Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 77738 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
By the way here's the final list:

TAC: Lor – In Forgotten Sleep
Jingle.boy: Evership – Evership
Evermind: Mystery – The World Is a Game
LordCost: Rishloo – Living as Ghosts With Buildings as Teeth
Lethean: Katatonia – Dead End Kings
Parama: Odd Palace – Things To Place On The Moon
Train of Naught: The World Is Quiet Here – Prologue
romdrums: sleepmakeswaves – Made of Breath Only
Nekov: The Bright Light Social Hour – Space is Still the Place
Luoto: Ghost Brigade – IV - One With the Storm
Sacul: The Flaming Lips – Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Stadler: Cheap Trick – Dream Police
Indiscipline: Gentle Giant – Acquiring The Taste
Elite: White Walls – Escape Artist
kingshmegland: Barock Project – Detachment
twosuitsluke: Port Noir – Any Way The Wind Carries
Puppies On Acid: Sieges Even – The Art of Navigating By the Stars
Kattoelox: Toto – IV

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
1 or 6 are the only ones that I feel like could describe mine, but there's also 12 albums unaccounted for at present, so  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
kingshmegland - Barock Project?
Yep, also updated above.

Yay me!  Jingle would never have guessed it without me guessing it first....

:lol

He should have known.  I sent a single song from them to him personally a month ago.

What did you send him?  I thought they were great at Rosfest, and certainly woke me up from the previous band,  but then when I played a few tracks on youtube later I wasn't feeling it.

I didn't know you were at RoSfest!  I was there as well!   I sent him Happy To See You.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I know #1 is not mine because he had already started listening when I sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lethean

Yep, also updated above.

:lol

He should have known.  I sent a single song from them to him personally a month ago.

What did you send him?  I thought they were great at Rosfest, and certainly woke me up from the previous band,  but then when I played a few tracks on youtube later I wasn't feeling it.

I didn't know you were at RoSfest!  I was there as well!   I sent him Happy To See You.

I know you were, that's how I guessed it. :)  I'll give Happy to See You a listen; I thought both singers were very good and their set had a great energy.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I’d like to think #1 is mine.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Except that, for the same reason as Diego, it can't be. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Considering I sent pretty early it could be mine  :corn

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Except that, for the same reason as Diego, it can't be. :P

Crap
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Rishloo is #3, and I think mine could be #4.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
By the way, just to make sure it's clear, the #s are the order I've listened in, not any kind of ranking. I'm pretty sure most of you had gathered that, but thought it best to make sure.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
This is why I randomize my first impressions before posting most of the time

Didn't do it last roulette tho because it was more fun to make people dread results  :corn

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I think any of them except the Queen ones could apply to my album

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
This is why I randomize my first impressions before posting most of the time

Didn't do it last roulette tho because it was more fun to make people dread results  :corn
Yeah I didn't really feel the need to. I'd received 10 submissions out of 18 by the time I started listening, and by maybe my third album I'd received everything. And I listened in random order. Well, random-ish - there was some judgement based on what I felt like checking out, but it wasn't in the order received.

Not sure what I'll do when I get to the normal rounds yet.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LordCost

I'm not that convinced that the Queen ones are related to Rishloo like TAC and Train.
Gentle Giant could be number 2 since it talks about lots of vocal harmonies.
I had some notes on the bands and albums to send to ariich but my old phone is dead, but I remember that Gentle Giant was on the list

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Based on that I'm 100% sure mine is in the set of 6 then  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not that convinced that the Queen ones are related to Rishloo like TAC and Train.
Lorenzo, you sent me Rishloo right? I know I cited Freddie Mercury in my writeup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

Parama, that Odd Palace record is a solid choice.  It sounds to me like what would happen if The Mars Volta had been able to focus.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline LordCost

Lorenzo, you sent me Rishloo right? I know I cited Freddie Mercury in my writeup.
Yes I sent Landmines in your roulette. I remember I got a 9 but not that particular. It's not wrong the comparison to Freddy Mercury now that I think about it, but when I listen to that album I think more to The Mars Volta or contemporary prog bands

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yep, also updated above.

See, your problem is that you're making the assumption that I read your posts :neverusethis:

Well, I don't hear Queen in Evership, but if they are in this batch, it could be #4 because the production is a little thin - even for a (I believe) self-produced album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Round One first impressions, part 1 of 3

#1 Energetic, occasionally quirky and consistently engaging. Second half slightly weaker, but still solid. First album I’ve listened to but I feel pretty confident this is making it to round 2.

#2 Pretty much what I expected, which is no bad thing. Great mood and atmosphere, and lots of lovely vocal harmonies.

#3 Not really what I was expecting, which is no bad thing. Nice vibe. Surprising and enjoyable similarities to Queen at times.

#4 Very nice album, though would maybe benefit from fuller sound/production. Surprising and enjoyable similarities to Queen at times.

#5 Felt very unconvinced by the first song, but the album picked up a fair bit after that. Lots of warmth.

#6 I dig it. This type of music needs solid hooks for me, and I'm not 100% sure from first listen, but there are great moments and more may come out on repeat listens.

Round One first impressions, part 2 of 3

#7 Good variety and some strong melodies, particularly at the start of the album. Can't yet decide how much I like it - will take some more listens I think.

#8 Pretty immediately engaging and powerful, though for some reason I'm not quite sure about its staying power. Will see what I feel after subsequent listens.

#9 I'm a bit torn on this after one listen. It's pleasant and seems to objectively tick a lot of my boxes, but isn't really exciting me very much.

#10 All perfectly nice, but to be honest nothing really stood out until the last song which has some cracking stuff. Not sure what I think about the singer for now.

#11 Hmm, not sure I’m massively feeling this right now. It’s got a nice vibe and a few good tracks especially later on, but overall it’s not really grabbing me so far.

#12 Hmm, not sure I’m massively feeling this right now. There’s some very cool stuff, but a lot of it is a bit out-there for my tastes.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
OHHHHH!!  Mind games.  first batch good, second batch not so much!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Oh dear.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
OHHHHH!!  Mind games.  first batch good, second batch not so much!
Yeah everything has been at least good, but there was definitely a run of a few albums that interested me less. Final batch is a bit of a mix of the two so far.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
#12 Hmm, not sure I’m massively feeling this right now. There’s some very cool stuff, but a lot of it is a bit out-there for my tastes.

That's my luggage, officer sir.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That's my luggage, officer sir.

Ima gonna agree with you here.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
9 and 11 sound slightly like my reaction to most of sleepmakeswaves' music, so maybe one of those
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
All of those except for #8 and #10 could be my album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (first impressions all up)
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2018, 05:41:17 AM »
Let's finish these off.

Round One first impressions, part 1 of 3

#1 Energetic, occasionally quirky and consistently engaging. Second half slightly weaker, but still solid. First album I’ve listened to but I feel pretty confident this is making it to round 2.

#2 Pretty much what I expected, which is no bad thing. Great mood and atmosphere, and lots of lovely vocal harmonies.

#3 Not really what I was expecting, which is no bad thing. Nice vibe. Surprising and enjoyable similarities to Queen at times.

#4 Very nice album, though would maybe benefit from fuller sound/production. Surprising and enjoyable similarities to Queen at times.

#5 Felt very unconvinced by the first song, but the album picked up a fair bit after that. Lots of warmth.

#6 I dig it. This type of music needs solid hooks for me, and I'm not 100% sure from first listen, but there are great moments and more may come out on repeat listens.

Round One first impressions, part 2 of 3

#7 Good variety and some strong melodies, particularly at the start of the album. Can't yet decide how much I like it - will take some more listens I think.

#8 Pretty immediately engaging and powerful, though for some reason I'm not quite sure about its staying power. Will see what I feel after subsequent listens.

#9 I'm a bit torn on this after one listen. It's pleasant and seems to objectively tick a lot of my boxes, but isn't really exciting me very much.

#10 All perfectly nice, but to be honest nothing really stood out until the last song which has some cracking stuff. Not sure what I think about the singer for now.

#11 Hmm, not sure I’m massively feeling this right now. It’s got a nice vibe and a few good tracks especially later on, but overall it’s not really grabbing me so far.

Round One first impressions, part 3 of 3

#13 Nice chill vibe. Felt slightly background music at times and some moments were a little repetitive, but I liked it overall.

#14 Enjoyable enough, but not something I can see myself being drawn to much. Feels like everything I’m going to get out of it, I got from the first listen. A couple of very cool songs though.

#15 Sounds like a band that has potential but hasn’t found their feet yet. Some really good moments but others that fall pretty flat for me.

#16 I’m really digging this after one listen. A lot. Great atmosphere and energy, and nice punchy production. Definitely making it to round 2.

#17 Hmm, the thing with this genre is that the music often sounds good but has little staying power unless there’s something a bit different or unique. And I’m not sure this is doing that very much, but we’ll see.

#18 Seems to me this album should feel messy and disjointed, but for some reason it works really well and is highly enjoyable and pretty rocking for a lot of it.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »
I still feel like mine is #4. I don't know though...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2018, 05:50:21 AM »
I might stake claim on 15.

Alternate possibilities- 2 or 4 or 9 or 14.

Which means I'm likely none of those.  :D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2018, 06:10:02 AM »
I might stake claim on 15.

Alternate possibilities- 2 or 4 or 9 or 14.

Which means I'm likely none of those.  :D
You don't seem to be able to decide whether you're feeling optimistic or not.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2018, 06:12:07 AM »
I'm confused like a teenage girl.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2018, 06:22:23 AM »
I'm pessimistic like a teenage girl.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:57 AM »
More teenage girls in this thread than I was expecting, apparently.

It's also just occurred to me that quite a few submissions are debuts or other early albums by pretty new bands. That's cool, and is exactly the sort of thing that roulettes are great for in terms of discovering new music. Then again, I'm also being introduced to classic bands from the 70s and 80s that I've never fully checked out before. At both ends of the spectrum, some are proving more my thing than others.

I be am boner inducing.