Author Topic: New interview with James LaBrie  (Read 9834 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: New interview with James LaBrie
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
"You just think in a VERY different way from me and other people, that's all.."

Not super-nice, imo. You may not agree but referring to "other people" without qualification implies all other people, which you can't speak for. A friend of mine once said, "it's nice to be nice" ...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2018, 09:16:22 PM »
Appreciated.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2018, 01:42:38 AM »

Not super-nice, imo. You may not agree but referring to "other people" without qualification implies all other people, which you can't speak for. A friend of mine once said, "it's nice to be nice" ...

Agreed It's not super nice, but "other people" doesn't include all other people, it only means "some" other people. But It's just semantics. Anyways, yeah, the remark is not super nice to begin with.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »
GREAT interview  :tup

Also to the mastering conversation - it’s no where near as simple as a guy mastered a record and it was brick walled therefore he shouldn’t master other records cause they will sound bad.

Usually a brick walled album that’s over the top (Death Magnetic was mentioned) has been screwed up at other parts of the production process. Ted Jensen mastered Death Magnetic and he’s a great mastering engineer, he’s on record saying that the mixes were already brick walled when he got them. At any point post-tracking the sound of an album can be shaped and in some cases can paint the mastering engineer into a corner.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »
Thanks again, man.

I found out today that the interview was used as a reference to the "Distance over Time" entry on Wikipedia. Always a great feeling when that happens: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_over_Time

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2018, 02:27:01 AM »
Thanks again, man.

I found out today that the interview was used as a reference to the "Distance over Time" entry on Wikipedia. Always a great feeling when that happens: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_over_Time

You're becoming a star, Rod! :metal :hefdaddy

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2018, 03:45:48 AM »
Thanks again, man.

and I put the reference in there. Out of respect towards you. You deserve it
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2018, 08:19:12 AM »
Thanks again, man.

Oh, thanks!!!

On becoming a "star": my idea was just to be paid to do these interviews and articles,  which is not the case at the moment.  We'll see...

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »

Nope.. As Bertielee said, saying "other people" doesn't imply saying "all other people"... it implies saying "other people".. So please don't twist my words..

I mean, doesn't he, or me, or you or everyone else think very different to other people about certain things?.. Not being nice or rude here, just being realistic..

Also to the mastering conversation - it’s no where near as simple as a guy mastered a record and it was brick walled therefore he shouldn’t master other records cause they will sound bad.

Exactly..

On becoming a "star": my idea was just to be paid to do these interviews and articles,  which is not the case at the moment.  We'll see...

That sucks man.. I hope they pay you soon!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2018, 01:16:48 PM »
Thanks again, man.

Oh, thanks!!!

If I would be receiving any money for these you know I would pay you, but you know I am not getting any money out of this.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2018, 08:50:24 PM »
Thanks for posting the interview. I thought the part about LaBrie's vocals being better suited to his solo stuff was very interesting.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
Great interview Rodrigo! I always look forward to your interviews and you do a great job!

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »
Finally got a chance to listen to it. Great interview, thanks man!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2018, 07:49:45 AM »
Thanks again for all the compliments guys! I'm hoping to interview JP when we get access to the album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
Thanks again for all the compliments guys! I'm hoping to interview JP when we get access to the album.

That would be amazing, hope you can make it happen!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »

Fingers crossed!