Author Topic: The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. One million lights are shining bright  (Read 13837 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. The phoenix now is taking flight
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 01:38:24 AM »
The Cave blew me away. In my opinion, the true mark of an epic classic is its ability to perfectly mix and balance elements which - examined singularly - feature a crazy high cheese/cringe risk quotient, and this songs succeeds with impressive elegance and efficacy in that regard.

. The intro is pure inner soul athmosphere. It could have been your run of the mill "desert" pic.
. The middle eastern colours aren't an overused spice here, but a rational expressive necessity true to a culture's expression. Plus, I love the way they're sparkled over the most classical among western minor progressions.
. The rythm section is a dervish in perpetual motion, yet in a strange brilliant way it brings gravitas, not chaotic speed.
. The Plato's myth reference rings desperately urgent, not easily preachy. It's not easy to talk about dark and light without sounding like bad superficial fantasy, but it is done here.
. I love high range powerful baritones. This guy thunders without losing tenderness
. The call-answer structure is how song was (re)born with plagal chants in the middle ages. The formula feels totally refreshed here, without losing a bit of its powerful long tradition.

Thanks Evermind for doing this.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
The Cave truly is one of the best songs of the year and one of the most 'complete' songs that I can recall, for a song with such an epic feeling, it's so short (meant as a good thing since it doesn't really miss anything). Hence why I've sent it so much in roulettes :biggrin:

The album is good, but did fall out of my top 10/top 15 of the year for sure. Assuming we aren't going to do an awful lot of multiple albums by the same band especially now in the start, I wanna mention something that was mentioned before too. Mabool is the best Orphaned Land album and maybe one of the best concept albums that I know. The album flows better than pretty much any album I know, though Prophets & Messiahs probably has OL's strongest tracks ever in The Cave and Chains Fall to Gravity I'd say. The album just fails to come to a great climax like Mabool does, in my opinion.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »
So the Orphaned Land album has the same problems to me as most progressive metal these days. It's just so damn cheesy. I used to love the dramatic aspects of prog music, but now I find it to be a huge turn-off most of the time. There were a couple moments on this album that nearly made me laugh due to the cheesiness of it. I dunno... musically it's good. I get why people would like it. I wish that stuff didn't bother me so much because I know I'm missing out on some great stuff, but I just can't get over it.

Oh well... on to next week's suggestion!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
What does everyone think about the censorship in one of the songs? I have the disc here ready to spin in the car tomorrow as opposed to just playing it via bluetooth, I may take some time to flip through the booklet as I listen (parked, of course!). I remember that part throwing me for a loop but now it's not so jarring.

I think the censorship is fine, as it was the band's decision and not something forced on them. The censorship makes sense especially given how the album is centered on political issues and themes. Also it's more than one of the songs, I totally remember some beeps in We Do Not Resist and Left Behind and possibly more songs.

Killer album, a certain front runner for AOTY for me. This thing owned me up till Ostura came out, and it still gets serious playtime. Best tracks are The Cave and Chains Fall to Gravity.

I knew you were a fan from your Facebook page. I actually thought to go see the band simply because of your posts related to their gig you saw, but I remembered not liking them in my roulette and decided to pass. :facepalm:

I guess at this point I need to listen to Mabool!

The Cave blew me away. <snip>

Did you know the album beforehand or was that your first listen? Anyway, glad to have you on board!

Oh well... on to next week's suggestion!

No worries, fairly sure it won't be your run-of-the-mill prog metal entry based on what I've got in my PM right now. ;)

Also, big plus to Hansi Kursch guesting on Like Orpheus. That's a home run of a song.

So the Orphaned Land album has the same problems to me as most progressive metal these days. It's just so damn cheesy. I used to love the dramatic aspects of prog music, but now I find it to be a huge turn-off most of the time. There were a couple moments on this album that nearly made me laugh due to the cheesiness of it.

*growly voice* AND FIGHT!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
What about (believe the line went like this) the line in We Do No Resist: "Masters of treachery and measuring their *PEEP*s"
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
The Cave blew me away. In my opinion, the true mark of an epic classic is its ability to perfectly mix and balance elements which - examined singularly - feature a crazy high cheese/cringe risk quotient, and this songs succeeds with impressive elegance and efficacy in that regard.

. The intro is pure inner soul athmosphere. It could have been your run of the mill "desert" pic.
. The middle eastern colours aren't an overused spice here, but a rational expressive necessity true to a culture's expression. Plus, I love the way they're sparkled over the most classical among western minor progressions.
. The rythm section is a dervish in perpetual motion, yet in a strange brilliant way it brings gravitas, not chaotic speed.
. The Plato's myth reference rings desperately urgent, not easily preachy. It's not easy to talk about dark and light without sounding like bad superficial fantasy, but it is done here.
. I love high range powerful baritones. This guy thunders without losing tenderness
. The call-answer structure is how song was (re)born with plagal chants in the middle ages. The formula feels totally refreshed here, without losing a bit of its powerful long tradition.

Thanks Evermind for doing this.

This sure blows away my description of The Cave from Round 1 of my roulette!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 11:10:55 AM »
Did you know the album beforehand or was that your first listen? Anyway, glad to have you on board!

Wasn't aware of their existance until lonestar's submission in Jingle's roulette.

I'd like to add that, despite generally refusing growls (they make my throat hurt via ear conduit, if it makes sense), the ones in The Cave feel right, sorta like the only particular musical instrument able to do justice to those particular notes. 

This sure blows away my description of The Cave from Round 1 of my roulette!

I have the advantage of not having to make sense!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
Kobi's voice is so freaking pleasant to hear. The growls are tolerable to me (a good thing, not in a negative way), but his clean singing is just superb, lovely voice.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. Zantera / Sacul Music
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
Moving on! This week's album is recommended to you guys by Sacul.

Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here (2014)

Instrumental Jazz Fusion
Length: 54:38

1. Shofukan (6:33)
2. What About Me? (6:42)
3. Sleeper (6:51)
4. Jambone (5:07)
5. Kite (6:12)
6. Outlier (6:45)
7. Tio Macaco (5:43)
8. Lingus (10:45)

Michael League – electric bass, Moog keybass
Bill Laurance – acoustic piano, Fender Rhodes, keyboards
Justin Stanton – Fender Rhodes, keyboards, trumpet
Cory Henry – Hammond B3 organ, keyboards
Shaun Martin – Moog talkbox, keyboards
Bob Lanzetti – electric guitar
Mark Lettieri – electric guitar
Chris McQueen – electric guitar, baritone guitar
Chris Bullock – tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, flute
Bob Reynolds – tenor saxophone
Mike "Maz" Maher – trumpet, flugelhorn
Jay Jennings – trumpet, flugelhorn
Nate Werth – percussion
Larnell Lewis – drums
Yannick Hiwat – violin
Tessel Hersbach – violin
Mara Tieles – viola
Susanne Rosmolen – cello
Julio Pimental – percussion on tracks 4 and 7
Steven Brezet – percussion on tracks 4 and 7

You can check this album out via:

Spotify Link
Official YouTube playlist
Yandex.Music link

If you don't want to blindly dive into the whole album, check out these officially released songs from the album:

Snarky Puppy - Shofukan
Snarky Puppy - Sleeper
Snarky Puppy - Lingus

Sacul: This is a very comfy and fun album, by very talented people, and has some proggy moments. Lovely jazz fusion that everybody can like - it will put a smile on your face for sure.

---

According to Wikipedia, Snarky Puppy is a Brooklyn-based "...fusion-influenced jam band..." led by bassist, composer, and producer Michael League. Snarky Puppy combines jazz, rock, and funk and has won three Grammy Awards. Although the group has since included vocalists and has backed singers, League once described Snarky Puppy as "a pop band that improvises a lot, without vocals".

This album was performed and recorded live in October 2013 at the artistic compound Kytopia in Utrecht, Netherlands. It was released in February 2014, debuting at number one on the iTunes Jazz Charts.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Weekly Album Suggestion Thread v. Zantera / Sacul Music
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
Such a nice record, I think even progheads will find something to enjoy here  :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
Actually pleasantly surprised it's not prog. I enjoyed Family Dinner Vol. 1 when Sacul sent it in my roulette, so I'm looking forward to this. Will listen later today.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »
will add this to my to-listen list (which is p. short now so i should be able to get to this quickly enough)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »
Love Snarky Puppy! More later
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
I've listened to some bits here and there and I'll admit I'm really curious about this album! I'll check it out on my commute tomorrow.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »
Actually pleasantly surprised it's not prog.
Oh don't be mistaken, this is definitely a proggy album though more jazz fusion than prog. It is so fucking good though, probably the single most fun record I've discovered in the last few years and What About Me? has become one of my recent favourite tunes. Thanks Slackul!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:08:24 PM by Train of Naught »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 04:24:58 AM »
Listening now.

I've heard these guys mentioned quite a bit around here but I was obviously confusing them with the Industrial band Skinny Puppy  :lol

This is really pleasant so far.

Edit: so after listening through the whole thing I was pleasantly surprised. This is the sort of album that makes me wish my Dad was still alive. He loved jazz more than I did and he definitely would've loved hearing new music in this style. For me, I enjoyed it but couldn't see myself revisiting it that often. I'd probably stick it on as background music whilst I was concentrating on other things. Jazz is just a bit to all over the place for me to really love it.

Good album though and this thread is doing its job, getting me checking out albums I may not otherwise.

I need to come up with my own submission soon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:53:15 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
Good stuff, although for the jazzy stuff I prefer stuff more like The Rippingtons or Incognito. Very pleasant album although it sometimes sounds like it meanders a bit much.  Really tasty playing all around, hope it grows on me with a few more listens throughout the week.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2018, 07:12:34 AM »
I like the description of Snarky Puppy as a pop band that improvises a lot. That's surprisingly apt. I've also seen them described as "party jazz" which is kinda meant to bring up a similar connotation I guess. Their music is huge on groove, simple melodies, and is easy to dance to. They can be pretty loud and usually play in rock venues. But they still have a lot of cred with hardcore Jazz audiences. With those things in mind, they are a good "gateway" band for pop/rock fans who aren't familiar with Jazz or are put off by its denser elements. Sort of similar to Big Band music in the 30s and 40s, but with actual cultural relevance today. I wouldn't really describe them as proggy, jazz fusion depends on the definition being used (both terms can be pretty fluid).

We Like It Here is a good album and the one that really turned me on to the band. Nice diverse set of tunes. Lingus is the one that seems to get the most attention, which is deserved. The keyboard solo alone is already a classic. It's hard to listen to this album and not feel energized. There's not much more to it.

My favorite Snarky Puppy is actually Sylva. It is a more unified piece and has a bit more going on musically, in my opinion. It also has the addition of an orchestra to expand the sonic palette further. I also highly recommend the Family Dinner albums to hear them collaborating with other musicians (lots of vocalists) and doing arrangements of other people's work. Those albums also got me into the band Knower, which was another great find.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
I've never even heard of this band, but I'm really loving them so far. A lot of instrumental stuff doesn't really work for me, but this is amazing. :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
tried listening to this just now but didn't get through the last two tracks. i dunno. it's not bad but it was kinda boring to me & i started zoning out after like the third or fourth song

not my thing, basically, but i already knew that

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
I liked the Snarky Puppy album. Jazz is one of those things that in theory I like, but rarely go out of my way to listen to. It was definitely a nice change of pace from the usual rock genres I listen to.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »
Gave the album a spin. Even though I enjoyed the music, the album fails to engage me into it to a degree that I want to listen to it again.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
I'm quite glad some of you are enjoying record  :D . It can be a bit dense to listen to at first, so if you'd like something with shorter and catchier songs, with a more pop approach and vocals, I highly recommend their album Family Dinner Vol. 1 - great mix of fun and emotional pieces.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
hey some people liking it is gonna be better than when my pick shows up here and nobody likes it

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
:lol

I listened to We Like It Here today, and I thought the music was enjoyable, but I had basically the same problem with it I have with most of the instrumental albums, I can't focus my attention on anything there and I end up not remembering anything in particular. But nothing there made me want to turn it off, it's definitely an enjoyable album. Out of the songs, I think the one I really liked was Kite.

Also, it's much more fun to watch them actually performing it via YouTube videos than just listen to the audio.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
hey some people liking it is gonna be better than when my pick shows up here and nobody likes it
Except for maybe me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
You have one album of theirs rated highly but none of their others rated

I actually need to check if they're on your banlist now, hmm

Edit: yeah they are, I figured as much :P

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »
You have one album of theirs rated highly but none of their others rated

I actually need to check if they're on your banlist now, hmm

Edit: yeah they are, I figured as much :P
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2018, 03:51:31 PM »

I listened to We Like It Here today, and I thought the music was enjoyable, but I had basically the same problem with it I have with most of the instrumental albums, I can't focus my attention on anything there and I end up not remembering anything in particular. But nothing there made me want to turn it off, it's definitely an enjoyable album. Out of the songs, I think the one I really liked was Kite.

Also, it's much more fun to watch them actually performing it via YouTube videos than just listen to the audio.
I get you, watching their performances is fantastic, and I feel this album is better digested one song at a time, and better with the videos. Give Familiy Dinner Vol. 1 a try - most songs have vocals and are pretty catchy, very nice album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »
Just dropping in to say I've been listening to this album all day, and it's going the list of albums to acquire. Going to check out their other stuff soon as well.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »
Finally have listened to both albums.

Orphaned Land: starts strong and is good overall, needs more listens to really appreciate it I'm sure, but I will set it on my "to buy" list. And although I really like it, it is cheesy as fuck sometimes.

Snarky Puppy: Not bad, not bad at all. But its sometimes too easy listening for my taste, too much Jazz-light and too much noodeling. I'm not sure if this has serious replay-value but I will give it some more spins nonetheless.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »

Orphaned Land: starts strong and is good overall, needs more listens to really appreciate it I'm sure, but I will set it on my "to buy" list. And although I really like it, it is cheesy as fuck sometimes.

How so?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Just dropping in to say I've been listening to this album all day, and it's going the list of albums to acquire. Going to check out their other stuff soon as well.

Well, that means this thread is working as intended!

I think it's nowhere near the levels of Ayreon cheese, for example. Glad to see you participating though!

By the way, I have two entries in my inbox for the next two weeks, and I'm probably just going to toss a coin to decide which one goes first this Sunday, but after these two it's free game for anyone who wants to recommend something to the community. Send your PMs, descriptions (if you want to) and in a few weeks it'll be your album in the spotlight.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:04:07 AM by Evermind »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »
Ready to lose a coin toss  :metal

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »

How so?

The choir, the female vocals, the keyboards/orchestra in the opener for example. Maybe cheesy is the wrong word, in german I would say it's "kitschig".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D