Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 77727 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (first results, 3 of 18)
« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
may Africa's blessing carry me to the next round
Here's your result... but is it enough to get through..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toto - IV (1982), submitted by Katt
First impression: Not really what I was expecting, which is no bad thing. Nice vibe. Surprising and enjoyable similarities to Queen at times.

Final opinion: The only song I knew by Toto was Africa, which wasn’t enough for me to have any fixed expectation, but I’d somewhat assumed they’d be in a pretty standard accessible classic rock vein. And of course some of the album is like that, but there’s a terrific variety and it’s definitely both jazzier and poppier than I’d expected. Some moments sound like some of Queen’s music, while others sound more like soul artists such as Stevie Wonder. And despite King’s claim that I have some sort of fundamental dislike for 80s production, the album sounds great and the production fits the style perfectly. Some of the tracks aren’t especially interesting, but overall it’s a thoroughly enjoyable listen. My 5-month-old also seemed mesmerised by it earlier today so it apparently gets his seal of approval.
Score: 8.0

Evership – Evership (2016), submitted by Jingle
First impression: Very nice album, though would maybe benefit from fuller sound/production. Surprising and enjoyable similarities to Queen at times.

Final opinion: I stand by my Queen comparison, there were a number of moments that really reminded me of them, such as the whole opening of A Slow Descent Into Reality. Before I started listening, from just seeing the song lengths and album cover, I did wonder if they’d be a bit mid-tier prog. But I always avoid assumptions or pre-judgements, and I was pleased to enjoy this quite a bit. There are some prog cliches for sure, and in general it doesn’t really do anything that bands weren’t doing in the 70s, but what it does it does rather well. Some very nice symphonic and quirky elements and some great tunes. I do think the production isn’t the strongest, but again maybe it’s intentionally a bit 70s prog to fit with the style.
Score: 7.5

Gentle Giant – Acquiring The Taste (1971), submitted by Indiscipline
First impression: Hmm, not sure I’m massively feeling this right now. There’s some very cool stuff, but a lot of it is a bit out-there for my tastes.

Final opinion: Yeah this hasn’t improved too much on further listens. I mean, I can completely appreciate how proggy and original this was for its time, much like King Crimson. But whereas Crimson’s best work holds the experimental stuff together with some gorgeous atmosphere and absolutely cracking tunes, this is mostly the quirky stuff with nothing else to ground it. I’ve heard Free Hand a few times before and I definitely preferred that. Which isn’t to say that this is bad at all, there are some very cool moments - Wreck particularly stands out - but there’s just not enough that interests me to make me want to listen more.
Score: 6.5

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (first impressions all up)
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
I'll probably get the first couple of results up this evening. And in fact I'm just going to start posting those results that I've decided a rating on, without even knowing at this stage which ones are going through (well, except a couple).
I think that's more fun from our perspective too, as most of the mid (and probably even mid-high) scoring people won't be sure whether they've qualified until more results are posted, and vice versa for the ones whose album score hasn't been revealed.

I should really check out a Toto album sometime, is this the best one to start with Kat? Also I feel kind of the same about the Gentle Giant song I got in my last roulette (Proclamation), very experimental stuff, even moreso for its time, but apart from the occasional groovy synth and quirkiness there wasn't much I liked. In my very first roulette I got a song off Octopus (I think it was River?) and I found it much better, though honestly I don't remember any of it so maybe I hate it now.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
Train, try Hydra by Toto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #283 on: August 12, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
Glad you liked Wreck. Who can resist a prog rock sea shanty?

Judgement's very fine by me, as the album is truly an acquired taste and - if that brand of quirkiness isn't really your thing - its lack of substance (and of structure at times) can lead to a lack of satisfaction, even to frustration in the worst case.

Submission was in the hit or miss spirit and I believe it won't get me through, but I'm happy I'm beginning to understand this roulette business and hopeful the album hasn't bored you anyway. I'd hate for it to have made the crazy amount of music you've put yourself through even more ponderous.

Toto rules.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »

Cool beans

Judgement's very fine by me, as the album is truly an acquired taste and - if that brand of quirkiness isn't really your thing - its lack of substance (and of structure at times) can lead to a lack of satisfaction, even to frustration in the worst case.

Submission was in the hit or miss spirit and I believe it won't get me through, but I'm happy I'm beginning to understand this roulette business and hopeful the album hasn't bored you anyway. I'd hate for it to have made the crazy amount of music you've put yourself through even more ponderous.

Toto rules.

Can we put this in the roulette tracker thread as a quote on how to take a maybe-not-ideal roulette score like a fucking man? Great post.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »
It really is a great song. There are moments in other songs that are really cool too, but that one really stands out.

Absolutely, I definitely wouldn't say it bored me, and I know what you mean about frustration but that doesn't really apply here either. As described in my RYM, I consider 3 stars (6-6.5/10) to still be a good album. In general if I rate something around that mark, it normally means that there's a decent chunk of it that I enjoy, but not enough, or not consistently enough, for me to really want to listen again. To be honest, my tastes are pretty eclectic and to be honest inconsistent so it was always worth a shot. I appreciate the risk-taking, which others have done and I hope continue to do.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
Wicked! I'm glad you enjoyed it, ariich. It's definitely different than what people seem to expect from the band because they can (and do) play so many different styles throughout their career, and hell just on that one album you heard a lot of variety. Since that's my all time favorite album I'm pleased with the 8.0  :hat

Train, I second Hydra, but nothing comes close to IV in my honest opinion. The production alone makes it stand out from quite literally everything else in their catalog (until maybe Tambu in 1995), but it's in my opinion the most genuine, organic Toto album of their early career. All depends on what sound you think you're looking for. Hard rock? Kingdom of Desire. Want stuff drenched in 80s production? Fahrenheit and The Seventh One. Sick, smooth bass parts? Mindfields. But I strongly suggest IV to start considering it's bookended with Rosanna and Africa, two of their biggest hits. But each album is so different, and they have so many different members that make their sound different, it's a crapshoot.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the results. Evership rocks, I loved it when jingle sent it to me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
Totally fai assessment, and I'd be shocked if 7.5 was in the top 8. Glad it was enjoyable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »

Train, don't.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2018, 10:28:15 PM »

Toto rules.

I will likely hold a The TAC Roulette V.3 later this fall. If you plan on sending Gentle Giant or Toto, DON'T!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »
I'm going to re-tag a Toto song and trick TAC into loving it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:06 PM »
The funny thing is that I have literally heard Africa like 4 days in a row, be it in various places, a store, mall, etc...

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #292 on: August 13, 2018, 03:20:27 AM »
I will likely hold a The TAC Roulette V.3 later this fall. If you plan on sending Gentle Giant or Toto, DON'T!

Gotcha. Actually I'm torn between XVII century madrigals and '70 Afrobeat. You'll love 'em.

@Train: thanks, man!

@ariich: glad to hear that!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2018, 06:31:04 AM »

Train, don't.

Train, do.
im gonna do the thing

Or or or, I will just host a Toto only roulette in a couple of months, wouldn't wanna make things too complicated right?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2018, 06:33:44 AM »
 :lol

That would be tough to score.   Toto just covered Weezer's, Hash Pipe and released a single.  Really cool to see bands interact like both have.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2018, 06:35:53 AM »
Or or or, I will just host a Toto only roulette in a couple of months, wouldn't wanna make things too complicated right?

Calling dibs on Better World

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2018, 06:38:35 AM »

Calling dibs on Better World

We will have David Paich off for that song.  How can sing like his low baritone.  It's on like Spanish Eyes!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: August 13, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
I call Spanish Steps

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #299 on: August 13, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
brb just renaming this the official Toto thread

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:14 AM »
I call Spanish Steps

Or call it the right tittle like you did. :lol

brb just renaming this the official Toto thread

As you should.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2018, 06:43:33 AM »
Spanish Sea!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2018, 06:45:55 AM »
I call Spanish Steps

Or call it the right tittle like you did. :lol

:lol

ariich has the right idea. Why don't we just move his roulette to another thread?  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
By the way, my next couple of results updates are going to focus on those who were in my last roulette.

Performances are... mixed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »
My excuse is that I sent my album in a hurry.

It's a great album though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2018, 06:56:44 AM »
By the way, my next couple of results updates are going to focus on those who were in my last roulette.

Performances are... mixed.

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline LordCost

« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
So the Rishloo snippet was not one of the two about Queen. I bet on #6 and #9 now

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (more results, 6 of 18)
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Round One results, 6 of 18
First three results here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2463026#msg2463026

Odd Palace - Things To Place On The Moon (2018), submitted by Parama
First impression: Energetic, occasionally quirky and consistently engaging. Second half slightly weaker, but still solid. First album I’ve listened to but I feel pretty confident this is making it to round 2.

Final opinion: You were correct that this was yours, and you were right to identify this as something that I’d enjoy, I guess from the experience of us both being in each other’s roulettes previously. I dig it a lot. Thrice meets Dear Hunter with a bit of Closure in Moscow thrown in. Vocally he reminds me at different times of the singers from Fair to Midland, Manchester Orchestra and occasionally even ORBS. I like that there are plenty of quirky moments in songs like Chemical Solution and the title track that make the album that bit more dynamic and surprising but still consistent enough in style and mood that it all hangs together very well.
Score: 8.5

Mystery – The World Is a Game (2012), submitted by Evermind
First impression: All perfectly nice, but to be honest nothing really stood out until the last song which has some cracking stuff. Not sure what I think about the singer for now.

Final opinion: I just can't get over how much this sounds like Rush a lot of the time. But mid-tier Rush, for my tastes. There's nothing bad about any of it, but there's very little that particularly interests me either, and that hasn't changed with subsequent listens. Except the big epic closer, which is really good and has some absolutely brilliant moments and brings the score up a bit. Everything about it is just punchier and more immersive than the rest of the album. It’s a song I can definitely see myself going back to on occasion and although I'm not usually a song listener, it's long enough to sort of work as an EP. The rest of the album, though, I'm not sure I'll want to bother with again.
Score: 7.0

White Walls – Escape Artist (2013), submitted by Elite
First impression: Sounds like a band that has potential but hasn’t found their feet yet. Some really good moments but others that fall pretty flat for me.

Final opinion: Further listens haven't really changed my opinion here. There are lots of good ideas and so much potential, and instrumentally there are some great moments, but a lot of the vocal melodies just don't do anything for me. Not that I dislike his voice in itself, it's either the melodies themselves or his fit to them, or maybe it's the production. Loose Ends is a great example of this - really good music and one groovy vocal line in the middle, but the rest of it just doesn't work for me. Oddly they feel more convincing to me in the heavy shouty parts. I enjoyed it enough that I'll check out future albums to see how they develop, but I can't see this one getting many more listens from me.
Score: 7.0

Ranking so far

1. Parama: Odd Palace - Things To Place On The Moon - 8.5
2. Katt: Toto - IV - 8.0
3. Jingle: Evership – Evership - 7.5
4=. Evermind: Mystery – The World Is a Game - 7.0
4=. Elite: White Walls – Escape Artist - 7.0
6. Indiscipline: Gentle Giant – Acquiring The Taste - 6.5

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
Dayum... You really not such a fan of the prog/neo-rock, huh?  That Mystery album is on par with Milliontown, imo.  I always equated Mystery closer to Yes - considering vocalist David Benoit sang and toured for Yes back in '11/'12.

TASTES!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
Dayum... You really not such a fan of the prog/neo-rock, huh?  That Mystery album is on par with Milliontown, imo.  I always equated Mystery closer to Yes - considering vocalist David Benoit sang and toured for Yes back in '11/'12.

TASTES!

I didn't know that... wow. Yeah, that Mystery album is awesome indeed. Gonna be a tight squeeze to the next round...  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »
Well, hey, good luck everyone who makes it. This Mystery album rocked my world for at least a month after I discovered it. Such a good one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2018, 01:16:36 PM »

TASTES!

I didn't know that... wow. Yeah, that Mystery album is awesome indeed. Gonna be a tight squeeze to the next round...  :corn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkQUgUpaRmQ

Should have sent that ^ album instead, what a shame.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »
Dayum... You really not such a fan of the prog/neo-rock, huh?
I've nothing against it at all! Of albums defined as neo-prog on RYM, all of Frost's albums are 4-5 stars for me, and Anubis's A Tower of Silence  is also 4 stars. As for prog rock more generally, there's absolutely tons, though that's obviously a pretty broad church. But as with any genre, some stuff works for me, some stuff doesn't. Frost really stands out within neo-prog because of the ludicrously strong melodies, the poppy groove and the exciting electronic infusions that make them pretty unique.

I always equated Mystery closer to Yes - considering vocalist David Benoit sang and toured for Yes back in '11/'12.
Yeah I can sort of see that too, but this album definitely sounded more Rush than Yes to me.

TASTES!
Well quite.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2018, 01:28:40 PM »
This is starting to be painful and a bit nerve-wrecking
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
I'd feign surprise but just based on what you sent me in your roulette I knew this one was ariich-bait  :metal