Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 78292 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
A couple of people have commented in here, and in PMs when submitting albums, about my favourite albums on RYM, so I just thought I'd provide a note on how to sensibly interpret my RYM ratings if people are using that as a guide.

Essentially everything 4 stars and above I consider to be excellent. Within that, the stuff that I rate even higher (4.5-5 stars) is pretty random and really just comes down to how much it really grabs me, but that almost always comes after many listens (or if I'm already very familiar with an artist). With completely new stuff, I rarely commit to a 4.5 star rating (and pretty much never a 5 star rating) after only a few listens. So if you're trying to judge what I might like a lot, taking in everything 4 stars and up is a good starting point, and higher ratings can of course be considered but may not be as reliable (to the extent that anything is very reliable, which is not much).

Stuff I rate 3.5 stars I still consider very good, but there's normally something about it that I find slightly lacking for whatever reason. Even more so for 3 stars which is basically "good enough but not very exciting". 2.5 stars and lower is basically the range where I'd probably never bother to listen to it again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

I have no idea which one is mine. :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I have no idea which one is mine. :)
All of them. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R2 results 2/11)
« Reply #493 on: August 19, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
I've figured out the best way to get my head around these albums and immerse myself in them is focus on just two or three at a time (after the first impressions that is). So results will be frequent but small. Here's a start!

Round Two results, 2/11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talk Talk – The Colour Of Spring (1986), submitted by Sacul
First impression: Another band I'm surprised I haven't checked out before. Love the vocal style. Loads to like about this.

Final opinion: Like Toto in round 1, this is a classic band from the 80s that I should clearly have checked out sooner, and who don’t sound quite like I expected them to. I’ve listened to the remaster on Spotify, and the album has such a great sound and vibe, helped immensely by the really warm vocal style that adds a lot of charm. Favourites songs are definitely the upbeat ones with a bit of soul to them - Life’s What You Make It, Living In Another World and Give It Up. The album ends on a slightly odd note, the last two tracks are definitely a bit more moody and I’m not sure I hugely dig the change of tone (or maybe I just find the songs less interesting, I dunno). But overall this is a great album and the sound on the remaster is for the most part gorgeous.
Score: 8.0

Omnium Gatherum – New World Shadows (2011), submitted by Luoto
First impression: Been craving more music in this style, which I don't have too much of. Not sure it’s quite up to my favourites in the genre but it still sounds pretty great so far.

Final opinion: I’ve been a big Amorphis fan for years, but I didn’t properly know anything else on the atmospheric side of melodic death metal until Ruslan sent me Insomnium in my last roulette. They’ve quickly become a favourite, and I occasionally get cravings for more music in that broad style, but never really looked into any other bands. So thank you for introducing me to another! I’m not entirely sold on the vocals, he has quite a weird style that works at times but feels a bit awkward at others. So that holds it back a little. Plus the production isn’t the strongest (possibly affecting the vocal sound), although I understand this was their breakthrough album so I appreciate they may have developed in that regard since. But a lot of the music is gloriously melodic and atmospheric, as works so well in the genre, and there are some superb moments. I’m glad there are also some clean vocal sections, as I really do think they add so much to this style of music. So a very strong album and definitely enough to make me want to check out more of their output.
Score: 8.0

Ranking so far

1   Luoto     = 8.5 + 8.0 = 16.5
2   Sacul*    = 7.5 + 8.0 = 15.5
-----------------------------------------
?   Parama  = 8.5 + ? = ?
?   Katt       = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Lethean  = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   LordCost = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Train       = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Jingle*    = 7.5 + ? = ?
?   Puppies* = 7.5 + ? = ?
?   Luke*     = 7.5 + ? = ?
?   TAC*      = 7.5 + ? = ?

*on probation until round five

I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #494 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
Hell yeah :2metal:

Chameleon Day is kind of a dud to me, but Time It's Time is a wonderful emotional closer, hope it will grow on you one day  ;D . And the remaster is fantastic indeed.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #495 on: August 19, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
Yeah Time It's Time is definitely a nice song in itself, just something about it jarrs a little tonally with most of the album. For sure that might change in future though. Agree Chameleon Day is a bit nothingy. But yeah really good album overall, thanks for making sure I checked them out!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #496 on: August 19, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »
Plus the production isn’t the strongest (possibly affecting the vocal sound), although I understand this was their breakthrough album so I appreciate they may have developed in that regard since.

It's "mixtered" by Dan Swanö (who lends some of his vocals on a couple songs too) so it's definitely not down to lack of experience, probably more of a matter of taste. They'll have a new album out in a couple of weeks so good times :corn
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #497 on: August 19, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, I like Swanö's music and voice more than his producing, which isn't bad at all but I never love (it works best in Nightingale, IMO). So yeah maybe something about artistic choices. But still, I dig the album a lot. :tup

I also note you've stuck with the atmospheric Scandinavian metal so far. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #498 on: August 19, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »
mastered is different from the production or mixing. if the audio quality of the base recording blows, you can't fix that. if the mix level sucks, mastering won't fix that. i've seen at least a few other examples of swano mastering stuff & it still sounds like crap but it isn't really his fault

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #499 on: August 20, 2018, 03:17:09 AM »
Indeed. From Luoto's use of the word "mixtered" I assume Swanö did both.

Some more results in a few hours I think, but I will just say that this is shaping up to be a very strong round. Contender for the most consistently strong roulette round I've ever done, especially considering the number of submissions.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #500 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:26 AM »
Some more results in a few hours I think

I've finished all my tasks for the day, I'm just sat in my hammock getting fat on  :corn now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #501 on: August 20, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »
result me into dust  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #502 on: August 20, 2018, 09:02:19 AM »
Be the :corn to my :corn :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #503 on: August 20, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »
Some more results in a few hours I think, but I will just say that this is shaping up to be a very strong round. Contender for the most consistently strong roulette round I've ever done, especially considering the number of submissions.

I'm hopeful that those of us on probation haven't violated any of the terms.  Actually, just me.  I don't care about the others.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #504 on: August 20, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm quite pleased with this probation approach, as it means I'm not required to eliminate someone each round, but there's also a bit of suspense still because I MIGHT IF YOU DISPLEASE ME.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R2 results 3-5/11)
« Reply #505 on: August 20, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
Round Two results, 5/11
Results 1-2 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2465172#msg2465172

The Ongoing Concept – Handmade (2015), submitted by Luke
First impression: Not what I was expecting at all, but this was very enjoyable in a lot of ways. Another one where there’s lots to take in.

Final opinion: What an absolute blast. To be honest there’s very little metalcore I particularly like, but there’s just such a sense of fun, energy and groove in this album and enough melody to make it hugely enjoyable. It’s also super short which helps stop it from getting too much. And of course the fact that they made all the instruments they used on the album is very impressive (right down to chopping wood for the drums, apparently). For my first listen I knew nothing about them except your explanation of the handmade instruments, and seeing the album cover. From those, I was expecting some sort of indie folk or something like that. I couldn’t really have been more wrong, really (with the exception of the first half of Melody, which is definitely closer to what I was anticipating).
Score: 8.5

Voyager – Ghost Mile (2017), submitted by Lethean
First impression: Sounded quite exciting but has the potential to feel like it jumps around too much, like Lor did last round. Time will tell.

Final opinion: This is really nice, tight, punchy, djenty prog metal, and it gets better with each listen. Unusual vocal style - quite poppy and indie at times and others sounding more like Warrell Dane from Nevermore - but even though it's often pretty far removed stylistically from the music it works surprisingly well. On further listens it doesn't jump around as much as it felt it did on first listen. There are some absolutely cracking tunes, and moments of really cool and original instrumentation. My favourite parts tend to be when they do something unusual. What a Wonderful Day is a particular highlight, fusing elements of metal, musical theatre and more into something quite dark and quirky. Excellent album.
Score: 8.5

Structural Disorder – ... and the Cage Crumbles in the Final Scene (2018), submitted by TAC
First impression: I can see why you like this so much, but I wasn't entirely convinced by my first listen.

Final opinion: Holy Haken! I mean, the overall sound ends up pretty distinct thanks largely to a very different type of singer (and of course far more use of growls), but damn if some of the riffs and instrumentals aren't very clearly Haken inspired. Which is cool - as you know, I absolutely love Haken - and so in some ways this album speaks to me rather well. But at the same time, it often feels like an inferior version. There's a certain charm that Haken has, particularly in the vocal melodies and overall sound design, but this album lacks for the most part. Still, there's some very tasty stuff, and I think the album is at its best when doing something a bit different, like the unusual use of accordion which adds a quirky bit of character. So I do wonder if they'd benefit from distinguishing themselves a bit more from their influences.
Score: 7.5

Ranking so far

1= Luoto     = 8.5 + 8.0 = 16.5
1= Lethean = 8.0 + 8.5 = 16.5
3   Luke*     = 7.5 + 8.5 = 16.0
4   Sacul*    = 7.5 + 8.0 = 15.5
5   TAC*      = 7.5 + 7.5 = 15.0
-----------------------------------------
?   Parama   = 8.5 + ? = ?
?   Katt        = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   LordCost = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Train       = 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Jingle*    = 7.5 + ? = ?
?   Puppies* = 7.5 + ? = ?

*on probation until round five

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #506 on: August 20, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
Hell yeah! Basically everything you like about the album is what I like about it. I discovered them in an issue of Metal Hammer back in 2015. I was intrigued by the idea of a band making all their instruments and was pleasantly surprised by how the album actually sounded. It has such an energy to it and it's definitely 'fun'. It's easily my favourite of their 3 albums and I think I'll just have to go listen to it now  :lol

I think Amends scored me my highest score in Parama's roulette as well, he loved it!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #507 on: August 20, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
Awesome.  :metal 

Ghost Mile is fantastic and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.  One of my favorite albums from last year and it really does get better with each listen.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #508 on: August 20, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
I thought Ghost Mile was rather boring and never listened to it again after the first time :|
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lethean

« Reply #509 on: August 20, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
I thought Ghost Mile was rather boring and never listened to it again after the first time :|

Maybe now's the time to spin it again? :)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #510 on: August 20, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
I was very shocked at how much I disliked Ghost Mile, because Misery Is Only Company was soo good. I was hoping the album would live up to it but I just ended up disliking almost all of the vocals on the record.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #511 on: August 20, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
I was very shocked at how much I disliked Ghost Mile, because Misery Is Only Company was soo good. I was hoping the album would live up to it but I just ended up disliking almost all of the vocals on the record.

That seems weird.  He doesn't really sound different from that song to the others, at least I don't think.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #512 on: August 20, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
Ghost Mile I've tried to listen through several times yet I don't remember a single second off it, ohwell

I don't hear any Haken at all in structural disorder tbh but fair

:corn for my results plz

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #513 on: August 20, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
7.5, likely a probation violation.

Oh well, sent two of my favorite albums from each of the last couple of years. I don’t not know ariich or anything at all about his taste in music. But I’m pretty sure it’s not aligned with mine so I picked a couple of quirky albums that I love.

That was fun!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #514 on: August 20, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »

I knoe man! I loved Misery Is Only Company and was really looking forward to the album based on that track alone, which seemed lik a step in a good direction (even though I love Univers as well). I sent that track in roulettes as well and probably introduced some people to the band with that song, but man the final album was disappointing. I seriously don’t get why people rave about it, but I suppose I could give it another try!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #515 on: August 20, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
I don't hear any Haken at all in structural disorder
Seriously? I mean there are a whole bunch of Haken-esque moments, especially in The Fool Who Would Be King, but some stand out more than others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsVOdgVUpDA&feature=youtu.be&t=295

7.5, likely a probation violation.
For this round at least, 7.5 does not violate probation. You've sent two fun albums that although I haven't loved, I've enjoyed a lot, and I want to see what else you have for me!

I knoe man! I loved Misery Is Only Company and was really looking forward to the album based on that track alone, which seemed lik a step in a good direction (even though I love Univers as well). I sent that track in roulettes as well and probably introduced some people to the band with that song, but man the final album was disappointing. I seriously don’t get why people rave about it, but I suppose I could give it another try!
Misery Is Only Company isn't even the best song, but tastes obviously. I have no prior knowledge of Voyager so was listening to the album in isolation, and it took a few listens but I think it's awesome.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:04:11 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #516 on: August 20, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »
Elite and Train are doing so well in my roulette but I bet I wouldn't do so well in theirs...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #517 on: August 20, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
You should've played in mine  :corn

Offline Lethean

« Reply #518 on: August 20, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »
Maybe next time; not sure how much I'd have that you'd like though; or that you haven't heard.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #519 on: August 20, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
Elite and Train are doing so well in my roulette but I bet I wouldn't do so well in theirs...

Mine is 'ongoing' at this moment (that is; we're in the final round), so you can have a look at what has been sent there. I don't think I'll do another one for some time though after this one has finished, but you're free to give it a shot if I ever sign up to do one again.
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #520 on: August 20, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »
Got me nervous, I hope KoL went over well. Based on what you sent me in my roulette I figured it's a safer choice than in most roulettes, but who knows. I love the vibe of that album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #521 on: August 20, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
Hey... great to see Ghost Mile was well received. Voyager rules. I still can't decide if I like it more than V or not. Meaning of I is the best imo, with those two right behind it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #522 on: August 21, 2018, 07:17:13 AM »
Well, guess what. I listened to Ghost Mile this morning and it was .. actually quite enjoyable. I must say I was doing other stuff at the same time, so I didn’t have my *full* attention on the music, but what I heard was better than I remembered it being.
Squ

Offline Lethean

« Reply #523 on: August 21, 2018, 08:09:42 AM »
 :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #524 on: August 21, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »
Voyager still sucks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion