Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 77751 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I’m really glad to see album roulettes proving popular among some other DTFers – I loved my first one (and indeed really enjoyed participating in Katt’s and Parama’s) and so I’m doing it again. But I’m doing it differently this time – I’ve learned from last time and from seeing what others do.

GENERAL RULES:
  • Submissions: Whole albums (which can include EPs), sent to me by PM.
  • Scoring: Albums will be rated out of 10.
  • Length: There is no maximum or minimum length. In general, I have no particular preference for longer or shorter albums, though albums that don't have much variety of tone or style tend to be better if they're not too long IMO. And on the flipside, an EP of just three short songs probably won’t have much impact unless they’re really, really good.
  • Banned artists and albums: As in previous roulettes, instead of typing out a banned list, banned artists are based on my RYM profile (https://rateyourmusic.com/~ariich – scroll down to the "music" section and you can use the "ratings" tab to see what I've rated, or use the "Search ariich's music for" bar to see if something you're thinking of is already in my list - If you really can't figure out, you can just ask!). The banned rules are as follows:
    • Any album I have rated is banned.
    • Anything by an artist that I've rated 3 times or more is also banned, even if I haven't rated that particular album. Basically, If it's an album that I haven't rated, by a band or artist I've rated only 1 or 2 other albums by (or none, obviously), it's cool.
    • Any artist that scores 7.5 or above in the roulette will also have any other albums of theirs banned, and I’ll maintain a list in this OP.

ROUNDS:
  • The first round will be open to anyone. Assuming this is more than 8 players, the 8 highest scoring will progress to round 2 and everyone else will be booted. So, you know, start strong. :P
  • There will then be 4 further open rounds with no eliminations. After this, the 4 highest-scoring players will reach the semi-finals, and everyone else will be eliminated.
  • The semi-finals will be knockout – 1st v 4th place and 2nd vs 3rd. The winners will progress to the final.
  • To make the final more of a challenge, and a bit of fun, the two finalists will submit 2 albums each, which will need to be very different in style and tone. As well as the two ratings out of 10, an additional score out of 5 will be awarded based on how different the two albums feel to me, for a maximum total score of 25.
  • The winner will be bathed in glory for all eternity.
  • (EDIT: After the first round, I decided to accept 11 people to round two instead of 8. Therefore 6 will be in the semi final and 3 in the final!)

OTHER INFO:
  • The first round may take quite a while if there are lots of entries, which is why I’ve created this thread slightly early. After that I will try and keep rounds to between a week and 10 days. Hangman will occur.
  • I have a Spotify subscription, so that's pretty ideal for submissions as I can sync for offline listening, but other free streaming platforms such as bandcamp are also acceptable. You can always just tell me what the album is, and I'll see if I can stream it from somewhere, or if absolutely necessary you can send me the files - better to have your preferred submission than whatever happens to be on Spotify.
  • I will commit to listening to every album an absolute minimum of twice, though I should normally be able to listen three or more times. If I'm really not finding myself at all interested after two listens, then even if I have time I reserve the right to give up on it. The ease of streaming platform may also affect the number of listens.

MY TASTES:
I haven’t really done a “my tastes” section before, and I’m not really going to do a proper one now, because I don’t really know how to describe them. My RYM profile probably gives a decent idea, particularly on albums I rate 4 stars or higher (though in terms of style I wouldn’t read much into the difference between 4 and 5 stars).

I have a general leaning towards rock and metal, but I like music from pretty much any other genre too, as will be clear from my RYM profile. It’s a bit of a cliché, but broadly speaking the stuff I like the most is that which evokes a feeling in me, or makes me want to immerse myself in it. But there are completely different ways that music can do that, which depending on the style could contrast or could complement. An incomplete list of ways that music can, but does not necessarily, speak to me includes:
  • Strong melodies and harmonies (I’m absolutely fine with harsh vocals, though I don’t think there are many albums I rate highly that are 100% harsh);
  • Energy and dynamism/variety (which can include technicality);
  • Strong production, of various types (e.g. punchy, deep, etc.);
  • Atmosphere.
I’d say that all my favourite music hits at least one of those, often more. And if something is particularly weak in one or more of those areas, it would normally need to really excel in others to compensate. But to be honest, I’m unpredictable and something might tick all those boxes and still just not really speak to me. So, yeah, good luck. :lol

Additional note from later in the thread:
A couple of people have commented in here, and in PMs when submitting albums, about my favourite albums on RYM, so I just thought I'd provide a note on how to sensibly interpret my RYM ratings if people are using that as a guide.

Essentially everything 4 stars and above I consider to be excellent. Within that, the stuff that I rate even higher (4.5-5 stars) is pretty random and really just comes down to how much it really grabs me, but that almost always comes after many listens (or if I'm already very familiar with an artist). With completely new stuff, I rarely commit to a 4.5 star rating (and pretty much never a 5 star rating) after only a few listens. So if you're trying to judge what I might like a lot, taking in everything 4 stars and up is a good starting point, and higher ratings can of course be considered but may not be as reliable (to the extent that anything is very reliable, which is not much).

Stuff I rate 3.5 stars I still consider very good, but there's normally something about it that I find slightly lacking for whatever reason. Even more so for 3 stars which is basically "good enough but not very exciting". 2.5 stars and lower is basically the range where I'd probably never bother to listen to it again.

PARTICIPANTS:
1. Train of Naught
2. Parama
3. Luoto
4. twosuitsluke
5. LordCost
6. TAC

Eliminated in Round Five:
7= jingle.boy
7= Sacul
7= Lethean
7= Puppies_On_Acid
11. Kattelox

Eliminated in Round One:
12= Nekov
12= romdrums
12= kingshmegland
12= Elite
12= Evermind
17= Indiscipline
17= Stadler

BANNED DURING ROULETTE:
Ábime
AFI
Alithia
Amendfoil
Arcane Roots
Astronoid
Be'lakor
Cardiacs
Conception
Devil Sold His Soul
Dreamgrave
The Earth and I
Earthside
Eidola
Enslaved
Euphoreon
Evership
The Fall of Troy
Fireproven
The Flaming Lips
Ghost Brigade
Hannes Grossmann
Hooverphonic
Hyperomm
Kælling
Katatonia
Kauan
Kepler Ten
The King Blues
King Goat
Kingcrow
Kings of Leon
Little Tybee
Lör
Morcheeba
Mr. Bungle
Need
New Horizons
Odd Palace
Omnium Gatherum
The Ongoing Concept
OWEL
Phi
Port Noir
Rishloo
Rolo Tomassi
Rx Bandits
Sieges Even
Skyclad
Sons Of Seasons
Structural Disorder
St. Vincent
Talk Talk
Toto
Tribulation
The World Is Quiet Here
Vangough
Voyager
Zeal & Ardor

ROUND RESULTS:
Round One
Round Two
Round Three
Round Four
Round Five (end of group stage)
Semi finals
Fourth place match
Final
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:21:02 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. yep totally mad (open to all)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
In like Flynn... so that I can be out like Floyd next week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:31:41 AM »
Yes Here I Am

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
I already signed up but sure sign me up again :tup

I can send right away if you're fine with that
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
WTH, why not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
I'm down. You sent a variety of wild stuff in my roulette and helped turn me onto Frost* in a big way as well as Caligula's Horse, Frank Turner, and a bit more appreciation for Myrath and Haken, so I'm looking forward to this. Good to know you're up for a variety of music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
I'm flying out of town on a business trip tomorrow which will apparently take who knows how many days (probably more than a week), but I'd like to play. You'll get my album in a few hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
I can send right away if you're fine with that
Absolutely - for those who are signing up, feel free to send whenever you're ready.

I'm flying out of town on a business trip tomorrow which will apparently take who knows how many days (probably more than a week), but I'd like to play. You'll get my album in a few hours.
Perfect timing then! I decided to start a bit early to give more time for people to sign up, and this first round might be a long one if we have a lot of submissions.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »
I haven't participated in a roulette for quite a while (due to my life being way more hectic than I'd like) but I think I'll find an album roulette easier to keep up with.

Will send shortly if I'm in.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:31:59 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
I'm definitely in :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »
I'll give it a try. :)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
I am definitely in! I will send shortly (and by shortly, I mean sometime in the next 12-13 hours...)

By the way, your rankings of Rush albums makes me a little sad....  :'(

SENT!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:38:24 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
Sent one of the best discoveries of mine in the last year  :metal

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
This?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
This?

Nope, trust me, I discovered that when it came out (because my sister has always liked terrible pop music and so the whole family ended up listening to it). I always preferred the follow up singles  :hat

On this topic, I remember when I was living in Sydney, I lived around the corner from The Enmore Theater, which had some great metal bands playing all the time, over the 4 months I was there. One night I was walking past the venue, to the pub, and there was a queue around the block! The queue was probably about 3 times bigger than any other band that I'd seen play there. I was thinking "Holy shit, must be a really big name playing tonight".

You guessed it, it was fucking Aqua! Damn Aussies!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
i sent an album that i would expect ariich would have sent to me in my roulette had he already known it

so, post-hardcore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
Sure, why not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
Sent one of the best discoveries of mine in the last month  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
Which unfortunately I already know and have done for years :P (and in fairness, rate highly). You'll need to re-send I'm afraid!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
what was it  :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »
Which unfortunately I already know and have done for years :P (and in fairness, rate highly). You'll need to re-send I'm afraid!

At least I know I'm on the right track. It was I, Vigilante by Crippled Black Phoenix  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
Can I join?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
oh yeah crippled black phoenix
i was so sad the rest of their stuff wasn't that similar to the one song you sent me because that one was sooooo good

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
Sent one of my favorite albums from 2017.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
Can I join?

The first round will be open to anyone. Assuming this is more than 8 players, the 8 highest scoring will progress to round 2 and everyone else will be booted.

:P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »
I read that, but I asked just in case :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
We've already had a submission of an album I haven't heard before, but by a band who I've highly rated two albums by. I actually considered tightening that rule, but decided not to in part because this never happened in the last roulette (also there are so few artists that applies to anyway). So we'll see how that goes.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
‘win if you can; lose if you must, but always cheat'

:corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
:lol

It's in the rules, so it's not cheating. Unless I actually rated a third album by this band, but the person in question hacked my RYM and removed one of the ratings.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
Alright, count me in. I'll decide what to send soon, already a few decent options :corn
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
I'm sending the greatest album that has ever been laid to tape. Game on, gentlemen.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »
Really glad to have so much interest, and sorry that so many of you are going to only last one round.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Really glad to have so much interest, and sorry that so many of you are going to only last one round.
On the plus side, at least Chad won't be the only one eliminated in round 1 this time OH BURN

I be am boner inducing.