Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91452 times)

Offline romdrums

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:36:04 AM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. A look at the Atlantic
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Wow, the Stars gave Seguin a shit ton of money.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 10:30:55 PM »
If Melnyk thought attendance was low before, he hasn’t seen the worst of it yet after today’s boneheaded move. How stupid is this guy? Erik basically said today that he didn’t want to leave and that he didn’t request a trade.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 04:48:17 AM »
If Melnyk thought attendance was low before, he hasn’t seen the worst of it yet after today’s boneheaded move. How stupid is this guy? Erik basically said today that he didn’t want to leave and that he didn’t request a trade.

That doesn't mean that it wasn't the 'right' move for the business.  Was it the right move, probably not.  But one needs to extract whatever value for an asset that is going to vanish.  Look, if you knew your car was going to explode next year, and you hardly drive it to begin with, would you try to sell it for something - to someone that could use it for that time a lot better than you could/would?  It sucks for the fans, but I can see how Genie and Dorian see this as short-term pain for a longer term gain.  If they start winning in a couple years as picks develop, all will be forgotten or forgiven.  Hell, if they do a decent job this year, maybe they can even sign Karlsson back as an RFA?  If he loves the city as much as he says, maybe they'll have a chance at him next summer.

That's a helluva 1-2 offensive combo that the Sharks have now.  Both Burns and Karlsson are going to have to adapt to sharing the #1 role.  Wonder how that's gonna work out.  It's like if Coffey and Bourque were playing together.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
Definitely don't need Karlsson in the Pacific. That's going to be a nightmare for the Oil and their porous defense. I understand why the Sens wouldn't want to trade him to another Eastern Conference team, but I honestly thought he would end up in Tampa or Boston. What's kinda funny is that Dorian didn't want to give up last year's 1st round pick in the Duchene deal since Ottawa was projecting to be a bottom team, so he gave them the 2019 1st rounder. This season they'll  be lucky to finish within 20pts of the 30th place team, so that pick is going to be stellar for Colorado.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »
The Sharks just elevated themselves to favorites in the West for sure.  They should be able to have Brent Burns or Karlsson on the ice for almost an entire game. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »
Looks like Zetterberg and the Red Wings have made it official:
https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/9/14/17860228/its-official-henrik-zetterbergs-career-is-over

Great player and one of my favorite Red Wings.  He wasn't as flashy as Datsyuk, but he was a hell of a player, and it was fun to watch him drive opposing players like Crosby and Toews absolutely batty in the postseason.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
Looks like Zetterberg and the Red Wings have made it official:
https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/9/14/17860228/its-official-henrik-zetterbergs-career-is-over

Great player and one of my favorite Red Wings.  He wasn't as flashy as Datsyuk, but he was a hell of a player, and it was fun to watch him drive opposing players like Crosby and Toews absolutely batty in the postseason.

Definitely one of the top players of the last decade or so, and an all around classy fellow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
Indeed.  Last bastion of the Red Wings 20+ year success is gone.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »

Yeah, with him in the lineup you had a better hope of a graceful rebuild, now they are really going to have an uphill climb, especially this season.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline romdrums

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »

Yeah, with him in the lineup you had a better hope of a graceful rebuild, now they are really going to have an uphill climb, especially this season.

I'm all in on the Lose for Hughes campaign.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »

Well, at least they're in the same division as the Sens and Habs, so it's not that much of an incline.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »

The only result of that will be having the worst record and watching as the like 20th place Oilers win the draft and take him anyway!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »

The only result of that will be having the worst record and watching as the like 20th place Oilers win the draft and take him anyway!

I appreciate the optimism,  but the Oilers would need a whole lot to go right for them to finish 20th.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »

I appreciate the optimism,  but the Oilers would need a whole lot to go right for them to finish 20th.

I really feel like if you have a $10M+ player on your roster, that you should be exempt from having a shot at the #1 pick in the next draft (not exempt from the first round draft altogether, just exempt from the lottery for #1).  I don't even know how Oilers keep scooping those #1 pick in the draft for four years out of six (and three in a row) before they got McDavid.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:52:56 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

I really feel like if you have a $10M+ player on your roster, that you should be exempt from having a shot at the #1 pick in the next draft (not exempt from the first round draft altogether, just exempt from the lottery for #1).  I don't even know how Oilers keep scooping those #1 pick in the draft for four years out of six (and three in a row).
[/quote]

Well, they haven't had a top pick since McDavid, and that was purely luck. The others were a direct result of being one of the worst teams in the league for a decade, both in on ice performance and front office competency.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »
Front office has to take a lot of the blame.  The league is very much a draft/development one.  Even without top-3 picks, good teams succeed.  Leafs won a massive bonus in Matthews, but even without him they'd be in pretty good shape - Marner/Nylander, Tavares and Marleau as nice FA signings; Anderson as a Top-10 horse of a goalie, and they'd likely be able to build out a stronger blueline if not for having to save money for Matthews' signing next year.

It's actually pretty impressive that the Oil can be so consistently futile with the number of high picks they've had.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Front office has to take a lot of the blame.  The league is very much a draft/development one.  Even without top-3 picks, good teams succeed.  Leafs won a massive bonus in Matthews, but even without him they'd be in pretty good shape - Marner/Nylander, Tavares and Marleau as nice FA signings; Anderson as a Top-10 horse of a goalie, and they'd likely be able to build out a stronger blueline if not for having to save money for Matthews' signing next year.

It's actually pretty impressive that the Oil can be so consistently futile with the number of high picks they've had.
It's actually pretty easy when the owner himself steps in to override decisions made by a dozen minds in the scouting department *cough* Nail Yakupov *cough*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
Holy shit did Seguin hit the jackpot. The Dallas Stars are playing Russian roulette with that contract.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »
That was the worst #1 overall pick since .... ever?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »

Gotta be bottom 2 or 3 of all time.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2018, 01:55:03 PM »

Patrik Stefan has dibs on that one, I think.

Actually, save the Sedins, Henrik Zetterberg, and Ryan Miller, that whole 1999 draft can be labeled a bust.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
Or DiPietro. I forgot he went 1st overall in 2000

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »
Or DiPietro. I forgot he went 1st overall in 2000

Yeah, he's up there for sure.  Hard to put Yakupov in the 'all-time' category already, since it's only been 6 years.  That 2012 draft looks pretty weak overall.

As for the best, clearly Lemieux has that locked up, and Sid has to be considered the second best.  After that, who's the next best #1 overall pick.  Ovi?  Lindross?  Lafleur?  I'd go with Lindross personally.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/hockey-world-roasts-flyers-creepy-new-mascot/ar-AAAABqx?li=BBnbfcL

Some great fan comments. :lol

My wife has been giving me shit about this all evening.  I mean, I love it when she's smiling and laughing, but damn...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:44 AM »
That is fucked up!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
Get home from work today and turn on the TV to distract my 2yr old while i make dinner. SportCentre is on,  and they're showing the new Flyers mascot. My son starts screaming "NOOOO", and runs up to slap the TV. I wish i could've caught it on tape.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »
I feel like that Gritty mascot is the embodiment of what nightmares are made of in real life.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. 2 days to go!
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2018, 05:04:03 AM »
Despite my best intentions of trying to stimulate discussion on all the divisions before the season started, September was a little hectic (personally and professionally).

But, hockey season is upon us.  Protip to anyone playing the Leafs - don't take a penalty.  This could be the most potent PP the NHL has seen in years - Babs has put all three centers on the #1 unit... Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Kadri.  They could put my Aunt Peg out there as the fourth and still have one of the best PP's in the league.

Curious to see if they keep Nylander, or sign/trade him for a stud defencemen.  Wondering who needs a high-talent / young winger, and has an abundance of riches at the blueline.  Nashville comes to mind as fitting the latter category.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
Wow, Bruins off to a good start. :neverusethis:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
Just about to hit play on the Leafs game.  I DVR virtually everything, and start an hour or so late so I can power thru commercials and BS intermission crap.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
Hot damn it's a good thing the Leafs were playing the Canadiens!  Any decent team, and they would not have walked out of the arena with the W.  Freddie bailed out a very sloppy performance all around.

NHL League-wide Protip #2.  Don't let tied games with the Leafs get to OT; you'd better finish them in regular time.

Man they can throw some weapons out at ya.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2018, 06:09:44 AM »
Not making this proclamation based on last night, as I've felt this way all summer, but I think the Bruins are going to take a major step back this year. Everything went well for them last year. Their veterans...Backes, Bergeron, Krehji, Chara all had excellent years and were all healthy. Bergeron is already hurt, and Krejhi, it's time to move on. I think they will miss Riley Nash.

I think McAvoy is going to have some major sophomore issues.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2018, 06:34:56 AM »
Not making this proclamation based on last night, as I've felt this way all summer, but I think the Bruins are going to take a major step back this year. Everything went well for them last year. Their veterans...Backes, Bergeron, Krehji, Chara all had excellent years and were all healthy. Bergeron is already hurt, and Krejhi, it's time to move on. I think they will miss Riley Nash.

I think McAvoy is going to have some major sophomore issues.

That 20+game winning streak they went on was pretty impressive for sure, and I often felt they were punching out of their weight class.  They've still got a great top line, but Chara ain't getting any younger, and Rask is still one of the most inconsistent netminders out there.  One game against the defending champs doesn't tell the story of the season ... time will tell.