Author Topic: The Ageing Process Pertaining to Our Voices...  (Read 743 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Ageing Process Pertaining to Our Voices...
« on: August 03, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
I was sitting pondering stupid shit yesterday and was thinking about how we age. I'm 53 years old and have been singing for 30 years. I definitely notice a difference between my voice at 27 and my voice at 53 as far as vocals go.
But my question is this...
We all know a dramatic chance takes place from 25 to 50 with physical appearance but what about our speaking voice over that span.
Does the human speaking voice (not singing voice) change a lot over the years? I was wondering if I was to hear a recording of myself saying the same exact sentence at age 25 and then at age 50 if I would hear much of a difference?
Would you be able to tell which was 25 and which was 50 or would it be so similar you wouldn't know the difference?
Just curious to get some thoughts on the matter.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: The Ageing Process Pertaining to Our Voices...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »
It changes.

The small muscles and cartilages in your vocal apparatus aren't immune to aging. Also, as your visage loses tone and becomes flabbish, your soft (everything not made of bone) resonators change, and so does your sound. Usually you get to keep your "twang", but it's slightly muffled by a small loss of high harmonics.

Furthermore, your ear can lose a step or two and - since we innately modulate our emission with our ears - The vocal production will be tainted by a kind of "false" sound image from the source, so to speak.

The entity of change depends on many indirect factors too. For example:

How you deal with ASL, that is Alcohol, Smoke, Lack of sleep.
Your small muscles tone. The more you exercise and the more your vocal training revolves on the operatic style, the more you tend to speak in a fixed position (the same you sing with), the more your speaking voice fends aging away.
The way you speak and the percentage of soundless air you use in your spoken voice. Without entering the field of speech therapy, air and wrong posture can destroy your sound as soon as you body ages, and even before that.

The subject is obviously more complex and I'm horribly simplifying it, but I wanted to respond to your curiosity and not to bore.