Author Topic: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?  (Read 11890 times)

Offline WildRanger

"Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?
« on: September 13, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
Can you name some albums that are widely considered to be timeless classics (or "must-have" in the collection) but you could never get into them for some reason? And why?

Offline Architeuthis

Re: "Must-have" or huge classic albums that you "don't get"?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
Anything by Queen..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »
I am sure these are "You had to be there at the time" material but:

Pet Sounds: Has one of my favorite songs ever (Sloop John B, a reworked folk song) and two excellent time classics (Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows) but otherwise nothing that impresses or resonates with me or compels me to ever listen to.

Sgt Pepper: Just because they had 3-4 better albums. Which I guess says something about the quality of their discography. 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
I feel like (as evidenced by the first response) this will likely be more band related than specific album related. For me it's anything by Pink Floyd. Nothing against them at all, but I just don't "get it" the way other people do.

I can't think of a specific album that i don't get when I get other albums by that band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
Anything by The Beatles or Black Sabbath. Most Metallica. Slayer's Reign in Blood if that counts I guess. Literally anything and everything by Chris Cornell, I guess Temple of the Dog's album was highly important but it's noise to me. Anything by Floyd except Dark Side and The Wall but especially WYWH and Animals.

I can probably think of 30 more classics if I tried. Yes, there is stuff I do like, too.  :biggrin:  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
The Beatles (White Album)
Foxtrot - Genesis
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Awake, never knew why but I could never really get into it, it's a bottom 3 or 4 DT album for me.

Oh and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea :corn seriously what's the hype for that album about
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »
Sgt Pepper: Just because they had 3-4 better albums. Which I guess says something about the quality of their discography.

Both of these! I mean I really love The Beatles but Revolver and Abbey Road beat these hands down. The former is pretty good, and I'm a fan of all the late Beatles stuff, but I don't 'get' all the love it gets. The latter has some of my all time favourite Beatles songs but also plenty I don't care for.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
King Crimson's Red. Big ol' pile of Do Not Want as far as I'm concerned.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
If we're talking DT then ToT, it does literally nothing for me.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Anything by The Beatles or Black Sabbath. Most Metallica. Slayer's Reign in Blood if that counts I guess. Literally anything and everything by Chris Cornell, I guess Temple of the Dog's album was highly important but it's noise to me. Anything by Floyd except Dark Side and The Wall but especially WYWH and Animals.

I really thought that one day we could be friends, but now I see that it's just not going to work out.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
Anything by Queen and Oasis. Queen because of their overplayed sing-along songs, Oasis because that annoying singer who gives me the creeps.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
why do people freak out over this garbage sounding album, maybe the composition is good I dunno it's impossible to tell half the time though

Anything by Radiohead, they're at best "decent" but definitely not one of the best bands of all time

I'm sure I have more tbh I'm too lazy to browse my RYM page though

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »
Prepared to be crucified but....anything by Iron Maiden!

I guess I get it if they were your gateway metal band and what introduced you to metal. My gateway metal band was Metallica though and they did everything bigger, better and were 'cooler' as far as I'm concerned.

I compare it to my thoughts, growing up, on sci-fi. I was a massive Star Wars fan (still am). I lived and breathed Star Wars. It was cool as fuck and just epic. Then there was Star Trek...

Star Trek (in my head) was just inferior, kinda lame and leagues behind Star Wars in the 'cool' factor. It was for complete nerds and people who would probably live at home forever, letting their mum buy their clothes and never getting laid. Star Wars on the other hand, I was convinced, was for cool kids who would basically all grow up to be Han Solo!

My view on Iron Maiden is kind of the same. I understand they came before Metallica (and influenced them), just as Star Trek helped pave the way for Star Wars. However, I wasn't around to witness that so I've always seen them as the 'nerdy, never get laid, tucks their t-shirt into their jeans' band which attracts those sort of fans. It doesn't help that I can't really stand Bruce Dickenson's voice. Anyway, I digress, I basically don't 'get' Maiden.

Ready for the backlash

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
I am sure these are "You had to be there at the time" material but:

I don't believe this is a real thing. I don't like The Beatles, but I own 3 Pink Floyd albums, and I wasn't alive when they came out. You could say the same thing about any huge pop star in 50 years and it would be just as meaningless.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 04:07:19 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what the "why" part of this question means, and "classic" is obviously open to a lot of interpretation, but....

Pretty much anything by Pink Floyd.  Other than finding "we don't need no education" amusing as a middle school student, I have never found anything interesting in anything I've heard by the band.  Even Comfortably Numb, whose chorus is somewhat melodic, is just deathly boring.

Also the Grateful Dead.  I'm not sure there is any single album that is considered to be a "classic," but I don't see the appeal in this band.

Back in Black by AC/DC.  I love the title track; "Hells Bells" is pretty cool; and "You Shook Me All Night Long" is a fun party song (albeit now so overplayed that I really don't need to hear it again), but I think the rest of the album is no better than mediocre and cannot comprehend how it is one of the best selling albums in history.

I'm sure something else will come to me as soon as I click "post."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
OK Computer - Radiohead.

It's not a you needed to be there thing. I WISH I wasn't there.

Why? Can't stand the vocals, orchestration, sound, phoney spleen. I was young, and very educated people I respected vouched for that album's incredible smarts and innovation, but I couldn't - and still can't - help but feeling like the kid who saw the emperor naked.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
Back in Black by AC/DC.  I love the title track; "Hells Bells" is pretty cool; and "You Shook Me All Night Long" is a fun party song (albeit now so overplayed that I really don't need to hear it again), but I think the rest of the album is no better than mediocre and cannot comprehend how it is one of the best selling albums in history.

Wow, I'm surprised to read this. I've heard Shoot To Thrill on the radio a couple of times in the past few weeks and it stopped me dead in my tracks. This was a real coming of musical age album for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:12 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised to read this. I've heard Shoot To Thrill on the radio a couple of times in the past few weeks and it stopped me dead in my tracks. This was a real coming of musical age album for me.

So you've heard of AC/DC?

Hm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
Tim, no joke.  That song gets my blood rising.  I love it.  Hell, every song was on rock radio.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »

Have a Drink On Me absolutely rocks too!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »

My view on Iron Maiden is kind of the same. I understand they came before Metallica (and influenced them), just as Star Trek helped pave the way for Star Wars. However, I wasn't around to witness that so I've always seen them as the 'nerdy, never get laid, tucks their t-shirt into their jeans' band which attracts those sort of fans. It doesn't help that I can't really stand Bruce Dickenson's voice. Anyway, I digress, I basically don't 'get' Maiden.

Ready for the backlash
Interesting!  I am the opposite, I knew Metallica way before Maiden. Once I finally gave Maiden a chance, I realized they are more melodic and I like their compositions more than Metallica. I also like Bruce Dickinsons vocals alot more. It's just a matter of personal taste, but Maidens music just grabs me more. That's saying alot because I really like Metallica!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 07:12:29 PM »

So you've heard of AC/DC?

Hm.

:rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 07:21:01 PM »

I guess I get it if they were your gateway metal band and what introduced you to metal. My gateway metal band was Metallica though and they did everything bigger, better and were 'cooler' as far as I'm concerned.

I compare it to my thoughts, growing up, on sci-fi. I was a massive Star Wars fan (still am). I lived and breathed Star Wars. It was cool as fuck and just epic. Then there was Star Trek...

Star Trek (in my head) was just inferior, kinda lame and leagues behind Star Wars in the 'cool' factor. It was for complete nerds and people who would probably live at home forever, letting their mum buy their clothes and never getting laid. Star Wars on the other hand, I was convinced, was for cool kids who would basically all grow up to be Han Solo!

Ready for the backlash

Luke, I just read this post like 3 times. Not sure what to even say...but let me start..

If you don't get Iron Maiden, that's cool. Especially if you don't like Bruce's voice.

I am not a Sci Fi guy. I cannot watch Star Trek, though I do appreciate it. I think the original Star Wars movie was one of the best ever made. But that's all I can watch, really. Like Metallica did with Death Magnetic trying to recapture the 80's vibe, didn't a new Star Wars movie come out recently that totally ripped the original?

Anyway..I respect your opinion.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
Well, for me, it's pretty much the majority of the heralded classic rock albums that I do not care for.  I don't care much for anything from Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath in particular.  Don't have anything against them since they've influence the bands that influenced my favorite bands, but I honestly don't have much interest or personal reason to check their stuff out.

Heck, for me, I don't care much about the majority of the albums from classic rock bands except for Rush and Iron Maiden (and that's mainly because they've created great stuff in the 2000s that allows me to be interested enough to go further back into their catalog.  I can't say that for other bands that's as old as them.)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
A lot of Floyd haters around here. You heretics!  ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »
The Black Album

I grew to "like" it later.  But seriously.  The first Metallica album with several skip tracks.  There are some really cool songs there, but it's over polished and when you consider lame tracks like Don't Tread on Me, the entire album is just OK. 

Empire

Pretty much the same thing.  Remove the trash that is Jet City Woman and Another Rainy Night and the album becomes instantly better.  Not as great as their truly classic stuff, but still really good.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 12:17:47 AM »

I've had this discussion with my brother and one of our friends several times. The White Album would have been incredible if they had cut a lot of the crap out of it, and had let George Harrison get at least another song on the record. Around that time. George had written a song called Badge that ended up being given to Cream due to his friendship with Eric Clapton. George was having trouble getting songs on Beatles' albums because John and Paul kept dominating the track lists, so instead of getting a stellar song like Badge to accompany another stellar song like As My Guitar Gently Weeps from George, we got utter garbage like Why Don't We Do It In the Road from Paul.

As far as stuff that I just don't get, I'll have to go with King Crimson and ELP. I love the classic era of Genesis, and some of the classic era of Yes, so you'd think that KC and ELP would be in my wheelhouse, but they just irritate the shit out of me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 05:41:20 AM »
Anything by Floyd except Dark Side and The Wall but especially WYWH and Animals.

I really thought that one day we could be friends, but now I see that it's just not going to work out.

Right?

I'll pop this one back on Katt again .... King Crimson/ITCOTCK.
I'll also agree with OK Computer
And it's a bit obscure (and RJ's gonna hate on me for this), but Tales from Topographic Oceans.
Early/experimental Floyd
Master of Puppets
Is American Idiot considered a 'classic/must-have'?  If so, then that one too.
Any of the big ones from grunge - Nevermind and Ten particularly

I'm sure more will come to mind.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:20:14 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
Sorry fellas. Those Floyd albums are dullsville. Just don't get it. Also, you love me, Chad  :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
Anything by The Beatles or Led Zeppelin. I appreciate these bands are hugely influential on bands that I love but just don’t enjoy listening to them. I’m also a huge guitar fan (although not a musician myself) and I don’t get why Jimmy Page is so revered. Nothing I’ve heard has ever sounded impressive but then, I’ve never delved too deep into their back catalogue.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
Sorry fellas. Those Floyd albums are dullsville. Just don't get it. Also, you love me, Chad  :lol

Glad you weren't around when WYWH topped my Top 50 albums list. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
Every AC/DC album ever recorded. I just don't get it.  ???
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
why do people freak out over this garbage sounding album, maybe the composition is good I dunno it's impossible to tell half the time though

"Must-have" or "huge classic" albums.   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 09:27:46 AM »

Ready for the backlash

I'm with you on this. So many people on this forum love IM, so I've tried to get into them, but I just can't. Just not my thing.

My other (probably unpopular) one - Queensryche - same thing - I've tried and I just can't get into them.