Author Topic: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?  (Read 16457 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
I doubt it has anything to do with the Japanese market. If you look at the bigger InsideOut releases in recent years, almost all of them had bonus tracks or bonus discs. Officially those are on the "limited edition", so it's a way to get people to buy an album sooner and pay more (when the album gets discounted, that'll usually be the standard edition with the bonus stuff missing).

This is true, but it's always different bonus tracks for Japanese editions. Even if some deluxe European edition has a bonus track, the Japanese version of the same album would have a different bonus track, not available anywhere else.

In some cases, the band would openly tell you to download or listen to the bonus tracks elsewhere, if you bought the actual album. That was the case with Sonata Arctica when they released either The Days of Grays or Stones Grow Her Name (honestly don't remember which one). European edition had one bonus track, Japanese edition had another, and I think the digital release (or some other release) had a third bonus track, and there was no way to get them unless you bought all three editions. The band's singer just said, well, everyone who bought the album is free to find the bonus tracks via any means available.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
 The transcript is sent...it will be published today, and the audio will be published tomorrow!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
The transcript is sent...it will be published today, and the audio will be published tomorrow!

:tup

Offline dream75

« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »

:metal:hefdaddy

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »

Can’t wait!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »

Thanks!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
Sweet! Thanks again for your dedication, man :)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
Many labels have as part of their distribution contracts in Japan that Japanese versions of albums must have exclusive bonus tracks for the Japanese release, or else they will only stock the "import" version of the album in Japan, which cost more yen, which means potentially lower album sales in Japan.  This has been in practice since at least the '80s.
Just to clarify - apparently it's actually cheaper to sell the "import" version of an album in Japan, then to sell the "domestic" version. So to entice the Japanese public to buy the "domestic" version, labels include bonus tracks. Examples old-school DT fans might be familiar with Awake had a 3" CD containing Eve, and FII had a 3" CD containing the demo version of TAMP and Speak to Me.

But as someone else mentioned, these days, regional bonus tracks, and tracks for "limited" or "deluxe" editions have become much more common. So I guess time will tell exactly what edition or region this bonus track (and perhaps any others that may exist) will end up on.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
in about how many hours will this be posted? Just so i know if i'll read it before i go to bed :-)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2018, 01:52:39 PM »
I understand the reasoning and the history of Japanese bonus tracks, just seems like we are beyond that these days with how music is consumed by streaming.  I think labels forcing bands to make songs for Japan seems a bit ridiculous in todays world, but I am not really complaining.  I'm actually kind of excited to know there will be at least one bonus track for this album.  I'm not one to complain about getting more music from a band I love. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
in about how many hours will this be posted? Just so i know if i'll read it before i go to bed :-)

It depends on MinistroRaven, but he told me it should be up in an hour or so.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
Wow that was a fantastic read. as I've said, I don't get in to these interviews because people tend to say the same trite things over and over again. But James is a pure pleasure to read. You feel his passion for the music and the band, the appreciation for the talents he's been fortunate enough to work with, all with a degree of humility and humbleness.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
@RodrigoAltaf: Did you manage to listen to something beforehand?

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
I would like to know why he does not use his beautiful live vibratto on the albums. I think using them here and there would improve his performances on the records. Thank you! 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
And here it is!!!

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/its-surprising-how-prolific-and-how-fast-things-were-coming-together-in-the-writing-of-the-new-album-dream-theaters-james-labrie-discusses-the-writing-of-the-new-album-distance-over-timeand-more?fbclid=IwAR1eV6SqRP7AqBWCUQSjbgysLux_Nan7-4R5ZrjTNFRPPvbtAkZVAfA4JmA

Thanks for this, good interview.  One thing I found interesting.... they've recorded every show since the ADTOE tour and one day maybe something will see the light of day in terms of ytse jam.  That is really good to hear, although I have no expectations of anything soon, but makes me think one day in the distance future we could be seeing some of these old shows get a release in some form.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
thanks!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
@RodrigoAltaf: Did you manage to listen to something beforehand?

No he didn’t, as promos are not available yet.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »
Great read Rodrogo. And great questions. No LaBrie burger recipe though :tdwn  ;)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
Great read Rodrogo. And great questions. No LaBrie burger recipe though :tdwn  ;)

Man...a burger is a burger...you put it in a grill, turn it a few times and it's done!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2018, 04:38:12 PM »

Man...a burger is a burger...you put it in a grill, turn it a few times and it's done!

Lol. No man...there are burgers, and then THERE ARE burgers.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
Great interview! :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »

Rod you are being heretic!!!

There are burgues and THE BURGUERS!! I freaking loves good burguer

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »

Rod you are being heretic!!!

There are burgues and THE BURGUERS!! I freaking loves good burguer

Riiight!!! They all taste the same to me!

Hey, for the sake of clarity and relevance, I will open another topic and post the interview.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2018, 04:17:05 AM »
Great interview, man!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2018, 04:55:28 AM »
Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
That's right, I forgot about the burger comment.  Sorry, folks--Rodrigo is being banned from the forum for burger heresy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
That's right, I forgot about the burger comment.  Sorry, folks--Rodrigo is being banned from the forum for burger heresy.

Hahah...come on, man, next time you're in Toronto I'll take you to a place called Burgatory - all burgers are named after capital sins. I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

Hahah...come on, man, next time you're in Toronto I'll take you to a place called Burgatory - all burgers are named after capital sins. I'm sure it'll be worth it!

And to your sins, you have now added bribery! 

...and I'm okay with that.   :angel: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »

Burgerlust?
Burgluttony?
Burgreed?
Slothburger?
Wrathburger?
Burgenvy?
Prideburger?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
Check it out - I usually get the sloth: https://www.burgatorycanada.com/menu/

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
They should adopt my names  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »
Wrath and greed look pretty good too.  :drool: