Author Topic: What Astonishing songs are among the best DT songs?  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: What Astonishing songs are among the best DT songs?
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 04:07:32 AM »
In all seriousness: Lord Nafaryus and Three Days stand out for me, because you'll hear some elements in these two that (to my knowledge) didn't appear in any DT piece before (the tango section in Lord Nafaryus and the blast beats and ragtime section where these happen simultaneously in Three Days). Are they among the best DT pieces? I don't know. I rarely think about that too much. (although Dramatic Turn is my favourite DT album to date, let's see if DT14 will top that. And I only listen to Mangini era albums btw.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:28:28 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 05:40:37 AM »
Among the best DT songs? Not a single one for me.

this is correct.

This is what you think, doesn't mean it is correct. But, yeah, I don't think I'll put some TA songs in my top list even though I like the album a lot. There are standouts for me still : Lord Nafaryus, The X Aspect (vastly underrated IMO) and A New Beginning.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:10 AM »
All 34 of them can certainly be placed among the top 145 DT songs.

Shame this is yet another opportunity to give Astonishing haters a voice.

Yeah...it's a real shame that folks are able to express divergent opinions in a respectful manner.   :facepalm:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
The Astonishing is a great album,, mm'K !
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »
All 34 of them can certainly be placed among the top 145 DT songs.

Shame this is yet another opportunity to give Astonishing haters a voice.
So you are saying that if people "hate" the album they should shut up and shouldn't express that? Only people who love the album can participate, yay! Way to go!

Do you think it would be all right if the majority of people hated the album and they said "shame this is yet another opportunity to give Astonishing lovers a voice"? What a group mentality. Let people like or dislike whatever they want. It is their taste.

And if you didn't read, there are actually a couple of people here who like the album but still don't consider the songs in it among the best DT has ever done. Oh my god! We should sue them for that!!

:lol  Good one.  BTW, people don't actually hate TA.  They just like it infinitely less than everything else.  :rollin

There are actually 9 songs on TA that I would consider halfway decent, but not amongst their best.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
In my case, the Astonishing songs join WDADU and FII songs as ones that can't crack my top 20.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:29 PM »
Chosen
The Path That Divides
The Gift of Music
Losing Faythe
Ravenskill
Road to Revolution

These songs really take me into the concept a lot. Ravenskill has that town in the forest feel in the intro, The Path That Divides has that tension. Chosen and Losing Faythe both have that great ballad vibe akin to Goodnight Kiss, Hollow Years and has that epic ending guitar feel they do.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:57:10 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline metrojam

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
There's been some very tricky questions in here over the years but this must be the easiest one ever for me to answer and my answer is:- none!

.........AND before the "bullies" in here start abusing me for daring to suggest that I don't rate any of the songs as amongst DT's best, then remember, this is a forum for peoples opinions and not everyone's will be the same but everyone is entitled to have them!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »
We don't allow bullies here, so I wouldn't worry.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
There's been some very tricky questions in here over the years but this must be the easiest one ever for me to answer and my answer is:- none!

.........AND before the "bullies" in here start abusing me for daring to suggest that I don't rate any of the songs as amongst DT's best, then remember, this is a forum for peoples opinions and not everyone's will be the same but everyone is entitled to have them!

Considering several others have provided that same answer already, I think you're ok.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 12:53:41 PM »
Now they're just .. there .. without adding anything to the overall experience (with the exception of the very first track). In fact, to me they kind of halt the actual music on the album, which I think is a shame.

You've raised a pretty interesting point.

What if they're intentionally there for that exact purpose? To give us a small taste of that same frustrating desire for music - inevitably and mercilessly interrupted by the machines - experienced by the characters we're following. Musical theatre works that way, after all.

When I see them that way (and as blatant change of scenery/mood tunes), the NOMACS tracks add a lot to my overall experience.

I have been reading The Astonishing novel and listening to the Album together. Not all at once as I don't have That much time.... The novel brings out some great stuff that one questions while listening to the music. One thing being the NOMAC noise.  The novel is a great enhancement to the music!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »
I haven't done a DT top 50 in forever, but I feel that 3-5 songs from TA would make it now.  None would crack the top 25, but these three would definitely be in the 26-50 range:

Ravenskill
Three Days
A New Beginning

And then songs like Chosen, A Better Life, The Answer and Our New World would all have a puncher's chance.

Offline DTA

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
It's tough to include the songs because the longer songs from DT's past just crush any of the their shorter songs with the exception of a very small few, but Our New World, A New Beginning, and Three Days seem to be the ones I find the most enduring. Though A Better Life, When Your Time Has Come, and Heaven's Cove are way above average IMO.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
This may be hard to answer, but what is it that everyone seems to love about Three Days? Like, I think it’s good, but I don’t think it’s as good as a lot of the songs on the album.  I know people like the crazy ending but...
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
This may be hard to answer, but what is it that everyone seems to love about Three Days? Like, I think it’s good, but I don’t think it’s as good as a lot of the songs on the album.  I know people like the crazy ending but...

Its a different style that DT hasn't really done before. That good swing metal style. Plus because its also one of the only harder songs on the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline DTA

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »

I think it's interesting and has different things going on that I haven't heard from DT before. After 13 albums, it's refreshing to hear this band still be able to add new elements in. The heavy riff/vocal melody of the chorus is really memorable, the theatrical 2nd verse is a nice variation, and yes, the ending is wacky and unique for them. Basically, it packs a lot of good shit into a short song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »

I think it's interesting and has different things going on that I haven't heard from DT before. After 13 albums, it's refreshing to hear this band still be able to add new elements in. The heavy riff/vocal melody of the chorus is really memorable, the theatrical 2nd verse is a nice variation, and yes, the ending is wacky and unique for them. Basically, it packs a lot of good shit into a short song.

Brilliantly said!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »

Brilliantly said!

Yes, thank you. I appreciate your thoughts. I think I’ll spend more time with this song.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »
None for me. I liked the album, enjoyed seeing it performed live, but I have not had the urge to revisit any of it since the tour. It is kind of in its own universe for me and I have a hard time putting any one song in a list of DT’s best work.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
just posting to say i updated my previous post.