Author Topic: Lost In Vegas reviews metal songs  (Read 4312 times)

Offline New World Rushman

Re: Lost In Vegas reviews metal songs
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 06:19:22 AM »
I thought it was a bad idea they reacted to "Hot for Teacher" while watching the video. The over the top comedy, which they totally got and seemed to enjoy, takes away from the actual song.

They should stick to audio only song clips, which they usually do.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 09:58:42 AM »
I thought it was a bad idea they reacted to "Hot for Teacher" while watching the video. The over the top comedy, which they totally got and seemed to enjoy, takes away from the actual song.

They should stick to audio only song clips, which they usually do.

Thats true, a video can hinder your perception of a song, at times.

I either look for Live, or the studio version. When somehow those can't be found then I'll watch the music video, usually its when the album isn't released I'll watch the video.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
coming around a little bit on Meshuggah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqNZqp-4vOg

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2018, 05:47:50 AM »
Between the Buried and Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpIwxKoVCbU

unfortunately, they aren't digging The Coma Machine so much (hardly the track I would have voted for, but I'm not one of their Patrons).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 08:39:03 PM »
Fall Into the Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KctUoXpZsLY&t=0s

:tup .. they do need to give more of the older, preferably Pre-Mangini stuff a shot.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »
not Metal, but they finally Reacted to a YES song!

:tup

Roundabout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7n4aG0wcw&t=502s

Online faizoff

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
Fall Into the Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KctUoXpZsLY&t=0s

:tup .. they do need to give more of the older, preferably Pre-Mangini stuff a shot.

So I've been watching these guys a lot these days and noticed this song reaction is not available anymore, wonder why they made it private.

Also noticed that the Metropolis Pt.1 reaction isn't there anymore either.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:43 AM »
Yeah, I thought that was kind of weird. As I Am is still up (which coincidentally, that reaction video was released a year ago today), but the others are gone.

I really enjoy their videos. They haven't really strayed too far from their roots, which some of these React channels do once they get popular. I used to watch one called Vinand Sori, but they kind of got annoying. Their "thing" is that it's "Christians React to.." and they would give really in depth analysis of the song, but they kind of got annoying because they never did any research into the band or song and would immediately try to connect it to religion even if there wasn't any way to connect it. They did Ghost a lot, which was their most popular videos for awhile and with Ghost, you can't take the lyrics at face value--they aren't all about Satan and stuff. They did Ghost's song Rats once and they were listening to it and afterwards said: "It's about the Christianity, when they say "Into your sanctum, you let them in" they're talking about God and how it's wrong for people to do that." or something to that effect. But if you read into what the song is about, it's a cautionary tale about our world and the new "plague", social media and politics, etc. It's not an anti-religion song and because of their interpretation of it, they wrote the song off. That and every Ghost song, they would say "Sounds like the last one, they have no variation. He writes the same song over and over again" It got kind of old and the comment section reflected that. Oddly enough though, they really like Cradle of Filth  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
They probably got copyright striked by labels' automatic processes. It's a huge issue right now on YouTube because there are a lot of instances of labels copyright striking songs that they don't own the rights to or things that -- from a legal perspective -- would be a-okay uses of the material or would be a nonissue (like hearing 2 seconds of All Star by Smashmouth in a car passing by). Likely the band would have no say in it either. Saying it's a trainwreck would be an understatement.

Metropolis Pt. 1 popped up when I searched, so that's still up tho. Maybe FitL will be up soon.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2019, 01:36:06 PM »
But I think Dream Theater, or at least their management, approached Lost In Vegas to do FITL. Would the copyright still matter because the band asked them to do it?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
Youtube is a sh**show when it comes to this kind of stuff and has Ninjabait stated, the bands has no say in the matter.  In fact, the bands probably like seeing guys like Lost in Vegas listen to their songs and present their thoughts to a different audience that probably wouldn't normally listen to music like DT's among others.  I know that Alter Bridge likes the videos that these guys did for their songs to the point that they gave Lost In Vegas a exclusive video (the DVD wasn't out yet at the time) of the song, Fortress, at their show at the Royal Albert Hall and wanted the Lost In Vegas guys to give their thoughts and it served as a small platform to promote the DVD.  Win win for all sides.

But I think Dream Theater, or at least their management, approached Lost In Vegas to do FITL. Would the copyright still matter because the band asked them to do it?

Copyright would still matter because as Ninjabait stated, flags and strikes are created by an automated process set by Youtube's twisted as f*** algorithm or something like that.  That's why Youtube is a sh**show at the moment and sadly, it doesn't look like its going to get resolved anytime soon where the content creators are going to be satisfied by the end result of it.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »
Usually the label is the one that holds the copyright for a song, not the artist. It's more the label's call than anything.

Also, in many cases the labels don't manually claim things. They have algorithms in place that detect audio of their music and claim it automatically. The label usually doesn't get involved directly unless there's a dispute. The algorithms are agressive and not exactly perfect, so there's a lot of issues. Plus labels have the ethical sense of an investment banker turned politician who is also a dolphin warlord during the middle ages, so you can see where this goes ary.

For all we know, Warner or Sony could have claimed the video without actually owning the copyright. Ir happens. A lot. Or they might have just deleted it for their own reasons. Who knows?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2019, 08:05:40 AM »
MP got copyright flagged on an SOA drum cam vid on his own channel. He was none too pleased about it. Not sure if he ever got it resolved.

Regarding the Lost In Vegas guys, I'm not usually one for these watching people play games or do random things type of videos, but I really enjoy watching these guys expand their musical tastes by listening to music they never gave a chance to before. Their reactions to Rush, Yes, Megadeth and Boston were so cool to watch. Tool as well. These guys really seem to get it and that is really cool to watch.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »
The YouTube algorithm and copywrong nonsense is reaching peak levels of absurdity as of late, for a whole bunch of reasons already covered

LIV is the only 'reaction' type channel that I can stomach because the guys seem authentic and like they're actually having a good time and are really open minded and enthusiastic about trying new songs out. I loved that Foreplay/Long Time reaction they did, when they find a song that just grooves and they get into it, it's a nice session of spirited conversation and fun. I dig it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »
bump.

not Metal and not DT and 3 months later than Patreon, but it is nice to see them React to a The Mars Volta tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=javjNul_l_w

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2020, 09:05:22 AM »
I think it's very cool that two guys who are Black Americans are doing reaction videos to metal songs. It's a good thing because those guys are somehow going against absurd social rules based on stereotypes, imposed by Black community that Blacks shouldn't be into "acting white" music. I'm sure those LostinVegas videos will cause more black people to start listening metal music.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
That's a very odd thing to say, I don't think any kind of social groups are excluded from any sort of music style, especially in the modern music age. Of course by large numbers you will find different demographics for different genres, but I HIIIIIIGHLY doubt that people feeling like they 'shouldn't be into acting white music' has anything to do with those numbers.

I know judging from your comment history that you don't really care about music discussion much and I probably shouldn't take you seriously, but that's just a very inappropriate comment.

Anyway, I'm glad they're giving The Mars Volta a shot. Probably my favourite band of all time, and while Inertiatic ESP probably isn't among the highlights, it (and the Deloused album as a whole) is a decent starting point!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2020, 10:10:11 AM »
there's a lot of other African American people on YouTube making Reaction videos to Rock, Classic Rock and Metal songs.

Lost in Vegas is likely the most popular, but it's not like they are the only ones.

Here's a bunch others:

Pink Metal Head
Weaboo Reacts
India Reacts
Modern Renaissance Man
Jamel_AKA_Jamal
RRT
JayveeTV
No Life Shaq
RT TV

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
They seem like cool guys and I also appreciate their enthusiasm and passion about the stuff they check out, though it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I'm not the biggest fan of them pausing, then sometimes restarting or going back - to me it makes it a bit jarring. I think it would work better if they listened to the song just as it was and then maybe after the first listen they could break it down jumping around in the song to discuss. (Though possibly they do it this way to avoid copy right claims?)

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2020, 06:03:03 AM »
Vin and Sori posted a reaction to PMU.

They loved it but barely spoke about the song.
Vin recognized the Hamlet connection immediately and went off on a Hamlet tangent.

https://youtu.be/tTOPh4Ekivk

Offline Bentower

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2020, 07:02:02 AM »
Yeah, they tend to do that and every now and then, and sometimes the tangents can be on point. I like them well enough, but I don't think they're all that hungry to discover new, exciting music. Seems like they're going through a daily routine with this reaction business. Whereas clearly the Lost In Vegas duo is still sincerely excited by even the unlikeliest things. For example, see their reaction to Annihilator's Alison Hell. Heart-warming stuff!

I think Vin and Sori's reaction to In the Name of God was their best with DT so far. IIRC, both gave it a 10.
That actually brings me to another point about them, which is that they rate almost everything too high, even songs they weren't visibly excited with. Ok, enough ranting for now. :D
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2020, 07:02:54 AM »
They seem like cool guys and I also appreciate their enthusiasm and passion about the stuff they check out, though it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I'm not the biggest fan of them pausing, then sometimes restarting or going back - to me it makes it a bit jarring. I think it would work better if they listened to the song just as it was and then maybe after the first listen they could break it down jumping around in the song to discuss. (Though possibly they do it this way to avoid copy right claims?)

You are correct.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2020, 07:51:46 AM »
Vin and Sori posted a reaction to PMU.

They loved it but barely spoke about the song.
Vin recognized the Hamlet connection immediately and went off on a Hamlet tangent.

https://youtu.be/tTOPh4Ekivk

That's kind of typical, from what I have seen from them.  I think I listened to maybe 2 or 3 of theirs, and don't even bother anymore.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2020, 10:46:07 AM »

You are correct.

the large majority of their videos are initially if not only on their Patreon also for this reason.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2020, 09:00:59 AM »
I don't mind Vin and Sori that much even though I'm not religious myself (so a lot of their religious talk comes off as mumbo jumbo to me) because I think they analyze the songs a bit differently. Like it's interesting to hear someone else's completely different interpretation of a song rather than what a lot of reaction videos seem to go for which is some guy making a mixture of orgasm and poop-faces while saying generic comments like "this is really good" or "aww yeah". I think the only thing lacking for me in their reviews is a proper structure because I feel sometimes they get off track on the analysis part and you don't get much talk about how much they actually liked it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »
Rush - Limelight

A Patreon request from 7 months ago, uploaded to YouTube yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_Rc7qhnJI