Author Topic: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?  (Read 16446 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
 Guys,

I am interviewing James tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions for him!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Interviewing James tomorrow. Questions for him?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
How is Mike Mangini as a lyricist?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JLa

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:19:24 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts on singing the older material live (and the new, for that matter!). I haven't seen DT live for years, but from recent video clips it seems he's really struggling.

Only downside is that I don't know how one could raise this without offending him. That's not the intention at all. Just interested in his thoughts and how the band approaches live acts nowadays..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:45 AM »
You might just approach it in a softer, more indirect way.  Maybe along the lines of:  "Do you find it more challenging now, 25 years after the fact, to sing that extremely challenging material from Images and Words night after night on tour?  How do you approach that on tour?"  Something along those lines, maybe?

I would like to hear anything he can share about the recording of the vocals on the last three albums, the process of that, and how it may be different from the pre-Mangini years.

Also, he made a comment years back that he would try to take over the "official bootlegs," but that now appears to have been abandoned.  Are there any plans to get something like that up and running again?  If so, why types of things might they put out?  Would it be items for purchase like when Portnoy's team oversaw Ytsejam, or more along the lines of "gifts" like the Christmas live release they did from the ADTOE tour?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »
You might just approach it in a softer, more indirect way.  Maybe along the lines of:  "Do you find it more challenging now, 25 years after the fact, to sing that extremely challenging material from Images and Words night after night on tour?  How do you approach that on tour?"  Something along those lines, maybe?

I would like to hear anything he can share about the recording of the vocals on the last three albums, the process of that, and how it may be different from the pre-Mangini years.

Also, he made a comment years back that he would try to take over the "official bootlegs," but that now appears to have been abandoned.  Are there any plans to get something like that up and running again?  If so, why types of things might they put out?  Would it be items for purchase like when Portnoy's team oversaw Ytsejam, or more along the lines of "gifts" like the Christmas live release they did from the ADTOE tour?

God one about Ytsejam. And yeah, there won't be any negativity from me towards his vocals.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »
I'd like someone to very respectfully ask if James and Portnoy have made the same amends that it seems MP and JP have. I know it is a difficult ask, and I'm not sure how to phrase it. But my interest is not for headlines, but generally wishing that MP and everyone in DT are all in a good spot together, and that hopefully down the road, there can be a celebration of the band (ala When Images and Words Reunite) that involves Portnoy. Nobody is getting any younger, and it seems silly to have animosity between any of these guys. MP would not have gone anywhere without James' voice, and James wouldn't have gone anywhere without the band that MP spearheaded. They may have been at one another over the years, but hell, I'd like to think they, like all of us, have gotten wiser over the years, and perhaps forgiving.

Not sure how you ask and phrase the question though. I only had to ask a similar question of a public figure once in my decade or so as a journalist, and to be honest, I fumbled it big time.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
I'd like someone to very respectfully ask if James and Portnoy have made the same amends that it seems MP and JP have. I know it is a difficult ask, and I'm not sure how to phrase it. But my interest is not for headlines, but generally wishing that MP and everyone in DT are all in a good spot together, and that hopefully down the road, there can be a celebration of the band (ala When Images and Words Reunite) that involves Portnoy. Nobody is getting any younger, and it seems silly to have animosity between any of these guys. MP would not have gone anywhere without James' voice, and James wouldn't have gone anywhere without the band that MP spearheaded. They may have been at one another over the years, but hell, I'd like to think they, like all of us, have gotten wiser over the years, and perhaps forgiving.

Not sure how you ask and phrase the question though. I only had to ask a similar question of a public figure once in my decade or so as a journalist, and to be honest, I fumbled it big time.  :lol

I don' think I can find a way to ask a question like that in a tasteful/tactful manner. I'll feel like I'm part of Blabbermouth if I ask him that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
Weirdass question, but ask him how he deals with the differences between his own voice recorded and his voice he feels in his head. I assume you all know that your own speaking voice that you hear when you talk is NOT the voice that everyone else hears... and 99% of people hate to hear their recorded voice. He's obviously fine with the voice we all hear, but I'm curious to know if he ever had to struggle as us "mere mortals" with the difference between his voice he hears when speaking, and the voice that ends up on the records!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
To what capacity was your involvement in the writing process for Distance Over Time (edit: and how has it differed to previous albums where you've been involved)? Obviously all of the band were there interacting but as a vocalist how do you get your ideas across?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
Weirdass question, but ask him how he deals with the differences between his own voice recorded and his voice he feels in his head. I assume you all know that your own speaking voice that you hear when you talk is NOT the voice that everyone else hears... and 99% of people hate to hear their recorded voice. He's obviously fine with the voice we all hear, but I'm curious to know if he ever had to struggle as us "mere mortals" with the difference between his voice he hears when speaking, and the voice that ends up on the records!

I like where this is going.

By the way, I asked him for a copy of the album to prepare for tomorrow, but I'm not expecting him to send it to me. I'll ask about what has been revealed so far, and use the interview with Petrucci for Rolling Stone as a source.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
I'd love to hear more about the process for the new album. Everything from the writing process as a group to how they wrote melodies and lyrics. Specific questions about the lyrics he wrote for the new album would be interesting to hear. Much like JP described his lyrical approach to Barstool Warrior in the RS article, I'd like to hear about the subject matter that James wrote about.

Also, I'd be interested to hear about the process of recording vocals this time around, how it differed from previous records or how it didn't. They worked with a new engineer and a new mixer, the effect those guys had on the final product would be cool to hear about too.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Is he going to release another solo album anytime in the near future?

Also, it would be interesting to see what he thinks of the vocal production of the latest albums, as it seems they're more filled with effects on his voice.

Another point i would like to see James' point of view, would be the reception to The Astonishing, given how much of a presence he had on the album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 09:02:57 AM »
What's his burger recipe?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
From the initial 30 second sample and the description in the Rolling Stone interview, it sounds like DOT could be a close follow up to what was done on their self-titled album - is that an accurate perception? How does this album differ from the self-titled one? How was the writing and recording process different from the self-titled one (aside from the location)? What was the initial idea for what direction the album should take? How did they determine they had enough material to end the writing sessions - did they sit down and add up the times of the songs? Was a lot of material left on the cutting room floor? Was there any extra tracks (or even alternate versions of songs like the piano-vocal version of Wither) that were written and possibly recorded that will not be on the album? What differences will there be when they perform SFaM in full in comparison to when they did it in 2000 - will it be similar to what they did with the IaW material on the last tour (stretching some parts out, updating it, etc)? How many songs did he write lyrics for? How involved was he with the songwriting process being that he was in attendance for the whole thing?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »

YES!  JP said the "pirate burgers" were amazing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
Are you bringing any new equipment on the road? Such as new microphones, in-ear-monitors, or something made by Rupert Neve Designs?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
From the initial 30 second sample and the description in the Rolling Stone interview, it sounds like DOT could be a close follow up to what was done on their self-titled album - is that an accurate perception? How does this album differ from the self-titled one? How was the writing and recording process different from the self-titled one (aside from the location)? What was the initial idea for what direction the album should take? How did they determine they had enough material to end the writing sessions - did they sit down and add up the times of the songs? Was a lot of material left on the cutting room floor? Was there any extra tracks (or even alternate versions of songs like the piano-vocal version of Wither) that were written and possibly recorded that will not be on the album? What differences will there be when they perform SFaM in full in comparison to when they did it in 2000 - will it be similar to what they did with the IaW material on the last tour (stretching some parts out, updating it, etc)? How many songs did he write lyrics for? How involved was he with the songwriting process being that he was in attendance for the whole thing?

Thanks!!! Some great questions there - I had one or two that were similar, but really like your questions, man.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
I would ask him how much effort it takes to memorize the lyrics on new albums

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
I'd like someone to very respectfully ask if James and Portnoy have made the same amends that it seems MP and JP have. I know it is a difficult ask, and I'm not sure how to phrase it. But my interest is not for headlines, but generally wishing that MP and everyone in DT are all in a good spot together

Not at all. It seems like Mike's only in good terms with JP and JR.
I assume his relationship with JM is "Ok" but not as good as with Petrucci or Jordan. They supposedly live super close to each other, so I imagine they at least cross paths every once in a while, but I don't think they like to hang with each other too much (this could all be wrong, btw).

About Mangini, Portnoy seems to have some sort of beef with him. Mangini's always said nice things about MP, but he keeps refering to him as "their drummer". It's not like they don't know each other, they were supposed to be good friends before the split. I get you'd be mad with the person who replaced you at first, but it's been 8 years already and Mangini had nothing to do with the split to begin with, so holding something against him is childish at best.

Finally (and sorry for the long post btw :laugh:), I'd say that Portnoy's "least favorite DT member" is James. I'm not sure if it was this year or last year, but around the time SOA announced tour dates, there weren't any Canadian dates or something like that, and someone jokingly asked MP why did he hates canadians, to which he answered "only one". It's pretty clear he wasn't talking about Justin Bieber :lol

TL;DR: No way.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »
Anyway, I'd like to know, if there's a subtle way to ask him this, if he can share a bit more about the reason he had to cancel his show at PP this year. I know for fact that the PP promoter was really pissed about this, and I imagine James' band members weren't too happy about it either.

I'd also like to know how was the approach this time for the vocal melody writing. Did the lyricist write them? Did he write them? Both cases? :biggrin:

And thank you, Rodrigo, for doing this! :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 10:01:36 AM »
gzarruk, Mangini and Portnoy were good friends before his split with DT. There's even a jam with both in a DT show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
Anyway, I'd like to know, if there's a subtle way to ask him this, if he can share a bit more about the reason he had to cancel his show at PP this year.

I second this!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 10:10:30 AM »
Given what we know, that he spent time with the band for all the writing process, isn't the explanation of "having to focus on the new DT" plausible and sincere? surely the time he spent in the studio with the DT guys would have been otherwise, at least in part, occupied by rehearsals with his solo band....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
Not that it isn't sincere.  But that doesn't mean we don't want to know the details. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »

I don' think I can find a way to ask a question like that in a tasteful/tactful manner. I'll feel like I'm part of Blabbermouth if I ask him that.

If you have an opportunity, you could as him "off the record" before the interview if he'd be ok with you asking a question about his current relationship (if any) with MP.  Or you could ask whomever the band rep is that facilitated the interview if it would be ok to ask that.

Otherwise, definitely ask about the burger recipe!

A lot of folks have already suggested questions about the songwriting process, and I'd be interested about the extent to which he gets involved (at all) in writing the music.  JP's interview seemed to imply that all five guys were in the room for everything.  If that's the case, then I would have to assume James didn't just sit there for hours at a time twiddling his thumbs while the music was being worked out.  Presumably, he's not telling JR to play a minor7 chord instead of a major7 chord, but does he make more generalized suggestions?

Also, has he ever run into a situation where he was given a lyric (by JP or MP or whomever) that he didn't like for whatever reason and, if so, how did he handle that with the writer of the lyric?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »
gzarruk, Mangini and Portnoy were good friends before his split with DT. There's even a jam with both in a DT show.

I know, that’s exactly my point. They were good friends, even jammed onstage at a DT concert, and after the split Portnoy refers to him as “their drummer”. Sounds completelly off to me.

Not that it isn't sincere.  But that doesn't mean we don't want to know the details. 

This. I don’t think we got the whole story then (doesn’t mean that we should, though).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
Kind of old news, but...Back when they were rotating cover songs in 2003 or so, can he elaborate on why he objected so strongly to doing Revelation, Mother Earth?  Not that I love the song or anything, but I'm just curious what the deal was with that one.  Ultimately, I think we got a better song in Diary anyway.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »

Great minds think alike!

Status of his next solo album...That would be my question besides the burger recipe.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
Who wrote what lyrics for the album?

Also, what is his specific approach to writing lyrics. Does he write the melodies first and then lyrics to fit? I'm most curious about Blind Faith, probably my favorite DT song and quite underrated in every aspect. Did he hear it and say, "I call dibs" or did the other guys say, "Here james, you take this one."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »
If you have time for it, I'd like to ask a question not related to the new album:

Namely, I think James and Jordan really shine together, performing. Have the two of them thought about doing a more extensive tour or album together, just the two of them? Maybe new music (with James writing more), and then some more of the piano-based DT songs. I think it'd be an incredible intimate tour of small places.

Sorta like how Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge plays small clubs as a solo acoustic artist, and its just him, his tech, and maybe another crew guy or two in a van. I think James/Jordan, doing something similar, with a limited crew, in more intimate venues, would be an incredible show. And I'd love some new music between them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
If you have time for it, I'd like to ask a question not related to the new album:

Namely, I think James and Jordan really shine together, performing. Have the two of them thought about doing a more extensive tour or album together, just the two of them? Maybe new music (with James writing more), and then some more of the piano-based DT songs. I think it'd be an incredible intimate tour of small places.

Sorta like how Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge plays small clubs as a solo acoustic artist, and its just him, his tech, and maybe another crew guy or two in a van. I think James/Jordan, doing something similar, with a limited crew, in more intimate venues, would be an incredible show. And I'd love some new music between them.

I love this idea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
Thanks. I just love how James has sounded over Jordan, when it is just them. I think James' voice is well suited for that, and they have a great chemistry together.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »
When can we expect European tour dates to be released?

Mustard, tomato sauce or both on his burger?

Will we see the fork lift truck again?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
When can we expect European tour dates to be released?

Mustard, tomato sauce or both on his burger?

Will we see the fork lift truck again?

I tend to close interviews by asking about upcoming tour dates, so that's definitely in the cards.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Guys,

I am interviewing James tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions for him!
Cool, congratulations Rodrigo! :)

I think many of us who solved the treasure hunt together would like to know what James (or the band) thinks of the team-work.

Or, if he occasionally interacted with us using one of Freddy's accounts.

Thanks in any event! :)

(By the way, in case you were not familiar with the 'treasure hunt', here's the first in a series of articles I've had the honor/pleasure of writing about it, published in DTWorld's website: https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2018/11/03/dream-theater-treasure-hunt-walkthrough-pt-1/)