Author Topic: Treasure Hunt  (Read 112250 times)

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
Re: Treasure Hunt
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2018, 04:57:45 AM »
I have decided to see through puzzle two to completion as it was planned. You might have seen an image already:

4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline Hyrul

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:31 AM »
For all of you guys who wanna catch up with what we did, what we found, and have, I made a google doc file summing it all up. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yyYIIDp6UxuMm6jXpEkV9NfL4gYf1BBvXFyo6uk4Z2s/
I'm mainly on the DT Discord for now, which is linked in it. I'll try to make this Gdoc always as up to date as I can.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »
I do not agree. I find this cheating despicable. Consider yourself punished. All progress is reset.

This is a bad way to cope with the community having more computer skills than you.

Not at all.  Basically hacking the puzzle was a poor way to engage in a game that was supposed to be fun for everyone.  Cheating and then whining when you got caught is pretty lame, honestly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hyrul

« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2018, 07:11:38 AM »
This could have been prevented. Can we move on to that sparrows thing ?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »
Well, now you know the DTF skills which allowed members here to find clues to impending album releases.  :lol

Kind of true, the DT community is pretty hardcore about these things it seems, not that I support cheating, just saying.

Looks like you guys are able to save it still though so that's cool

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
So, if the DT logo is a potential clue, there are two possibilities I can think of:

Mary Queen of Scots (the logo is very similar to her symbol)
Dominici (There was a rumor for a while that the logo was made from superimposing all the letters from Dominici on top of each other)

Or it could mean nothing or something else entirely

Edit: Also it looks like the stuff at the top of the yellow pad is a form of graphic notation. The green symbols definitely look like repeat symbols and the lines look like they could be outlining the contour of motives in a riff.

X-1 seems like a reference to Cygnus X-1
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:47:34 AM by Ninjabait »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:31 AM »
I have no clue whats going on at this point, but keep updating this thread guys, it's cool to see play out.

Offline rab7

« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Ah I can't believe I missed all of this.

If I had been here back at page 1, as a Hamilton fan, I would've been able to tell y'all immediately what "IHTHTB Your Obedient Servant" meant so you wouldn't have wasted time trying to decipher it.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2018, 07:51:43 AM »
According to Google, there's a book called Mary, Queen of Scots by Walter Shaw Sparrow.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
According to Google, there's a book called Mary, Queen of Scots by Walter Shaw Sparrow.

Good catch!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »
Should've known DTF would solve this thing lickity split. You asked and people did it. I find that funny.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Freddy Jacobi

• Pupp Socket
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
Well, to be fair, nothing has been solved, they just got access to some source files before the time. Those source files meant nothing without the decryption key in the big picture, but it did mean that they didnt have to solve any of the following puzzles to get all the source files. So the easy solution: reset the source files to contain a new puzzle, and they're back to square one.
4: 40583312000000530000334000369999

Offline russoc4

« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13:53 AM »
I do not agree. I find this cheating despicable. Consider yourself punished. All progress is reset.

Not at all.  Basically hacking the puzzle was a poor way to engage in a game that was supposed to be fun for everyone.  Cheating and then whining when you got caught is pretty lame, honestly.

Hi. I'm a regular on the Dream Theater Discord server (I use a different name there, but activation of the account is taking longer than I expected). I think that this treasure hunt is a fantastic idea and I'm excited that it's brought many fans across the forums, reddit, Discord, etc together to collaborate. We've seen a surge in people joining Discord thanks to it.

I came here to say that we (Discord members and Dream Theater fans all around) would rather not go down in history as cheaters, hackers, or as having maliciously ruined the hunt. This was an accident where the community and "Freddy Jacobi" can share the blame. And we all can learn from this.

When the first level of this treasure hunt was brought to the Discord server, I immediately considered it to be similar to the "notpron" puzzle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notpron, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/Notpron). In this puzzle, you have to solve riddles to advanced to the next web page. Many of the riddles involve checking the page source and/or modifying URLs to advance. This is exactly what happened here. An ambitious treasure hunter found and modified URLs without knowing that this was out the bounds. I tried to do it too, but I wasn't as successful. To us, this seemed to be a normal part of the hunt, especially since Mr. Jacobi said "This puzzle will rely on logical skills, computer skills, and social skills." In fact, the first thing I did to contribute to the hunt was check the page source to discover that a Gronsfeld Cipher is involved; the clue was hidden as #FFFFFF colored text. No one said that this was hacking or cheating.

The person who crawled the website to find the URLs may or may not respond here. Either way, they apologize for what happened and assure us that it was a misunderstanding.

The exposure of the URLs was an oversight on Jacobi's part, and the discovery of the URLs was a result of our having no knowledge of what "computer skills" were or were not out of bounds. Jacobi learned a lesson about WordPress sites. We learned a lesson about the boundries of the hunt. Don't shame anyone for what they did not understand. Don't call us cheaters. We are just as eager as anyone else to discover the treasure.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:19:25 AM by russoc4 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
Okay, fair enough.  Thanks for the explanation.   :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:19 AM »
Well, to be fair, nothing has been solved, they just got access to some source files before the time. Those source files meant nothing without the decryption key in the big picture, but it did mean that they didnt have to solve any of the following puzzles to get all the source files. So the easy solution: reset the source files to contain a new puzzle, and they're back to square one.

"It's time to pick up the pieces, go back to square one."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »

Hi. I'm a regular on the Dream Theater Discord server (I use a different name there, but activation of the account is taking longer than I expected). I think that this treasure hunt is a fantastic idea and I'm excited that it's brought many fans across the forums, reddit, Discord, etc together to collaborate. We've seen a surge in people joining Discord thanks to it.

I came here to say that we (Discord members and Dream Theater fans all around) would rather not go down in history as cheaters, hackers, or as having maliciously ruined the hunt. This was an accident where the community and "Freddy Jacobi" can share the blame. And we all can learn from this.

When the first level of this treasure hunt was brought to the Discord server, I immediately considered it to be similar to the "notpron" puzzle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notpron, https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/Notpron). In this puzzle, you have to solve riddles to advanced to the next web page. Many of the riddles involve checking the page source and/or modifying URLs to advance. This is exactly what happened here. An ambitious treasure hunter found and modified URLs without knowing that this was out the bounds. I tried to do it too, but I wasn't as successful. To us, this seemed to be a normal part of the hunt, especially since Mr. Jacobi said "This puzzle will rely on logical skills, computer skills, and social skills." In fact, the first thing I did to contribute to the hunt was check the page source to discover that a Gronsfeld Cipher is involved; the clue was hidden as #FFFFFF colored text. No one said that this was hacking or cheating.

The person who crawled the website to find the URLs may or may not respond here. Either way, they apologize for what happened and assure us that it was a musunderstanding.

The exposure of the URLs was an oversight on Jacobi's part, and the discovery of the URLs was a result of our having no knowledge of what "computer skills" were or were not out of bounds. Jacobi learned a lesson about WordPress sites. We learned a lesson about the boundries of the hunt. Don't shame anyone for what they did not understand. Don't call us cheaters. We are just as eager as anyone else to discover the treasure.

Thank you.

I've played notpron as well or zest for that matter and I know what you're talking about. So, I get where all of you guys are coming from. It's just that the revealing too early was a little upsetting and I can understand it might have been so for Freddy Jacobi as well. All in all, we all want the same thing : for the enigma to be solved. Just not too soon.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
The Majesty image that Jacobi posted is a GIF with two frames.

If you change the whitest hue in the colour palette to some other colour(I chose red) and look at the first frame, it exposes text written using one of the other colours in the palette that appears identical to the white background(Palette entry #250, assume you count starting from 0). The text says https://vailrenovations84552723.wordpress.com/look/. It asks for a password. I tried using "GLASSPRISON", to no avail.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

If you change the whitest hue in the colour palette to some other colour(I chose red) and look at the first frame, it exposes text written using one of the other colours in the palette that appears identical to the white background(Palette entry #250, assume you count starting from 0). The text says https://vailrenovations84552723.wordpress.com/look/. It asks for a password. I tried using "GLASSPRISON", to no avail.

Nice job! So, we're missing the password.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »
Nice job! So, we're missing the password.
Looks like we aren't; I just had the capitalisation wrong. If you enter it as "GlassPrison", you get in. :)
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »

In that page it says PROTECTED: picture + words (at least that’s what I gather from the images posted there. So I assume the password has to do with a picture plus some word, maybe the letters in the other picture that was revealed

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »
In that page it says PROTECTED: picture + words (at least that’s what I gather from the images posted there. So I assume the password has to do with a picture plus some word, maybe the letters in the other picture that was revealed
Haha. Look again, I just had the capitalisation wrong. Use "GlassPrison" and you get in.

For the record, the contents of the page are as follows:
So you have solved the second puzzle. Well done. Do you like ciphers as much as I do?

Well, anyways, here’s the next piece of the puzzle.

The next puzzle will surely stump you. Pay attention to my social media and look for the keyword “sparrows”.

I see a very tiny S on the drum cymbal in the corner. Do also note that the letter on the first image has changed too; it's a D now...

Also note that the pictograms on the page with this image are a painting, a plus sign, and a speech bubble... Images And Words?
And the first page was called When Dream And Day Unite...
I wonder; if A Change Of Seasons is included, then we have a total of 14 DT studio releases so far, and one more on the way, so perhaps when we solve puzzle 15, we'll find out the name of the new album! :eek

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »

Never mind you already solved it

Offline Alpenglow

« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »

Never mind you already solved it

Yeah and that's Images and Words. The first page was When Dream and Day Unite. They're probably taking the album names chronologically.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
Haha. Look again, I just had the capitalisation wrong. Use "GlassPrison" and you get in.

For the record, the contents of the page are as follows:
So you have solved the second puzzle. Well done. Do you like ciphers as much as I do?

Well, anyways, here’s the next piece of the puzzle.

The next puzzle will surely stump you. Pay attention to my social media and look for the keyword “sparrows”.

I see a very tiny S on the drum cymbal in the corner. Do also note that the letter on the first image has changed too; it's a D now...

Also note that the pictograms on the page with this image are a painting, a plus sign, and a speech bubble... Images And Words?
And the first page was called When Dream And Day Unite...
I wonder; if A Change Of Seasons is included, then we have a total of 14 DT studio releases so far, and one more on the way, so perhaps when we solve puzzle 15, we'll find out the name of the new album! :eek

Even if it turns out you are wrong, that's some grade-A sleuthing right there.  :clap:

EDIT:  And just to clarify something from the get-go, me praising Robo or anyone else is not to say that I know that the answer is correct.  I DO know who Freddy Jacobi is, and I AM in on this whole thing.  But that being said, I don't know the answers to any of these and do not know where they are going, so I cannot tell any of you if you are right or wrong.  I haven't asked for any inside information, and I don't intend to.  And even if I did, I wouldn't tell you.   :P

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
Even if it turns out you are wrong, that's some grade-A sleuthing right there.  :clap:

EDIT:  And just to clarify something from the get-go, me praising Robo or anyone else is not to say that I know that the answer is correct.  I DO know who Freddy Jacobi is, and I AM in on this whole thing.  But that being said, I don't know the answers to any of these and do not know where they are going, so I cannot tell any of you if you are right or wrong.  I haven't asked for any inside information, and I don't intend to.  And even if I did, I wouldn't tell you.   :P
Haha. Thank you very much.

FWIW, I think the next thing we're supposed to be working on may be this image DT posted to their Twitter and Facebook...

The comment that comes with both is as follows:
Here’s a production shot - just in - of a one-of-a-kind, collectible piece we’re having custom-made just for DT fans. Guess what it is? [thinking emoji]

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
I'm way too dumb to solve any of this, but I have to say that this "Hunt" is an awesome idea! :tup

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2018, 12:41:36 PM »
Robo, you're VERY clever! And I had seen the image with the plastic thingies. Don't know what to do with them yet.

B.Lee

Edit : when saving the pic with the cymbal, the name that comes up is "2UdkaSd". Don't know what to do with it. Yet, there are 2 caps : U and S. The first letter was D (as it was changed). If we add the S on the cymbal, we have 4 letters. USDS! But we all knew Derek Sherinian was a US resident?!? :biggrin: I really suck at riddles.

B.Lee

Offline Hyrul

« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »
Edit : when saving the pic with the cymbal, the name that comes up is "2UdkaSd". Don't know what to do with it. Yet, there are 2 caps : U and S. The first letter was D (as it was changed). If we add the S on the cymbal, we have 4 letters. USDS! But we all knew Derek Sherinian was a US resident?!? :biggrin: I really suck at riddles.

B.Lee

The image name are generated by Imgur, which is where FJ now uploads them (instead of the website itself where you could bruteforce your way to)
So the names aren't any clues.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »

B.Lee

The image name are generated by Imgur, which is where FJ now uploads them (instead of the website itself where you could bruteforce your way to)
So the names aren't any clues.

I said it, I suck at riddles. :biggrin: Thanks for the info anyway.

B.Lee

Offline Blake

« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »

The person who crawled the website to find the URLs may or may not respond here. Either way, they apologize for what happened and assure us that it was a misunderstanding.

Thank you.

I'm a bit late to reply to this because my account needed to be activated, but I agree completely. It was I that found the images. It was an honest misunderstanding, and I am sorry. When I saw an image with one letter, and the hint that we needed to find the next URL, I assumed that we had to find more images hidden on the site to construct said URL. When I discovered the images sitting out in the open, that seemed to reinforce the idea that we were supposed to discover them, so I shared my findings. Now I understand that this was out of bounds, and it won't happen again. I apologize to Freddy Jacobi for making you redo the puzzles, and to everyone else for spoiling part of the surprise.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:49:51 PM by Blake »

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2018, 08:45:34 PM »
did someone overlay the images with that formula one already?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
And here I thought this was a troll originally...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2018, 10:10:42 PM »
So, are we assuming this whole hunt is going to lead us to the new album title and/or artwork? They haven’t recorded anything yet, so the chances are either that or song titles. Either way, just can’t wait to see what the end result is.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
Nothing’s even been recorded yet. I’d say it’s far too early for the titles/artwork to be revealed.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2018, 02:03:34 AM »
So, are we assuming this whole hunt is going to lead us to the new album title and/or artwork? They haven’t recorded anything yet, so the chances are either that or song titles. Either way, just can’t wait to see what the end result is.

The first solution did say itd take a few months to complete the hunt....