Author Topic: The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. One million lights are shining bright  (Read 13761 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. Zantera / Sacul Music
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2018, 02:00:29 PM »
I just noticed this thread. Thanks, Evermind! Following and shit.

Listening to Orphaned Land now. I'll edit this post later with my thoughts.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
Ready to lose a coin toss  :metal

Just did it and :corn

I just noticed this thread. Thanks, Evermind! Following and shit.

Listening to Orphaned Land now. I'll edit this post later with my thoughts.

No problem and also don't hesitate to suggest your own stuff!

Next album is coming up tomorrow! Listened to some tracks and I'm very excited for this one.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:58:38 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
Yeah if you're excited for it then it's not mine  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 09:03:13 AM »
I have stuff I want to suggest but it's not metal and I want to space them out between metal suggestions so hopefully next week's is a metal album :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Personally I think most of us are cool with non metal stuff.

If the next album's mine though then it's fairly metally.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. Arcane science of temporal exploration
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2018, 06:17:57 AM »
Time to introduce the next record! This week's album is recommended to you guys by Shadow Ninja 2.0.

The Sword - Warp Riders (2010)

Hard rock, heavy metal, stoner rock/metal
Length: 48:16

Part I: The Archer & The Orb

1. Acheron / Unearthing the Orb (3:43)
2. Tres Brujas (4:09)
3. Arrows in the Dark (4:30)
4. The Chronomancer I: Hubris (7:35)
5. Lawless Lands (5:09)

Part II: The Android & The Sword

6. Astraea's Dream (3:23)
7. The Warp Riders (3:57)
8. Night City (3:50)
9. The Chronomancer II: Nemesis (5:49)
10. (The Night the Sky Cried) Tears of Fire (6:11)

J. D. Cronise – vocals, guitars
Kyle Shutt – guitars
Bryan Richie – bass
Trivett Wingo – drums, percussion

You can check this album out via:

Spotify Link
YouTube
Yandex.Music link

If you don't want to blindly dive into the whole album, check out these officially released songs from the album:

The Sword - Tres Brujas
The Sword - Lawless Lands
The Sword - Night Cioty

Shadow Ninja 2.0: I figure I'll start with a fairly safe choice and branch out to weird stuff later, so my album this time is The Sword - Warp Riders, which I haven't seen mentioned really around here so I'm assuming that some people at least haven't heard it. They're a hard rock/classic-ish metal group with a sort of laid back, stoner-rock style groove to them.

---

According to Wikipedia, The Sword is an American heavy metal band from Austin, Texas. Formed in 2003, the band is currently composed of vocalist and guitarist John D. Cronise, guitarist Kyle Shutt, bassist Bryan Richie and drummer Santiago "Jimmy" Vela III.

During its early career, The Sword was categorized primarily as a doom metal band, with the group's members citing bands including Black Sabbath and Sleep as influences. In recent years, the group's style has generally been classified as hard rock or stoner rock. The Sword has toured with a wide range of fellow rock and metal artists since its formation, including Metallica, Lamb of God and Clutch, and in recent years has also headlined its own tours.

Warp Riders is the third studio album by American heavy metal band The Sword. Recorded at Wire Recording in Austin, Texas with producer Matt Bayles, it was released by Kemado Records in August 2010. Warp Riders was written and recorded as a concept album centred on an original science fiction narrative written by vocalist and guitarist J. D. Cronise, and marks a conscious change in style from doom metal to a more hard rock-influenced sound.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nice, I'll give it a listen during the week :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
another one i listened to in the past and wasn't too into  :P
guess i'll have to wait until next week

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, next week is definitely yours!

Offline ChuckSteak

That album is amazing.  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
another one i listened to in the past and wasn't too into  :P
guess i'll have to wait until next week

Somehow, Parama, that does not surprise me. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Oh cool. I'll check this out today. Only Sword song I know is Freya, the one that was in Guitar Hero.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Ah, my favorite Sword album  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm about half way through listening to Warp Riders.

So far, this mother has a very, very strong CoC feel to it (circa Deliverance/Wiseblood era)...and I mean that in the best possible way! :2metal:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm about half way through listening to Warp Riders.

So far, this mother has a very, very strong CoC feel to it (circa Deliverance/Wiseblood era)...and I mean that in the best possible way! :2metal:

:metal

I gave this album a listen and my impression was pretty positive. I wasn't too fond of the 'stoner' aspect of the music, sometimes the vocals were a bit on the droning side; but I really liked the instrumental passages.

As with Snarky Puppy, this is something I will not likely revisit after this week passes, but it's definitely enjoyable enough to have in rotation for the rest of the week.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I enjoyed the second half as well. I don't know how much I'll revisit the album, though. Unlike those CoC albums I mentioned, the lyrical content of Warp Riders isn't really my thing so that brought it down some. I had no problem with the vocal performance even if it wasn't particularly memorable.

I forgot to listen to the Snarky Puppy selection. I'll do that now.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I fucking loved this album!

I've been meaning to check out The Sword since their inception. I dig this sort of music where the band are going for that retro style. I especially dig the album art as well.

For anyone who is interested in this, I'd suggest you check out The Alchemist by Witchcraft  :metal

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

I've been meaning to check out The Sword since their inception. I dig this sort of music where the band are going for that retro style. I especially dig the album art as well.

Don't get too excited about digging in to the rest of their discography, it's all downhill from here. The 2 albums before this were pretty good, but the albums after sound like they ran out of good ideas and got progressively more boring and more of a chore to get through. This is all just my opinion though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I actually found the first albums pretty much unlistenable. :lol

Warp Riders is clearly the best. The next one, Apochryphon, is nominally the same style, but I never manage to listen to it for very long.

The ones after that pretty much drop the metal entirely and are a step down, but actually have some really good tracks once you get used to it.

Offline ChuckSteak

I actually found the first albums pretty much unlistenable. :lol
What?  :o The first two are very good too.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Gave this a listen, and the first couple tracks were pretty cool bangers, but as it kept playing, things started to blur a lot and my interest faded. Might revisit later.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I've been listening to Snarky Puppy We Like It Here over and over for the last couple of days. It's simply fantastic. At first, I was put off by its density but second and third listens really grabbed me. The central keyboard bit of Lingus (from about 4:20 through 8:20) is just sublime and is the best jazz fusion I've heard in years. If Frank Zappa was still alive, he'd be playing that on constant rotation in his home.

Wow.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Okay, finally listened to The Sword.

The album cover looks like those science fiction paperbacks from the 50s/60s/70s and obviously the storyline fits that science fiction theme. But the music doesn't sound like that at all, despite the descriptions here I somehow expected something different.

But it's not bad on first listen. I'm not blown away but might give it some more spins and see if it is a grower.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I have gotten into The Sword a bit over the past year or so. I think this is probably my favorite album by them.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I like the sound of doom metal but rarely am I in the mood for the long drawn out style that comes with it. The Sword is a nice blend of that crunchy guitar sound but with catchy songs. Kinda like Sabbath in a way but they’re still doing their own thing. Very enjoyable album although I’ll echo the sentiment that it gets a bit samey toward the end. Still some great songs and a nice throwback metal sound that doesn’t sound too stuck in the 60s.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. Ist es alles nur leben und mein Problem
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
And it's time for the next one! Our next prog-metal German-influenced record is introduced to you by Parama! Zer gut! (I don't know anything about German language, you're welcome!)

The Hirsch Effekt - Holon: Anamnesis (2012)

Progressive Parama-metal, mathcore
Length: 66:19

1. Anamnesis (3:01)
2. Limerent (4:25)
3. Absenz (5:55)
4. Agitation (9:18)
5. Ligaphob (9:17)
6. Mara (11:47)
7. Irrath (6:40)
8. Ira (7:35)
9. Datorie (8:21)

Nils Wittrock - vocals, guitar
Ilja John Lappin - bass, vocals
Philipp Wende - drums

You can check this album out via:

Spotify Link
Bandcamp
Yandex.Music link

If you don't want to blindly dive into the whole album, check out these officially released songs from the album:

The Hirsch Effekt - Absenz
The Hirsch Effekt - Mara

Parama: Simply put, this is a heavily melodic (but still often quite aggressive) hour and change of some of the most dynamic and memorable progressive metal out there, with an emphasis on balancing technicality and catchiness alongside some powerful emotional gravitas. It's as beautiful as it is (occasionally) crushing and there's a decent number of quirkier moments mixed in alongside the more straightforward metal. I'm aware that some parts of this probably get too heavy for a lot of members of this board but I still think there's more than enough for most fans of progressive metal to like here.

Personal highlights are the grandiose Agitation in the first half, one of the most straightforward tracks the band's ever done yet one of the most potent, a long buildup to a powerful climax that stays compelling the whole way through; and the ending trinity of songs that flow together as a pseudo-suite; the emotionally charged Irrath, the chaotic and unraveling Ira, and the gentle finale Datorie, three tracks that in succession show off the best of all sides of the band.

I can't recommend this one enough and it's rare to find an album that on a fundamental level just works this well for me, and while I'm sure it's not for everyone I definitely recommend you give it a chance. Or don't, your loss. :lol

---

There is no need for me to add anything to this, just go ahead and discover this crazy progressive German-influenced growly metal for yourselves!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:31:28 AM by Evermind »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Also disclaimer if you couldn't tell, I don't know anything about German language, so I just picked the line that looks good enough and that's the thread title now. I apologize to our fellow Deutsch people. :biggrin:

edit: I also changed it because why not. :lol
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:36:28 PM by Evermind »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
This album is amazing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. Ist es the Parama Effekt
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
it is in my top 10 of all time for sure

I doubt most people here would like it tho

Also the band member names are on RYM

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_hirsch_effekt

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
"German-influenced"? :lol

Great album, I think I like Agnosie and Eskapist a bit better right now but all 3 are very good and relevant albums in the current progmetal scene!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2018, 03:43:53 PM »
yes, of course you'd like the more mathcore-y albums more  :P i like all their albums but anamnesis is definitely my favorite, it's the only one that's just like, really damn good the whole way through

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »
With Agnosie definitely yes but I don't think Eskapist ever really has mathcore moments? Maybe Tardigrada and a couple of moments in Lifnej, but I feel like it's more alternative metal with a bit of metalcore

But since Agnosie is probably my favourite I wouldn't doubt that my love for mathcore came into play :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »
Great album, I think I like Agnosie and Eskapist a bit better right now but all 3 are very good and relevant albums in the current progmetal scene!

Basically this. Agnosie was the first album of theirs I loved and Eskapist has grown on me a lot since it's release. It's a pretty close tie between the three albums though so this album is equally as great.

I might go listen to it now  :biggrin:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »
"German-influenced"? :lol

I was pretty tired yesterday. :lol Not sure what I even meant. I think I just intended it to say "German", but I'll leave it as it is. :lol Just noticed I even wrote it twice.