Author Topic: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"  (Read 12900 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
I've been meaning to make a thread about this amazing band from Australia for almost a year now, but decided today was a good day to go ahead and give Teramaze some more exposure here at DTF.

Putting aside their two thrash-prog metal albums from the 90's, Teramaze is mostly known today for their three latest albums after reforming in the late 2000's (Anhedonia, Esoteric Symbolism and Her Halo). All three are top-quality albums, but also all very different and distinct works.

Anhedonia is the heaviest, typically sounding like a blend of Alice in Chains and Nevermore with splashes of Dream Theater and Karnivool here and there. Esoteric Symbolism is far more progressive, with a fair bit of Karnivool, TesseracT, Queensryche, Fates Warning, 90's Dream Theater and even a bit of Iced Earth all in the mix. Her Halo, on the other hand, features a different singer and acts more as a love letter to Parallels-era Fates Warning and especially Images & Words-era Dream Theater.

Now as the band works on finishing up their next album, Brett Rerekura (the original singer on Anhedonia and Esoteric Symbolism) has returned to the lead singer position. :metal

If you guys haven't heard Teramaze before, I highly recommend checking them out. Great, great band. :tup

"Bodies of Betrayal" (off of Esoteric Symbolism): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNP5zsvVGc8
"In Vitro" (off of Esoteric Symbolism): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81e0VIIeYHA
"Anhedonia" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VoQoDosARM
"Machines" (off of Anhedonia): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzDO1YISWQ
"Out of Subconscious" (off of Her Halo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLHhuApV28
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TERAMAZE Thread - Think "Karnivool meets 90's Dream Theater"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
I bought Her Halo, but I literally don't remember anything about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »

It's a great album imo, but I think Esoteric Symbolism is the band's best album to date. And the new album they're working on is going to sound mostly like that apparently, with elements of Anhedonia and Her Halo thrown in too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
I'll have to revisit it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »
Local boys .......and new album not far away.   Her Halo is more my taste than their older stuff - as you say the new album is apparently a mix of old and new so I am looking forward to that.

If you like them Mister it's also worth checking out the related band Damnations Day.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Big fan.  Her Halo was top 3 AOTY for 2015, which was a very strong year for music (for my tastes).  I've never had the chance to come across the old albums, but I gather I'm not missing much.  Very excited for the new album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:26:36 PM »
Became a bit of a fan when I was sent a song from Her Halo in my first roulette.  Picked up that album and it's very good, class stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
Big fan.  Her Halo was top 3 AOTY for 2015, which was a very strong year for music (for my tastes).  I've never had the chance to come across the old albums, but I gather I'm not missing much.  Very excited for the new album.

You're missing out on Anhedonia and Esoteric Symbolism. Both are fantastic albums, and I'd personally argue the latter is even better than Her Halo. But yeah, I'm definitely excited for the new album.

Became a bit of a fan when I was sent a song from Her Halo in my first roulette.  Picked up that album and it's very good, class stuff.

You should definitely check out Anhedonia and Esoteric Symbolism. You'd probably dig the heavier vibe on those albums. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:32:59 PM »
Heavier you say? Hmm...yeah that does sound right up my alley.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:46:20 PM »

Yep! Anhedonia is particularly heavier (Alice in Chains meets Nevermore with some Tool and DT thrown in), while Esoteric Symbolism isn't quite as heavy as Anhedonia, but is heavier than Her Halo and also the proggiest album they've done to date.

Anhedonia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VoQoDosARM
Machines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzDO1YISWQ

And you should especially check this song out...
Order Out of Chaos: https://youtu.be/fCrRatnu0OI
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:22:44 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 04:36:11 AM »

You're missing out on Anhedonia and Esoteric Symbolism. Both are fantastic albums, and I'd personally argue the latter is even better than Her Halo. But yeah, I'm definitely excited for the new album.

Yes, I've got those - it's the OLD albums from the 90s that you mention that I don't have.

And Kade... I definitely think you'd like Anhedonia more than Esoteric Symbolism.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 05:56:30 AM »

Yep! Anhedonia is particularly heavier (Alice in Chains meets Nevermore with some Tool and DT thrown in), while Esoteric Symbolism isn't quite as heavy as Anhedonia, but is heavier than Her Halo and also the proggiest album they've done to date.

Anhedonia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VoQoDosARM
Machines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzDO1YISWQ

And you should especially check this song out...
Order Out of Chaos: https://youtu.be/fCrRatnu0OI

That third song was very good but those first two is where it's at.  Can't believe how different they are to what I know on Her Halo.  Great riffing and really like the guys vocals.  Definitely hear some Tool influnece, also some Nevermore/Sanctuary influences too a little.  Will have to check that album out for sure.

Yes, I've got those - it's the OLD albums from the 90s that you mention that I don't have.

And Kade... I definitely think you'd like Anhedonia more than Esoteric Symbolism.

Going by the links from Mister Gold above, definitely seems that way mate.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 06:18:08 AM »

Ahhh, right. Yeah, I've listened to a few songs off of Doxology and Tears to Dust and while it was good, neither album really interested me much. I mainly think of the band as starting with Anhedonia onward myself.

That third song was very good but those first two is where it's at.  Can't believe how different they are to what I know on Her Halo.  Great riffing and really like the guys vocals.  Definitely hear some Tool influnece, also some Nevermore/Sanctuary influences too a little.  Will have to check that album out for sure.

Going by the links from Mister Gold above, definitely seems that way mate.

Yeah, Anhedonia is definitely up your alley more. However Esoteric Symbolism is still really, really killer imo. And yeah, Brett Rerekura is an amazing singer. Nathan Peachey was great on Her Halo and I bet he's got a promising career ahead of him, but I love how Brett sounds with Teramaze. Dude has this interesting quality to his voice that suits the band perfectly.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline krands85

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
"Bodies of Betrayal" (off of Esoteric Symbolism): Teramaze - "Bodies of Betrayal"
"Out of Subconscious" (off of Her Halo): Teramaze - Out Of Subconscious (Official Video)
Just listened to these 2 and they were brilliant, especially Bodies of Betrayal. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really looking forward to checking out some more of their stuff!  :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
"Bodies of Betrayal" (off of Esoteric Symbolism): Teramaze - "Bodies of Betrayal"
"Out of Subconscious" (off of Her Halo): Teramaze - Out Of Subconscious (Official Video)
Just listened to these 2 and they were brilliant, especially Bodies of Betrayal. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really looking forward to checking out some more of their stuff!  :metal

No problem! I'm glad to be giving the band more exposure. :tup Definitely check out Esoteric Symbolism first if you dig Bodies of Betrayal! :hefdaddy :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 12:19:43 AM »

It's a great album imo, but I think Esoteric Symbolism is the band's best album to date. And the new album they're working on is going to sound mostly like that apparently, with elements of Anhedonia and Her Halo thrown in too.

Of the three I have listened to (those three), Esoteric Symbolism is pure gold. Thanks again for telling me about this band. Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 09:53:04 PM »

Of the three I have listened to (those three), Esoteric Symbolism is pure gold. Thanks again for telling me about this band. Great stuff.

Glad to help! :metal

Can't wait to check out the new album once that's finally out there.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
I literally have no idea what to do when someone suggests a band for me to check out, and there is no wikipedia page for them.

I also go to youtube/spotify to actually listen to the music, but I like to do a quick wiki scan to learn about the band.

Music sounds pretty cool. Will put them in the "check this out at some point" queue.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 11:30:15 PM »
I literally have no idea what to do when someone suggests a band for me to check out, and there is no wikipedia page for them.

I also go to youtube/spotify to actually listen to the music, but I like to do a quick wiki scan to learn about the band.

Music sounds pretty cool. Will put them in the "check this out at some point" queue.

I'm the same way, usually. However a couple of my favorite bands out there right now (Teramaze and Witherfall) don't have Wikipedia pages, which is a shame.

But yeah, definitely check out more from Teramaze when you can!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »

Why I oughtta....  I shared a track from Her Halo with you after your roulette.  In fact, it's still sitting in the "Post Roulette - Cool Chris" Spotify playlist I shared with you.   :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
Huh, no kidding! What can I say, it's a long queue!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
I managed to pick up most of the catalog on CD, and filled in some gaps digitally (missing the EP and the entirety of the first album). What a great band. Without having heard the second album at all yet, I have to say that yeah, I think they really found who they are starting with Anhedonia. That record is a little thrashier. Esoteric Symbolism gets a little moodier and proggier, and Her Halo modernizes it all a little bit. I'm very curious to see what they've come up with this time.

I'm happy the band is back with the original singer. While Her Halo was outstanding, and the singer is great, I prefer the original guy. I think his voice is a little fuller, and has an edge to it.

Dynamite band.

I wish the Web was a bit more complete with info on these guys though. No Wikipedia page, the band's website has no history to speak of, and while a couple of sites have their albums listed and some reviews, it's like Teramaze has no real presence, despite being around for 20+ years. They need to change that.

Here's hoping they can tour the States...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
I managed to pick up most of the catalog on CD, and filled in some gaps digitally (missing the EP and the entirety of the first album). What a great band. Without having heard the second album at all yet, I have to say that yeah, I think they really found who they are starting with Anhedonia. That record is a little thrashier. Esoteric Symbolism gets a little moodier and proggier, and Her Halo modernizes it all a little bit. I'm very curious to see what they've come up with this time.

Yeah, same here. I've heard a fair chunk of samples from demos and unfinished clips on the band's Facebook page for awhile. So far it matches the band's description for the new album: More of a return to Esoteric Symbolism overall, but also much heavier than that album and features some of the polish and shine that Her Halo demonstrated.

Jonah Weingarten (Pyramaze and We Are Sentinels) also joined the band as their new keyboardist last year and the samples show a very different side to his playing. He's channeling the Ghost of 90's Kevin Moore in a few of those clips on the upcoming Teramaze album.

I'm happy the band is back with the original singer. While Her Halo was outstanding, and the singer is great, I prefer the original guy. I think his voice is a little fuller, and has an edge to it.

Agreed. Nathan did a wonderful job on Her Halo, but I think Brett fits this new material better. Plus guitarist Dean Wells is a talented singer in his own right and his voice bears somewhat of a resemblance to Nathan's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-C3IosO74 (Winger cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRc73ynI0-w (Brief Sample of Dean singing some lead vocal parts for the new album)

I wish the Web was a bit more complete with info on these guys though. No Wikipedia page, the band's website has no history to speak of, and while a couple of sites have their albums listed and some reviews, it's like Teramaze has no real presence, despite being around for 20+ years. They need to change that.

Here's hoping they can tour the States...

Completely agreed, although to be fair, the band more or less rebooted itself entirely when it reformed in the late 00's. Still been about ten years so they definitely should focus on establishing a more prominent presence online.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 04:33:29 PM »
Personally, I prefer Nathan.  Her Halo was virtually flawless imo.  They were gonna play PPUSA last year, but then Dean got ill and they couldn't work it out with a replacement on short notice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
So wait a minute. How many singer's do they have??

What's the deal?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »

What's the deal?

They cut their most recent singer, brought back old singer - the guitarist sings too but he also sounds like their old singer (who was their current singer up until recently)

Got it?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
Sounds like this band has had a complex history, some line-up changes... I think I should check out their Wikipedia page and learn more about their biography....

Seriously old timers, what did we do when someone said to check out a new band? Was everything we ever knew confined to album liner notes?

Reminds me of 1997 when I bought Falling into Infinity, and saw the picture of a new guy listed under 'Keyboards." Who the heck was Derek Shereininananwhatever and what happened to Kevin Moore?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »

What's the deal?

They cut their most recent singer, brought back old singer - the guitarist sings too but he also sounds like their old singer (who was their current singer up until recently)

Got it?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
Yeah, Teramaze has had quite a few lineup changes over the years. The way the band describes it at this point is this: Teramaze is "Dean and Friends."

Dean Wells basically is Teramaze- the lineups may always be different, but he's the one writing all the music, vocal melodies, lyrics and such. Brett is the only other member who's lasted anywhere near as long, having been the band's original singer all the way back in the 90's on Doxology.

As far as I can tell though, most of these lineup changes seem to happen on relatively positive notes. Nathan, for instance, left the band on a classy note and is still good friends with the rest of the band. Same thing happened when Brett left too, I think.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
Tim,

Not that confusing. Original singer performed on pretty much everything until Her Halo, when a new singer stepped in. After Her Halo, that singer left, and they brought back the original singer. And the guitar player/songwriter Dean is the mastermind behind the band, and can also sing well.

Not much to be confused about. The original singer and Dean are pretty much the band, from what I have read and put together.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
Back when I listened to Christian music, I had Tears to Dust. I don't remember how it sounds like but I do remember really loving that CD. I had no idea this band was still around. I'll have to go on The Tubes and look for that old album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
Back when I listened to Christian music, I had Tears to Dust. I don't remember how it sounds like but I do remember really loving that CD. I had no idea this band was still around. I'll have to go on The Tubes and look for that old album.

Teramaze broke up not long after Tears to Dust, but they reformed in the late 00's and have massively reinvented themselves since releasing Anhedonia in 2012. For all intents and purposes, that album could basically be considered a "reboot" of the band. Very different sounding from Doxology and Tears to Dust and starts as a more traditional starting point for all of the newer Teramaze albums.

As for Tears to Dust itself, I've only heard a couple of songs off of it. Shadows wasn't bad, but not anything that really stood out to me the same way as the band's newer stuff does.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
Huh, I didn't realise the bloke that sang on Her Halo is gone.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »

Teramaze broke up not long after Tears to Dust, but they reformed in the late 00's and have massively reinvented themselves since releasing Anhedonia in 2012. For all intents and purposes, that album could basically be considered a "reboot" of the band. Very different sounding from Doxology and Tears to Dust and starts as a more traditional starting point for all of the newer Teramaze albums.

As for Tears to Dust itself, I've only heard a couple of songs off of it. Shadows wasn't bad, but not anything that really stood out to me the same way as the band's newer stuff does.

I picked up Tears to Dust a week ago. It pales in comparison to the run of Anhedonia, Esoteric Symbolism, and Her Halo. Almost like a different band. Not sure who the hell sings on Tears to Dust either. It's not their "classic" singer who did vocals on Anhedonia and Esoteric (who is also back and doing vocals on the next one) or the guy on Her Halo.

My suggestion would be just get Anhedonia, Esoteric and Her Halo, and that's really all you need. Three really great records. Looking forward to the next one.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!  Digging these guys! Listening on crappy puter speakers at work... :lol  Can't wait to get in my car after work and really put it to the test... :metal :metal :metal

Downloaded Esoteric Symbolism  :hat

**edit - HOLY CRAP!!  Just let youtube keep going and it moved to a band called Earthside? Album called "A Dream in Static"  Great stuff also!!!!!
/threadjack off.... :lol
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:57:54 PM by CrimsonSunrise »