Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 251827 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #490 on: November 07, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »
Stuff

Stuff I agree with.

More DT is always better than an opening band.

This. I honestly hope they never have an opening band again.

More stuff I agree with.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #491 on: November 08, 2018, 12:07:26 AM »
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (Audio)

I'm so sorry, I actually genuinely got RR.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PetFish

« Reply #492 on: November 08, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
I'm missing something here.  I thought part of the MP lawsuits was that they could never do SFaM from start to finish ever again?  Or, now they I'm typing this, maybe it was 12SS they were banned from playing all the way.
None of the above. After seeing the agreement that Geoff Tate made with his former bandmates (that they never perform all of O:M at a show), MP commented that he wished he had included such an agreement when he parted ways with DT about the 12SS. But in any case, nothing like that exists between them.

Cool, thanks for the bomb.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #493 on: November 08, 2018, 02:26:17 AM »
A lot of interesting points raised about SFAM, but given that:

1) DT hasn't gone into details about what they'll do
2) Bosk confirmed it's not gonna be a rehash of what was done 20 years ago

I'll hold my judgement for when the details will be known. Worst case scenario? I get to hear most if not all of one of my very, very, very favorite albums of *all* time. "Could be worse" is a huge understatement in this  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:27:01 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #494 on: November 08, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »
Exactly! Would it be my personal choice for them to play the whole album, probably not. If they do decide to do it though, it will still be awesome to see those incredible songs again, it’s not grounds for complaint as far as I am concerned as long as we get a decent amount of new material as well. I also do not consider these songs have been as overplayed as some are suggesting. The Spirit Carries On is an exception to this as it has been played a lot and you could maybe throw in The Dance Of Eternity but I don’t think the rest of the album has been overplayed at all. It was such a pleasant surprise to remember how great those songs were on the DT12 tour.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #495 on: November 08, 2018, 05:51:52 AM »
DT fans are super spoiled if this is what they actually have to complain about, their favourite band doing a second set where they play their best ever album in addition to a full concert of other stuff.
Basically my opinion. Sure it would be bad if they did a full set of SFAM with nothing else added or altered every five years but Bosk mentioned this would be different and so far every celebration they had was a little different. It's nice you guys saw it every time but many people who are interested in something like this haven't. Heck, Mangini has only played a part of it on one tour, they have a whole new member who hasn't seen this, not just new fans ;D

As for the cash grab comments, you could argue DT brought this full album anniversary tour/special thing into metal in the first place (along with Iron Maiden), no harm done if they profit from it consistently. It's a little awkward that it's the first tour announced after DOT (he he now we have an acronym), but the rest of their year probably doesn't line up for it and maybe they wanted to get it out of the way first because people would be asking about the anniversary anyway.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:58:17 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #496 on: November 08, 2018, 06:17:24 AM »
Thing is, most people going to the concert will not have seen the original tour anyhow. We're talking almost two decades ago, so anyone below the age of, say, 35 will most likely never have been in a position to see it. Add into the fact that the majority of fans actually got into DT after the SFAM tour.

So yes, DT has become a slight "nostalgia act". But it makes complete commercial sense to do it like this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #497 on: November 08, 2018, 06:23:52 AM »
So yes, DT has become a slight "nostalgia act". But it makes complete commercial sense to do it like this.

Thank you. That's what I've been saying, and I'm frankly not ready for Dream Theater to be as YOU say a "slight nostalgia act".

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #498 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »

I don't think DT is anywhere near "nostalgia" territory. Nostalgia territory is when a guy like Tom Petty (rest his soul) releases a new album and only plays 2 songs off it during a two hour set.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #499 on: November 08, 2018, 06:29:40 AM »
I've been a fan since 1992, and I didn't know there was a Ytsejam mailing list.
A regular of the mailing list, called Steve Chew, created an archive of over 6000 digests going back to October 1993. You can find it here: https://interzone.com/Music/Ytsejam/
It's pretty cool because you get to see how the news about albums/lineup changes/other band stuff were spread back in the day. Plus, you can read early posts by Mike, Scotty, Bogie and other regulars here in DTF. And, you can reconstruct how the A change of seasons EP came to be. (I wrote about it in a document about the Treasure Hunt, which DTWorld is publishing.)

Not sure how far back you go as a fan, but on the old Ytsejam mailing list, that was a topic brought up on a regular basis, and that list was still pretty active until a couple years before they performed it.
I was going to ask you that, Scotty. When did the mailing lists ceased to exist? I can see that, in March 2004, there were less than 30 digests. Does that mean that, by that time, most people had started using message boards and early social media? (MySpace and stuff.)

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #500 on: November 08, 2018, 06:47:23 AM »
Screw SFAM.  I want a BC&SL 10th Anniversary show!!     :metal

In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #501 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48:09 AM »
This will be my first DT show and debating getting first 10 rows(if available) or my usual front and center mezzanine.  Not counting the Astonishing tour does a large number of folks stand for most of the show? 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #502 on: November 08, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
On the point of there being a lot of anniversary stuff in a short space of time, I would only say that Images, Awake and Scenes are widely considered the holy trinity of DT albums and released in fairly quick succession (if you ignore FII).  Individuals will have their own favourites of course but, in most polls, I would suggest they are far and away the top 3 albums.  I don't see them making such a big fuss about any other album anniversaries after this as none of the other albums have that level of fan worship.  The title track off 8V will probably be pulled out at some stage and maybe 6 Degrees title track when they hit an anniversary but I don't see them making a big deal of those anniversaries the way they have these 3 classic albums.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #503 on: November 08, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »

I don’t neee that honestly. I’ve already heard 2/3 of the album live so I’m good! Not that I don’t love that album....

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #504 on: November 08, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »
I think the I&W tour paved the way for SFAM. In combination with the mixed reactions to TA and the tour, seems like DT are trying to reassure the promoters that they can still gather big audiences and are worth the investment.

Personally, i don't want DT to become a nostalgia act, and even though i would love to see SFAM performed in its entirety, it doesn't show great confidence in the new album to have this announced together with DOT.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: November 08, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »

I don’t neee that honestly. I’ve already heard 2/3 of the album live so I’m good! Not that I don’t love that album....

I love every DT album but BC&SL is in the bottom tier while SFAM is in the top tier.... definiteley want more SFAM and less BC&SL

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #506 on: November 08, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »
Catching up on the last couple pages - generally I'm with TAC on all this - good posts on the topic bro.

I don't think DT is anywhere near "nostalgia" territory. Nostalgia territory is when a guy like Tom Petty (rest his soul) releases a new album and only plays 2 songs off it during a two hour set.

Yeah, I agree Chino. I don't see DT as even a "slight" nostalgia act even with the I&W tour and now a SFAM tour (in some shape or form). When DT stops their typical release schedule of new music and stops playing that newer stuff - then we get into that territory. We aren't there yet.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #507 on: November 08, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
I think the I&W tour paved the way for SFAM. In combination with the mixed reactions to TA and the tour, seems like DT are trying to reassure the promoters that they can still gather big audiences and are worth the investment.

Personally, i don't want DT to become a nostalgia act, and even though i would love to see SFAM performed in its entirety, it doesn't show great confidence in the new album to have this announced together with DOT.

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #508 on: November 08, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »
Add into the fact that the majority of fans actually got into DT after the SFAM tour.

That can't be at all true, can it?  Anecdotally, everyone I know who's into DT picked them up either with I&W or Awake.  And by the time SFaM came out, it's wasn't a breakthrough (that would be I&W/Awake) as much as it was a solidification.  They were firmly entrenched by the time Jordan joined the band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #509 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
Add into the fact that the majority of fans actually got into DT after the SFAM tour.

That can't be at all true, can it?  Anecdotally, everyone I know who's into DT picked them up either with I&W or Awake.  And by the time SFaM came out, it's wasn't a breakthrough (that would be I&W/Awake) as much as it was a solidification.  They were firmly entrenched by the time Jordan joined the band.

Not sure Awake qualifies as a breakthrough.

But hang around here a bit, and you'll see that most of this place got into DT after Scenes.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #510 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
I love every DT album but BC&SL is in the bottom tier while SFAM is in the top tier.... definiteley want more SFAM and less BC&SL
Yeah, but your obviously wrong since you rate TA as your favorite album!   :biggrin:

(I know it's all just opinion, but it would be nice if they included a track or 2 from BCaSL in the setlist since it has been underrepresented since the BCaSL tour)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #511 on: November 08, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »

If you’re going to play SFAM on tour, you wouldn’t hide it though would you, it would have to be mentioned in the tour announcement if you’re looking to maximise ticket sales. Don’t think it reflects their confidence or lack of confidence in the new album at all.  Just makes absolute commercial sense to tell people it’s going to be a special show so don’t miss it.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #512 on: November 08, 2018, 08:06:18 AM »
(I know it's all just opinion, but it would be nice if they included a track or 2 from BCaSL in the setlist since it has been underrepresented since the BCaSL tour)

The Count of Tuscany!!!!

(A Nightmare to Remember also would be acceptable.)

I've only seen A Rite of Passage (when they opened for Iron Maiden) and The Shattered Fortress (which was a great surprise on Along for the Ride).

Wither is one of their way-too-frequent dark plodding (IMO) songs, and The Best of Times is pretty much a Portnoy thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really under consideration.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:37 AM »
Thing is, most people going to the concert will not have seen the original tour anyhow. We're talking almost two decades ago, so anyone below the age of, say, 35 will most likely never have been in a position to see it. Add into the fact that the majority of fans actually got into DT after the SFAM tour.

I fall into that category.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #514 on: November 08, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »

Can’t speak for the rest of the world but Dream Theater were playing small university halls to a few hundred people in the U.K.  pre SFAM. They’ve been in the big theatres for every tour since and even done a couple of arena shows (though not sold them out). Images and Words was definitely a break through album to take them from obscurity to being a viable touring band, SFAM took them to a different level again. Not to Tool/Metallica levels obviously but a decent level where they play in front of decent sized crowds in nicer venues and probably make decent money.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #515 on: November 08, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »

I was saying the bolded part earlier. That's very true. Look, a band DT's age, nostalgia is a part of it. I mean, Images & Words was done 26 years ago. That's old. I mean, DT should be celebrated for being a band for 30+ years, and that means there will be elements of the past they look to highlight. Scenes from a Memory is one of those.

People who love the record should be excited. As bosk alluded to, even if you saw it like some of us did back in 2000, the production will likely be completely different. Not necessarily BETTER, but different, and likely really something to remember. I may not personally care for SFAM as much as some of you, but the complaining that they are becoming a nostalgia band by performing SFAM is laughable. The tour is based around the new record, with Scenes as a bonus. It's a win-win. And those that are so anti-nostalgia they can't handle it...DT's first album came out in 1989. That was 30 years ago. There will be nostalgia in EVERYTHING they do at this point. The key thing is, they are still relevant because they don't RELY on the nostalgia. They include it as a bonus.

Take Fates Warning -- they've played Parallels reunion shows, and then came back with a killer record in Theories of Flight that is completely bad ass and contemporary. No one would accuse Fates of being a nostalgia act. Just like no one should be calling Dream Theater a nostalgia act for giving fans a treat like SFAM. They are doing it for the fans as a bonus as a PART OF the support tour for their new record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: November 08, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
I think it's a fine line, Sam.

I'm sure I'm overreacting.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #517 on: November 08, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »
Does "it won't be a rehash of the 2000 tour" mean that we won't get Scenes in full? I'm still trying to find out what this will entail exactly. We had a good chunk of the second half of SFAM represented on Along for the Ride, so does this mean we'll get the first part ONLY this time? Or a "reimagination" of Scenes with the current lineup and changes in the arrangement of certain songs? The last time Scenes was played in full was actually in the Octavarium tour in Sao Paulo, and they played it note for note then.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #518 on: November 08, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
I agree with Samsara.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: November 08, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
I think it's a fine line, Sam.

I'm sure I'm overreacting.

It TOTALLY is a fine line. I just don't think DT has crossed it. Images and Words sorta pushed it. That was nostalgia, but I sorta get it, as I don't think The Astonishing tour did they any favors, and they needed to reconnect with some folks. This time around, they are clearly supporting the new record, and adding in Scenes to help further cement/repair what some may consider a misstep with The Astonishing tour, and celebrate one of their biggest achievements. But like I said, it is a part of a tour supporting a NEW record, so they are straddling that line well.

It's always going to be a fine line moving forward, TAC. Tons of albums, landmark stuff, a lot of fans to please. But as long as the effort is there to do both, and maintain integrity, then that, to me, keeps them from becoming a nostalgia act (ala Kansas these days, and a lot of bands who don't make new music, or those that do, but don't play it).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
I agree with Samsara.

You know I gotta sig you now, hef.  :hat

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #521 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
Does "it won't be a rehash of the 2000 tour" mean that we won't get Scenes in full? I'm still trying to find out what this will entail exactly. We had a good chunk of the second half of SFAM represented on Along for the Ride, so does this mean we'll get the first part ONLY this time? Or a "reimagination" of Scenes with the current lineup and changes in the arrangement of certain songs? The last time Scenes was played in full was actually in the Octavarium tour in Sao Paulo, and they played it note for note then.

When you say “a good chunk”, they only played 2 songs from the second half of the album and one of them was an instrumental.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #522 on: November 08, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »

I was saying the bolded part earlier. That's very true. Look, a band DT's age, nostalgia is a part of it. I mean, Images & Words was done 26 years ago. That's old. I mean, DT should be celebrated for being a band for 30+ years, and that means there will be elements of the past they look to highlight. Scenes from a Memory is one of those.

People who love the record should be excited. As bosk alluded to, even if you saw it like some of us did back in 2000, the production will likely be completely different. Not necessarily BETTER, but different, and likely really something to remember. I may not personally care for SFAM as much as some of you, but the complaining that they are becoming a nostalgia band by performing SFAM is laughable. The tour is based around the new record, with Scenes as a bonus. It's a win-win. And those that are so anti-nostalgia they can't handle it...DT's first album came out in 1989. That was 30 years ago. There will be nostalgia in EVERYTHING they do at this point. The key thing is, they are still relevant because they don't RELY on the nostalgia. They include it as a bonus.

Take Fates Warning -- they've played Parallels reunion shows, and then came back with a killer record in Theories of Flight that is completely bad ass and contemporary. No one would accuse Fates of being a nostalgia act. Just like no one should be calling Dream Theater a nostalgia act for giving fans a treat like SFAM. They are doing it for the fans as a bonus as a PART OF the support tour for their new record.

This. Completely agree with you :tup
They are a 30+ year old band, there’s no way they can just ignore their back catalog and pretend it didn’t happen, but they also ALWAYS come up with new music and actually play those songs live, instead of just playing 2 songs from the new album and then doing the same old setlist over and over again (Megadeth, I’m looking at you).

If we look at all the DT catalog, counting studio albums and extra songs, there’s only 3 songs (TBOT, Raw Dog and STR) out of 160 they’ve never played or featured live in some way. That’s impressive, and nostalgia acts just don’t do that.

And, btw, count me in as someone who got into DT waaaaaay after SFAM. I’m 23 right now, which means I was 4 when it was released, I obviously didn’t have a clue about it then :lol
I discovered DT in 2010, with SFAM being the first DT album I got. If there’s a chance they’ll play my favorite album and also have a killer set of new songs + others from the MM era, count me in :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
I’m 23 right now, which means I was 4 when it was released, I obviously didn’t have a clue about it then :lol

Fuck I'm old.  :rollin

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #524 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »

I never heard of DT until the TOT tour. I was only 14 years old or so.