Author Topic: Songs left off of Live at Budokan CD/DVD - Are they available?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Learning2Live

Songs left off of Live at Budokan CD/DVD - Are they available?
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
Sorry if this is common knowledge and I'm just ignorant for not knowing this before now.

Read tonight for the first time (on Wikipedia so take that for what it's worth as far as credibility goes) that the Live at Budokan release had a couple of tracks left off due to space/time constraints - The Great Debate, Under a Glass Moon and Caught in a Web. If that's true, I've never known that before now.

Assuming that's true, have those tracks ever surfaced somewhere? I'd like to hear/see them if they were ever made available.

Thanks!

Offline gzarruk

Re: Songs left off of Live at Budokan CD/DVD - Are they available?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
I think they were MEANT to be played, but they had to cut them out of the setlist because the show would've been too long. There's no footage of them, because they were never played.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:41:09 PM »
Thanks for clarifying!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
I would have loved The Great Debate on that DVD (for example instead of Pull Me Under or New Millennium).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »
I would have loved The Great Debate on that DVD (for example instead of Pull Me Under or New Millennium).
Like Gabriel said (and he's right): They wanted to play these pieces, but they weren't allowed because of very strict curfew times at the venue. (Porty said so as well)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:31:57 AM »
I know in hindsight that MP regretted including some parts of the SDoIT song on L@B since they ended up doing the whole song on Score, and I agree. Instead of having those 4 parts, it would've been nice to have had TGD and UaGM instead, which at that point had not been represented on an official live release.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.