Author Topic: Visiting Budapest  (Read 1552 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Visiting Budapest
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
For anyone lives/has lived/visited Budapest. What are the best things to do, places to visit, places to eat, bars to drink etc.

I'm going in a few weeks with my partner and brother. We're pretty much up for anything and love all types of food.

All recommendations welcome. Can't wait and thanks in advance guys.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Visiting Budapest
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
City Park Ice Rink is really cool. Also check out Heroe's Square.

I've only been once, but it's a great place just to walk. If you walk down the river bank, and that whole area is beautiful.

Also, make sure to listen to Remedy Lane while there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
City Park Ice Rink is really cool. Also check out Heroe's Square.

I've only been once, but it's a great place just to walk. If you walk down the river bank, and that whole area is beautiful.

Also, make sure to listen to Remedy Lane while there.

Nice, I'll do that.

Any particular reason for Remedy Lane? I'd love to say I'd get my fiancee and brother listening but they'd hate PoS  :yeahright

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »
Oh, the album has a huge Budapest sub-plot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:05:26 AM »
Oh, the album has a huge Budapest sub-plot.

:lol

There are so many concept albums I've listened to where I don't even know the story. I'll definitely give it a listen while I'm out there (and pay attention to the lyrics).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:14:27 AM »
While I've not been to Budapest, my approach to big towns I have to visit is:

- Read a bit on Wikipedia and WikiTravel
- Find the occasional blog of someone passionate about the city to get a more personal feel about the town
- Use Street View to get a feel of the place, sure, it's a bit spoilerish but I personally hate to go to a faraway place and then come back home and discover I was 100 meters away from a beautiful landmark I didn't know existed

I'd suggest also to find out where your hotel or whatever is, and start to get a feel of how the transports work, so that you'll know how to move around.

Also, I don't need to have been to Budapest to know the parliament is absurdingly beautiful, that is probably the town's number one landmark and it can't be missed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 05:10:29 AM »
And don't forget about the respective Jethro Tull song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:49:46 AM »
You going with your significant other means 80% of my recommendations are disqualified.

The National Opera Theatre (in the Pest side) is a jewel. Speaking of which, try to catch some operetta somewhere (there's always something on in Budapest). In this day and age, Hungarian operetta shows are the most accomplished and complete forms of musical theatre in Europe.

When at the restaurant, do yourself a favour and say the magic word Goulasch (if you have no trouble with meat).

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
Fuck, I was planning to go to Budapest in October but decided I should save up money :lol never been, but MirrorMask's approach is basically what I would do for every new country visit. If you guys are into underground Drum and Bass parties I can give you some tips because one of my friends from college came from Budapest and was big into DnB, but I doubt that's the kind of tips you're looking for
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
You going with your significant other means 80% of my recommendations are disqualified.

The National Opera Theatre (in the Pest side) is a jewel. Speaking of which, try to catch some operetta somewhere (there's always something on in Budapest). In this day and age, Hungarian operetta shows are the most accomplished and complete forms of musical theatre in Europe.

When at the restaurant, do yourself a favour and say the magic word Goulasch (if you have no trouble with meat).

Cool, I might suggest the operetta. I don't think it would be my brothers thing but my fiancee might enjoy it. When it comes to food, me and my fiancee went 'veggie' last year, but we're more selectetarian to be honest as if we feel like eating meat we do. I'm definitely planning to eat all the local cuisine so I'll be on meat for sure.

Fuck, I was planning to go to Budapest in October but decided I should save up money :lol never been, but MirrorMask's approach is basically what I would do for every new country visit. If you guys are into underground Drum and Bass parties I can give you some tips because one of my friends from college came from Budapest and was big into DnB, but I doubt that's the kind of tips you're looking for

Well, maybe it's best you aren't going to be there dude. Not sure how my fiancee and brother would feel about meeting up with some guy I talk about music with on the internet. They'd probably think it's a bit weird  :lol they think the concept of a roulette is a weird thing to do on the internet and can't understand how I spend so much time on DTF  :rollin it may be even weirder listening to us geek out in person!

But in all seriousness, I would meet up given the chance, they can think what they want! We're not really into DnB but cheers for the offer  :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 01:18:42 AM »
Anyway, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that wants to listen to song specific to the place they visit  ;D

When I went to Paris I made a point to listen to Place Vendome (AOR project with Michael Kiske singing, title track of the debut album) in the actual Place Vendome, and whenever I will go to Lisbon, you can be damn sure that the Angra song of the same name will be on my muuuusic playeeeeer.

Ironically, I didn't listen to Vuur's London in London 'cause I'm not particulary fond of the song  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:40:59 AM »

Well, maybe it's best you aren't going to be there dude. Not sure how my fiancee and brother would feel about meeting up with some guy I talk about music with on the internet. They'd probably think it's a bit weird  :lol they think the concept of a roulette is a weird thing to do on the internet and can't understand how I spend so much time on DTF  :rollin it may be even weirder listening to us geek out in person!

But in all seriousness, I would meet up given the chance, they can think what they want! We're not really into DnB but cheers for the offer  :tup
:lol fair enough
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I just want to say I'm Hungarian and make awesome chicken paprika with dumplings. I would love to go to Budapest some day.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
I just want to say I'm Hungarian and make awesome chicken paprika with dumplings. I would love to go to Budapest some day.

No, you're HUNGRY, not Hungarian. I get the mix up though. Go have some dumplings bud.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »

No, you're HUNGRY, not Hungarian. I get the mix up though. Go have some dumplings bud.
Actually I'm Hungarian. Paprika is the spice of the gods in my house!

Offline Adami

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »

Are you at least hungry too?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 06:44:14 AM »

Are you at least hungry too?
Of coarse I'm hungry! I put the hungry in Hungarian!!!