Author Topic: JP Signature Guitars  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Architeuthis

JP Signature Guitars
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »
I'm sure that there are people in this forum who own or have played The Ernie Ball JP signature guitars.  There are so many different models which all look pretty awesome!
I'm asking because I'm looking to get a dream guitar hopefully someday soon.  If so what has been your experience with them?
 I'm really liking the JP12, and the Majesty Monarchy series. I think aesthetically, the JP 12 looks slightly better, but the Majesty models seem to have better ergonomics and access to the higher frets.  What is your take on this?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: JP Signature Guitars
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
I currently have a 7str Majesty and I used to have a JP6. Both Guitars are great. I love the look of the Majesty and how it feels. It’s light weight in comparison to the JP models, which I prefer light weight. The only negative to the majesty it’s that it’s neckthrough , which isn’t bad but makes the guitar very sensitive.

The JP6 is great as well. Deff higher frets aren’t as accessible but it’s still a great guitar

I used to work at a Guitar Center and I had the chance to try a lot of guitars. The JP15 is a pretty sweet guitar and so are the JP16 and the Majeaty Monarchy series. I like how the black hardware looks instead of chrome.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:06:20 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »
Agreed about the black hardware.  Also the Black Knight version of the Monarchy looks the coolest imo,  the Red, Blue, and Purple all look great too, but the Black just looks tougher and is a little more neutral for a long stage performance if your only using one guitar all night.
 I'm leaning more towards the Monarchy series mainly because of the ergonomics, there's nothing in the way. No heel under the neck at the upper frets.
 My biggest beef with electric guitars in general is the volume knob. It's usually too close to the picking area and gets in the way, that inhibits my style a lot and I find my right pinky accidentally turning down the volume knob during a song, especially when doing leads. Some manufacturers have figured this out.
 That's why I don't like Strats, they have the dreaded heel on the body, the volume knob is in the way, and a single coil pick-up right under the picking and strumming area.. I've had a PRS custom 22 since 1993. While a great guitar, the volume isn't as bad but still a bit too close. PRS is also guilty of the heel on the neck too. Kind of a cross between a Strat and a Les Paul.
 I'm also interested in Keisel guitars. It looks like they've addressed all these issues on some of their models, and the craftsmanship is superb! They make beautiful guitars, plus they will custom make a guitar for anybody, not just famous musicians.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:31:48 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »
I have several JP's. I prefer them over the Majesty's because of the looks and I actually prefer the heavier weight of the JP's, as well as the bolt-on neck. The JP12 is incredible as is the JP15 - leaps ahead of the regular JP series which are already awesome guitars. Lots of people prefer the Majesty because of the ergonomics and lighter weight. Best bet is to go to an EBMM dealer and try a few out. You can't go wrong, really.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Thanks for the input, I think the JP12 and 15 look better too. The Majesty looks cool on the most part, but the upper cutaway on the body looks a bit like an over sized banana ( which I don't find very appealing).  :P
 I know it's probably built that way for a reason, but I would like to see them make an improvement on that in the future. I'm still interested in one because of the light weight and my back would thank me for it.  That is good advise to try them out at a music store, except I would have to make a 200 mile round trip to Seattle. My local music stores pretty much only carry Ibanez and Fender. It would be worth the trip though..

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
Yeah it sucks living in the middle of nowhere. I'd have to make about the same trip to do such. But if you're going to spend $3k+ on an instrument that you'll be playing for the next 5, 10, 20, 40 years, that paltry time and gas money is worth it to make your decision and be sure.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
Can't go wrong with the Majesty or any of the JP sigs in my opinion... I'm lucky enough to have them both (JP6 and Majesty) and they're both miles ahead of any other guitar I've played or own.  I have Schecters as well (Diamond C-1+ and Damien Elite 8) and while I love both my Schecters and they were easy peasy to play even before I hot-rodded both of them, they still don't compare to EBMM.

I'd suggest playing the Majesty with the mind that once you pick it up, you'll buy it :lol!  Andy from Sweetwater hooked me up and they actually use my model as a show model on the Sweetwater site... Andy said it was so beautiful when they pulled it out that they had to take pictures of it.  Really, the Majesty is one of the most beautiful instruments I've ever seen... pictures don't come close to the actual feel.  By the way, you could plug it into a tin can and it would sound good!

And I'll echo what ddtonfire said... if you're willing to make a $3K investment, the drive to play both models would be worth it.  Perhaps turn it into a weekend and scope out some good spots for dining while you make your decision.  I hear the sushi is fine in Seattle...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
 Ha! I'm not much of a Sushi fan, but Ivars sure makes a mean fish-n-chips and clam chowder!  It's sacrilegious not to stop there before or after a concert in Seattle.
 Yes, I have no problem making that drive if I'm gonna buy a guitar of that caliber. Heck, I'll make a day of it and try out different models at Guitar Center and then drive back home and order one from Sweetwater.  :biggrin:
 It will break my bank account so I'll have to live on beans and hot dogs for a while,, SO WORTH IT!!!  :metal

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:23:52 AM »
I owned two JP6, and currently own a JP7 and a JP12 :)
Short :
-JP are great guitars and have slight differences that help your choice
-Prefer a stainless steel one like BFR/JP12 or 15.../majesty
-If I didn't buy it in 2014 I wouldn't have bought the JP12 because of the darker sound and the flattest radius ever made, but that's so subtle it's not a real regret

Nowadays I'm just in love with majesty monarchy, sadly the french prices are an absolute no go

By what you say, you should find a JP15 with a finish that gives you night wet dreams :)
cheers
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:51:42 AM »
Or you can always rob a bank and have EB make you a Nomac Majesty :rollin

https://www.music-man.com/bfr/nomac
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »
I have three JP sig guitars at this point - an original JP6 without the piezo system, an Arctic Dream Majesty 7 string, and a Majestic Purple Monarchy Majesty 6 string. They're all amazing guitars, and I love them to death. They're easy to maintain, and so incredibly versatile guitars. Ergonomics is insanely good, and my guitar playing has improved ten-fold just through the sheer joy of playing these lovely guitars.

The black chrome hardware on the original majesty is a mess however, and new guitars dont even ship with it anymore. It rubs off really quickly, so it looks really dirty. Black hardware looks and feels better, imo.

Beware that if you're looking to buy it new, and they dont' have it in store, it may take quite a while to get the guitar. Last I checked a new order for Music Man has a 12 month delivery date on it. Think of this when you consider the color you want.

(I also have the JP-2C, the JP signature wah-wah, and the JP Dreamscape pedal, alongside with a whole bunch of other pedals for completions sake).

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
Ha! I'm not much of a Sushi fan, but Ivars sure makes a mean fish-n-chips and clam chowder!  It's sacrilegious not to stop there before or after a concert in Seattle.
 Yes, I have no problem making that drive if I'm gonna buy a guitar of that caliber. Heck, I'll make a day of it and try out different models at Guitar Center and then drive back home and order one from Sweetwater.  :biggrin:
 It will break my bank account so I'll have to live on beans and hot dogs for a while,, SO WORTH IT!!!  :metal

If you decide to go with Sweetwater, PM me and I'll hook you up with Andy if you don't already have a rep... he's an awesome rep and will take care of you for certain.

When I ordered the Majesty in 16, EBMM had a 3-month stated waiting period, but Sweetwater surprised me and I actually received it after only one month!  Sitting at work one day (actually in a Closing) and FedEx made a delivery to me... I knew immediately what it was and Andy called me about 10-minutes after it was delivered and said "Surprise"!

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
noxon,  that is an amazing collection, beautiful guitars and signed posters of keee-ler bands! It all belongs in a museum..  Thanks for sharing,  having guitars like that would inspire me to play too.

vtgrad, thanks for the heads up on Sweetwater, I've dealt with them before and they are always great. I will keep that in mind for sure!
 If I go to guitar center and try one out hands on and I like it, I might just get that guitar. Sweetwater is my go to place that I really trust though.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 09:13:42 AM »
The monarchy purple is my dream guitar :)
The black hardware is ok ?
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
Black hardware looks and feels amazing.