Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78358 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
Time for a new thread, yes?

Draft is coming up soon. Where will LeBron sign?  Who will the Warriors add to their team? 

Let's do this.  :coolio

Old thread here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50394.0 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:10:58 AM by KevShmev »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Can the Warriors 3-peat?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
Time for a new thread, yes?

Draft is coming up soon. Where will LeBron sign?  Who will the Warriors add to their team? 

Let's do this.  :coolio

Will the NBA refs ever call a travel?  Stay tuned!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
I think if a player takes a 4th step, they might call a travel.

A 5th if that player is a superstar.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:15:28 AM »
@ LeBron... stay in Cleveland and don't join and ruin my Lakers! Lol!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 05:49:45 AM »

You mean "please make them relevant again," right? ;)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 06:13:22 AM »
I honestly have no idea where LeBron's going to be playing next year. I think his heart is telling him to stay in Cleveland, but his head is telling him to get away from Dan Gilbert. If that's the case, LA, San Antonio, Houston, Miami and Philly all come into play. Should be interesting. And if he leaves, it shouldn't go over as poorly as the decision did in 2010. At least he got 'em a ring.

The Warriors are incredible... but I hope that there are far less injuries next year. It's incredible how far Boston got with their injuries. Sucked that Chris Paul got hurt when he did. Sucks that whatever happened to Kawai Leonard happened to him. Would love to see the Warriors play these teams at their best.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:25:28 AM »
I honestly have no idea where LeBron's going to be playing next year. I think his heart is telling him to stay in Cleveland, but his head is telling him to get away from Dan Gilbert. If that's the case, LA, San Antonio, Houston, Miami and Philly all come into play. Should be interesting. And if he leaves, it shouldn't go over as poorly as the decision did in 2010. At least he got 'em a ring.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't go over as poorly.  If he were to go to a third team now, it kind of smacks of him just whoring himself out.  I mean, ultimately, he doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself on that front, so who cares what others think.  But speaking solely in terms of perception, I'm not sure there wouldn't be just as strong a reaction among some as when he left the first time.

The Warriors are incredible... but I hope that there are far less injuries next year. It's incredible how far Boston got with their injuries. Sucked that Chris Paul got hurt when he did. Sucks that whatever happened to Kawai Leonard happened to him. Would love to see the Warriors play these teams at their best.

Yes.  But a lot of people also seem to have collective amnesia and forget all the Warriors injuries as well.  Each and every one of their "big 4," as well as Iguodala and others on their bench missed major time this season due to injury, with Steph missing a long stretch at the end of the season and into the playoffs, and Iguodala missing the latter half of the Houston series and first half of the Cleveland series.  I mean, we kind of know what a "healthy Rockets vs. healthy Warriors" game looks like.  It looks a lot like game 1 of the Rockets/Warriors series, which the Warriors won handily.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
It’s too soon to start making prediction. I’ll wait until August when all major moves will be done with.

As of right now I don’t think Lebron Stays with the Cavs.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Kev, I edited your post to include a link to the old thread right up front in case people need to refer back.  Old thread is locked, but still exists for reference.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »

You mean "please make them relevant again," right? ;)

If I have to listen to one more "Lebron and every other good player in the NBA will be signing with the Lakers this off-season" conversation on SoCal sports talk radio, I may have to do some serious bodily harm to someone.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »

I'm not so sure it wouldn't go over as poorly.  If he were to go to a third team now, it kind of smacks of him just whoring himself out.  I mean, ultimately, he doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself on that front, so who cares what others think.  But speaking solely in terms of perception, I'm not sure there wouldn't be just as strong a reaction among some as when he left the first time.

Yes.  But a lot of people also seem to have collective amnesia and forget all the Warriors injuries as well.  Each and every one of their "big 4," as well as Iguodala and others on their bench missed major time this season due to injury, with Steph missing a long stretch at the end of the season and into the playoffs, and Iguodala missing the latter half of the Houston series and first half of the Cleveland series.  I mean, we kind of know what a "healthy Rockets vs. healthy Warriors" game looks like.  It looks a lot like game 1 of the Rockets/Warriors series, which the Warriors won handily.

Let's not pretend that an injury to an Iguodala even remotely comes close to losing Hayward on opening night, or Irving before the playoffs. With the Warriors, the only way I'd feel sorry for them is if two of the three "guys" were out for the year.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »

Not so sure about that. I think most of the NBA is expecting him to make a move and at this point the only fans who would be butthurt would be Cavs fans, and even they have to thank him for giving them a Championship. The truth is Durant going to the Warriors broke the NBA, there is no way Lebron can compete against that juggernaut with the current cast and the Cavs no longer have good assets to rebuild on the fly like they did the last 2 seasons.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »
@DoC:  No, that ONE specific injury does not directly compare to Boston losing those two players.  But the cumulative effect of losing all 5* starters AND a few other bench players is pretty significant.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
And apparently Kawhi wants out of the Spurs. I never expected this team to have such a mess in their hands. Wonder what happened.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »
Kawhi’s uncle happened, and has been feeding him some bullshit.

I’m also being very spiteful, and he could be a decent human being.

Online romdrums

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
Honestly, I don't think Cavs fans will be that upset with Lebron if he decides to take his talents elsewhere.  He got the city a championship.  I think most smart Cavs fans will realize that Dan Gilbert is the problem.  The rage was justified the first time around, but I think the fans will be a bit more understanding this time around.  There will be the crazies, of course, but that championship will soothe a lot of the pain.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 07:54:21 AM »
Honestly, I don't think Cavs fans will be that upset with Lebron if he decides to take his talents elsewhere.  He got the city a championship.  I think most smart Cavs fans will realize that Dan Gilbert is the problem.  The rage was justified the first time around, but I think the fans will be a bit more understanding this time around.  There will be the crazies, of course, but that championship will soothe a lot of the pain.

That's exactly how I perceive it. We shall see.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
Dwight Howard got traded to the Nets... dreams do come true, I guess? Lol! IIRC, didn't D12 want to be traded to the Nets prior to the 2012-13 season? Lol!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »
Dwight Howard got traded to the Nets... dreams do come true, I guess? Lol! IIRC, didn't D12 want to be traded to the Nets prior to the 2012-13 season? Lol!  :lol

This would make what, 6 teams? From perennial all-star to journeyman.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »

Playing for 6 teams in a career is fine... even Shaq has played for 6 teams. His problem is, D12 seems to leave each team in very bad terms.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »

Playing for 6 teams in a career is fine... even Shaq has played for 6 teams. His problem is, D12 seems to leave each team in very bad terms.

Dwight Howard reminds me of David Price in baseball.  Major talent but mentally soft which affects his game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 05:59:53 AM »

Not the case here. Howard had a really good season, he was a force during the second half of the season. They traded him to get under the tax since there is no reason to pay tax if you're not going to make it through the playoffs. I fell kinda sad for him, he seemed to finally have found his place in the league.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »

Not the case here. Howard had a really good season, he was a force during the second half of the season. They traded him to get under the tax since there is no reason to pay tax if you're not going to make it through the playoffs. I fell kinda sad for him, he seemed to finally have found his place in the league.

I stand corrected. I was just reading that the locker room no longer wanted him. I guess this is a win for everyone in Charlotte then.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »
Go Dubs, see you guys in the playoffs...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »

I stand corrected. I was just reading that the locker room no longer wanted him. I guess this is a win for everyone in Charlotte then.

Turns out the Nets might not even want him. I heard that a buyout is in the works. Then Howard can go sign with any team he wants (that would have him).

Draft was interesting. Life came at Mikal Bridges FAST.... but that's the NBA.

Ball number 2 went undrafted.....a surprise to few, if any, other than his Dad.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 06:11:00 AM »
That Bridges thing was heartbreaking. His mom was so excited that he was going to Philly..

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
3peats are very difficult, but obvi the Warriors have the talent.

LBJ probably goes to LA, I guess, but who knows? Dream would be for both PG and Kawhi to join him, but that seems unlikely since the Spurs aren't going to set up the next Lakers dynasty... maybe if they get REALLY desperate, but that probably won't happen until the trade deadline.

As a Hawks fan, it hurt to trade Doncic, but here's hoping we were right to gamble on Trae Young... lol if our draft history is any indicator, though, we'll look back on this as another huge blunder like trading Bill Russell or failing to draft Chris Paul. If Doncic had to go elsewhere, though, I'm cool rooting for Dallas.

Dwight to the Cavs if LeBron stays could be interesting. He'd be a great fit on the Warriors if he would finally accept his proper role, but we've been saying that for the last 5 teams he's been on, lol... plus I think Durant hates him too.

Boston takes another step forward. It's probably their turn to rule the East unless Philly can sign a big free agent like LeBron or somehow orchestrate a Kawhi trade.

Also, for anybody with HBO, Bill Simmons' Courtside At The NBA Finals was a pretty interesting watch.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:04:30 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline Azyiu

Interesting read:  https://theundefeated.com/features/would-anyone-really-want-to-be-lebrons-newest-teammate/

In case you guys don't recall, I am NO LBJ fan, but my two cents here...

A) Irving said, “You’re being tested in the biggest stage in front of everyone, all the time..." That's just sounds like some weak minded talk to me. If you are good enough to play along side LBJ AND win, show me!

B) Teams that plan / want to sign LBJ would be in the WIN-NOW mode, and they will not care about development. So bringing up LBJ could / would hurt Simmons' development is slightly off focus. For long term, maybe, but if the Sixers do sign him; they want to win NOW! Worry about developing young guys later... although I am a firm believer in developing your young talents and building a team from the ground up.

That being said, as much as I hear about my Lakers going after LBJ, a part of me don't want him to be in a Lakers uniform. Win or lose, I love the young talents we have right now, and I sincerely do not want to lose either or both Kuz and Ingram. We will see what happen in the next days, I guess?  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Decision 3.0 coming up for the GOAT
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
I think the problem for a potential Spurs/Lakers trade is that the Lakers don't have any really good players, and if you are trading Leonard, you had better get at least one really good player (and more players and/or draft picks).  Sure, the Lakers have some young talent, but we have no idea how that talent will pan out.  And the Spurs reportedly want no part of Lonzo Ball, and considering his ass clown of a dad comes with him, why would you?

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 08:50:31 PM »
I think the problem for a potential Spurs/Lakers trade is that the Lakers don't have any really good players, and if you are trading Leonard, you had better get at least one really good player (and more players and/or draft picks).  Sure, the Lakers have some young talent, but we have no idea how that talent will pan out.  And the Spurs reportedly want no part of Lonzo Ball, and considering his ass clown of a dad comes with him, why would you?

I don't think Ball is ever in any of the rumored trade scenarios anyway. It will be a combination of Kuzma, Ingram, Randle, Josh Hart + 1st round pick(s).
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:10 PM »
3peats are very difficult, but obvi the Warriors have the talent.

LBJ probably goes to LA, I guess, but who knows? Dream would be for both PG and Kawhi to join him, but that seems unlikely since the Spurs aren't going to set up the next Lakers dynasty... maybe if they get REALLY desperate, but that probably won't happen until the trade deadline.

As a Hawks fan, it hurt to trade Doncic, but here's hoping we were right to gamble on Trae Young... lol if our draft history is any indicator, though, we'll look back on this as another huge blunder like trading Bill Russell or failing to draft Chris Paul. If Doncic had to go elsewhere, though, I'm cool rooting for Dallas.

Dwight to the Cavs if LeBron stays could be interesting. He'd be a great fit on the Warriors if he would finally accept his proper role, but we've been saying that for the last 5 teams he's been on, lol... plus I think Durant hates him too.

Boston takes another step forward. It's probably their turn to rule the East unless Philly can sign a big free agent like LeBron or somehow orchestrate a Kawhi trade.

Also, for anybody with HBO, Bill Simmons' Courtside At The NBA Finals was a pretty interesting watch.

I just saw a rumor that Boston wants Kawhi and probably has better things to trade with.    Kawhi might be more interested in going to LA....but when it comes right down to it, he will go to the team who can give the Spurs the best upside.    I just like that scenario because if Kawhi and LBJ both go to the Lakers, then the Western Conference Finals become the effective NBA finals, with whichever "lamb to the slaughter" the East wants to send to the sacrifice set up to be the next victim.      But if Kawhi goes to Boston there's that possibility that he takes that already young and talented club to the next level.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »
Slight off topic, but sort of related... one of my other hobbies is collecting 1:400 die-cast model planes. And I came across to this discontinued Air Canada Airbus A320, with the Raptors livery. That was the first A320 delivered to Air Canada in 1996.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 06:08:17 AM »
Slight off topic, but sort of related... one of my other hobbies is collecting 1:400 die-cast model planes. And I came across to this discontinued Air Canada Airbus A320, with the Raptors livery. That was the first A320 delivered to Air Canada in 1996.

That's awesome.

And Boston should get out of the Leonard hunt. No sense in giving up any of their players or draft equity on what looks to be a one and done player.

And the Lakers should get out anyway. Let some other team give assets away and watch Leonard still sign with you as a FA in 2019. Exception of course is if you're building a super team and Daddy LeBron tells you that it hinges on Leonard's presence this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 07:12:21 AM »
Agreed.  It wouldn't make sense for Boston to trade some of their talent for a 1-year rental, and the Spurs reportedly do not want Kyrie Irving (who likely leaves for the Knicks next summer once he is a free agent).