Author Topic: Help me to choose my song please!  (Read 2278 times)

Offline NathaliaReiser

Help me to choose my song please!
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
Hello guys!

I’m a huge Dream Theater fan, and I’ll get married next year. I want to entry the ceremony with a Dream Theater song. I’m having trouble to choose which one! My weeding invitation already has a line from Illumination theory. I was thinking about I walk Beside you, but I’ll let my bridesmaids entry with this one! Please help me to decide!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Help me to choose my song please!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Honestly, maybe go with a JP solo ballad, or something from LTE. Something pretty with guitar/keyboard focus.

Unless you want to walk in 19/16 time signature.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
I'm as big a Dream Theater fan as they come, but I don't understand your request.  I'm not sure how a Dream Theater song would be appropriate for a wedding.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »
If this is your first marriage, how about A Nightmare To Remember..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
I'm as big a Dream Theater fan as they come, but I don't understand your request.  I'm not sure how a Dream Theater song would be appropriate for a wedding.

Yea, I was going to say something like this, but figured the DTF peeps would ban me on principle or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »
Eve.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »

Yea, I was going to say something like this, but figured the DTF peeps would ban me on principle or something.

Why?  They're a fantastic band, and obviously my favorite.  But they don't really do love songs or things that I would ever want as part of a wedding ceremony.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NathaliaReiser

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
Honestly, maybe go with a JP solo ballad, or something from LTE. Something pretty with guitar/keyboard focus.

Unless you want to walk in 19/16 time signature.

That’s a very good idea! I love a lot of song but to choose one is really hard

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »

Why?  They're a fantastic band, and obviously my favorite.  But they don't really do love songs or things that I would ever want as part of a wedding ceremony.

Good thing it ain't your wedding! How about Eve, Hell's Kitchen maybe (idk), I Walk Beside You...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline NathaliaReiser

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »

I don’t agree with you. They may not do a lot of romantic songs, but they do talk about love a lot.

Offline NathaliaReiser

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
You're doing it wrong. Just keep shacking up and don't worry about the wedding part. However, since nobody ever listens to me on that, I'll tell you how to make DT work at your (inadvisable, seriously) wedding. Find a friend that plays guitar, and have him play an acoustic version of some song(s) you like. That way you've got the whole catalog to choose from and aren't limited to their cheesy, ballady material. More importantly you can stick with the themes and the melodies while not enraging your guests.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »
Agree with everyone, Eve would be great

I would also throw out The count of Tuscany, or at least the more laid back chill parts. The opening 3 mins still gives me chills.

Besides that Maybe Hells kitchen, Another day, Lifting shadows off a dream, One last time, Vacant or Far from heaven.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
This Is The Life.   Love that song.  Though I'm sort of with Bosk on this.  Kiss is one of my favorite bands of all time but it was never even a consideration that I'd play a Kiss song at either of my weddings (a nod to el Barto).

What was I going to play?   "Love Gun"?   "Nothing To Lose" (funnier, if you know what the song is about)?  And to be honest, I can't remember one song - actually I can ONE song, "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago but only because there's a story there - from my first wedding, and none, maybe one from my second. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
I think strutting in to I Was Made For Loving You would be pretty cool.

Offline NathaliaReiser

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »
This Is The Life.   Love that song.  Though I'm sort of with Bosk on this.  Kiss is one of my favorite bands of all time but it was never even a consideration that I'd play a Kiss song at either of my weddings (a nod to el Barto).

What was I going to play?   "Love Gun"?   "Nothing To Lose" (funnier, if you know what the song is about)?  And to be honest, I can't remember one song - actually I can ONE song, "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago but only because there's a story there - from my first wedding, and none, maybe one from my second.

Love “This is the Life”!!! I’m not thinking to play during the wedding, just to enter the ceremony. This is such a special band for me, I can’t imagine to get married without it.

Offline NathaliaReiser

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »
If this is your first marriage, how about A Nightmare To Remember..

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 07:57:32 AM »
I think strutting in to I Was Made For Loving You would be pretty cool.

For my third wedding.  ;)   At that point, the irony would be worth it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »

Love “This is the Life”!!! I’m not thinking to play during the wedding, just to enter the ceremony. This is such a special band for me, I can’t imagine to get married without it.

And that's the important thing; it's YOUR day, and should be the way YOU want it.    Congratulations and godspeed!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:34 AM »
Wasn't there an album out shortly after Octavairum that was all orchestral? Maybe something off that?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »
How long does it have to be? The first minute and 10 seconds of Illumination Theory make for a pretty grandiose entrance. If you need it to be longer I'm pretty sure you can get someone to loop it and make it sound like that's they way it's supposed to be.

On the other hand, if you want to follow El Barto's advice just ask the sound guy to play Another Day and don't show up  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Is this even real?  :lol

I'm with some others though, I don't know if there is a DT song that should be played at a wedding, at all.  However, if I had to choose, I think eve is a good choice.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
Honor Thy Father, but starting with "Don't cross the crooked step". Then have everyone start walking in.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Is this even real?  :lol

I'm with some others though, I don't know if there is a DT song that should be played at a wedding, at all.  However, if I had to choose, I think eve is a good choice.
It can be done tastefully, but just playing a song from the CD won't qualify. Like I said, hire a guy to play acoustic guitar in a corner up front for 20 minutes while people file in. He can play tasteful melodies from a variety of songs that have significance to the misguided couple. Nobody will be annoyed and a few will recognize and appreciate the songs chosen.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »
I don't know where you live, but try to get this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-i5eJGbEwc

Doesn't he post here? Or used to? Dude could make bank playing weddings for DT fans.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
Honor Thy Father, but starting with "Don't cross the crooked step". Then have everyone start walking in.
Winner
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
^
 :D

Two options:  the end of 'The Astonishing', since the lyrics are:

"Eternally
 In harmony
 Our lives will be
 Astonishing
 Again"

Or, the final 53 seconds of 'Dystopian Overture', since that has the same melody as above. 

Or, you enter to that instrumental, and exit to 'The Astonishing' segment.

Heck, Jordan's 'Notes On A Dream' disc has a dozen piano tracks that would work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:40:12 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
Chosen
Speak to Me
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
Through Her Eyes (Alternate album mix) The sax solo by itself will melt hearts.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
Petrucci and Rudess did and instrumental album many years ago. It's been a long time since I've listened to it, but I recall there being some fantastic stuff on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Evening-John-Petrucci-Jordan-Rudess/dp/B0002235E4/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1542829144&sr=1-5&keywords=petrucci

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 01:50:28 PM »
Through Her Eyes (Alternate album mix) The sax solo by itself will melt hearts.

Better yet, I would play Through Her Eyes (Long Titanic Mix). You could use that as background music during the reception.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 08:06:28 PM »
I'd go with "Never Enough". Set the stage for the first argument. :)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »
In The Presence of Enemies, Pt 1....the first holiday get together......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!