Poll

Pick One!

Haken's 5th Studio Album
Dream Theater's 14th Studio Album

Author Topic: Whose next album are you more excited for - Haken OR Dream Theater?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline The Letter M

Simple question - just curious how fans of these bands feel about both coming up with new studio albums in the next year or so. Both bands are currently in the studio, perhaps at various stages of writing/recording, but it's likely that both albums will coming out in the next 12 months, probably in 2019 (unless I've missed any information otherwise - I haven't kept up with DT news AT ALL lately other than a video I saw them post on YouTube in the last week).

And no, there's no option for "both", or "neither" - just pick the one you're more excited for!

EDIT - Title changed to reflect the news that Haken's next album will be out before the end of 2018, but could still take up to 6 months before release!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:46:26 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline mikeyd23

Haken has never really done it for me. So DT I guess.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Haken has never really done it for me. So DT I guess.

This. If they had a better singer than Ross, it would probably be Haken, though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Haken is not even on my radar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Of HAKEN has a Fórum and you post this question The te, what do hoy think it si going yo be the answers

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Of HAKEN has a Fórum and you post this question The te, what do hoy think it si going yo be the answers

He speaks Kingshmeglish!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

I think it's a fair question. Lots of crossover between the DT fans and Haken fans, we saw it for years at MP's board and I see it here, too! It's better than "DT's next album vs. Adele's" :) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

He speaks Kingshmeglish!

Yo shutt u hore mout.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

I'm guessing Ministro had the Spanish autocorrection on his phone activated ;)

And Marc, this is absolutely NOT a simple question! I love both bands, Haken have evolved into one of my favorite bands... But DT is DT but Haken is awesome but DT but

SHIT
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
While I am hopeful that I will like the next DT more than the last, and while I like what I've seen of their process so far and it gives me hope, I'm easily more excited for Haken coming off what they've done with The Mountain and Affinity. And you haven't missed any info yet, but I have an interview coming out tomorrow that will be revising your timeframe. ;)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dave_Manchester

Haken are very good, but Dream Theater are Dream Theater. So DT's my answer. There's no other release on the musical calender I look forward to more.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Haken. DT haven't done much that I like in a while, unfortunately.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
considering the last two DT albums are among their weakest, and the last two haken albums are their best followed by a still pretty solid album, not a hard decision

Offline ronnibran

DT by miles, I’ve not been able to get into Haken at all.

Offline Lethean

Haken are very good, but Dream Theater are Dream Theater. So DT's my answer. There's no other release on the musical calender I look forward to more.
Pretty much this. :)

Offline The Letter M

While I am hopeful that I will like the next DT more than the last, and while I like what I've seen of their process so far and it gives me hope, I'm easily more excited for Haken coming off what they've done with The Mountain and Affinity. And you haven't missed any info yet, but I have an interview coming out tomorrow that will be revising your timeframe. ;)

You have my attention... :lol

If their new album drops this calendar year, I'll be very surprised, but pleasantly so!

-Marc
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Haken, and it's not even close anymore.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Yeah, this. While I'll never deny the special place DT has had in my heart for the last 25+ years, Haken has really taken a solid hold of me since The Mountain, and especially since seeing them live.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
DT. Haken is overrated as fuck.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Boom.  I'll buy DT, even if not first day, I won't be buying any Haken.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

He speaks Kingshmeglish!

Yo shutt u hore mout.

My god.   I read that and understood it clearly.   

My god. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

This.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
While Haken is nice and has grown on me lately, it's DT all the way.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haken

DT has left me cold with the last couple of releases, definitely with TA.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pettor

Yeah DT without any doubt for me. From my perspective Haken seems to be a great alternative to DT for many but for me they are quite far apart. Different sounds and Haken does not fill any DT void for me. But having two possibly good prog metal albums next year is gonna be awesome ofc!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
I would vote for both if I could. Dream Theater's my all time favorite....but Haken has the best first four album run that I have ever heard.

Can't wait to hear what's next for both bands.

Offline Fritzinger

Please, name arguments for this statement?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

I've only liked one song by them on their debut, and while I haven't heard all their albums, The last one I did listen to was Visions, and that left no impression. Any singles afterwards have been boring, and they recorded one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Talented guys, but like Beyonce, that means dick if you can't write a decent song. Even Celestial Elixir isn't perfect. I don't get their appeal. Dream Theater may be spinning their wheels, but we still get some great melodic, catchy tunes from them. Of course, this is all subjective, but there are my reasons for thinking they're overrated.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Best post ever.

I voted Haken, because I've been excitingly following them since 2010 and while I have been a fan of DT for longer, the last album of theirs I really looked forward to was ADTOE (which was solid, but nothing ground-breaking). While I wouldn't really call Haken 'ground-breaking' either, they manage to convey some sense of excitement and fun in their music and live shows that Dream Theater doesn't really do anymore. I voted Haken, but I'll be listening to both obviously.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

I've only liked one song by them on their debut, and while I haven't heard all their albums, The last one I did listen to was Visions, and that left no impression. Any singles afterwards have been boring, and they recorded one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Talented guys, but like Beyonce, that means dick if you can't write a decent song. Even Celestial Elixir isn't perfect. I don't get their appeal. Dream Theater may be spinning their wheels, but we still get some great melodic, catchy tunes from them. Of course, this is all subjective, but there are my reasons for thinking they're overrated.

Listen to The Architect please. Best Haken song by far and can hang with DT's very best.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fritzinger

Listen to The Architect please. Best Haken song by far and can hang with DT's very best.

Thisthisthis, probably my favorite Haken song ever. The Architect is such a beast!

Which song do you mean by one of the worst songs ever, Zook?
Is it worse than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haECT-SerHk ?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Thisthisthis, probably my favorite Haken song ever. The Architect is such a beast!

Which song do you mean by one of the worst songs ever, Zook?
Is it worse than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haECT-SerHk ?

Cockroach King.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
And you haven't missed any info yet, but I have an interview coming out tomorrow that will be revising your timeframe. ;)
:omg:

ontopic: Definitely Haken. They have yet to release an album that doesn't amaze me.

Offline kaos2900

As much as I love Haken there will always be more excitement for me around Dream Theater. Plus I want to see where they go next after the Astonishing.