Author Topic: Indiscipline's Roulette v. The Dirty Aftermath  (Read 117720 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. Four All Business Rooks
« Reply #805 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:10 AM »
7 to 8 is actually a pretty high value zone for me, not "can't say it's meh, can't say it's great" dumping grounds.

In fact, 6 to 7 is already good. It sucks to be there (only in roulettes; my mother would have sacrificed human beings in order to have me on that range when I went to school), but it ain't bad.

Fair point, but in roulettes (when the lowest score is 6 for instance), it's still a crap score/rating.  No one says to the last place finisher in anything ... 'you still did good'.  Last is last.  Middle is middle. The absolute score may be a 'high value zone', but the score relative to other submissions is none-the-less mediocre.

So should he inflate his scores or somehow grade on a curve?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: October 19, 2018, 06:18:27 AM »
Not at all.  Just saying that - to me - the positivity in the comments seem to reflect more enjoyment/appreciation than a B / B+.  Just a personal observation/opinion.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #807 on: October 19, 2018, 06:40:26 AM »
I'm fine with my scores. Nah, indiscipline didn't like the last one much, but them's the breaks. Put on yer big boy pants and try harder. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #808 on: October 19, 2018, 06:59:59 AM »
7 to 8 is actually a pretty high value zone for me, not "can't say it's meh, can't say it's great" dumping grounds.

In fact, 6 to 7 is already good. It sucks to be there (only in roulettes; my mother would have sacrificed human beings in order to have me on that range when I went to school), but it ain't bad.

Fair point, but in roulettes (when the lowest score is 6 for instance), it's still a crap score/rating.  No one says to the last place finisher in anything ... 'you still did good'.  Last is last.  Middle is middle. The absolute score may be a 'high value zone', but the score relative to other submissions is none-the-less mediocre.

Fair point to you as well.

I have good news: lowest score here is (realistically) 4, and votes will not be used in the playoff stage. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: October 19, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
I'm fine with my scores. Nah, indiscipline didn't like the last one much, but them's the breaks. Put on yer big boy pants and try harder. :)

Pipe down youngling.  Did bitch about my score?  I was just commenting on my perceived disconnect between the words that were used to describe the enjoyment, and the scores.  He clarified.  It's all good.

If you're gonna trash talk, *do* it better. There is no try.  Do or do not.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #810 on: October 19, 2018, 07:47:53 AM »
Wow, it's fun watching Darryl Dawkins come off the couch and break a backboard with the youth under the bucket.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: October 19, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »

Pipe down youngling.  Did bitch about my score?  I was just commenting on my perceived disconnect between the words that were used to describe the enjoyment, and the scores.  He clarified.  It's all good.

Wtf? I wasn't even responding to you or trash talking anyone... defensive much???  :-\
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: October 19, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »

Wtf? I wasn't even responding to you or trash talking anyone... defensive much???  :-\

And technically, Chad, Katt's in your conference so he's an old fart now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #813 on: October 19, 2018, 08:39:53 AM »
Wow, it's fun watching Darryl Dawkins come off the couch and break a backboard with the youth under the bucket.

Instant bonus points for mentioning Chocolate Thunder, sir.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: October 19, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »

Ya know... tone and intent is terrible in text.  My tone/intent was meant to be playful and good-natured - not defensive or aggressive.

Defensive much!??!?  :lol

#ObligatoryCanadianApology

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #815 on: October 19, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
Very legit assessment of the song, and good to see you recognized the awesomeness of that solo. It's just amazing what he's able to do without going into tweedly/wankery zone.

Now for the struggle...

Ok, were in for this one....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:29:19 AM by lonestar »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »

Ya know... tone and intent is terrible in text.  My tone/intent was meant to be playful and good-natured - not defensive or aggressive.

Defensive much!??!?  :lol

#ObligatoryCanadianApology

I'm already on the road to kick your hoser ass.  :biggrin:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #817 on: October 19, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
Sent in my Round 3 song(s). Lets see how many of them get rejected  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #818 on: October 19, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
Has Round 2 even ended yet? :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #819 on: October 19, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
It has for me  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #820 on: October 19, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
It has for anybody that matters, tbh

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #821 on: October 19, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »
It has for anybody that matters, tbh

:blush
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #823 on: October 19, 2018, 04:27:31 PM »
It's gonna be over in about an hour, gents.

Thank you for your patience, but I had three songs on top refusing to let a winner emerge.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: October 19, 2018, 05:19:25 PM »
It's gonna be over in about an hour, gents.

Thank you for your patience, but I had three songs on top refusing to let a winner emerge.

That's what she said.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #825 on: October 19, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
Gotta give her a break. She's been through 16 rookies.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: October 19, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
Gotta give her a break. She's been through 16 rookies.

Then it should've been the quickest round ever.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #827 on: October 19, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
Rookies take a lot of time wearing condoms.

Round Two Results, 4 of 4:

kingshmegland - King Kongshmegland:

Frost* - Black Light Machine:

Bus Impression: "Where Genesis should have gone to in the 80's"
Timestamp Snippet: 7:19 – 7:46: SUPERFREAK!

I could copy&paste last round's writeup for Evermind's song here, changing names and specific details. A case of extreme Asia horror vacui enhanced by ultra-polished production makes everything shimmer here, almost to the point of saturation. Every component is beautiful (and sounds beautifully), in bricks as well as in particles, and the author knows it too well, to the point of never giving me dynamic time and space to stop and fully realise said beauty. Add a couple minutes, dilute some jelly of sound, and this round would have ended one day earlier.

Among the general excellence, I'd like to point out: 1) I'm a sucker for John Mitchell's work (and for Arena, for what is worth), the true heir to Andrew Latimer's peculiar brand of art. He's  capable of stopping the flood here and suspend the tune in magic. 2) The crazy funky synth section left me speechless and, with the last incredibly heavy minute, may very well be my favourite musical moment in this whole roulette so far. Had “mainstream” prog rock reacted this way to the 80's, my daughter would wear a IQ t-shirt right now instead of a Five Fingers Can't Focking Remember What one right now.   

Vote: 8.0 – We would have avoided the whole yuppie movement too.

romdrums - Seedy Rom and The Hard Drives:

In The Presence of Wolves – Man of the Times:

Bus Impression: "Marvel Comics Presents: Billy Sheehan 2099"
Timestamp Snippet: 2:50 – 3:02: Obviously, these guys have acces to Nuno's book of riffs

This and the next song are curious beasts. Apparently messy, but with a raw energy allowing every piece to fall into an original enthusiastic order. I can't (and don't wish to) place them inside any genre, but I can feel their peculiar souls and could have sworn they are debuts without help from a dedicated round. This one is another case of course-correction: same wild anarchic spirit as the Coheed's submission, but extremely more cohesive in its chaos and, above all, featuring an incredibly tighter guitar work. This goes to show you can keep sending the same kind of song you like, tweaking details according to my whims.

The intro is something only my wet dream Nuno-Sheehan collaboration could concoct, then you have approximatively 87 riff ideas worth a whole song with sheer violence being the common denominator, and a chorus I have nothing to compare to. The singer has the perfect Billy Milano meets John Connelly presence/attitude and a bass tone stealing thunders from Joey DiMaio, carrying drums and guitars with him, never allowing them to miss a bit. There's nothing refined in this song and I'm never tired of it.

Vote: 8.3 – What the Foo Fighters would be with Dave not being already a wealthy mofo when they started.

TAC - The aTACkers:

Lor – Visions of Awakening:

Bus Impression: "There is a Punk tune hidden here"
Timestamp Snippet: 2:42 – 2:52: From the Hansen&Weikath school of harmony

The last time I heard a debut song's first minute brimming with more raging unfiltered hunger for destruction and juvenile spunky need to show muscle, my brother was spinning Hit the Lights. This is punk in its noblest version, in spirit. The folky opening is Shane MacGowan punk. The relentless verse is Motorhead punk, the vocals are focking Warrior Soul punk, and then some. When the tune slows down and makes love to epic, it's Helloween punk, when Helloween were playful punks poking fun at heavy metal while being serious.

What makes this song memorable is the (very organic) contrast between the blitzkrieg section (you could power a medium size town connecting the drummer to a dynamo) and the classic doungeons&dragons ballady segment, featuring moods and harmonies worth keeping seven keys and a great guitar solo mixing aeolian and blues minors like a (young Ross The) Boss. How those two parts cohesist and actually enhance each other is a bona fide miracle for a debuting band. There's nothing refined in this song and I'm never tired of it.

Vote: 8.3 – You could have told me this came straight from 1983 and I wouldn't have beaten an eyelash.

Stadler - The Hartford Walers:

The Claypool Lennon Delirium – Cricket and the Genie:

Bus Impression: "I just heard a ghost"
Timestamp Snippet: 0:00 – 8:10: After the benefit show, Mr Kite has been promoted to Master of Reality

For the Benefit of Mr Kite meets Lord of this World and I lose my cool, then the ghost of John Winston Lennon lends it his contemptous surreal tone and I totally go bananas. This is playfully evil, like playfully evil is the way Colonel Les provides a parody of Macca with his smart vocal harmonies while, you know, impersonating the missing link between Geezer and Cliff among Iron Butterfly organs and a repertoire of toys making me rage for the glory days of analog tape freedom. Here is where I let love rule my judgement, but love is all you need.

The second movement (not essential to this first place, terrific nonetheless) I can only describe like A Night on Bald Mountain performed by sixties instrumentation after a party at Doctor Robert's, while the ending belongs to classic late Beatles estranged disturbing yet irresistable codas. As I was told in infancy, and as I repeat often, whatever your favourite act is doing, the Liddypool chaps have already done it, at least in seminal form. If John had met Tony Iommi in '67 instead of Yoko, we would have probably had thirty years of this delirium, but Sean could not be too happy about the results.

Vote: 8.5 – What happens when you mix the music that gave me dreams with the one that gave me nightmares.

Standings tomorrow. Have mercy.

In the meantime, gentlemen, start your mullets.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. Four ROYs
« Reply #828 on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
Fogey's represent!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #829 on: October 19, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
I'm actually not mad losing out to Lor and Frost*, but the other two???.......... :censored  :tdwn :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Indiscipline's Roulette: The Encino Man - v. Two Princes
« Reply #830 on: October 19, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
The Standings:

The Tranquility Old Farts Conference:
TAC - The aTACkers: 8.4 + 8.3 = 16.7
kingshmegland - King Kongshmegland: 8.6 + 8.0 = 16.6
lonestar - Team Fuck Canada: 8.8 + 7.5 = 16.3
romdrums - Seedy Rom and The Hard Drives: 7.0 + 8.3 = 15.3
Stadler - The Hartford Walers: 6.6 + 8.5 = 15.1
jingle.boy - Boston Bruins Blow: 7.8 + 7 = 14.8 -
:metal: DestinyOfChaos - The One Trick Ponies: 7.3 + 7.5 = 14.8
Kattelox - The Rainbow Warriors: 6.8 + 6.0 = 12.8

The Cetaphil Young Turks Conference:

Parama - Six Roaming Owls: 9.0 + 6.8 = 15.8
:scio: Evermind - Cockroach Sympathizers: 8.0 + 7.3 = 15.3
Sacul - Hangmanen Addicts: 9.0 + 6.2 = 15.2
:ariich: ariich - Sexin'-You-Laters: 7.0 + 7.5 = 14.5
:shadowninja: Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Wayward Vagabonds: 7.6 + 6.4 = 14
:crypt: Elite - Rich and The Poor Tastes: 7.3 + 6.6 = 13.9
:metardica: Puppies_On_Acid - West Coast Lost Marbles: 6.2 + 7.7 = 13.9
Aefenwelg - The Uhhhh.. Wildcats: 6.4 + 6.8 = 13.2

i did most of the work for you, np
all i wanted to do was confirm that because the turks division collectively did horrible this round i'm still on top  :angel:
that ain't lasting past this round

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #831 on: October 19, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »
Sweet, I'm out of the cellar and tied with Elite....and not too far behind Shadow Ninja and Ariich. I may have a chance at a comeback
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #833 on: October 19, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
I'm actually not mad losing out to Lor

This is such a great album. 

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #834 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

And thanks to you sending it in my first roulette, I bought the album, and it's really good.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #835 on: October 19, 2018, 06:34:44 PM »

And thanks to you sending it in my first roulette, I bought the album, and it's really good.

You hear that ariich??

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #836 on: October 19, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »

You hear that ariich??
I cant remember, did you send it to him in a roulette and he didn't like it?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #837 on: October 19, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Said some nice things, some not so nice things...7.5.  :lol

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #838 on: October 19, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
Wow, the disparity. It's like the actual Western and Eastern conferences.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: October 19, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
Wow. Last place by .4 and over a whole point behind third to last. Gonna marinate in my mediocrity a lil bit before sending.