Author Topic: Rest in Peace, Aretha Franklin  (Read 811 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Rest in Peace, Aretha Franklin
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
https://www.apnews.com/616951e51eaa4aa09f894b6ea9d9df44/AP-Newsbreak:-'Queen-of-Soul'-Aretha-Franklin-dies-at-76

The soul of soul music has gone.

Apart from Frankie, there's no one more deserving to be remembered as The Voice, and I honestly struggle to find someone else incarnating the prototype of modern hard working Singer, not just entertainer.

The usual "she meant everything for minorities during revolutionary times" speech is painfully reductive. The lady scored ten hits inside the top 10 between '68 and '69. She was and trascended the "revolution", making it accessible and unifying.

She lost her battle with a terrible disease, but she won the war singing her song in happiness and dignity to the very end. The concert I had the privilege to attend in 2012 at the Nokia is undoubtedly one of the most magical and joyful experiences in my musical life.

Maybe soul music doesn't have a great following in these halls, but you guys are music lovers and Aretha made lovable music.

R-e-s-p-e-c-t.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:21:32 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Rest in Peace, Aretha Franklin
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »
she's now up in heaven singing with George Michael.

Rest in Peace Aretha.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
Back in the 90s, the Detroit Free Press wrote a few articles about her....regarding her stiffing the florists that would deliver a dozen roses to her daily, how she badly treated staff, limo drivers, those who had to deal with her at her dressing room before/after concerts, the lawsuits from failing to pay off debts.

Totally respected her talent (no pun intended), her breaking ground, her lofty and legendary status....but she was not the nicest of individuals.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 04:04:20 PM »
Maybe this guy works at Fox News?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49145.msg2464243#msg2464243

Couldn't name 3 songs of hers but that's my ignorance. I appreciate all she meant to millions of fans over the years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
FOX News fucks up  :\

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-remembers-aretha-franklin-with-photo-of-patti-labelle_us_5b75bbcfe4b0182d49b1e165?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Aretha and Patti LaBelle are notably adversarial.

God dammit Fox News, we all don't look alike!!!

Anyway, i'm very sad about her death, but man, what a legacy she will leave. Mom played her stuff for me all the time growing up. Think might be my favorite tune from her, and that sequence from Blues Brothers is up there as one of my favorite musical scenes. I also really love I Say A Little Prayer...there's a nice little odd time change up in that chorus that's awesome.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
I could probably count on one hand the people who would leave a legacy equal to hers. RIP Aretha...

Here's how I'll always remember her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXU7268Z50

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »
Her soul touched my soul.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC