Poll

Your favorite band work by Ronnie James Dio?

Rainbow
19 (42.2%)
Black Sabbath
14 (31.1%)
Dio
12 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Your favorite band work by Ronnie James Dio?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your favorite band work by Ronnie James Dio?
« on: June 19, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
What's your pick here?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Your favorite band work by Ronnie James Dio?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
Rainbow and it's not even close.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
Not disregarding the countless masterpieces he wrote with Iommi, and the stellar songs of his solo albums, Rainbow has to win with this. Those three albums made with Blackmore still tower above countless bands inspired by that style and those songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »
I haven't heard everything by any of these bands but from what I know, Dio's solo group just barely edges out Rainbow, and I'll take both over Dio in Sabbath any day.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
All 3 were amazing, but the first two albums that he did with BS are nearly flawless. Considering how poor the last couple of efforts with Ozzy were before that, the absolute perfection that they made with Ronnie shine that much more.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
If I am drafting the albums I go:

Holy Diver
Heaven And Hell
On Stage
Last In Line
Rainbow album
Mob Rules
Rainbow album
Lock Up The Wolves
Rainbow album
Dehumanizer
Dream Evil

To me, the three Rainbow albums are equal in my eyes. I mean they are all half killer half filler. I may give the nod to Rising because of the 2 songs (Stargazer/LITB).

It's a tough choice. I'm not sure I could choose. I could make a Top 10 song list from each band that I would like equally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
Sabbath.

The band became so much more amazing with Ronnie singing, and those three four (including Heaven & Hell) albums with him are all equally incredible. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:13:20 PM by Grappler »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
To me, the three Rainbow albums are equal in my eyes. I mean they are all half killer half filler.

Yeah, that's the only "problem" with the Rainbow albums, all three records are full of awesome masterpieces but there's not an album that hasn't an average or two tracks here and there. I can't really name my favorite Rainbow album because of this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »
For me it's really close between his solo band and Sabbath.

Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules & Holy Diver/Last in Line are pretty much the definition of classic heavy metal. If I had to give someone an example of classic metal, I would hand them these albums.

I would have to give the edge to Sabbath. I respect the Ozzy Sabbath era and like it, but I think the band entered a whole new level when Dio came on board.

But I will also say the Rainbow era is spectacular too.

Regardless, Ronnie James Dio  :metal :metal :metal :metal  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online Mladen

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
Sabbath, even though I love his solo work as well. Rainbow is, of course, classic too.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
Sabbath
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
Solo... though I'm sadly not as versed in the entirety of RJD as I should be.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
Sabbath.
Rainbow is too "rock n'rolly", and Dio Band is cheesy.

Offline Art

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
Black Sabbath

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
Dio.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »
The only thing Dio related that I just couldn't get into was the band Elf. I tried, and the music is ok, but it just wasn't my thing at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »
Haha, I was going to ask "What about Elf?"

This is Rainbow.    Yeah, there may be a duff track or two on each album (though not on Rising, and only "LA Connection" on LLRnR) but there are no duff ALBUMS,  I'm sorry, but as good as Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are, Dehumanizer and Heaven and Hell are not on that level (they were made after Iommi became "Riff-Master General" and those albums had to fall in line with that) and as legendary as the first two Dio records are (Holy Diver STILL holds up) and as much as I like some of the later Goldy stuff, I don't think the material from "Lock Up The Wolves" on is at the same level. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 03:59:44 PM »
Stadler.....Lock Up The Wolves is awesome, and Rising only has 2 songs on it. There.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
Stadler.....Lock Up The Wolves is awesome, and Rising only has 2 songs on it. There.
Yeah, Lock Up the Wolves is great. As is Magica. Aside from those two damn near everything else was iffy, at best. The Traci G and Doug Aldrich eras were both pretty weak.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
I'm sadly not as versed in the entirety of RJD as I should be.

#metoo

I've wondered if Dio was hurt, if that is at all possible, by not being the most identifiable member of a legendary band. Ozzy will be the vocalist most people will immediately associate with Sabbath, and Rainbow and Elf were never top tier bands, despite popularity in their niches. Of course Ronnie is legendary enough in his own right among metal fans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
Yeah, Lock Up the Wolves is great. As is Magica. Aside from those two damn near everything else was iffy, at best. The Traci G and Doug Aldrich eras were both pretty weak.

Strange Highways is pretty decent but Angry Machines blows.

I like Killing The Dragon, but I feel like I have to let down my Dio Standards to do so.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 05:47:40 PM »
I've wondered if Dio was hurt, if that is at all possible, by not being the most identifiable member of a legendary band. Ozzy will be the vocalist most people will immediately associate with Sabbath, and Rainbow and Elf were never top tier bands, despite popularity in their niches. Of course Ronnie is legendary enough in his own right among metal fans.

For me, my intro to Black Sabbath was Heaven And Hell.

To me, Ozzy has basically blown his image in my book. The classic albums remain fantastic, but Ronnie was truly special.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »

Yep, same here. In fact, Heaven & Hell was my introduction to metal as a whole about ten and a half years ago!

I love Dio's work with Rainbow and his own solo band, Rising in particular is one of the absolute greatest albums ever made, but I'm always going to associate him first and foremost as the singer of Black Sabbath.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »

Yep, same here. In fact, Heaven & Hell was my introduction to metal as a whole about ten and a half years ago!

Was about 38 and a half years ago for me. :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »

Was about 38 and a half years ago for me. :lol

Not much farther back in the Time Machine than where I started off... relatively speaking. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »

To me, Ozzy has basically blown his image in my book. The classic albums remain fantastic, but Ronnie was truly special.

I don't disagree about Ozzy (reality TV is a killer for image, even if it does shift units) but not the Sabbath part.  My first intro into the Sabbath world was "Blizzard of Ozz", and from that, I went back into Sabbath, starting with Vol. 4 and then Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, then from there on.   So I was always an "Ozzy first" kind of guy.  Still am, actually.  I don't think there's a bad Ozzy Sabbath record at all.  Not one.  Duff tracks maybe, but not a bad album.  Can't say that about Dio Sabbath (the last two haven't really sunk in, though I will admit that last time I listened to Dehumanizer it was way better than I remembered.  Meaning, "okay" instead of "shit".)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »
Rainbow all the way.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
I think I'm going with Rainbow > solo > Sabbath.

The volume of work with Sabbath is just too small to beat out the others.  I don't really agree with the "half killer/half filler" comments about the Rainbow albums (except as it relates to On Stage and Live in Germany).  I don't think there's any filler on LLRnR, and the only bad song on Rising is "Do You Close Your Eyes."  Holy Diver is an all time classic, but the quality went downhill pretty quickly, with each subsequent album being worse than the album that came before.  I bought Lock up the Wolves, but it was pretty bad, and I never bought another Dio album after that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »
Tricky one as all three were awesome but Rising exists, so 🌈

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
You left out Ronnie and the Red Caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew8MUT00aK0    :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

As much as I loved the Rainbow stuff, I have to go with Sabbath. When he joined Sabbath, he elevated an already legendary band. And that style and sound paved the way for all of his solo stuff.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
Elf!
:neverusethis:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 11:00:37 AM »
Elf by far.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Man...this is a tough one.  Just by bodies of work I think Rainbow wins the day.  That being said, my top 5 Dio albums....

1. Heaven and Hell
2. Rainbow - On Stage
3. Last in Line
4. Rainbow Rising
5. Tie between -  Holy Diver and Dehumanizer.