Author Topic: Stadler's Roulette, 2.0: Singles A's and B's: We have a Champeen!  (Read 47605 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Stadler's Roulette, Ver. 2.0: Singles A's and B's
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2018, 11:09:39 PM »
I'll post who sent what in the morning...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2018, 02:41:37 AM »
I honestly couldn't do much with the Kiss reference, because I know Rock'n'Roll All Nite and that's it... so I just focused on sending a great single and a great B-side... so I'm probably the guy with less than two for creativity.

I just hope my songs themselves do well enough, then I might still get decent points. Oh well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »
I sent one of my favourite bands, and picked the songs with Eric Singer on drums. I'll probably get a 2.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2018, 04:09:56 AM »
I honestly couldn't do much with the Kiss reference, because I know Rock'n'Roll All Nite and that's it..

Think yourself lucky you only know the one song mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2018, 04:59:44 AM »
I honestly couldn't do much with the Kiss reference, because I know Rock'n'Roll All Nite and that's it..

:clap:

Kudos to whoever sent The Night Flight Orchestra.  That was on my to-do list for this roulette.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »
One guy (this is as close as you're getting to hangman, at least this round, so you can guess):
           Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock: Wicked
           Crowded House: Lester  (Added bonus of this being what I consider the quintessential b-side type song)

Lowdz

Somebody else scored full points in a totally different way, one in which I never expected:
          Night Flight Orchestra: Paralyzed (Kiss has a song "Paralyzed" from Revenge, but this isn't it)
          Night Flight Orchestra: Living for the Nighttime

Wolfking

I sent one of my favourite bands, and picked the songs with Eric Singer on drums. I'll probably get a 2.

Avantasia
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2018, 06:12:07 AM »
What the hell is memorex? A google search returned way too many results
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »

Nekov, Memorex made blank cassette tapes back in the day. "Is it live or is it Memorex?" was their advertising tag line. They wanted you to think that hearing a recording on one of their tapes sounded as good as a live performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2018, 06:37:51 AM »
Ahhh, good to know. Thanks TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2018, 06:43:45 AM »

Nekov, Memorex made blank cassette tapes back in the day. "Is it live or is it Memorex?" was their advertising tag line. They wanted you to think that hearing a recording on one of their tapes sounded as good as a live performance.

Oh the memories.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2018, 06:48:41 AM »
Yup!

I have no idea what to do with that theme..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2018, 07:02:36 AM »
I really shouldn't share this for all the youngins, but I'm just too nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyFcJcZiaU

Though, I was always partial to Maxell XLII's, and the dude sitting in the recliner.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2018, 07:17:43 AM »

:clap:

Kudos to whoever sent The Night Flight Orchestra.  That was on my to-do list for this roulette.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2018, 07:35:15 AM »
Yup!

I have no idea what to do with that theme..

Yes you do.   I told you guys I had something in mind, but for the life of me I couldn't think of a good enough hint that wouldn't make it obvious and thus suck the creativity out of the room.   But you did. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »

Though, I was always partial to Maxell XLII's, and the dude sitting in the recliner.

I'm in my home office right now, and if I crane my head a little I can see a box of about 40 of just those tapes.   I used to listen to albums (vinyl) in the house, but tape EVERYTHING so I could listen in the car.   Honestly?  Even in this age of digital this and iPod that, I would still do that if I had a player in the car (and a recorder in the house).   Once in a blue moon a tape would jam or unspool, but those were good times.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:03 AM »

I'm in my home office right now, and if I crane my head a little I can see a box of about 40 of just those tapes.   I used to listen to albums (vinyl) in the house, but tape EVERYTHING so I could listen in the car.   Honestly?  Even in this age of digital this and iPod that, I would still do that if I had a player in the car (and a recorder in the house).   Once in a blue moon a tape would jam or unspool, but those were good times.   

The stories I have about my briefcases and bookcases full of XLII tapes of album-rips and mixed songs....  Still to this day, I get a huge thrill of hearing songs back-to-back on Classic Rock radio that were back-to-back on one of my mixed tapes (eg, every time I hear White Rabbit, I fully expect to hear Imagine next).

I tossed all those cassettes 10+ years ago.  No longer had a cassette deck, and I had every song on them digitally.  I did create some playlists that matched the mixed tapes though.   :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2018, 08:02:14 AM »

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2018, 08:11:55 AM »
Same, my song doesn't really have anything to do with the band Kiss either  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
But - and I only say this for future rounds - the Kiss thing wasn't absolute in that sense, if you got an angle on things, I'm open to it.  One person - they can share if they want - took "Kiss" to be the literal act of a "kiss" and maybe it's because I'm a sap who cries at commercials, but I thought it was clever and touching and they'll get, if not all 3, then more than 2 of the available points.   

If you're thinking "wow these themes suck", I would offer that you think "how can I make this NOT suck?" and submit that. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
I actually thought about sending some love songs about kisses and all, good to know that would've worked too. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:11 AM »

The stories I have about my briefcases and bookcases full of XLII tapes of album-rips and mixed songs....  Still to this day, I get a huge thrill of hearing songs back-to-back on Classic Rock radio that were back-to-back on one of my mixed tapes (eg, every time I hear White Rabbit, I fully expect to hear Imagine next).

I tossed all those cassettes 10+ years ago.  No longer had a cassette deck, and I had every song on them digitally.  I did create some playlists that matched the mixed tapes though.   :metal

My problem is that I had a ton of songs from 7" singles and whatnot that for a while (some to this day) weren't released on CD.   So a couple years ago, I had a Sony video camera that had a converter in it, and I was able to jury-rig a set up where the cassette (or vinyl, or VHS tape) would play "through" the camera and into my Mac.  Songs like "Looking At You, Looking At Me" and "You Said It All", by Ozzy, some b-sides by Fastway, a couple live b-sides by Rainbow, the vinyl version of Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Live Alive" (which has one song that was never released on CD; I  think it's because there is a rap in the middle by SRV that sounds incredibly racist even though I think his intent was exactly the opposite)... I've found most of them later on CD for better quality, but for a while there I had probably three or four CDs worth of material that I couldn't get any other way.   I'm enough of a completist that I couldn't toss them. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2018, 08:50:35 AM »
I hope Stads got that the first song was basically a lot of ass-kissing. The second one was pretty obvious though.

Regarding the new themes, I have no clue what I will do with that Memorex one.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2018, 08:58:22 AM »
My problem is that I had a ton of songs from 7" singles and whatnot that for a while (some to this day) weren't released on CD.   So a couple years ago, I had a Sony video camera that had a converter in it, and I was able to jury-rig a set up where the cassette (or vinyl, or VHS tape) would play "through" the camera and into my Mac.  Songs like "Looking At You, Looking At Me" and "You Said It All", by Ozzy, some b-sides by Fastway, a couple live b-sides by Rainbow, the vinyl version of Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Live Alive" (which has one song that was never released on CD; I  think it's because there is a rap in the middle by SRV that sounds incredibly racist even though I think his intent was exactly the opposite)... I've found most of them later on CD for better quality, but for a while there I had probably three or four CDs worth of material that I couldn't get any other way.   I'm enough of a completist that I couldn't toss them. 

I hear ya bro.  I had a similar kind of jury-rigged setup to get all of my Maxell XLIIs (where I couldn't download a digital replacement) as well as VHS and camcorder tapes and discs digitized.  Took me quite a few months, but I eventually got everything I had in tape (audio and video) converted to .mp3 and .mp4 - some things that are not (now will ever by) available online anywhere, because I recorded them from a live broadcast TV or Radio show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
If you want, you can guess who sent what....

MSG Temple of Rock - Wicked
   Crowded House - Lester
        Symphony X - Run With The Devil
   Accept - Final Journey
        EdGuy - Love Tyger
   Sonata Arctica - Cinderblox
        Night Flight Orchestra - Paralyzed
   Night Flight Orchestra - Living For The Nighttime
        Avantasia - The Toy Master
   Avantasia - Dying For An Angel
Wolkking
   Avantasia - Restless Heart
   Dream Evil - Creature Of The Night
   Anathema - Untouchable Pt. 1
   Anathema - Untouchable Pt. 2
Home
   Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
   Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into
Elite
        Ulver - Rolling Stone
   Ulver - The Future Sound of Music
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:21:49 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »
I'm going to listen again today, and start writeups tonight or tomorrow morning.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
well... Rom sent Night Flight Orchestra.

Edguy/Sonata Arctica - Firewings
Avantasia - Evermind
Avantasia / Dream Evil - Wolfking
Anathema - Nekov?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
Star One has to be Chad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2018, 09:43:08 AM »
Elite sent Ulver.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2018, 09:44:48 AM »
Star One has to be Chad.

You'd think that, but there's no way in hell I'd send DTP in a roulette.  Not a big enough fan to do that.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:00 AM »
LOVE T-T-T-T-T-T-TYGER :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
Anathema might be Sacul

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »
well... Rom sent Night Flight Orchestra.

Edguy/Sonata Arctica - Firewings
Avantasia - Evermind
Avantasia / Dream Evil - Wolfking
Anathema - Nekov?

Dude, did you hack my account?!?   Correct, correct, correct.  Nekov isn't right, but that is an impressive run.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »
Star One has to be Chad.

I hinted at this before.  I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that this is the song of the round, and I know Chad would be proud, though he didn't send it.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »
Star One has to be Chad.

I hinted at this before.  I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that this is the song of the round, and I know Chad would be proud, though he didn't send it.  :)

That's not even the song of the ALBUM.   :lol