them playing "Home" and thinking to myself "I can't believe I'm about to witness this live."

Awesome, awesome show.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:15:19 PM by EPIC Outro »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
Saw it twice, with different set lists after sfam. Spock’s beard opening.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
Oakdale in CT  :metal where I will see it again

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Oakdale in CT  :metal where I will see it again

Same here!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »
Baltimore, MD at Bohager's.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
The answer is both yes and no. I have seen them for my first two times back then - in 1999 I saw the warm up shows, where they played just some new songs, and then in the summer of 2000 I saw them a second time with a free style setlist, culminating in A Change of Seasons as encore. But I did NOT saw the whole thing played in its entirety, damn!

Through the years I've heard all the songs except Through Her Eyes live (well, and Regression), and I hope I will finally compensate for it next year even if 20 years later!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
February 27, 2000
The Roxy, Boston

It was my 10th DT show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline efx

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »
Saw them twice in NYC in that tour and the second was the filmed Roseland Ballroom show. Stood in line pretty much all day at the front with a bunch of fellow mp.com forumers which was fun and I was in the front row for the first set and in one of the crowd pans on the dvd.

SFAM was never one of my favorite albums but I'm interested to see them perform it again.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
Saw them in Detroit but don't see it in the concerts listing on this site. Dixie Dregs and I believe Star People opened. Show was at State Theater - 2/18/2000 according to Setlist.fm. Worked my way up to the front row and it was an amazing experience.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
Saw them four times during the SfaM tour cycle. Twice on the warm-up tour with Tiles opening, once on the M2 tour proper with the full album being performed (and Spock's Beard opening) and again on the last European leg with Porcupine Tree opening. Good times!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline illusionist

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »
Great topic!
Since the majority of the members here (and DT fans in general) are younger,it's good to know who has been a
long time fan,and especially since SFAM (my first album of them,and my favorite of all times!)
November 1999 i bought the album.Never had heard anything like that before (or prog in general).My first couple listens were a huge disappointment.
But ,although i don't know why,i kept on revisiting it and it grew on me listen by listen.

Fast forward to summer of 2000. 14/7 (for Europe),7/14 (for US),7 of July for all  :smiley:
Rockwave festival,Athens,Greece.2 greek acts were about to open the show,DT were just before the headliners Iron Maiden (had just released Brave New World,Dickinson and Smith had come back and the anticipation for them was huge.)
October '99 i had seen Maiden live in Athens,and as much as i wanted to see them again,i wanted DT to perform their new album in its entirety.
Which would not happen if they weren't the headliners.
Some days before the big day,news were spreading around that Gers (one of their 3 guitarists) had fallen off the stage in a previous show and had broken his arm
(or,at least,he wouldn't be able to perform in Athens).
Bingo!
Now DT were about to have the central spot in the lineup.On Thorns I Lay were first,Septic Flesh were next,and In Flames replaced DT just before the headlining act.
After having seen all 3 groups playing their strongest sets,time had already come.From 21:30 to 22:00 many people on stage were preparing the show.Instrument technicians,lighting,soundcheck,all these things.
And finally,lights go off,the clock starts to tick and the pre-recorded voice of the hypnotherapist is heard.Crowd goes nuts.
Petrucci enters the stage with shorts,Portnoy behind his kit,Myung is the silent robot we all know,with his looooong hair,
Rudess on his first appearance on Greece.
Overture 1928 begins.The sound is crystal clear,the music is superb.Listening to the album that had gotten me all winter long,
with my new musical heroes performing it was like an orgasm.Guitar solos are just mesmerizing.Did i mention i had a musical crush on Petrucci?
 :metal
Strange DejaVu,and finally LaBrie on stage.All five of them,in front of me,i could see everyone of them very clearly.
I am peeing my pants from joy,excitement and relief.
For the next 100 minutes,SFAM is taking us through a journey.My emotions skyrocketed.Through her eyes made me literally cry.
When the album is over,i can't believe what i just saw.
But i see on stage Petrucci taking his 6 string off and someone passing him the 7 string.

The Mirror.F@@@ck!!!My head is spinning uncontrollably.I can't see anything with my hair in front of my face.
I shout all the lyrics.My throat hurts.After that,i remember them playing
Just let me Breathe
Acid Rain ,the first part of it (sick sick sick)
Caught in a new Millenium
Pull me Uder/Metropolis PT1
And finally.....The trooper.
I cannot describe what happened when we heard the riff.Panic attack!
And after 2 hours,Dream Theater left the stage,leaving us all in shock at what we had encountered..

After that,i saw them again,2 days in a row in 2002,6/11 and 7/11 in Athens.
The show after those,in Istanbul would be the last of the SDoIT tour.
And,finally,my last DT show was July 1 of 2007,in the Rockwave festival again.Promoting Systematic Chaos,and they were second to
Heaven and Hell (Dio,Iommi and the gang).
It's a long time i haven't seen them since.
But,to be honest,they aren't the same bad they were before.The dreamy factor may have gone away (at least for me),their latest offerings haven't caught my attention,i haven't bought their last 2 albums at all (and i have bought all their previous,singles,LTE,
Rudess-Petrucci acoustic,G3 lives etc).
And Systematic Chaos,for me,shouldn't have released in the first place under the name of Dream Theater.
But with all these having said,every new album is an opportunity to remember the magic back then,when a new album would come in my hands,
the ritual listening to it for the first time in headphones and so on.
I hope the new album will be something refreshing,and something i will enjoy very much.
I know that i may have bored you,but it was something i felt like sharing with y'all.

I will never forget the magical moments DT has given me through the years.
And i am forever grateful to them,for having made such a big impact on my musical taste,and on my life altogether.
The journey never ends..
Thanks for reading!

Offline JLa

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 01:57:06 PM »
No.  :-\ I got into DT during that time though. I remember being so excited over discovering this amazing band, and also so bummed when I found out they had played in my city (SFAM tour) like a month earlier.

Needless to say I bought tickets for the 6DOIT tour as soon as they became available!

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
February 27, 2000
The Roxy, Boston

It was my 10th DT show.

I was at this show as well, it was my 1st. Roxy was a newly built club and the bass was HUGE, still the fattest I have heard the low end at a DT show and I think I’ve seen them 7 times. Have tix to this tour already, full circle 18 years later. So happy they do this for their fans, cause although they have the ability, god knows they don’t have to do it. PS they also played only a matter of time which was one of my favs at the time.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »
No for me - so I'm very happy they're doing this anniversary tour.  Whenever they play individual songs live they're always a highlight of the set for me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
Saw them for that tour in Seoul, South Korea, in May 2000 if my memory serves me well. Awesome concert!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
February 27, 2000
The Roxy, Boston

It was my 10th DT show.

I was at this show as well, it was my 1st. Roxy was a newly built club and the bass was HUGE, still the fattest I have heard the low end at a DT show and I think I’ve seen them 7 times. Have tix to this tour already, full circle 18 years later. So happy they do this for their fans, cause although they have the ability, god knows they don’t have to do it. PS they also played only a matter of time which was one of my favs at the time.

Cool, man. Yes, OAMOT was played, but it was part of the medley.

The thing I remember was how huge the buzz was. The place was packed and it seemed that everything they did beforehand culminated in that show. Amazing. Easily the biggest crowd in the area that they had ever played to.

And yes, also going to the show in April.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
Oh, and btw; the show I went to was the start of DTNorway - their first event. If it hadn't been for the SFAM show, I wouldn't be -here- today.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
I was seven, they didn't play here and even if they did, we were piss poor to the point of where we didn't have enough money for food, so that'd be a no. Excited for the current tour though!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »
Nope, had no idea who they were then

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
Saw DT at Manchester University on the Touring Into Infinity tour, my first DT show and the sound was awful (it nearly always was in there) so when the Scenes tour came around, I made the trip to London to see them in the Shepherds Bush Empire and it was incredible, if I’m not mistaken it may have been Spock’s Beard opening with MP coming on in a mask to do Mystery Train with them from the, then unreleased, Transatlantic album. Saw them again in London on the second run at the much larger Hammersmith Apollo but they didn’t do all of Scenes then. It was a huge set list though including ACOS in full. May have been Porcupine Tree opening on that occasion.

Scary how long ago that is now!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
I was only 8 years old when they were touring on the backs of Scenes from A Memory and I have really yet to discover rock music on my own (aside from the Korn, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed stuff that my sister was playing in the background, in addition to the pop and boy band stuff of the late 90s/early 00s) so there was no way I would have known Dream Theater back then.  So this is a definite no.

I would like to see DT, but the ticket prices has priced me out of seeing them in LA.  Maybe I'll get lucky and get a last minute ticket at a reasonable price I like for a reasonable view.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:54:55 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »
Had some friends that listened to Dream Theater in the 90s and couldn't get into them.  I was into more underground stuff at the time.  Ended up working with some people that were into Dream Theater in 2000 and I casually brought it up, just to make conversation.  They said, "We're going to see them if you want to come along." 

"Sure."  After all, it was only 20 bucks. 

After the first few songs, I was bored to tears.  I couldn't deny that *some* songs had great riffs and melodies but geez, get over yourselves.  Where'd the vocalist go, anyway? Are you actually playing a song anymore or just jamming?

Regardless, I bought Scenes From a Memory.  Listened to it occasionally.  Heard a bit of SDOIT when it came out.  Bought Train of Thought on a whim and decided to see them again on a whim.   Finally in 2004 I went from casual fan to super fan. 

Side note: Spock's Beard opened in 2000.  What a fun band. A little bit different.  A few years later I finally got a Spock's Beard CD called Snow.  It sucked.  I honestly thought I might have gotten the name of the band wrong.  I still can't stand anything Neal Morse has done.  Did I really enjoy Spock's Beard or did I imagine it? No one knows. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 12:09:00 AM »
It’s the only album tour (besides WDADU) that I didn’t see. They skipped Seattle that tour (and the next...but I managed to road trip to Frisco to see SDOIT).

Right now they appear to be skipping Seattle for this one too, so I’m beginning to think I’ll never get to see Scenes live.  :\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 12:58:47 AM »
What i recall for that album i saw them three times : Zwolle Ijsselhal Netherlands
                                                                             Weert  Bospopfestival Netherlands   and
                                                                             Dusseldorf Germany  with Spock's Beard opening which i will never forget mainly the trip to get there,i went with an organised bustour which took us on a roundtrip through the Netherlands by the time i got home it was 24 hrs later,instead if i went by car it would have only taken 3 hours  :facepalm:

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 03:17:27 AM »
Raises hand. This was the first time that I saw DT live and still to this day it is one of the best concerts I've been to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »
I noticed that the dates for the first leg of the North American tour on wikipedia are not complete.  The St. Louis show is missing - February 14th, 2000.

The cool thing about that for us is that our show was added a week or two after the initial dates went on sale, and by then, we (my older brother, two friends and I) had already bought four tickets for the show at the House of Blues in Orlando - dead center in the first row on the balcony.  So when we got a show, we were like, "heck, we'll go to that one, too!"

The show here in St. Louis was great, but the one in Orlando was special, and still remains probably one of the best 2-3 shows I've ever seen.  That was back when I drank on a regular basis and could hold my liquor, and I had just enough before and during the show to get a good buzz doing, but not too much to where I was a drunken fool. :lol :lol  We all had an absolute blast. :hat

Offline bill1971

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 07:52:59 AM »
Yes in Philly. Amazing show! I think it was my 3rd or 4th DT show. My 1st tour was the Awake tour.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 08:34:50 AM »
Me!

Phoenix August 2000 (This is the show where the "Train Wreck" bootleg was recorded). The band screwed up on Metropolis like 3 times. We got the B setlist, which was not the complete SFAM album so I'm stoked in seeing it completely in Austin next year. We did get ACOS and that was amazing by itself.

I took about 5 years off my life. I was a poor college student, so a couple of buddies and me drove from El Paso TX to Phoenix (6 hour drive) and drove back after the show. Definitely worth it. It was also our first time seeing DT so it was a very memorable trip/concert.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
Oh, and btw; the show I went to was the start of DTNorway - their first event. If it hadn't been for the SFAM show, I wouldn't be -here- today.

And who would have cared?

B.Lee

Just kiddin' of course : you're doing a wonderful job, Noxon. Glad you are with us.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
*raises hand*

February 8, 2000. Kingsbury Hall.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online DTA

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
Saw them at the Electric Factory in Philly twice that year, once in February 2000 with Star People (very weird band)/Dixie Dregs and once in August 2000 with Spock's Beard. I was only 14 years old, and for an aspiring musician just getting into progressive music, it was life-changing. Because of this, I'm not too excited to see SFAM again as I've seen most of the other songs quite a bit throughout the last 18 years, but it is an amazing album so I'm sure I'll get into it once I'm actually there.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
Cleveland. I have a program and T-shirt somewhere from that show. One of the highlights of my concert-going life for sure.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
Nope, I wasn't aware that Dream Theater existed yet. Shame since SFAM is my all time favorite album. Making up for it in the spring though as I've got good seats for the NJ, NYC, and Philly shows :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
Yup. Terrible venue The Roxy in Boston.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC