Author Topic: Genre/subgenre labels - absolute truth or not?  (Read 865 times)

Offline WildRanger

Genre/subgenre labels - absolute truth or not?
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:53:07 PM »
When we talked about 'quality' in music we determined that ratings of bands, albums and songs are mostly subjective and not the absolute truth. But how about labeling music with genres and subgenres? Are they objective facts or not?

For example, most people would consider Black Sabbath heavy metal, but some people would call them just hard rock. Similar thing when it comes to Motorhead.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Genre/subgenre labels - absolute truth or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
Well, tons of bands would hate it if you label them, Steven Wilson being the first. I think there are some bands that fall under 1, maybe 2 clear genres however there is a big amount of bands that explore different avenues when it comes to music and trying to label those bands is trickier and I'm not sure if it does any good. I personally wouldn't know how to label Anathema for example.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
They're only objective on the broadest of levels. Iron Maiden is not rock, but they are metal, which in turn is a subset of rock music. Lady Gaga is very clearly not rock, she is pop. Enya is not jazz, she is new age. Those are facts. Once you go down the rabbit hole, things get more and more subjective. Wintersun on Metal-Archives is listed as "symphonic melodic death metal" - uh, okay then, you could also just go with "folk metal."

Overall, subjective terminology is subjective. But there is, at some level, objectivity to it - again, Katy Perry is pop, not classical. J.S. Bach is baroque era classical, obviously not rock music. The more you get into subgenres, the more annoying it becomes, the more subjective the terminology gets, because not everyone will agree, and sometimes it just gets to be way too much, at some point you start getting to labels that only apply to a handful of bands or even one artist.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
Interesting that you've used the phrase "absolute truth". Unlike quality, descriptors such as genre/sub-genre labels are undoubtedly objective. But they're also not absolute truth, because there is plenty of room for interpretation. I completely agree that the more specific the sub-genre, the more subjective and open to interpretation. High-level classifiers such as pop, rock, metal, classical (as the umbrella term, rather than the specific period, which is confusing in itself), electronic, etc. are, perhaps not absolute truth, but still defined by some pretty clear parameters and the majority of music will sit primarily within one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
I honestly couldn't give a shit whether Sabbath is "metal", "heavy metal", "classic metal", "blues metal", or whatever the f***. I still like it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
I honestly couldn't give a shit whether Sabbath is "metal", "heavy metal", "classic metal", "blues metal", or whatever the f***. I still like it.

They are Like It Metal! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 02:14:45 PM »
Sounds change, labels adjusted, not a big deal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
Also many people consider Rush to be prog rock but some don't. Same with Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
Also many people consider Rush to be prog rock but some don't. Same with Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.

and who gives a shit, honestly?

Genres change through time, as do the sounds we associate with genre. There is no 'absolute truth' at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
Definitely not absolute truths on genre labels.  Very few bands can be fit perfectly into a genre hole.  There's lots of room for interpretation of the genre as well as a band's music.  Even at the broadest level, there can be a grey area for music to be more than one genre. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »
WildRanger is Yo-Yo Ma and we are his cello.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »
Maybe you should stay with your MA MA. She could do your laundry and cook for you. Maybe you should stay with your MA MA. You're really kind of stupid and ugly too.

But now seriously.. there is no absolute truth. Genres and subgenres are just a way to organize things. Of course you wouldn't call classical music "hip-hop". But there are some instances when every person has their own definition of what style a certain band plays. There is no absolute truth!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
how about labeling music with genres and subgenres? Are they objective facts or not?

I think there are some objective facts -- e.g., that Iron Maiden and Metallica are metal bands.  However, there are few things sillier and more subjective than the seemingly infinite number of sub-genres that folks have concocted to label give to metal bands.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
I enjoy all these sub-genres like I enjoy pointless polling - very little.  :lol

Had to, WR. Just a little friendly ribbing to get Monday moving.  :yarr
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!