Author Topic: How much do you pay for internet? (U.S. folks)  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
How much do you pay for internet? (U.S. folks)
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
I'm paying 45$ per month with Spectrum as of 2017, before that I paid 34$ a month on a special offer with AT&T and every year it expires I call and ask for a renewal of the offer, they "courteously" obliged till one year the offer was off the table.
The only way I can get anything lower is to agree to be raped in the eye by adding TV services to the internet, I haven't had live TV channels since 2010 by choice and principle but back then providers still had reasonable monthly rates for stand-alone services.
I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: How much do you pay for internet? (U.S. folks)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
Spectrum is the worst of the lot in terms of playing ball.  TWC and Comcast before them were both quite decent to work with in terms of pricing. Spectrum just doesn't give a shit. My favorite was when they first took over TWC I called to get a better deal. "Sure, we'll give you internet for $35/mo for the next year." Two weeks later it went up to $45. I called to ask WTF and their new deal is to offer discounts instead of better rates, so they gave me a $10 discount and then promptly raised my rate $10. "Well you're still getting the discount."

They also charge the same rate for their 2 slowest tiers, so you can't even call and downgrade your service because it won't save you any money. I pay $45+TTL and there's really nothing I can do about it. I can switch to ATT, but they're actually much worse in a variety of ways. For all of their price gouging Spectrum doesn't have caps and doesn't throttle your service. Personally, I'd rather pay less for slower, which they don't offer, but I wont pay less for a smaller allowance (ATT). It is what it is.

The only thing I can recommend is, if you haven't already, buy your own cable modem. They're probably charging $15/mo for those things by now, and they only cost $20 used on eBay. My guess is that pretty soon they'll start charging a $15 "convenience fee" for using your own modem, because "fuck yeah, capitalism," but for the time being it saves you money.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »
Somewhere around $60 for Comcast. It technically includes a basic cable package and HBO, but I pretty much don't use it at all except when game of Thrones is new.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 05:06:00 AM »
I had spectrum in Florida and I paid $100 for 100mbps down. They eventually gave me an additional 25mbps down as some promotion.

I moved to Charlotte and I now pay $75 a month for 1gbps down and up (fiber connection) through ATT. If we didn't have TV packaged it'd be $99 a month. It's amazing what competition does to internet prices.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
My only option in my area is Spectrum (besides local unreliable companies) and I’m paying $117 for medium TV package and 200mgb of internet. Too much money but my only option if I want descent TV and Internet.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
Holy shit guys! what am I whining about..
Barto I have my own Wi-Fi router but I'm using their modem, I didn't know it was an option to use your own, I'll have to start researching to find which one I need to buy.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »
Holy shit guys! what am I whining about..
Barto I have my own Wi-Fi router but I'm using their modem, I didn't know it was an option to use your own, I'll have to start researching to find which one I need to buy.
Eh, a quick bit of research suggests that they no longer charge the $10 modem fee, so that won't help you any. The cynic in me suspects that they stopped charging that fee at the same time they increased everybody's rate $10. Most of their customers didn't notice because they simply rearranged some line items, but people like me now pay the $10 that we didn't before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
89.30 per month...JUST for Internet access. Yes, it sucks. And yes, I'm stuck. It'd be cheaper if I went with cable TV and cable Internet, as they then discount. But for our purposes, the current setup works, as for TV and Internet, it is a combined 150 per month, even with two separate services.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »
I should find out shortly.  I finally took action on my off contract Verizon FIOS TV/Internet bundle.  Moved to DirecTV for TV (I get an amazing employee discount) but since it's got an issue since installation over the weekend, I haven't cancelled my Verizon TV and adjusted to just keep the internet.  I'm guessing it will be around 75 to 100 a month for 100 up/down.  Hoping for something better but I'm not sure I can expect them to give me any discount when cutting down half their business from me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
I should find out shortly.  I finally took action on my off contract Verizon FIOS TV/Internet bundle.  Moved to DirecTV for TV (I get an amazing employee discount) but since it's got an issue since installation over the weekend, I haven't cancelled my Verizon TV and adjusted to just keep the internet.  I'm guessing it will be around 75 to 100 a month for 100 up/down.  Hoping for something better but I'm not sure I can expect them to give me any discount when cutting down half their business from me.

That's what I do. Every other year, I call, and they discount the Internet service by like 20 bucks a month for me for six months. Like clockwork.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 04:54:50 AM »
I’m about ready to pull the plug on Comcast. We pay way too much. We have cable and internet but internet by I self is almost more than to get cable with it. We steam more than we watch though.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:33:24 AM »
I’m about ready to pull the plug on Comcast. We pay way too much. We have cable and internet but internet by I self is almost more than to get cable with it. We steam more than we watch though.

I had cable and internet with Comcast.  Triple Play was $186 per month, then shot up to $214 two years ago.  I bought a few Roku's and cancelled my cable with them.  I knew internet would be more, but was still saving money ($89.99 for 60-100mb, plus streaming TV (PS Vue) at $45.99 = $136 per month.....saving $50 per month).

I sucked it up for a few months, then called Comcast back and asked for help on the internet price.  They took me seriously, since I had cancelled the cable and got the internet down to $49.99 per month.  This year I called back after that deal ended and they mistakenly told me I could have the same price (new subscribers only) and I pushed them to honor it.  They did.

So if you cancel cable, but keep internet, call them back after a few months and see if they will help you out on the internet. 

Right now, I'm at $50 for internet (100MB) and $50 for streaming tv, plus Netflix.  Instead of $186 per month, I now pay $113 per month. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 07:53:16 AM »
^ Good stuff Grappler.

I might call Comcast. I did pretty much the same as you. I had Comcast internet and cable TV, cancelled the TV and kept just the internet. Now we use PS Vue and Netflix and stream everything with Fire TV sticks. Saving about $50 a month.

I'm paying like $90 for the 200MB internet, been thinking about calling and going down to the 100MB. We aren't gaming at my house, just streaming TV, watching YouTube, and regular internet browsing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »
Grapp,

YOu did the same as us, including with the Rokus. We're at 89.30 for Internet, and for our plan, I think we're around 55 for Vue. We also do Netflix, so I am guessing we're around $160 total per month.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »
Grapp,

YOu did the same as us, including with the Rokus. We're at 89.30 for Internet, and for our plan, I think we're around 55 for Vue. We also do Netflix, so I am guessing we're around $160 total per month.

I'm generally happy.  Vue is the closest service to a comprehensive cable package, minus A&E/History and Viacom channels.  They don't have 1080P HD broadcasts, so sports are a bit fuzzy, but if it's a game I really want to watch, I'll find the high-quality stream on that network's app.  I wish I bought a higher quality Roku (have 3 sticks) that offers more functionality and sound options, but I can always upgrade in the future.

It's tougher with kids programming - we're limited with free options for Nick Jr. and PBS, but we can get dvd's from the library if needed.  Vue gives us Disney Jr. at least, and youtube has a lot of full episodes of some shows for the kids.

My internet cost will eventually go up, or I"ll have to downsize to 60MB, which won't be the end of the world as long as I can get 2-3 devices streaming at once.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »
Unfortunately with Comcast. Paying $50/month for like 100Mbps-130Mbps. Of course it slows down a lot of the time because Comcast.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:22 AM »
It's tougher with kids programming - we're limited with free options for Nick Jr. and PBS, but we can get dvd's from the library if needed.  Vue gives us Disney Jr. at least, and youtube has a lot of full episodes of some shows for the kids.

Disney Jr. being on the "basic" Vue package is the reason we chose it over Sling TV or others. Our daughter loves everything on that channel, so it was a big need for us.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »

Disney Jr. being on the "basic" Vue package is the reason we chose it over Sling TV or others. Our daughter loves everything on that channel, so it was a big need for us.

Baby shark?

My sister and her husband just stream and don't have cable.  There's apparently so much children content on youtube though.  I really struggle to watch this stuff when I go over there, but obviously I have seen Baby shark enough

Offline Grappler

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »

I and my family and kids have yet to see Baby Shark.  My daughter watches episodes of Peppa Pig, Fireman Sam, Tom Tow Truck, Carl's Car Wash and Blippi on youtube.  I hate Blippi, but it's educational and she's actually learned a lot from watching it.

Disney Jr. on Vue is awesome.  We DVR all of her favorite shows and have a stockpile of stuff to watch.  The Disney Now app has some of the shorts and random content too.  Just missing out on Nick (Paw Patrol) and PBS (Daniel Tiger), but we have some DVD's and use the free PBS Kids app for some stuff. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Baby shark?

Oh gosh yea  :lol

Disney Jr. on Vue is awesome.  We DVR all of her favorite shows and have a stockpile of stuff to watch.  The Disney Now app has some of the shorts and random content too.  Just missing out on Nick (Paw Patrol) and PBS (Daniel Tiger), but we have some DVD's and use the free PBS Kids app for some stuff. 

That's exactly what we do as well, just favorite all her shows and you build up a huge stockpile of content super quick. Plus the movies they play on Disney and Disney Jr, we will record all that.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
Current comcast bill is $225 a month with only HD cable and crappy internet that constantly goes out. My package is supposed to be up to 60 mb\sec but when I test it I'm only getting about 14. What a rip off. I'm getting ready to ditch and go with fios internet. 100 mbs for $40 and a few roku devices using hulu live at $50 and Philo at $16 to pick up additional missing channels. Hopefully a savings of about $100 a month and the initial out lay for rokus.
F*** comcast they suck in every dealing iv e had with them for 25 years. Criminals robbing us blind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
Current comcast bill is $225 a month with only HD cable and crappy internet that constantly goes out. My package is supposed to be up to 60 mb\sec but when I test it I'm only getting about 14. What a rip off. I'm getting ready to ditch and go with fios internet. 100 mbs for $40 and a few roku devices using hulu live at $50 and Philo at $16 to pick up additional missing channels. Hopefully a savings of about $100 a month and the initial out lay for rokus.
F*** comcast they suck in every dealing iv e had with them for 25 years. Criminals robbing us blind.
You need to call and ask them WTF, because that's not right. I don't mean "not right" in a moral sense, but not right as in there's something fucked up going on with your account. They're charging you for a service you don't know you have or something. The most expensive package I can find on their website for Phili is $149, and that's for a lot more than what you're getting.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »

Go FiOS, Fiber internet is the shit

Offline frogprog

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »
El barto, I'm also getting charged about $65 for cable boxes and then all the taxes and fees that they never list in their on line price traps. If it wasn't for the equipment charges and stupid add on fees i would probably stay with them. That's what really makes it a ripp off. On modern tvs you don't even need extra boxes but that's the way their service is set up so it doesn't work with out them. 2 of my newer xfinity boxes constantly freeze up and it takes 10 minutes to reset them. Argggggggg!
Reaper: glad to hear you like your fio s internet. That gives me hope!

Question: what do people do for internet if they live way out in the wilderness? Some type of satellite hookup?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:48 PM »
Satellite seems to be the popular route. My buddies family has a cottage in a remote part of Canada and they have satellite internet. The latency is terrible but surfing the web works really well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »

So directv fixed the botched TV install and I just called Verizon and cancelled my TV service and updated to just keep internet.

I kept my 50/50 plan and the price after fees is $50 a month.  Must say I am happy with that, thought it would be more expensive but looks like they are giving me some discounts.  Here is my billing below:

Services Ordered:   Monthly Amount
Fios Internet 50/50   $84.99
$5 24 Mo. Internet Contract Discount thru Oct 21,2020   -$5.00
$35 Agreement Incentive thru Oct 21, 2020   -$35.00
Rent: Fios Quantum Gateway Router   $10.00
$5 Fios Quantum Gateway Router Discount Included   -$5.00
Estimated Monthly Subtotal   $49.99
Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges (see detail)   $0.33
Estimated Monthly Total^   $50.32

To compare, if I wanted to get the 1gig service, it would have been $85 a month after fees and also a one time $99 installation charge to replace the optical box.  I don't have any issues wtih slow internet at 50/50 at home so no need for the extra bandwidth although I didn't think the pricing was bad, just not necessary.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
Time for another rate increase from Spectrum. Has it been a year already? The increase to 200mbs down was nice and all, but I'd gladly pay less for the 100mbs I had before. Waiting 2 minutes to DL a movie rather than 1 isn't much of a sacrifice. Naturally that's not an option, though. And asking for it supports their longstanding bullshit that "our customers don't want faster internet."

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20181026/06544740917/charter-spectrum-jacks-up-rates-again-thanks-to-merger-synergies.shtml
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
My new bill is 59.99$, I called them and they said my 44.99$/mo was a promotion and now I'm paying my dues to society heh
I'm thinking of calling AT&T and trying to strike a deal.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 06:50:35 AM »
That shouldn't be a problem Prog. Our two year promotional price ended and the price was going up $60. I called them, told them I'm cancelling, they dropped the price back to the promotional price without issue.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »
That's what I used to do with AT&T but Spectrum seem to give zero fucks, maybe I got a hardliner when I called :lol, I'll give it another shot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
That's what I used to do with AT&T but Spectrum seem to give zero fucks, maybe I got a hardliner when I called :lol, I'll give it another shot.
Nah, you were right the first time. When they bought TWC fucks to give weren't part of the deal. They know they can charge whatever they want so they do.

As for moving to ATT, up here it isn't actually any cheaper. They don't have fiber at my address, so I'd wind up paying the same price for their fastest tier which is a paltry 25 meg (I've currently got 200). When they do deploy fiber here I'll pay the same for 100 meg or ten bucks more for 300. And I'd have to sign up for a 1 year hitch to do it. Plus there's a data cap to contend with. One TB a month is pretty reasonable, but it's not uncommon for me to DL 50-100gb in a day. I wouldn't want to have to worry about it.

Like I said, they can keep jacking up their prices because cord-cutters will have to pay it.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:14 PM »
Data caps would suck, even if they are fairly reasonable I just wouldn't want to deal with having to manage that at my home especially when I watch so much streaming video at home and game, nevermind the download size of purchasing a new game

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
Data caps would suck, even if they are fairly reasonable I just wouldn't want to deal with having to manage that at my home especially when I watch so much streaming video at home and game, nevermind the download size of purchasing a new game
Man, I looked a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to find that modern games are 100gb now. Even more annoying was that in the game I looked at 80% was probably music I'd have muted anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
I hope you're talking about Tetris cause music is amazing in most current games heh

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
As it turns out Spectrum is now confident enough in its monopoly status that it no longer has a retention department. Since nobody can leave what's the point. This also means that they don't have to offer promotions to existing customers anymore. "We don't have any promotions to offer you right now." OK, cancel my service. "Certainly, I'd be happy to take care of that for you. On what day would you like your service to end?" In my case I'm actually exploring avenues to do without for a month, just so I can get new customer pricing. My 10+ years of patronage is worth a $21 fist up the ass to those guys. Maybe I can find some Honduran girl who wants to get married for US citizenship. She get can a green card and I can put the internet in her name to save $252/yr.
E.F. Benson