Author Topic: RIP Tom Petty  (Read 4160 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: RIP Tom Petty
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
growing up in the Valley, one block from Ventura Boulevard,  Freefallin' has a place in my heart.

He was actually my first real rock concert, at the Hollywood Bowl.

And, so many great tunes.  I love rocking out to Out in the Cold.  That is a killer tune.

Sad to reflect.  I played an all-Petty playlist last night in my personal remembrance, and it reminds me how many good songs he put out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
Damn Alcohol addiction made me miss show when he stopped by here.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:22 AM »
He had a lot of great songs, we used to cover Running Down A Dream, and Handle With Care (Traveling Wilbury's). Both fun songs. Full Moon Fever is a great album too, every song is good.
 Refugee and American Girl are a couple of cool classics, the list goes on..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Remember when Wings reruns were on USA network like 5 times a day? Good times.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
RIP Tom. I was never a huge fan but it can’t be denied how great of a song writer he truly was. There aren’t a lot of artists who have easily 10 or 12 songs that if they come on the radio, average joes know every word.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
Like many others here it seems, I was never a huge fan, but still respected his talent and how much he meant to so many people. My mom is a huge fan, so I've heard a lot of his music growing up, and it's very sad to see him go. RIP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
RIP Tom. I was never a huge fan but it can’t be denied how great of a song writer he truly was. There aren’t a lot of artists who have easily 10 or 12 songs that if they come on the radio, average joes know every word.

Very true.  Petty and Billy Joel are the first two people I thought of when I read your sentence.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »
My favorite TPHB song...by far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLpZWNyM0I
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
My favorite TPHB song...by far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLpZWNyM0I

Love it.  Such a great song, and such an odd guitar solo, yet it works.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Been listening to a lot of Petty this week and have been reminded of how good some of his songs are. Here Comes My Girl has such a killer chorus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
That awesome, my buddy was there and texted me about it.

I was lucky enough to work for UF when Tom Petty did his show there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCBsY-EnC7U), I got to see the whole thing off the side of the stage

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-petty-died-accidental-overdose-family-says-1076170

Sad that this is why he passed. I knew his history but I thought he had moved past that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »
I was at my mechanic yesterday, and while in the office American Girl came on the radio, and I was enjoying it. Then I remembered he died, and was immediately bummed out. Fuck mortality.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
I saw this thread and I thought Holy Shit Tom Petty died. I almost just called out to my wife. I totally forgot he passed away as well. I hear him daily on my store's intercom music, I completely blanked on his death.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Oh, and speaking of Tom Petty and my store's intercom music, another thing that comes on is some slacker's cover of Free Falling. Holy shit does that suck. Some dude and an acoustic totally mumbling the words. WTF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
His music's timeless in the sense that it feels like it could have been written at any point in the past forty years and still feel like it could have been written today. It's still weird that he's gone. Poor guy should not have been on tour with the condition he was in.

They're putting out a new album for him in September, An American Treasure. I think it's a two-disc standard and a four-disc deluxe with all the stuff that hadn't been released yet.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.