Author Topic: NCAA Football 2018 Discussion  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Snow Dog

Re: NCAA Football 2018 Discussion
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »

Myself, I'm really looking forward to seeing which Utah team shows up. Talent wise (especially on offence--too many injuries), the Utes don't match up well against U-Dub but have shown some heart this year. Of course, I want them to win but really, I'll be happy if they play hard throughout the game--win or lose.

A friend asked me on Monday if I think Utah is going to win the Pac12 championship.  The bolded part is exactly how I phrased my answer and that the result depended on it.  If it's the Utah team that went into the half down 0-20 against BYU, they're going to get killed.  If it's the Utah team that came back from that deficit to score 35 points the second half and held BYU to only 7 more, it should at least be competitive.

Bottom line is that they can NOT get buried early like they did last week or they will not be able to recover from it.

GO UTES!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:28 PM »
Not sure where I lie on that game...leaning towards the Utes though. Really hoping Cal can take down Stanfurd tomorrow, nobody thought we'd be in a position to finish the season 8-4 man.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
Utes got fucking hosed on that last non-call.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »
TV, are you still hanging around this thread? How are you feeling, confidence wise, about your team for the Championship game tonight?

Another UW alum here ('99), though didn't play as he did. Posting after the game was over - forgot all about it honestly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
Not sure the Pac 12 in general even deserved a champion, no one really stood out, that's for sure. Still a bit miffed the game ended on a bullshit moment though.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »
I love defensive play, but man...that game was a bit anemic for the offenses! If it weren't for a fluke bounce to UW defense, the game would have ended 3 - 3! I was really concerned about the young guys at key positions for the Ute's offence and it turned out to be a valid concern. They simply couldn't make plays consistently against the Dawgs.

Anyway, the low points, poor turnout, and no dominating team from the PAC-12 made this a poor showcase for the conference. Future teams from the PAC-12 are going to need be really something special to get into the Playoffs.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
Couldn't help but get caught up in the SEC title game.  Quite the Hollywood script writing the past thirteen months in regards to the roles (and role reversals) of the two Alabama QBs.  And it's gotta be tough for the Georgia fans.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
Well it's settled, Bama vs Oklahoma and Clemson vs ND

It was the right call, though I'm still bummed UCF wasn't even in the discussion. Hoping they take down whoever they're matched against to further build a case for a non big-5 conference team being in the playoffs. Or just expand the fucking thing to eight teams.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
Until they do an eight team playoff, no one will be satisfied.

Division 1-AA had it right with sixteen teams (now expanded), but for some reason ESPN doesn't care about it.  Gosh, let's televise meaningless pro and college basketball instead.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
I think they got it right with the 4, but you are right, no one will be happy until 8 with conference champs.  These conference champsionship games besides the SEC and Big12 were all uninteresting and fairly meaningless.   

PSU plays Kentucky in the Citrus, must say I am not terribly interested in that one.  Getting to 10 wins would be great though and this is a better opportunity for that than playing in a NY6 game.   Now that I look actually, other than the playoff games, there's not a lot of interesting match ups.  I'd love to see UCF beat up LSU though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
and Urban Meyer is stepping away from college ball again.  This is good for PSU, but I do not wish badly on his health which seems to be serious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
I think the committee got it right with Oklahoma. 

Also, I think they have a better chance against Alabama than most people are giving them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »

And then the #9 team will be up in arms saying they are left out and there needs to be more teams included.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »

And then the #9 team will be up in arms saying they are left out and there needs to be more teams included.

Sure, but 8 would mean they can give automatic berths to conference champions.  I think that would make people happy since there's a clearly defined goal to make it to the playoffs.  the 4th best at large team will definitely bitch, but at least you can point to the conference champion as a good reason why that team doesn't deserve to be there.  You're right, people will still want more and maybe 16 is truly the best option (not sure I agree, just saying that maybe there's good reason for 16 over 8), but that's not a realistic jump from here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
I think if you do 8, you give 5 automatic bids to the Power 5 champs, and you can make a rule that says something like "the top ranked Group of 5 team gets an automatic bid if they are ranked in the top 8" or something.  That way you get 2 or 3 at-large bids for the committee to award, and then they seed the teams and set the matchups. 

That would have given us Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Washington as automatics, and presumably Notre Dame, Georgia, and Central Florida as your playoff teams this season.  If we seed them by the way that the committee ranked them, we would have the following bracket.

1)Alabama
8)Washington
                    \
                      Winners
                    /            \
4)Oklahoma                 \
5)Georgia                      \
                                       Championship
3)Notre Dame                 /
6)Ohio State                 /
                   \             /
                     Winners
                   /
2)Clemson
7)Central Florida

Play the first round games at the higher seeded teams home field.  Once it's down to 4, play it out like the current format, with the various major bowl games rotating locations.  That's gold.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
That's gold.

:tup :tup

Yea, really doesn't get much better than that.  If you look at past years too, you'll find using this format would have come down to a really solid 8 team playoff that is hard to argue against.  Sure Michigan or Florida might be bitching about being "the last one out" in this scenario, but does anyone actually think those two are deserving over Notre Dame/UCF/Georgia?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »
I doubt it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2018, 10:56:47 PM »
I don't like it, makes way too much sense.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
"We can't let UCF in the playoff. They might get blown out!"

You mean like Notre Dame is right now.

System is ridiculous. Bring on the 8 team playoff outlined above and many other times here throughout the years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
A great college football game is a sight to behold, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Two final four games today. First one is a blowout, the second one is 28-0 already early in the 2nd. This is why I rarely watch college ball.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
A great college football game is a sight to behold, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Two final four games today. First one is a blowout, the second one is 28-0 already early in the 2nd. This is why I rarely watch college ball.

Eh seems like OU is trying to make a game of it. As for ND, maybe they should reconsider their independent status so they can actually compete on level with the rest of the upper teir teams.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2019, 05:57:33 AM »
Always good seeing Bama lose....but how long until people are just as sick of Clemson?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
Kind of surprising to see such a beat down, but yea, after that, I am done with the Bama vs. Clemson rivalry.  It hadn't tired me until now as those games had all been exciting and they were the best and msot deserving teams of recent, but it would be nice to get some fresh match ups for next year although I'd say early predictions would pick these teams again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »
Always good seeing Bama lose....but how long until people are just as sick of Clemson?
Seeing as how Dabo doesn't come across as an asshole like Saban does, probably a little while yet.

Of course, the simple remedy for people sick of either team is for some other school to level up.  I've been sick of Alabama for years, and now Clemson has leveled up.  Those two schools are different than everyone else right now, so until someone else levels up, they will continue to be the prohibitive favorites for years to come.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
Yea, took Clemson a bit under Dabo to start recruiting well enough and now that its caught on and they recruit as well as anyone else, they are going to be very tough to beat. 

I was really hoping PSU could push the next level, the recruiting has been up there with the best lately as well, but it's becoming clear our coach doesn't have the goods on game day.  The better plays will win 9 or 10 games a year but you need a high caliber game day coach to take it to the next level and win championships.  That's something Saban, Sweeny, Meyer all have.  Not sure who else can compete but one of them is gone so I'm not sure if Ohio State will be able to compete at that level with their new coach. 

I can see Georgia and LSU putting up a fight, but that's more SEC.  I don't know about any other teams in the Big 10/Pac 12/ACC that can compete with those. Obviously you got Oklahoma and maybe a resurging Texas but I'm not sure those can compete with Clemson or Bama either.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
I think Oklahoma and Texas are close.

I would love to see a West Coast team step up.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »
I think Oklahoma and Texas are close.

I would love to see a West Coast team step up.

Yeah, unfortunately USC is the only one with the recruiting base, but they can't seem to get their shit together and are probably a few years from it. Everyone else is a close but not close enough I'd say.