It is!
6 (66.7%)
It is, but nu-metal definitely isn't
2 (22.2%)
It is not and they're absolutely right about it
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 05, 2018, 11:05:52 AM

Author Topic: Is prog-metal metal?  (Read 787 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Is prog-metal metal?
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »
I've been browsing the Loudwire list thread, and there was that interesting post by one of our frequent GMD visitors:

Some good picks, some pretty lame.

On that list I could agree with these entries: Black Sabbath, Sweet Leaf, Supernaut, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Victim of Changes, Hell Bent for Leather, Overkill, Wrathchild, Hallowed be thy Name, Holy Diver, Creeping Death, One, Holy Wars, Black No 1, Crystal Mountain, Oblivion and Lightning Strike.
Some listed songs are not metal as Burn, Man on the Silver Mountain, Sails of Charon - hard rock, Tool ones, Du Hast, Ghost ones, Freak on the Leash and Wait and Bleed. According to MetalArchives Korn and Slipknot are not METAL, because nu-metal is not metal and they're absolutely right about it.

This made me ponder some of the questions regarding other genres. I mean, it was basically an eye-opener for me, and this post makes me wonder if I should re-evaluate my views about music genres.

Is prog metal metal? Now what about heavy metal, huh? Participate in the first poll from the upcoming series of "Is *subgenre*-metal metal?", coming every Thursday in GMD!

just kidding, please don't give ban thanks
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Is prog-metal metal?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
Don't humor WildRanger,
1. Nu-metal is metal, suck it up
2. Arguing over genre definitions is a pointless waste of time anyways

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »
Don't humor WildRanger,

Thinking the same thing.

Slow day in Russia apparently.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
Is prog metal prog?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
Despite Wildranger's obvious trolling and posting things just to get a rise out of people, there's no need to take it further.  If he insists on baiting others and trolling the forum, he will be banned from the site soon enough.  No need for others to play the same game and risk getting themselves into trouble by mocking.  I would suggest simply taking Parama's approach and ignoring him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."