Poll

Soccer vs American Football?

Soccer (Association football)
29 (52.7%)
American Football
26 (47.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Soccer vs American Football?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Soccer vs American Football?
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
If you could get an advantage for your team by diving (as unfair as it is) in american football, the players would fall to the ground faster than you could look.

It's not that soccer players are more sissies than other players in other sports, it's because they try to cheat. And now don't try to tell me that in other sports people don't try to cheat. They just don't get an advantage by falling down easily.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is good, it is in fact the one thing that I hate about soccer.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »
Fun Fact: I know a photographer that's on the NY Giant's payroll during the season. He got a killer sequence shot of that guy making that catch. He put four of photos in chronological order in a frame and sold it to the guy for $10K. In the off season he gets press passes everywhere. I've watched a game at Fenway from the press box with him.

That's really cool, I have a plaque in my basement with a picture of the catch and a ticket from the game (not mine, bought the thing at a sports collector store). 

My advice: Don't watch it if you don't like it. But don't begrudge others who enjoy extreme athletes running 10ks each game and still manage to dance with the ball on the pitch.

Yea pretty much this.   We all like what we like and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you could get an advantage for your team by diving (as unfair as it is) in american football, the players would fall to the ground faster than you could look.

It's not that soccer players are more sissies than other players in other sports, it's because they try to cheat. And now don't try to tell me that in other sports people don't try to cheat. They just don't get an advantage by falling down easily.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is good, it is in fact the one thing that I hate about soccer.

Yea, every sports there are cheaters, but in American football, the cheater is going to hit you hard not take a fall (well, yea that happens too, but typically its a more aggressive behavior when the player is trying to cheat in that sport).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
I get it - boring, no action, etc. etc. - but  there are two glaring falsehoods in this thread:   

- that soccer  is a sissy game;
- that soccer players dive because they're pussies.

There's not one person in this thread that could last more than the first five minutes of a match, and as Kwyjibo said, they dive because there is an advantage in doing so. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
... and as Kwyjibo said, they dive because there is an advantage in doing so. 

Sometimes, but there are optics too. While they are playing to win and not entertain us, lots of people are put off by it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
There are plenty of reasons to dislike soccer, but dives happen everywhere. It's part of the game. Any punter that doesn't fall, roll around clenching his knee, and scream like a little girl when he even smells a rusher doesn't deserve a roster spot.

And sometimes it even works.

Watch the fist-pump when he sees the flag's coming.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 03:45:02 PM »
Gotta love this NHL ref's response to James Neal taking a dive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCcB30Zc2Q
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
There are plenty of reasons to dislike soccer, but dives happen everywhere. It's part of the game. Any punter that doesn't fall, roll around clenching his knee, and scream like a little girl when he even smells a rusher doesn't deserve a roster spot.

And no one likes when that happens either.  But I wonder if we can get a count of flops per game between all the sports.  I'd bet soccer tops the list, followed by basketball, maybe hockey then football next.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »
Football (soccer as you call it) every day of the week.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 04:09:08 PM »

I'm partial to this rugby one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WMOHm01oKc
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »

I'm partial to this rugby one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WMOHm01oKc

It's blocked in my country.
If you're like me you wouldn't have understood it anyway. I was going to ask XJ for a translation but thankfully somebody provided one in the comments.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »
How often to do you see something like this in soccer?

I am somewhat stunned at your comment here. Soccer is chock-full of amazing aerial stunts like this, I would argue far more than in Football. Can I presume you have never actually watched a full soccer game?

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
The stamina for gunners are second to none.  American football is still my favorite but I love watching soccer for m as my reasons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 05:22:53 PM »
Outdoor soccer doesn't have a lot of scoring, but the goals are amazing more often than not.

That said, I still prefer American football.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
Outdoor soccer doesn't have a lot of scoring, but the goals are amazing more often than not.

That said, I still prefer American football.

Indoor football also has a lot of crazy plays.  But no one prefers that  :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 05:34:15 PM »
Canadian Football also got some wacky rules, itself, but of course, no one cares about that outside of, uhhhhh, Canada (PS, I love Canada.)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »

Never. That'd be a penalty. :neverusethis:

Honestly though, soccer players are capable of unbelievable feats of athleticism, to deny them that via a one handed catch gif is simply ignorant.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »

And no one likes when that happens either.  But I wonder if we can get a count of flops per game between all the sports.  I'd bet soccer tops the list, followed by basketball, maybe hockey then football next.

Add every shortstop when a runner comes in hard during a double play, and half the players in the NBA when called on to actually play defense... the only sport where it's not too too bad is hockey, because you can get hurt diving (skates are sharp) and many penalties are delayed until the called team gets possession of the puck. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »
Spending all that time watching a game for it to end 0-0?  No thanks. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »
Soccer has fewer goals/points than most other sports, that makes each goal and the attempt to score that much more exciting.

What's the use of cheering for a point in basketball when there will be probably a hundred more?  ;)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2018, 05:10:11 AM »
Spending all that time watching a game for it to end 0-0?  No thanks.

How is that any different than a basket ball game that ends 100-100 though?

It's not the amount of goals but the importance of the goals. Half the charm in football is that 1 goal can mean a lot and completely change the game. It's not like basketball or american football where one team gets points and then the other team gets points from their next attack.

I still like american football quite a lot despite the detriments (more breaks than actual playtime, very jump-start-y) just as i like football despite its flaws (cheating like diving or taking a long time gets a pass too often)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »
The scores or lack of scores doesn't bother me.  0-0, 100-100, doesn't mean shit IMO.  It's about the game itself.  I've seen enough low scoring or high scoring games that were terrible in all sports.  The gameplay itself is what determines if it was a good game IMO, which can happen in a 0-0 game in soccer, or in the NFL, sometimes a 7-3 game is a fantastic defensive struggle, where the one big play changes the game.

Add every shortstop when a runner comes in hard during a double play, and half the players in the NBA when called on to actually play defense... the only sport where it's not too too bad is hockey, because you can get hurt diving (skates are sharp) and many penalties are delayed until the called team gets possession of the puck. 

Sidney Crosby?  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »

Never. That'd be a penalty. :neverusethis:

Honestly though, soccer players are capable of unbelievable feats of athleticism, to deny them that via a one handed catch gif is simply ignorant.
I didn't deny that. In fact I conceded it in my post. I watched some highlight reals last night and saw some great stuff. That doesn't alter the point that you watch a football game and you see many of these. You watch a soccer game and you see 90 minutes of boredom and 2 minutes of excitement interspersed and maybe a spectacular kick or save if you're lucky. I'm rarely lucky in that regard.

To address Rumbo's point, I'm not going to sit and watch a 2.5 hour soccer game, a 4 hour marathon, or a 4 hour NASCAR race. All are things best seen via highlight reels. At the same time I live in a Mexican city. Soccer is inescapable. It's on TVs everywhere you go. I see plenty of it, and one thing I never see is some guy making a highlight reel karate-kick when it happens in realtime.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
There's your karate kick  ;D

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
There's not one person in this thread that could last more than the first five minutes of a match, and as Kwyjibo said, they dive because there is an advantage in doing so.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
Exactly.  :)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »

Not to counter your example but your comment just reminded me of this spectacular goal I saw in a game last month.

Sigh, the biennual "lol, all soccer players are sissies and only dive". How imaginative. The fact that they are entirely unprotected and nonetheless keep playing with broken feet, dislocated shoulders or blatant consussions doesn't matter.

When you see soccer being played at the top level it is sublime what those people can do. It is the "beautiful game" as Pele put it.

Well put.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 02:30:44 AM »
Too soon dude.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
American Football hands down.  Why?  Cause I'm American and it's what I was raised on.  I played soccer in school as a kid and enjoyed it.  But as a spectator sport it bores me to death.  The game and athelete's are absolutley incredible, just not my cup 'O tea.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
Last one. I promise.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:44 PM »
I love both.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:45 PM »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »