Author Topic: Toby Driver (maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot) new album 'They Are The Shield' 2018  (Read 639 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
We've probably got a motW or Kayo Dot thread somewhere, but I don't know where they are, and this project (I think) is neither anyway. Here's a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YpoYE1VHc

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Toby Driver is one of the most frustrating musicians for me. I love all of the maudlin of the Well albums, but everything he's done with Kayo Dot is pretty much a snoozefest. I wonder how this album will fair.  :corn

Oh and here you go  :biggrin: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=1715.0
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

I'm with puppies.

I have my doubts if he'll ever make something like the maudlin stuff, but I'd love to be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:33:10 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Yeah, I've kinda fallen off on his newer stuff, but I still keep tabs on him. Actually his project Vaura I really enjoyed, really cool like new-wave black-metal type stuff. 

I also got in on the vinyl repress of Choirs of the Eye this year and it's everything I could have possibly hoped :heart :heart :heart :heart

Toby Driver is one of the most frustrating musicians for me. I love all of the maudlin of the Well albums, but everything he's done with Kayo Dot is pretty much a snoozefest. I wonder how this album will fair.  :corn

Oh and here you go  :biggrin: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=1715.0

Eh, my OP was from 2009, probably about time for a new album  :rollin
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Kayo Dot has been pretty hit or miss for me, but this record is sounding a lot like Part The Second to me so far, which is an album I absolutely love.

Offline ChuckSteak

I love everything he has ever done, whether it is Kayo Dot, motW, Tartar Lamb, etc. He's the best composer/musician of our generation.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
So I went to a Toby Driver show on Thursday. It was in a tiny little place, there were about thirty people there, and it was fantastic. It was just Toby by himself playing guitar and singing, with some backing tracks that were mostly pretty sparse. He played 6 or 7 songs (can't remember exactly), two from the new album and the rest from his previous solo album from last year. I also got to talk to him for a bit afterwards which was awesome, and I bought a handful of albums, including at long last a copy of Part the Second.

Long story short, it was great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I listened to this new album once and it didn't do much to me. Do I need to revisit, or was it really just not very good?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I'd say give it another listen. Overall it's one of my favorite albums from him, at the moment at least.