Author Topic: Wiring a home stereo (actually a computing question)...  (Read 780 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Wiring a home stereo (actually a computing question)...
« on: July 02, 2018, 11:32:54 PM »
... I don't know if this goes here or in "Music", but here's my question.  I just bought a Denon AVR-X2400H.   It has a network connection, and can be wireless or wired.   I was thinking that since my ultimate goal is to have all my music - CDs, DVDs (audio) and downloads - available on a NAS, I might want a wired connection instead of a wireless one.   I'm looking at roughly 60 to 75 feet of wiring, from unit to router.   I have to drill a hole in the floor (I would ordinarily take the time and pains to run through the wall, but the foundation and a slab are in the way, and so I have no choice).  I'd like the hole to be just big enough for the wire, so I will have to attach one end connector manually.

First, is my assumption correct, that I might see some benefit to a wired connection (either in avoiding signal/bandwidth problems with the router, or to prevent buffering)?
Second, do I need Cat5, Cat6, or Cat7?  Does it matter (it shouldn't, from what I know, but still...)
Third, how hard is it to wire in the connector on one end? I'd hate to introduce noise - sonic or metaphoric - to the cabling.
Fourth, anything else I should be concerned with/worried about?

Thanks in advance for your inputs. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:38:17 AM by Stadler »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wiring a home stereo...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:56:14 PM »
Jammindude can probably help here. He is our resident electrician. If he doesn't reply in the thread maybe shoot him a PM.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wiring a home stereo (actually a computing question)...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
Okay, so I know what my plan is:  I'm going to run about 35 feet plus or minus of Cat6a cable from my stereo to my router.   

Problem:  I have to drill a hole in my floor, so a "moulded end" cable isn't going to work.  I'm going to need to run the cable and hand-wire at least one end to the cable.   

Does anyone know where I can buy anywhere from 35 to 50 feet of Cat6a cable?    Are all ends created equal?   If I get a bag of 100 of the end connectors am I shooting myself in the foot?   I've always worked under the premise that "the chain is only as strong as the weakest link", so I don't want to spend a ton of money inly to put a shitty connector on the end and defeat the purpose of it all.

Any inputs?  Suggestions? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:27:55 AM »
Yea, go cat6.  Cat5 would work, but you aren't future proofing yourself with that cable as it's already outdated.  It's essentially the same cable though but the 8 copper lines inside are wrapped much tighter and can allow a 10G connection (although 10G over cat6 copper is not the greatest, but that's for high computing anyway). 

You can just buy a spool of 50ft cat 6 cable at like a home depot or similar.  Or just online.  But you can crimp the heads pretty easily, just need a crimping tool, also for like 10 bucks at a home depot.  You'll want to crimp it after you run it, for two reasons, you can run it to perfect length and you can make a hole in your floor just the size of the cable (and not too big so the head can't slide through it).  Or you can maybe buy an RJ45 coupler for the floor, similar to a power outlet.  I have one of those in my computer room that runs to my router. 

As for whether you need the wires at all... I'm going to say no.  Wireless should work fine for sending audio as long as the wireless connection is solid.  I'd honestly test out the wireless with it first before you start drilling.  I feel like at this point, you only want a wired connection for gaming at a high level.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
Yea, like cramx3 mentions, WiFi should be good for getting audio to your receiver. The only reason I can think of for running cable is if you're going to wind up with multiple connected devices at that location. Like a router, smart TV, stereo, Blu-Ray player, Roku, Xfinity box, PlayStation, etc.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »
So I shouldn't experience any buffering or nonsense like that with just music?   

Hmmm...  I don't want any more wires if I can help it.  Maybe I'll run the wire and see.  I can always use it for something else (I have a PS3 and an xBox360 in the same general location, which I'm hoping to upgrade sometime soon). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
You can stream full HD via netflix on wifi.  Audio should not be an issue at all.

If you have a few things in that one location, an idea could be buy a cheap switch.  Like a 20 dollar one with 10 ports or something.  Have the one wire ran from your router through the floor to the new switch in the location near all the tech.  Then wire everything to the switch if you wanted to get everything wired.  I'm not sure you need this, but that's an idea and what I have set up in my computer room since my brother and I experienced some issues with us both gaming on the wifi together.  Since we couldnt agree who got the last port and one cable from the basement to the room, just got the cheap switch and all our problems were solved.