Author Topic: 425’s Second Roulette v. Keep your hands upon the wheel  (Read 95159 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. If we live for a hundred years
« Reply #1925 on: December 05, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
425, I hope everything's alright on your end.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: December 07, 2018, 05:57:59 AM »
Waiting for results like...

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1927 on: December 07, 2018, 06:17:24 AM »
Oh boy, this thread still exists! I listened to the EP I sent last week, I was still quite impressed by what I made :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:20 AM »
Oh boy, this thread still exists! I listened to the EP I sent last week, I was still quite impressed by what I made :biggrin:

Yeah, I have the playlist and still listen to it every week, at least it was worth for that

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1929 on: December 07, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
i got that phase out of the way when i made my EP three months ago :P

i honestly don't really care about results anymore tho so w/e

Offline 425

Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. Keep your hands upon the wheel
« Reply #1930 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Round 8 Results:

Here are the EP round results. I really am sorry that it took this long. My life became very busy in a number of ways that I did not anticipate during the time of this round, and it wound up being the case that every few days I would budget time to power through some write-ups, and then some new thing would show up on my radar requiring immediate attention that would swallow that time up.

And then, though I understand why people might feel this way and don't really blame them, logging onto this thread and seeing people saying they don't care anymore really sapped my motivation to finish it. Finally, I decided to stop looking at the thread and just get it done, for myself if for no one else.

And hey, my winner never once said they didn't care about the results.

Here are the writeups and results for the EP round. You may remember that I graded each of these EPs out of 20 holistically. This means I did not do an average score for each song plus a flow ranking or anything. No. I simply graded each one in terms of how well I liked it. I did include a rough score for each song in the writeups, but I don't want to give the impression that those scores are as carefully considered as my normal scores (they are not) or that they are variables in some mathematical formula that determines each EP score somehow (they are not). They're just in case you are interested.

Here are the EP results.

Nekov: The John Mitchell EP
1. Arena - Spectre at the Feast
2. Lonely Robot - God vs. Man
3. Kino - Grey Shapes on Concrete Fields
4. Lonely Robot - Construct/Obstruct
5. Kino - I Won’t Break So Easily Anymore
6. Arena - The Shattered Room

Snippet: Every single song on here is enjoyable, but there really isn't one on here that I've fallen for and could see myself listening to a lot after the roulette is over. The key will be to see if some of the songs actually do click strongly enough to make my impression more positive than something like "a solid set of songs." Maybe the opener and/or the closer?

This EP definitely has a distinct identity, beyond the mere fact of the same guitarist playing on all of the songs (the emphasis is not really on guitar theatrics, anyway, though there are undoubtedly some good guitar passages). All the songs are stylistically in a territory that I would describe as rock on the border between pop rock and neoprog. The music is mostly light and there is a lot of emphasis on hooks and anthemic choruses, particularly on the Lonely Robot and Kino songs. The neoprog tendencies are most strongly felt on Arena tracks, which does make them good bookends for the EP.

I have to say, though I do enjoy a lot of pop and some pop rock, that this style of pop rock isn’t likely to blow me away. I’ll enjoy it pretty well if it is well-written, it’s just not a style I usually find myself loving. It can sometimes even feel a little like watered-down prog to me, which is especially true when some of the musicians are known for prog or when some of the songs are prog pieces. Here, I do get some of that vibe from the middle tracks here, given the comparison the Arena tracks provide. I get a similar vibe from Flying Colors.

This isn’t to say these songs are not good! Quite the contrary. As the snippet says, I really do find every song on here enjoyable. Each one of them has some interesting melodies, particularly in the vocal department, and I definitely enjoy myself when I listen to them. There is some inventiveness even within the fairly conventional song structures, and there is some stuff that is still pleasantly surprising me many listens in. When I’m in the mood of this style of music, which is not too frequent but definitely still happens, I would happily reach for any of them.

As for the proggier Arena bookends, they are indeed my two favorites on the EP. Neither one of them is completely blowing me away, but I’m happy with the structuring of the two songs and some of the nice buildups they employ. The Shattered Room in particular brings something of an epic style to the table, and forms a nice finale for the EP.

The whole EP is definitely something I like listening to and would even come back to in the future. It just doesn’t reach up into the territory of music I like on the highest levels. But I’m happy I got to experience it.

Score: 15.5 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. Arena - The Shattered Room (8)
2. Arena - Spectre at the Feast (8)
3. Lonely Robot - Construct/Obstruct (7.5)
4. Kino - Grey Shapes on Concrete Fields (7.5)
5. Lonely Robot - God vs. Man (7.5)
6. Kino - I Won’t Break So Easily Anymore (7.5)

Lethean: Second Chances and New Beginnings
1. Cynthesis - The Man Without Skin
2. Voyager - To the Riverside
3. Voyager - Ghost Mile
4. Katatonia - My Twin
5. Tesseract - Survival
6. Andromeda - Ghosts on Retinas
7. Vanden Plas - Scarlet Flower Fields
8. Leprous - Forced Entry

Snippet: There is one track that could be make-or-break for this EP, which is overall in the quite-good-but-not-great territory, with a lot songs I enjoy but a few that tend a bit toward feeling generic. My impression of that track right now is cautiously positive, but it is still very much up in the air.

I would describe this EP as really consistent in both style and quality. Everything here is more-or-less straightfoward prog metal, and all the songs range from pretty solid to quite good.

This does not mean there is no sense of variety here. There really is, which is a very good thing. Despite the songs coming from the same basic style, each one has its own identity, which prevents the EP from sounding too same-y. The flow from each song into the next is also strong. This all adds up to a pretty enjoyable listening experience.

However, the obstacle between this and the top scores is that there really are no songs that stand out as great. Sure, there are also none that stand out as weak, which is an important positive and a big part of why this will score well. But, naturally, the highest scores go to EPs that do have songs that I fall in love with. And there is no such track here.

The key track I alluded to in the snippet is, of course, the final track, Forced Entry. It is the longest one on here and it is from a band that has never really been sold on me.

Forced Entry is, without a doubt, the best Leprous song I have ever heard. The band really just feels like they’re doing a lot more on this song than on others I’ve heard from them, particularly in terms of variety and dynamics. They don’t sit in mid-tempo heavy riffing mode for the whole song, instead bringing other sections, particularly quieter ones, to the table, which makes the heavy riffs more effective when they do appear.

This song has convinced me to give Leprous a little more of a chance, though it is a song I think is quite good and short of being one that I am in love with. In fact, it turns out that my four favorite songs on the EP are all the “Second Chances,” so it may well be that you have achieved your goal of getting me to give some of these artists another shot. As for that other goal of winning the roulette, that one is more in doubt.

Score: 16 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. Leprous - Forced Entry (8.5)
2. Vanden Plas - Scarlet Flower Fields (8)
3. Katatonia - My Twin (8)
4. Tesseract - Survival (8)
5. Voyager - To the Riverside (7.5)
6. Cynthesis - The Man Without Skin (7.5)
7. Voyager - Ghost Mile (7.5)
8. Andromeda - Ghosts on Retinas (7)

Evermind: The Eye of the Beholder
1. Daughter - Landfill
2. Daughter - Shallows
3. Katatonia - Decima
4. Lee Abraham - Harbour Lights
5. Frequency Drift - Run
6. Big Big Train - Curator of Butterflies

Snippet: This EP starts off really strong for the first half, then seems to peter off a bit. Those first few songs are incredibly strong, but then I feel myself losing interest somewhat as we advance beyond that midway point. The key is going to be whether it can come to carry its strength along through the entire EP.

As things stand so far, you are one of the top three scorers and only a half point out of first place. And your effort to get across the finish line with this EP starts out very strong. Both songs by Daughter are wonderful pieces. Somber in the best way, filled with melody and great singing, a lush instrumental sound, all sorts of things that I like.

The Katatonia song is a good follow-up, but it is a noticeable step down from the excellent Daughter songs. And that actually sums up how I feel about songs 3-5 on the EP. They’re good songs, just not as good as the opening pair—and each one rates lower than the preceding one. Harbour Lights has a pair of fantastic guitar solos that boost up the rest of the song which is not a home run for me. And the Frequency Drift song has a good vocal performance on the choruses, but the verses and some of the instrumentation fall a bit short for me.

Ultimately, the success of this EP hangs on the success or failure of the Big Big Train song, in more ways than one. Because while I find the concept interesting and the songs good, the mood is rather gloomier than I would like to follow for a long period of time. So the finale needs not only to break the pattern of declines, but also give some brightness to the close of the EP.

So, does it succeed? I kind of don’t know? Sort of? I do like it, and I do think it is a better song than the preceding two—there’s actually a lot of good stuff going on here musically. But I don’t find it to be the hopeful ending I would have wanted (indeed, the concept Evermind wrote does not have a hopeful ending). There’s something about it that actually bothers me, though I find I have a hard time describing it. There’s something I find unsatisfying about this ending. And that kind of ends up being generalized to a feel about the EP as a whole.

What is my final analysis? … hard to say. This one has been the toughest EP to get a handle on. I find it exceedingly well done, but kind of not for me. There’s something that strikes me wrong about much of its emotional tone, especially the end, in a way that I find difficult to describe. So the emotional element is going to wind up ranking what I feel is probably a very, very good EP lower than it probably would score for someone who resonates better with it.

Score: 16.5 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. Daughter - Landfill (9)
2. Daughter - Shallows (9)
3. Katatonia - Decima (8)
4. Big Big Train - Curator of Butterflies (7.5)
5. Lee Abraham - Harbour Lights (7.5)
6. Frequency Drift - Run (7)

Elite: Always the Summers are Slipping Away: Finding Love Through Darkness and Despair
1. Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)
2. Radiohead - Go to Sleep
3. Have a Nice Life - Bloodhail
4. Karnivool - Umbra
5. Voyager - Sober
6. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
7. Radiohead - True Love Waits

Snippet: There are a lot of different styles strung together on this EP, which on the whole tends toward an emotional feel that I am not usually crazy about. Some of the songs I find really good, and others not that appealing (it remains to be seen whether I'm mostly apathetic to these songs or whether aspects of them actively annoy me). Fortunately, one of the artists here that I do really like has multiple songs.

One thing is for certain: This EP sure starts off really strong. This Arcade Fire song is fantastic. It’s got a bit of a raucous edge while maintaining a lot of emotion and melody. It’s definitely among my favorite songs of the round.

Stepping back for a second, I really do appreciate the thought that went into this concept. I can follow the story that you described in your PM through the music. The progression of each song to the next one definitely feels like the progression through scenes of a story. And even though, as the snippet alludes to and I’ll get to, a couple of the songs don’t really do it for me, I still appreciate their place in the concept.

Continuing on, the Radiohead song is also pretty enjoyable to me. It keeps the raucousness of the Arcade Fire song and adds a surprisingly folky vibe (I guess I’d never paid this artist much notice until now).

It’s here that we kind of hit a bump in the road. Tracks 3 and 4 form the weaker section of the EP. I ultimately don’t view this as songs that annoy me on the whole, and they both even have appealing aspects. But the Have a Nice Life track does have an annoying element in the repeated “arrowheads” refrain at the end.

The Karnivool song is better and does have a solid chorus. It falls below the level of the rest of the EP, but is still an enjoyable song.

The Voyager track was a pleasant surprise. I really overlooked it the first few times and grouped it with the prior two into a trio of bleak songs that I didn’t much care for, but on further listens I’m really hearing a lot of creative depth here. The dynamics just feel like they work effortlessly, but they’re actually bolstered by nice subtle work from the keyboard player and vocalist. This, along with the Arcade Fire songs, is the other highlight of the EP.

The two concluding songs are the repeated artists, and in each case, I find the song to be nearly as strong as the previous one from the same artist, but not quite. Which is still very very strong in the Arcade Fire case. And True Love Waits is very effective as a closer here, though it’s a bit of a sad ending, it feels like.

Speaking briefly of bleakness: It really was something I worried was going to be a big obstacle my first few times through the EP. But this winds up feeling like something that has dark moments but never as a whole feels hopeless. A few of these individual songs might of faced bleakness as a greater obstacle on their own, but in the context of the whole, it works and does not put me off really much, with the small exception of the EP ending on a sad note (and even then: it’s not a huge deal).

On the whole, I have really come to enjoy this EP a lot. The biggest grower of the round. A concept that does a really fantastic job of tying some decently diverse songs together. Several very good songs. Great cohesion and flow. A couple of songs I’m not huge on are the only pieces that pull this whole down. It is still a very good EP with a number of songs that definitely got my attention.

Score: 17 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels) (9)
2. Arcade Fire - Wake Up (9)
3. Voyager - Sober (8.5)
4. Radiohead - Go to Sleep (8.5)
5. Radiohead - True Love Waits (8)
6. Karnivool - Umbra (7)
7. Have a Nice Life - Bloodhail (6.5)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline 425

« Reply #1931 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
Parama: Drowning in Neon Light Pollution
1. M83 - Intro
2. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share
3. SIAMES - The Wolf
4. Purity Ring - Begin Again
5. M83 - Another Wave from You
6. GUNSHIP - Tech Noir
7. SIAMES - The Cave
8. GEorGiA - Move Systems
9. M83 - Where the Boats Go
10. SIAMES - As You Get High
11. GUNSHIP - Dark All Day

Snippet: The other top contender so far for strongest EP. There's one song here that was my immediate favorite from the whole round, and a few others that carry a really strong appeal. A couple of others have some strange elements that I have gone back and forth between liking and not liking, so the question here is where I will end up regarding those.

Parama, you deserve to be proud of this EP. Not only does it contain a lot of songs that are right up my alley, but it really is masterfully sequenced and edited. It really does sound almost like it was meant to be sequenced this way.

As a result of this tight editing, there are actually swings of songs here that I’ve come to love both for the individual songs and for the sequence itself. The best of these is actually the opening run, from Intro through Begin Again. I like all of these songs a lot, and, again, the sequencing makes it feel they are made to go together like this.

By far my favorite is The Mother We Share by CHVCHES. This kind of emotional but optimistic electronic pop is a style I’m a big fan of, and this particular song executes that style to perfection. One of my favorite songs of the round, and, in fact, of the whole roulette.

The second swing, after the M83 transition song, is what I was referring to by “strange elements” in the writeup. These are clearly somewhat more experimental songs and several of them include a greater degree of samples and distortion, and a bleaker sound, which obviously makes them riskier prospects where I am concerned. However, most of these songs wound up growing on me, with one of them (like Tech Noir) to the higher ranks of the EP. The only one that still does not work for me is the one you yourself acknowledged is a bit of a mess: Move Systems. I can see where its appeal lies, but it’s really not for me. This section of the EP does stand as a decline from the first part, but it’s still enjoyable on every song except Move Systems.

The final phase of the EP continues mainly in the vein of the second in terms of my overall view of it. There is still a lot of good material to be found here, but the EP unfortunately does not really reascend to the heights of the first swing. That said, Dark As Day is a very strong closer that brings the EP to a good finale.

Overall, I really do enjoy this EP. The first swing is by far my favorite part, and an EP that remained in that wheelhouse could work its way up into the 19 range. As is, it’s still going to get one of the top scores of the round.

Score: 17.5 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share (9.5)
2. M83 - Intro (8.5)
3. Purity Ring - Begin Again (8.5)
4. GUNSHIP - Tech Noir (8.5)
5. GUNSHIP - Dark As Day (8)
6. SIAMES - The Wolf (8)
7. M83 - Another Wave from You (8)
8. M83 - Where the Boats Go (7)
9. SIAMES - As You Get High (7)
10. SIAMES - The Cave (7)
11. GEorGiA - Move Systems (4)

Indiscipline: Six Degrees of Inner Growth
1. Pietro Mascagni - Intermezzo
2. Billy Joel - Prelude/Angry Young Man
3. Camel - Stationary Traveller
4. Stevie Wonder - They Won’t Go When I Go
5. Jeff Beck - Scatterbrain
6. Yoko Kanno - Blue

Snippet: This EP really has a great flow. Clearly the submitter put a lot of thought into that aspect of it. My general impression has been that this is pleasant music that flows really well, but without any superlative songs. And so the key will be how highly its flow strength will factor in, and to what extent any of the songs can get closer to the superlative level.

This EP is an impressively-edited mix of songs from a variety of genres and styles, and is enjoyable in itself just for the sake of hearing how this sequence actually works, beyond the concept and the fact that several of the songs are quite good.

I’ll speak first about the three more typical vocal songs around which are laid a set of instrumental pieces. Prelude/Angry Young Man isn’t up my alley lyrically, but there is a really charm to it that makes it an enjoyable listen. The Stevie Wonder song, on the other hand, is my favorite piece on the EP. The vocal performance is stellar, the music minimalistic in just the right way, and the result is a really emotional and powerful track. It has something of a religious feel to it that I find really powerful. Blue is an understated piece that really did not make that strong of an impression on me at first, but has now come to be one of my favorites on the EP. The lead vocal performance is great, and brings the EP to an emotional conclusion.

It is in light of how these two pieces, Blue and They Won’t Go When I Go, that I will now state that my comment in the snippet about superlative songs was indeed premature. These two both reach it.

The instrumental pieces here are all enjoyable in their own rights. I have a harder time writing about purely instrumental music because I don’t know one lick of music theory, which leaves me lacking for a vocabulary to describe what I’m listening to, but I’ll do my best to say a thing or two about each one. I especially enjoyed the Camel piece, which did a lot of subtle things with buildups and the like. It was my favorite of the instrumentals. The Jeff Beck one is a close second—the jazzy vibe and some of the orchestral sounds are enjoyable, as is a lot of the guitar work. The orchestral opener piece works well as an opener.

This started out as an EP where I enjoyed the music in a general sense and admired the flow, but couldn’t put my finger on a lot of favorite moments. My view on it has since evolved and changed, and now I would happily name it as one of the top two EPs in the round.

Score: 18 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. Stevie Wonder - They Won’t Go When I Go (9)
2. Yoko Kanno - Blue (9)
3. Camel - Stationary Traveller (8)
4. Jeff Beck - Scatterbrain (8)
5. Pietro Mascagni - Intermezzo (8)
6. Billy Joel - Prelude/Angry Young Man (7.5)

romdrums: Half the World is Fighting the Same War Every Day
1. VOLA - The Same War
2. Karnivool - Goliath
3. Sleep Parade - Everyday
4. Skyharbor - Illusion: Night
5. Skyharbor - Illusion: Aurora
6. Distorted Harmony - Natural Selection
7. Arcane Roots - Half the World

Snippet: This EP has steadily grown on me, and probably has the strongest chance right now to end up as my favorite from this round. Which is especially interesting considering that only a couple of the artists were even on my radar. The key will be whether it comes to hold my attention in the middle section, which is where there are a couple of songs not doing much for me right now.

It’s going to be hard for me to describe precisely why I like this EP so much, because what I really like about it basically just amounts to: It’s a good sequence of seven good songs. The emphasis here is not particularly on concept or anything like that, which though they are things that certainly can be good in an EP, are not at all necessary things, as this one proves. This one proves you can do really well just by sending a lot of songs that the host really likes.

What I will try to do here is mention a few of the songs that deserve special notice from me. But the important thing is that I think all of the songs are good. I think all of them would likely score at least an 8 if entered individually. And this consistent level of quality is really an important element in an album or EP scoring well for me. I’d rather listen to an entire album where every song is an 8 than an album where there are some 9s and 10s intermixed with 5s and 6s. And on this one there are songs that exceed the 8 mark.

The first song I’ll mention is the VOLA track, which starts the EP off on something of an unusual note. It actually made me wary at first, but it grew to be one of my favorites on the EP. The contrast between the sort of jagged riffing and the melodic chorus is pretty cool, and that chorus is fantastic. It feels huge.

Illusion: Night by Skyharbor is a really beautiful softer track and is exactly the break that this fairly heavy EP needed. It also pairs well with the subsequent track, Illusion: Aurora, which manages to be beautiful and have a bit of an edge, both at the same time.

The grand finale, Half the World, is this EP’s clincher. A bit different stylistically than most of the other tracks, this one eschews technical riffing in favor of going all out on epic feel.  I love both refrains, the “Half the world” chorus as well as the “Be yourself” refrain at the end. There is so much grandeur, beauty and emotion in this one. One of my favorites of the round, maybe even of the roulette. This is how you end on a strong note.

This EP really illustrates what it means that I judge the EPs holistically. This EP may or may not have the highest average score, I don’t know. It doesn’t get any special bonus for “concept” or “flow”…

But after spending a month with all seven of these EPs, when listening to them as a whole units, this is the one that I like listening to the most. It is a great experience from start to finish, really a joy to listen to. A tour through a lot of bands that weren’t even on my radar before, but sure are now. As such, it will receive the highest score.

Score: 19 out of 20

Song ranking:
1. Arcane Roots - Half the World (9.5)
2. VOLA - The Same War (9)
3. Skyharbor - Illusion: Night (8.5)
4. Skyharbor - Illusion: Aurora (8.5)
5. Sleep Parade - Everyday (8)
6. Distorted Harmony - Natural Selection (8)
7. Karnivool - Goliath (8)

Final Standings:
1. romdrums: 77.5
2. Indiscipline: 75.5
3. Evermind: 75
3. Lethean: 75

5. Elite: 73.5
5. Parama: 73.5
7. Nekov: 71.5

8. Kattelox: 55.5
8. ShadowNinja 2.0: 55.5

10. OpenYourEyes311: 39
11. kingshmegland: 38.5
11. TAC: 38.5

13. Puppies_On_Acid: 30.5
13. Sacul: 30.5
15. Stadler: 30

16. Aefenwelg: 21
17. lonestar: 20.5
18. Train of Naught: 19.5

And the winner is: romdrums!

Congratulations to romdrums on winning the 425 Roulette v2! You had so many excellent submissions, as you would have had to in order to survive this cage match with 17 other contestants, all sending some great music in their own right! Thanks for your great entries!

To the other EP round contestants... thank you for playing and for sending all the excellent material one would need to send to get even this far. It was a tough game with a lot of tough decisions, and all of you performed really well up to and including your EP submissions.

Thank you as well to everyone for playing, especially those who have hung in there with this thread until the bitter end! In the coming days I will be posting some general statistics including song rankings, total roulette runtime, "best-of" playlists, etc. Thank you again to everyone for coming out!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1932 on: December 07, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »
Congrats romdrums!  :tup

425, thanks for having me and showing appreciation for some good oldies.

Hope you've been busy in a good way, but this has been fun despite the long waits.  :laugh:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1933 on: December 07, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »
Congrats Romdrums!

Regarding the kind of music, I chose songs from those bands that I though would go well for an EP but I recommend you give them a listen, specially Lonely Robot and Arena (The Visitor, Contagion and Pepper's Ghost) since they have more prog than is represented in the EP and more variety as well.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1934 on: December 07, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
I'm very glad that you enjoyed so much of what I sent over the last few months. 

Leprous is really fantastic but I'm going to guess that you'll prefer Bilateral (the album Forced Entry is from) over their more recent material. But who knows - it might lead you to check out more of their catalog which could grow on you...

And I'm happy that both Katatonia songs (mine and Evermind's) did pretty well this round.  Katatonia is awesome.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1935 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Yeah, I'll take it. Technically my highest score of the roulette  :lol

If I could've found something to replace move systems with I probably would have, even if I do love the song to death

And yeah this is one of my favorite EPs I've made thus far so I'm glad it turned out pretty well

Congrats romdjent!

Also is Move Systems the lowest scoring individual song of the roulette, I wonder  :lol the mother we share is really damn good though yeah, I had to bump up my rating of the song twice in my roulette last year because it just kept growing on me
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:47:07 AM by Parama »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1936 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »

Woot!!  I'm glad you enjoyed the EP, 425.  This was a fun roulette.  The competition was close.  It definitely went better than the first roulette I entered!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:23:08 PM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: December 07, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
I see that I managed to do exactly what I was aiming to do with my EP, and that makes me happy, despite my low score.

Ultimately, the success of this EP hangs on the success or failure of the Big Big Train song, in more ways than one. Because while I find the concept interesting and the songs good, the mood is rather gloomier than I would like to follow for a long period of time. So the finale needs not only to break the pattern of declines, but also give some brightness to the close of the EP.

So, does it succeed? I kind of don’t know? Sort of? I do like it, and I do think it is a better song than the preceding two—there’s actually a lot of good stuff going on here musically. But I don’t find it to be the hopeful ending I would have wanted (indeed, the concept Evermind wrote does not have a hopeful ending). There’s something about it that actually bothers me, though I find I have a hard time describing it. There’s something I find unsatisfying about this ending. And that kind of ends up being generalized to a feel about the EP as a whole.

What is my final analysis? … hard to say. This one has been the toughest EP to get a handle on. I find it exceedingly well done, but kind of not for me. There’s something that strikes me wrong about much of its emotional tone, especially the end, in a way that I find difficult to describe. So the emotional element is going to wind up ranking what I feel is probably a very, very good EP lower than it probably would score for someone who resonates better with it.

It's one of the bleakest things I've ever done for this kind of round, to be honest. While the music suggests a happy ending in both Harbour Lights and Curator of Butterflies, sometimes there's no such thing as happy ending. The story reflects something I always wanted to put into words. How can it be a happy ending if a person in question is profoundly unhappy? How do you turn years of suffering into sunshine and rainbows? I know this is not the answer you seek, but ultimately, you don't do that. You can't magically turn your sadness into happiness.

And as soon as I set onto making it, I knew it wouldn't be your thing. Yet still I continued to write and make it. I guess I just had to get it out of my system.

There's no happy ending. You get this whiskey and cat music, which the protagonist happens to listen to, and then the person in the story commits suicide, jumping off the cliff to be finally free.

There's no justification to this. There's nothing I would like to add. There's no happiness left in the world for both of the persons featured in story. Does it sound pretentious? Absolutely. Do I regret it? Not at all.

I don't really care about the results. I'm glad I did what I wanted to do.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1938 on: December 07, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
Actually... since the EP round took so long and was so far removed from the rest of the roulette, I hearby declare myself the regular season champion, and Romdrums is the tournament winner.  ;)  Um, yeah, makes sense to me.  :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: December 08, 2018, 12:47:21 AM »
Wow, that was probably the most drunken post I did on DTF in a while. :lol

It was fun playing in this!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1940 on: December 08, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »

Wihtout any spelling mistakes? Shenanigans!

Also glad that my EP did quite well. Maybe I should have done a different song than Bloodhail for the mnightmare’ part in my EP, but I really wanted to send it. I understand that it’s not everyone’s thung though. What I do think is strange is the low score for Karnivool. I would have though you’d like that a lot more. And do check out more of Arcade Fire. From what it seems they could be right up your alley.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1941 on: December 08, 2018, 09:14:13 AM »

Wihtout any spelling mistakes? Shenanigans!

Also glad that my EP did quite well. Maybe I should have done a different song than Bloodhail for the mnightmare’ part in my EP, but I really wanted to send it. I understand that it’s not everyone’s thung though. What I do think is strange is the low score for Karnivool. I would have though you’d like that a lot more. And do check out more of Arcade Fire. From what it seems they could be right up your alley.

I know "Tastes" and all, but that Vool song is one of the best songs on that album, and definitely a top 5 all time Karnivool track for me.  I love all of the twists and turns.  I was strongly considering using it in Indiscipline's roulette.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline 425

« Reply #1942 on: December 09, 2018, 11:10:23 PM »
Glad so many of you still had a good time despite the long waits!

Regarding the kind of music, I chose songs from those bands that I though would go well for an EP but I recommend you give them a listen, specially Lonely Robot and Arena (The Visitor, Contagion and Pepper's Ghost) since they have more prog than is represented in the EP and more variety as well.

Will do! I hope to at some point get to everything I enjoyed, which would include those two!

Leprous is really fantastic but I'm going to guess that you'll prefer Bilateral (the album Forced Entry is from) over their more recent material. But who knows - it might lead you to check out more of their catalog which could grow on you...

I'm kind of getting that sense, yeah. I know that Forced Entry and also Acquired Taste are from Bilateral, and I liked those both more than I've liked anything else I've heard from Leprous, so if I ever listen to one of their albums, it will definitely be that one.

And do check out more of Arcade Fire. From what it seems they could be right up your alley.

Definitely will, looking forward to it!

And I'm happy that both Katatonia songs (mine and Evermind's) did pretty well this round.  Katatonia is awesome.

Also glad that my EP did quite well. Maybe I should have done a different song than Bloodhail for the mnightmare’ part in my EP, but I really wanted to send it. I understand that it’s not everyone’s thung though. What I do think is strange is the low score for Karnivool. I would have though you’d like that a lot more.

I know "Tastes" and all, but that Vool song is one of the best songs on that album, and definitely a top 5 all time Karnivool track for me.  I love all of the twists and turns.  I was strongly considering using it in Indiscipline's roulette.

Man, people really want me to like these two "words that actually start with a C but we spell them with a K" bands! I have to say, having now heard several songs from each... I think they both have some good stuff going on, but in neither case am I yet at the point of running out to listen to all their albums. I'll give both a decent shot at some point, though.

I was going to say this a meaner way, but I've decided to say it more nicely: My obstacle with Katatonia is that it seems like there's one consistent mood that runs through all three of their songs that I've heard, and that consistency sort of bleeds over into the songs sounding similar to one another. This may not actually be the case with their discography as a whole, and I liked the songs I've heard pretty well, well enough to investigate the rest... but I did kind of get the feeling of "yeah, I knew he was going to sing the chorus this way" by the third song.

With Karnivool, it's a bit harder to say precisely why they're not quite hitting home as well for me as they do for some of you. Sometimes a song will hit me as "yeah this is solid" for a while until one day it really clicks into gear, so that could end up being the case here... I definitely got a "yeah this is solid" vibe from Umbra.

Also is Move Systems the lowest scoring individual song of the roulette, I wonder  :lol the mother we share is really damn good though yeah, I had to bump up my rating of the song twice in my roulette last year because it just kept growing on me

Move Systems is indeed the lowest-scoring individual song of the roulette. It's the only one to go below a 5. A small part of that may be that I feel more comfortable assigning that low of a score when it's not going to totally tank the person's overall score... but it genuinely was my last favorite song of the roulette and the only one that I would consider below the level of "my reaction to this is completely neutral," which is what I consider a 5 to be.

CHVRCHES is near the top of my list of artists to check from this roulette. The Mother We Share just grabbed hold of me and won't let go.

Evermind,

I'm glad you stuck to your EP idea despite your (ultimately correct) suspicion that it would not score great with me. I can tell a lot went into it, and I liked the work that you did on both the EP and the story. I could continue to go into detail about what I liked and didn't, but I don't know that there's much I could add that one of us hasn't already said, except: I hear you, and I see where you were going.

I do think the EP and story could find a more receptive audience on this forum from some people other than me. If you'd like to post the story in this thread, I would not mind that at all, and would in fact encourage people to check it out. Again, I really do think you did some very good work on this.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1943 on: December 09, 2018, 11:44:04 PM »
i've found with chvrches that i really like exactly 0 of their other songs besides the mother we share. chvrches is actually what got bolsters cut from my second roulette (so gutsy move to lead off with them in the next roulette lol)

i don't like anything else on the georgia album either. i just really dig that one song and it's hard to explain why because i totally understand why someone would dislike it