Author Topic: Am I the only one who doesn't get the point of autographs?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Am I the only one who doesn't get the point of autographs?
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
I saw this link today in my news feed

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/william-shatner-defends-anti-autograph-policy-star-trek-fan-outcry-1128825

In a nutshell, Shatner has a no-autograph, no-pictures policy outside of conventions. Apparently a lot of fans are pissed about this, but I thought "that is a really sensible policy; what's the point of autographs and celebrity selfies anyway?"

What do you guys do with that signed piece of paper? Do you frame it? Do you ever look at it again? I'm genuinely curious because I really don't see the point of autographs and celebrity pics.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jammindude

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't get the point of autographs?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
I used to have a napkin framed with Lars Ulrich’s autograph when I accidentally bumped into him at a restaurant all by himself at SeaTac airport over the holidays in 1988.  (His father used to live on one of the islands out here)   I lost it in a move. 

That’s the only autograph I ever had on a piece of paper, and it was only because I didn’t have anything else.  It was just a freak occurrence.    So, in general, having a piece of paper doesn’t make much sense to me.    But I do love having my CDs signed by bands and I have several.   My original O:MC is signed by Whip.   My original IAW is signed by everyone but Kevin.   I also have copies of SDOIT, 8V, and Astonishing signed.   Coma Ecliptic is signed by BTBAM.    I think having a signed CD is a really cool thing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
Well, he's honest. I totally see his point.

For me autographs are just a physical reminder of the time I met someone. I don't go "Damn, look at what a marvelous calligraphy has Celebrity X" looking at it. It's more of a "Hehe, I met this person and this is the proof".

By now autographs have been rendered obsolete by pictures, it's more likely that people ask for a photo than an autograph. And I think it's better to have a photograph than a signed paper. If someone grants me that (I only ask musicians anyway and they're very fan friendly) all for the better, if someone doesn't have time, I won't begrudge them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
I never got it either. I understand for many it is a physical reminder that you met someone in person, as MirrorMask said. I dont need physical reminders of things, and if i did, as he said a picture would be a thousand times more valuable to me. But I'll take it a step further and say I don't really get book signings or meet and greet type of events. You stand in line for hours, finally get to the guy, shake his hand he signs your book or CD, and then you're done. There are plenty of "stars" I'd enjoy bumping in to at the airport like JD and Lars, but very few I'd go out of my way to meet as part of a cattle herd.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »
I never understood it either.

I now have this piece of paper which will now clutter up my home and then if I lose said paper, now I'm sad that I lost this thing that seemingly was important to me. I also don't like harassing people and I certainly wouldn't want people flocking all around me begging for pictures and autographs when I'm out trying to get groceries. And a lot of people just want the autograph so they can sell it and make a quick buck. So there's that aspect as well.

Its almost like a knee jerk reaction or something where people psychologically are like "oh my god, I can't believe I am near this famous person!! I have to have some formal record of this above average experience". For me though, I'm just like, oh there's some famous person. That's nice, now back to what I was doing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »
I have met two or three semi-famous people in my life, and in all cases I had absolutely nothing to say to that person. And how could I? I can only refer to the stuff they are famous for, but that then they will have heard already 500 times on that day.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
Autographs by themselves do nothing for me, but autographed items (cds, shirts, setlists, etc) make for very cool memorabilia.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
I think it depends on context. If I ran into William Shatner, would I want an autograph? No.

But when he released a book and offered to sign it if you bought it early enough, did I buy that as a special gift for my mom who also loves Star Trek? Yes. That autograph meant a lot to her.

If I ran into Nic Cage, would I get a video of him saying he wants to take my face off and send it to Jackie? HELL YES!

The most I have is a framed picture of hand written lyrics to a made up song, written to me by Devin Townsend. That's special to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »
I think it depends on context. If I ran into William Shatner, would I want an autograph? No.

But when he released a book and offered to sign it if you bought it early enough, did I buy that as a special gift for my mom who also loves Star Trek? Yes. That autograph meant a lot to her.

If I ran into Nic Cage, would I get a video of him saying he wants to take my face off and send it to Jackie? HELL YES!

The most I have is a framed picture of hand written lyrics to a made up song, written to me by Devin Townsend. That's special to me.

That’s pretty awesome, and honestly despite not being that familiar with his music, I would love to meet Devin Townsend because he seems like a great dude.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
For people who really "worship" (for lack of a better term) certain celebrities, I totally get it.  They think this person is awesome, they love to read about them, watch videos of them, everything.  Meeting them and exchanging even a few brief words with them would be fucking amazing, and an autograph is the whipped cream on top.

Why?  Because it isn't just a physical memento, it is a personal physical memento.  My favorite <whatever> wrote this, to me, as I watched, and here it is.

I can't think of a single person I feel that strongly about, but I certainly "get the point" of it.  I'm honestly confused by people who say they don't get it.  What's to get?  It's something that means a lot to somebody else.  If it means nothing to you, cool.  But do you really not understand why it could mean so much to someone else?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
There are 3 things I own that are autographed.

1) a picture a Neil schon. Got it as a gift for my father but never gave it to him.
2) A keyboard book signed by DT. Don’t really care much about it.
3) My Majesty guitar signed by Petrucci. That to me is pretty special since he is my favorite guitarist and it’s a signature guitar signed by the artist himself.

I would say it depends on the item and how much the person means to you.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
I have a Todd Rundgren CD that he autographed at a meet and greet thing.  I'm not a huge fan, but he's a great musician and a pretty cool guy, so when the opportunity came up to meet him, I figured I'd go.  I completely forgot that I even have it until now.  The CD itself just sits in the rack with all the others, and it's not even one of my favorite Rundgren CDs, but it's the only memento I have of meeting an actual celebrity, so what the fuck, I'm keeping it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »
I can't think of a single person I feel that strongly about, but I certainly "get the point" of it.  I'm honestly confused by people who say they don't get it.  What's to get?  It's something that means a lot to somebody else.  If it means nothing to you, cool.  But do you really not understand why it could mean so much to someone else?

I understand if someone obsesses over a person like that, but I don't think the majority of people who want autographs are at that level. I think the part I don't understand is, to me I can't disassociate the "empty gesture" part from the whole thing. The actor/musician in question will not remember you, nor did he/she get anything out of it, so, yes, it's a memento, but it's a memento of something that was likely indifferent, possibly even annoying, to the actor/musician.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
Ironic, since my wife does have an autographed pic of William Shatner (from a scifi con five years ago).  We even did one of those 'pay for a pic with Shatner' things.  The same year we went to a meet and greet roundtable with Ted Neely and Barry Dennon(incredible experience, and an almost lifelong dream for my wife), and a Broadway play where she got the playbill signed by Patrick Stewart.   So, in a matter of months, we met Captain Kirk, Jesus Christ, and Captain Picard.  Talk about rubbing shoulders with immortals! ;)

My wife is good (and patient) at getting one or two on Broadway playbills if she chooses to do so.  Makes holding onto them extra special.

I've gone to a couple of book discussions and signings to get the more 'personal touch'.  So I have Gordie Howe and Mitch Albom.  I have Brian May and Roger Taylor autographs on obscure 45 solo sleeves. My wife and I got to speak with Detroit Tiger great Willie Horton six years ago (my Mom's alltime favorite).  I got his autograph on the cover of the '66 Tiger Yearbook that he was featured on.  I will get an Alan Trammel sig next weekend at Cooperstown when he's inducted into the HOF.   Friends pitched in for a birthday present DT 'meet and greet' a few years ago, and I had the band members sign the birthday card (enjoyed seeing the joy of other fans as they had whatever objects signed during their one or two minutes with the guys).  Oh, and I did get JP and JR's autographs on their 'An Evening With' when they showed up at a preconcert 'meet and greet' last year that I volunteered to 'direct'.  Both were taken back a bit, and delighted, that the item was slightly out of the norm The Willie Horton yearbook and our picture with him are framed.  As is my birthday card and my pic with DT.  And one with Brian May.  But that's it.

Since my move here, I have about a dozen or so event programs of Colts, past and present Ravens, past and present Orioles that I have given to an elderly neighbor.  Whether she still has them or not, I have no clue.  But the moment did make us all happy, and the memories still do. 

I know the joy of 'the moment'.  I also don't understand the obsession and FANaticism of so many others. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:37:19 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Probably to create a space like these:

Not my place, not my photos but if I still had the stuff I sold to get out of Venezuela I probably would be building something like that

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
That's a lot of Portnoy.

I'll take those JP guitars though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
... to me I can't disassociate the "empty gesture" part from the whole thing. The actor/musician in question will not remember you, nor did he/she get anything out of it, so, yes, it's a memento, but it's a memento of something that was likely indifferent, possibly even annoying, to the actor/musician.

That's what I was trying to say. You are meeting someone whose artwork you admire, maybe you even admire them as a person. But you are one of 300 people walking through a line. They probably appreciate you came and paid the fee, but beyond that you are just one fan of hundreds.

We even did one of those 'pay for a pic with Shatner' things. 

That's just weird to me, anyone would pay for a picture with someone. But I know people like it and I think it's cool you value that experience.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »
When I was a kid, I would wait, pen in hand, for my favorite athlete, musician, actor, etc. It was a way of making some type of connection with them that I could have as a keepsake of the moment. A way to make them seem real I suppose. I now have certain signed items that I have collected through the years, that on several fronts add value to them.

While in college playing football, I was amazed when little kids used to ask for mine. I would always oblige, but I also always felt unworthy of the adulation. I was after all, simply a student athlete. I didn't consider myself a celebrity in any sense. But I recognized that to a little kid, we were all larger than life heroes; and it was all about the experience for them.

When I started to gain popularity as an author, it began again. I can't tell you how many books I've signed at conventions, or actual book signings/readings. Several thousand at least. Usually someone wants me to write some dedication to a family member or friend, who shares in their appreciation of my work. It's actually quite common. I also see authors at various shows all of the time- who self published, haven't probably sold more than 100 books, who actually advertise "Signed Copies"; and people rush to get their autographed copy. Again, I think it's a way for people to feel connected. Not to mention that they think it somehow makes it more valuable. I was at a convention a few years ago, and this 30-something guy bought a book, and asked me to sign it, and declared, ''I have no idea who you are, but this might be valuable to someone I can sell it to later who reads your books." At least he was honest, if not misguided. I have also had people who have specifically asked me to sign a book without any dedication whatsoever; who plan on running out and selling it on eBay or something, and I have to chuckle." Let's see, dude. You just spent like 25 bucks on the book, and you'll sell it for what, 25.50?"  :lol

If I've signed 10,000 autographs, I have friends who through the years have signed 1,000 or 10,000X that number. I've seen firsthand how much that can wear someone down. But most of them accept it's part of the whole celebrity deal.

What happens with more frequency is that someone will want a signed book AND a selfie. Or sometimnes they just want a selfie with them holding the book. I'd actually rather just sign the damn thing if I'm honest. When you take a photo with someone, you have to "perform'' in a sense. You have to pose and smile, and I can't tell you how many times people really take advantage. "Oh, wait, my hair was down over my face, can we take another one?", Or "I don't like how I'm standing, can we do it again?" I once had a lady tell me my smile wasn't good enough, and we needed to take it over. They want you to put their arm around them, or vice-versa. Act like we're lomg lost cousins or something. The "Selfie" can be a pain in the ass.

Luckily for me, I only have to deal with that when I'm actually appearing somewhere. I'm hardly recognized outside of an acutal scheduled appearance. But, it's part of the job. It helps people stay connected to your work, and it sells books, supposedly. And I really am incredibly grateful that people appreciate the work, and want to meet me. I also really like meeting people at signings and conventions, because nearly all of them are into the same type of things that I write about. They are my people. We geek out on the same things. So it's cool for me to have a shared experience with them too. I love it when we talk about loving the same author, or movie, or book, or band or whatever.

But I have a whole new appreciation for those who stand under a much brighter light than I ever will. I have friends who actually worry about what they wear each day, because they may need to look good for some selfie. No thanks. I'd much rather sign a book any day of the week.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »
... to me I can't disassociate the "empty gesture" part from the whole thing. The actor/musician in question will not remember you, nor did he/she get anything out of it, so, yes, it's a memento, but it's a memento of something that was likely indifferent, possibly even annoying, to the actor/musician.

That's what I was trying to say. You are meeting someone whose artwork you admire, maybe you even admire them as a person. But you are one of 300 people walking through a line. They probably appreciate you came and paid the fee, but beyond that you are just one fan of hundreds.

I admit that it can be a rather "personal, but only one way" type of thing.  Means a lot to the person getting the autograph, next to nothing for the celebrity involved.  But hey, if the recipient is good with that, it's good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »
I don't give a crap about autographs either, but then again, I am not someone who gets star struck either.  When I saw Neal Morse this past spring, I was aware that he was talking with fans afterwards on that tour, so I was sure I would get to meet and chat with him a little, and it didn't even cross my mind to bring something for him to sign; I just don't care about that sort of thing. Getting a pic with him was 100 times better.  It's like when pre-orders are announced with the "the first 100 people to order get a copy signed by x-artist" stipulation, and I am like, "Who gives a crap?" 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »

We even did one of those 'pay for a pic with Shatner' things. 

That's just weird to me, anyone would pay for a picture with someone. But I know people like it and I think it's cool you value that experience.

I'll be honest....it was weird.  I felt a bit childish thinking of it, felt a bit childish doing it at first, but the age range of those doing the same was from eight to eighty, so those feelings went away.  But you stand in line like cattle, get about 15-20 seconds and hope one of the two pix turn out OK.  I was old enough to see TOS premiere back in the days of 'stone knives and bear skins', it would be my one chance to shake his hand and say 'thank you' for Star Trek and Boston Legal (heck, our dog was named Denny Crane after his character on the show, which made him smile), and it made my wife happy as well.

Can't see myself doing it again (unless TempusVox comes to town. ;)....great post)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
I don't know; I have a couple autographs.  Mike.   Neal.   Gene Simmons.  Paul Stanley.  Billy Squier.   Gary Barden.   Some Yankees.   

I know that in some cases, autographs DO matter; Hall of Fame baseballs are worth a fair amount because of the autographs (especially if the player signs "HOF" or "Hall of Fame" and the year of induction on the ball; whatever, doesn't make sense to me either).   But for me, the experience is what matters.  I will rarely ask for an autograph.  Maybe if it was someone of some real fame, but mostly for me, it's about getting to look the people I grew up with in the eye and (hopefully, rarely) having a conversation with them (like I did with Billy Squier; he clearly wanted to talk and I'm good at asking questions without it seeming like I'm asking questions).   

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »

Well, if we go this way, aren't concerts themselves just another "night on the job" for many estabilished act? Dream Theater themselves, tour after tour and town after town, what's the difference for them between the crowd in St. Louis and the crowd in Denver? actually I remember James addressing this specific point in an interview, saying that for you, the musician, it's just another gig but for someone coming to that gig it's their only occasion in the entire tour to see the band, and you have to give your best.

Also something like doing eye contact, fist bumping from the first row flies off in the mind of the musicians. "JP looked at me doing a solo and smiled!", yeah, very cool, ask him again in two weeks and let's see if he even remembers your face. What matters is that IN THAT MOMENT he looked at you, and that was a nice moment and memory.

(Even though musicians do have at least some couple of hours of memory, Jon Oliva after a show recognized me going hell bent and singing all the songs from the front row  ;D )
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
I don't go crazy over them anymore - not sure if it's just because I've "matured" as an adult, or simply because I have autographs from most of the people I would want autographs from - but they are cool to have. I don't go out of my way to pester them for it, I think the only times I've ever gotten signed things are at specific signing events (meet n greets or store signings).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
I like getting autographs but in the right situations.   If they know it's a line to sign something then yes.  If I bump into them in public,  no.  I want them to have normal conversations and just hang out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Hell, you invite them over for pancakes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 02:54:19 PM »
Right.  Then kick their asses out of my house. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
I like to have autographed CDs / DVDs but would not pay for a meet and great.
I might stick around if the artist shows up for an impromptu signing.
I also preorder or buy directly from artists who sign their albums.
Anneke van Giersbergen is a favorite because she signs every album bought directly from her while most artists only sign preorders.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »
It's funny this came up. A few nights ago I'm digging through a box in a closet and I pull out a cap autographed by all of Night Ranger. Addressed to me personally. Now I'm stumped trying to figure out when the hell I met Night Ranger. It's a big mystery. I saw them a few times back in the day, buy I have no recollection at all of ever meeting them. Even stranger, the cap is from KUFO, which seems to be out of Portland, a city I'm confident I've never stepped foot in. It's been gnawing at me for a week now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »
I like to get memories autographed. I take pictures with people one year, and then return the next year with a printout of our picture.

I do have a baseball though that my dad gave me that was signed by David Wells and Don Larsen. David Cone used to do a workshop in my hometown every summer, and I had him sign it too. I'm not sure how many baseballs there are out there with the signatures of all three NY Yankee perfect game pitchers on it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 07:23:49 PM »
It's funny this came up. A few nights ago I'm digging through a box in a closet and I pull out a cap autographed by all of Night Ranger. Addressed to me personally. Now I'm stumped trying to figure out when the hell I met Night Ranger. It's a big mystery. I saw them a few times back in the day, buy I have no recollection at all of ever meeting them. Even stranger, the cap is from KUFO, which seems to be out of Portland, a city I'm confident I've never stepped foot in. It's been gnawing at me for a week now.

Meanwhile, Josh from Portland has been hanging these for thirty years.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol