Author Topic: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?  (Read 16448 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »
What's the point of smoking a cigar if you don't inhale?
You draw the smoke into your mouth and exhale, observing the flavors, consistency, and quality of the smoke itself...

Then you blow that stinky, toxic shit out to cloud the nice, clean air of everyone within a 20' radius.
Actually, you should be considerate and not smoke around non-smokers at all.

I (and all other cigar smokers I know) only smoke at our homes or in cigar lounges.  People that smoke in other places (where they are generally not welcome, for understandable reasons) are typically assholes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
I didn't mean to imply smoking in public is assholery behavior. I don't want to smell it, but recognize that in public places where smoking is allowable, my preferences shouldn't automatically infringe on the rights of others. I am not a Liberal.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
I didn't mean to imply smoking in public is assholery behavior. I don't want to smell it, but recognize that in public places where smoking is allowable, my preferences shouldn't automatically infringe on the rights of others. I am not a Liberal.
Not sure what else you would have been implying by that line.

Also not sure why you felt the need to make a political joke, but let's leave those in P/R.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
I only smoke cigars and pipes at my home too or in a tobacco shop some 15 minutes away from my place. I understand how people feel because I don't like cigarette smoke when smoked close to me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
Apologies for my part in the continued derailment.

On topic, I don't generally read these interviews, they just don't interest me much. But I am always down for hearing/reading anything James has to say.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »
I'm not sure having an occasional smoke will destroy your voice, but I can't imagine him smoking on tour and performing at a high level like he needs to for DT.  Maybe when he was younger that was possible. 

I'm sure cigars aren't the only smokes he enjoys  :lol

Well it IS legal here now in the Great White North...

Offline dream75

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
When's the last time DT had bonus track/s on an album?

The Enemy Inside instrumental  in the Japanese version of DT12

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »

I didn't even know that was released!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
If by 'bonus track' you mean 'original song written by the band, not available in the standard edition of the album' (which seems to be the case this time around, judging by James' comment), then the last time was 1997. ("The Way it Used to Be", a b-side in the "Hollow Years" single.)

Offline dream75

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »

I didn't even know that was released!

:rollin
https://youtu.be/dSRjd_saTDU

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
I'm not sure having an occasional smoke will destroy your voice, but I can't imagine him smoking on tour and performing at a high level like he needs to for DT.  Maybe when he was younger that was possible. 

I'm not so sure that he was high. If you watch it again....I think they just got a case of the laughs/giggles to where there was nothing they could do....they were unable to control the laughter. Been there....done that.....a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP6pmJdQZ0
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »

I'm not so sure that he was high. If you watch it again....I think they just got a case of the laughs/giggles to where there was nothing they could do....they were unable to control the laughter. Been there....done that.....a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP6pmJdQZ0

5 years later and this still makes me laugh like the first time :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline krands85

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2018, 01:52:39 PM »
 :rollin

honestly probably one of the funniest things I've seen from DT.  It cracks me up every time and it's great because it's just laughter so I've shown this to people who don't know what DT are but they end up laughing along too.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Jame's hair in that interview looks like Sean Penn's hair on Fast Times at Ridgemont High... :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
If by 'bonus track' you mean 'original song written by the band, not available in the standard edition of the album' (which seems to be the case this time around, judging by James' comment), then the last time was 1997. ("The Way it Used to Be", a b-side in the "Hollow Years" single.)

Inside Out do like their digipack special editions with bonus tracks, sometimes a whole bonus disc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »

Inside Out do like their digipack special editions with bonus tracks, sometimes a whole bonus disc.

Well, more DT is never a bad thing, right? :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
No complaints from me, give me all the bonus material!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
No complaints from me, give me all the bonus material!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2018, 12:46:27 AM »
It would be strange for DT to have an original composition as a bonus track, something new for sure.
Let's see, can't wait to read the interview!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2018, 01:27:50 AM »
If it's an original composition and it's good, why not just include on the album in the first place? If it's not good, throw it away. I really don't get this bonus stuff. An album is a piece of art for me and a bonus track is an add-on about which I never know if it belongs to the album or not.
It's like reading a great book, reading the last word, and thinking "wow that was awesome" and then realising there's actually a few pages you didn't notice, starting with "oh by the way dude, there's more".
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2018, 01:38:32 AM »
The only thing that annoys me about bonus tracks is when they're lazily slapped at the end of the disc, rather than incorporating it into the tracklist where it makes most sense. How many times an album has a clear closer, and then comes the bonus track which is like an anticlimatic encore...

Aside from that, more stuff, the better!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2018, 04:03:40 AM »
The transcript is almost done. It's nine freaking pages of a Word document, and I'm on page seven. We use a software to transcribe, but it comes out full of mistakes and I need to listen to the audio again and tidy up the result - remove the excessive "you knows", "I means" and try to make it more streamlined and coherent than just a verbatim transcript.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2018, 04:51:15 AM »
The only thing that annoys me about bonus tracks is when they're lazily slapped at the end of the disc, rather than incorporating it into the tracklist where it makes most sense. How many times an album has a clear closer, and then comes the bonus track which is like an anticlimatic encore...

Aside from that, more stuff, the better!

I agree with that, The prog band Vanden Plas used to do it all the time and it wound me up! They’d have the clear closer then a random song that doesn’t fit at the end. Maybe DT ran out of disc space?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2018, 04:56:31 AM »
The transcript is almost done. It's nine freaking pages of a Word document, and I'm on page seven. We use a software to transcribe, but it comes out full of mistakes and I need to listen to the audio again and tidy up the result - remove the excessive "you knows", "I means" and try to make it more streamlined and coherent than just a verbatim transcript.

Every language has its mannerisms, so this is not a critic per se on the english language... but to non native speakers, those "you know" stick out sooooo much when hearing someone speaking  :D good call to remove them!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
The piano and guitar outro on DT12 after Illumination Theory..

That one was clearly a hidden track, not a bonus track..

Good catch!.. (buenaaa :lol)

I think that this new bonus track is a different case though.. TWiUtB , like Eve or To Live Forever, were songs composed long before they released them as official songs, and also they were all released on EP's or along the single.. I know that we don't know yet how they'll release this new bonus track, but we do know the song was composed at the same time that the rest of the album..

Anyways, I'm cool with any way they decide to release it!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
I don't know what the bonus track is, but I think it is likely that it might just be the required bonus track for the Japanese release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
I don't know what the bonus track is, but I think it is likely that it might just be the required bonus track for the Japanese release.

What do you mean required?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
Not to answer for bosk, but, well, as far as I know, albums on Japanese market cost a lot more than your usual run-of-the-mill ~$15, so in order to make it worthwhile for Japanese listeners, the label would often push the band to add some bonus material for Japanese versions of the album. Usually it results in a bonus track or two added, which are not released elsewhere. A lot of bands do that nowadays, so that would be a reasonable assumption.

Looking forward to the interview!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
Many labels have as part of their distribution contracts in Japan that Japanese versions of albums must have exclusive bonus tracks for the Japanese release, or else they will only stock the "import" version of the album in Japan, which cost more yen, which means potentially lower album sales in Japan.  This has been in practice since at least the '80s.  I believe DT's new label may be one that has such a term.

EDIT:  Yeah, kind of what Evermind said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
I didn't know it was a contractual obligation though, that's interesting, and yeah, makes sense.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
I heard that from Dave Meniketti (Y&T) years ago, but I don't know the specifics beyond that.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
I doubt it has anything to do with the Japanese market. If you look at the bigger InsideOut releases in recent years, almost all of them had bonus tracks or bonus discs. Officially those are on the "limited edition", so it's a way to get people to buy an album sooner and pay more (when the album gets discounted, that'll usually be the standard edition with the bonus stuff missing).
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."