Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46532 times)

Offline ledlemos08

• Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
I really enjoyed the song! Why not play This Dying Soul after this? Fits perfectly! haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sovLMswyY0
Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
Besides the composition in general, which I really enjoyed, my highlights are the drum and bass sound!! For me, they both sound amazing, especially the bass, really loud in the mix. The drum sounds like an evolution, the sound I wanted for DT12. The excitement is real  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
Just a couple more hours.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
I really enjoyed the song! Why not play This Dying Soul after this? Fits perfectly! haha

Leaaaakkkkk
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »
Heard the track in my country and love it - will comment more once everyone has had a chance to listen.

The artwork stuff simply does not bother me. Both bands shown used stock images to create a scene. Both scenes, even though they use the bedroom stock image tell a vastly different story. Looks great to me. And at the end of the day it is for a single we will likely only see if buying the album in the flesh in the booklet, and likely completely forget about it once the hysteria of the new album has worn off. In this day and age, so many just download digitally anyway. To me, it’s great that DT even in their 50’s, still continue to make new music for the fans regularly and have some nice artwork to look at. I’m old now though, so might be me just being more relaxed in my old age  ;D

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:46:20 PM by jayvee3 »

Offline ledlemos08

• Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2018, 08:12:48 PM »

Leaaaakkkkk

Actually the song was released a hour ago for everyone! That's why I waited some minutes to post here haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5JTiKN0oqA
Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »

Leaaaakkkkk

Actually the song was released a hour ago for everyone! That's why I waited some minutes to post here haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5JTiKN0oqA

Actually the song is not available in North America yet.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
The song sounds like a BC&SL song without the bloat.

I wish they modified the first verse so that it doesn't sound too much like Outcry.

The bass is huge.

If you're not a fan of MM's style before, you will still not like the drumming style in this song. It is very Mangini.

Have they stopped the L-R Cymbals thing? Because it's all coming from the right speaker for me.

The processed JLB vocals didn't bother me because the style fit the song.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:00:22 PM by erwinrafael »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:23 PM »
Love it, definitely heavier and that instrumental section is a lot of fun. Time for bed  :metal :metal :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »
Need to listen a couple more times, but I think this is probably one of their best single releases ever. It really hits the middle ground between familiar and fresh-sounding. In particular, I think the vocal melodies are really spot-on. I do notice a lot of effect on JLB though -- though it sounds more like an intentional artistic choice than to cover something up (as is the case as usual I think).

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:48 PM »
Amazing. I guess Spotify used the Eastern Time of 12 as I Got to listen to it right at 10 here.

:metal :metal

I enjoyed it and might be playing it quite a bit more. Love that 2nd verse and 2nd pre-chorus. Its what I expected from them after The Astonishing, still continuing the self-titled style but added more heavy. The drums and bass sound Huge and LaBrie sounds as good as his recent solo albums.

Really excited for this album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:02 PM »
To me it sounds like ANTR and OTBOA

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »
Working in the US now.  Probably will be in the minority but after the 1st listen I am not big on this one.  The chorus after the "Untethered Angels" part is a let down. Mumble mumble then suddenly"FREEEEEE"

Instruments sound great  (especially after 2nd chorus) but the vocals are not gripping me.  James sang them well but the melody is not hitting me. I am listening a second time as I am typing this and I am liking it better but it doesn't sound like this one will have longevity for me. Maybe will end up as a solid 6 out of 10 for this song?  Just my opinion.  When I saw the track times I was hoping for more of an "Awake" type of album in term of solid strong songs.  Still very excited as always with every Dream Theater release. 

Third listen is starting now.

Many times it takes multiple listens for me to appreciate new Dream Theater music. When Falling to Infinity came out for example. 

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:14 PM »
Yup, three spins. Great song. Love that bass. Instrumental sections are fierce. Positive vibes for the rest of the album.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »
There's something about the mix that is really bothering me. A lot of the vocals I find buried under everything else (vocal effects aside). They're just not very clear. Even Jordan's playing only sticks out on occasion. I dunno, just sounds a little muddy to me.

The song's okay.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2018, 10:24:33 PM »
The DJ comparison is apt. Is a DJ making a beat for a rapper not an artist? Artists like Daft Punk or Prodigy use a lot of samples of famous tracks in their stuff and create cool songs:

https://youtu.be/I85DUucY_ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYLp5uX9Yw

It's a tool in a toolbox, and a very valid one at that. Using stock image is no worse than using samples in songs - heck. "HOLD IT NOW; WAIT A MINUTE; COME ON!"

That was actually my first thought.  Lots of good art comes from re-working old art.

I miss all the sampling DT did in their early days.  Let's hear some more Conan.  "In Houston they say that?"  Nobody complains about that.

Half of today's pop music is re-worked, re-mixed, or mashed up.  The best rap song ever came from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9j86a1cT0

Who cares if the album art is a remix--it looks cool and I like it.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2018, 10:25:07 PM »
Good mix. Except the vocals. They just don’t sound good at all. And I’m a huge James fan.

Some cool riffs but overall feels like DT trying to write a DT single. Meh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
First impression: I don't love it, but I don't hate it. It feels just like a standard Dream Theater song. It feels like you could have made a checklist of typical Dream Theater tropes and it would have hit every single item on that list. Nothing surprised me. It progressed exactly as I thought it would. It's nothing bad, but it's nothing new.
The keyboard sound Jordan uses at 1:50...I am so sick of hearing that patch. Jesus Jordan, you've got every keyboard sound imaginable at your disposal and you keep coming back to that cheesy patch.
I'm one of the people who did not like the Astonishing(Don't try to change my mind, I've given it many many chances in the almost 3 years since it came out), so I've been waiting 5 years now for a decent follow up to DT12, which I thought was just ok. I know this is only 6 minutes of an hour long album, but I hope this isn't just DT12 2.0.
I don't find myself enjoying DT as much as I used to. Maybe I've just outgrown the band.
This song really doesn't get me excited about the rest of the album.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
Excellent stuff. Didn't blow me away but I rarely am at first listen. I checked out the comments on YouTube which I almost never do for obvious reasons and they were almost universally positive. This definitely gets me excited for the rest of the album, the upcoming live shows, and hey, maybe even some more Spanish talk shows.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
First listen:

Compressed to hell and back even before YouTube, vocals buried in the mix or obscured by effects.

The instrumental mix seems to be balanced and powerful, drums sound like drums, so clearly a significant improvement in that department.

As a whole it feels more like a collection of randomly stitched together riffs instead of a coherent song though.

Absolutely nothing that grabbed me, was in any way memorable for me or made me want to listen to it again.

:-\

Greetings...
Nef

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
Gave it a cursory first spin...fairly standard, and it didn't blow me away. Highlights were JP's chunky ass guitar sound and that instrumental section. I'll also agree with others that JLB's vocals sound muddy in the mix.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:20 PM »
Worst mix I've heard in a long while
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline V_R11

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »
Okay. Thoughts:

-The mix is bad. Wow. James especially sounds really processed

-I really like Mangini’s drums, and I’m saying this as a JP fangirl

-I wonder who wrote the lyrics

-Don’t hate it, but I wasn’t blown away either. Excited for the album
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:00 PM »
It almost seems like they were very conscious and careful to deliver a good mix.

And then they noticed that the vocals weren't done yet and there was no time/budget left to carve out some frequencies for James without doing some serious rebalancing work.

Better luck next time. :(

Greetings...
Nef

Offline jsbru

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2018, 10:50:16 PM »
Just listened to it for the first time.

Seems pretty middle of the road for me.

I think they're clearly right off the bat trying to win back the fans that were made unhappy by The Astonishing--by having their first single this time be more of a BC&SL dark/heavy sound.

I'm still excited for the rest of their album.  I am in favor of the shorter track lengths--at least in theory.  I loved TA--I think it's one of their best.  I hope there's some stuff similar to A New Beginning and A Life Left Behind.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
Love it start to finish, but yea the vocals sound a bit low.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »
I mean it's a good single, but I don't think I will find myself singing randomly at the lyrics compared to The Gift of Music.  I still believe this album can excite me in ways that they can push where they are at as musicians a little more forward.

Offline Imacer

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
Anyone else hear fret buzz during the intro riff?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
James sounds like he's shouting to a muffled megaphone...

Song is ok. I was not impressed on the first listen, but it improved slightly on subsequent listens. There is a severe lack of any kind of catchy hook in the song. Not a good start, I need to hear the whole album before making a purchasing decision, let alone shelling out 55€ for a Blu-Ray audio...

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
Seriously, James has so much effect on his voice and is so low it's virtually impossible to tell what the hell is he saying in some parts, it's even annoying, which is sad, because the rest of the song is great.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
MOTHERFUCKER.

:2metal:

That was just an amazing song.  Feeling real strong "ToT/Heavier parts of SDoIT" in, loving it a lot. Tradeoff solos are back and while I can't say I have missed them I'm not going to complain about them either, great as usual. While I can say that it didn't astonish me (Sorry) as much as The Gift of Music, it still kicks all kinds of ass. Consider me hyped.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2018, 11:20:37 PM »
It seems like a pretty standard DT song to me...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just doesn't stick out to me from the writing aspect.

Jordan's dirty organ patch is awesome. The fact that you can clearly hear the bass is even more awesome. Mangini sounds a lot better as well, still not my type of snare sound but it is definitely an improvement and the cymbals are a lot clearer as well.

James sounds processed yes, but part of that was clearly an artistic decision. Makes him harder to understand, but I think it fits the vibe of the track at least.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2018, 11:23:00 PM »
“Pretty standard DT song”
Yes because they are DT 🤡

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »
“Pretty standard DT song”
Yes because they are DT 🤡

Yeah, but people feel like they need more than a run-of-a-mill DT song (I'm not implying that Untethered Angel is, but I can understand if some people may feel that way) and want something that can "Wow" them in ways they didn't think DT would do.  At least, that's my interpretation of the whole people hearing Untethered Angel as a "standard DT song."  People may want more than just that as a single (though that they may be setting expectations a bit too high for singles).