Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 79368 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Durant still craving respect despite the media love
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »
Guess I am not the only one getting sick and tired of the boring pre-season... ok, bad joke, but I wish Miles Simon recovers swiftly.  :hat

Lakers assistant Miles Simon diagnosed with pneumonia after getting sick at preseason game
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:25:28 PM by Azyiu »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »
DeRozan looking solid within the Spurs system. I can't wait to see this team more comfortable with each other. In a SPUR of the moment, we'll be competing with the best of the West.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
So during last year's playoff, I caught some grief by saying that the Cavs would still be a playoff team without LeBron.

They will DEFINITELY make the playoffs this year. Mark it down!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2018, 08:12:59 PM »
So during last year's playoff, I caught some grief by saying that the Cavs would still be a playoff team without LeBron.

The entire East is just an open field of gazelles lining up to see who gets to face LA, GSW, or Houston...so I’m not sure it matters.

But the upshot of that is the East is going to be much more interesting to watch. In the West, you’ve got 3 or 4 behemoths that are going to bulldoze. But the East is spread out a bit more. There are a lot of young talented teams, and I think any of the top 8 have the potential to beat any of the rest.

The season could change all that, but that’s the way it looks to me at the start.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
Apparently the Heat and the Wolves were very advanced in conversations to get the Buttler deal done but at the 11th hour Minnesotta asked for more than was being discussed and the deal broke off. This really looks as if Thibbs is torpedoing the deals to get more time with Buttler and see if he can fix things. I don't know how far that strategy will go..
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #250 on: October 08, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »

You are going on this by the preseason?  Holy moly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »

You are going on this by the preseason?  Holy moly.

I going by my keen basketball intellect.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
The world is fucked then. :lol

Seriously though the east is weak and they should make the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »

I going by my keen basketball intellect.

Imaginary things don't count.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #254 on: October 08, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
You guys have brain envy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »
You guys have brain envy.

Me have brain?

Offline Azyiu

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: October 08, 2018, 07:25:58 PM »
 :metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 09, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »
I could see the Cavs making the playoffs on pride alone. Not only were they called trash after LeBron left, but they were even called trash when he was there. :lol

If they play hard and avoid injuries, I could see them winning 40+ games.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »
Given how weak the east is nowadays they might have a chance. We need to see whether Lue does actually have coaching skills and whether some of the players can shine now that they are out of Lebron's shadow.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »
Apparently the Heat and the Wolves were very advanced in conversations to get the Buttler deal done but at the 11th hour Minnesotta asked for more than was being discussed and the deal broke off. This really looks as if Thibbs is torpedoing the deals to get more time with Buttler and see if he can fix things. I don't know how far that strategy will go..

I agree. This last one, apparently Miami caved to Richardson being in the deal (as they should, for Butler). Not sure what it was that broke the deal, but this continues to piss me off. Personally, I think Thibs and Layden's respective egos are coming into play, not what's best for the TWolves. The Wolves are in flux because of this whole thing and playing like ass. The sooner this drama is over, the better.

If Miami offered a pick and Richardson for Butler (which I am assuming they likely did), then the Wolves should take it, and move on. They have a four-day break prior to the last preseason game. Hopefully they re-engage, and get this done. It is beyond ridiculous, and honestly, I'm done with Butler, not to mention Thibs and Layden.

I am pretty confident that once the Butler mess is handled, if the Wolves don't look good to start the season, Taylor will fire both Layden and Thibs.

I could see the Cavs making the playoffs on pride alone. Not only were they called trash after LeBron left, but they were even called trash when he was there. :lol

If they play hard and avoid injuries, I could see them winning 40+ games.

I think the Cavs are certainly a playoff team. People forget that when an offense is centered on Kevin Love, he averages 25+ ppg. Add to that the other pieces on that team, plus a weak East, I see the Cavs getting into the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed.

I see them as a .500 team as currently constructed. If they played in the West, that'd be a different story. But in the East, with that roster? 40, 41 wins.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
I don't care about the Cavs, rather I am more interested to see what the T-Wolves are going to do next. The T-Wolves' ownership group has to decide:

A) Whether to sit Butler and release him AFTER 1st March, so he could not be on any playoffs roster for next spring's playoffs, if no other trade offer comes along.

AND/OR

B) Whether to keep Thibodeau as team Prez. I think he has been performing quite poorly as an executive over the past year or so.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »
I've been reading some different perspectives about the T-wolves conundrum. What most analysts say is that Thibbs is not willing to go through a rebuild process because he is a coach that likes to win. As much as that makes sense, that conflicts with his role as Prez because that one requires for him to think of the franchise long term.
So right now he is making everything in his power to keep Buttler for some time and try to convince him to stay, which is unreal, or get equal value in return, which is not going to happen now that Buttler's request is out in the open. Taylor said he would get involved and I was surprised to read that he was part of the talks with Miami. Evidently he is not so eager to get Buttler out of the team.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »
I don't care about the Cavs, rather I am more interested to see what the T-Wolves are going to do next. The T-Wolves' ownership group has to decide:

A) Whether to sit Butler and release him AFTER 1st March, so he could not be on any playoffs roster for next spring's playoffs, if no other trade offer comes along.

AND/OR

B) Whether to keep Thibodeau as team Prez. I think he has been performing quite poorly as an executive over the past year or so.

I don't think they have the guts to keep him on the roster, and make him stay away from the team the whole year (like the Knicks did with Joakim Noah). I mean, I get it, by March 1, then he won't come back to bite them in the ass this season. But the problem is, it'll become even a bigger league-wide distraction, which honestly, I don't think Glen Taylor wants any longer.

I suspect they will cave to the trade demand. It just depends who blinks first. Gonna be LAC or Miami.

I also think Taylor will fire Thibs as team Prez. But the problem is, if he does that, he has to basically get rid of him as coach too. Thibs' ego won't go for that. And Layden is just horrendous. So again, I think once the Butler mess is addressed, Taylor will fire Thibs AND Layden. Interim coach will be Flip Saunders' son, who is currently on the coaching staff.

I've been reading some different perspectives about the T-wolves conundrum. What most analysts say is that Thibbs is not willing to go through a rebuild process because he is a coach that likes to win. As much as that makes sense, that conflicts with his role as Prez because that one requires for him to think of the franchise long term.

Yep. Therein lies the conundrum. What I think Thibs is trying to do, is get the best of both worlds, by telling Jimmy to come play this year, and they'll work on something as the season goes along. What Thibs doesn't get, is that the two cornerstones of the team, as much as they are saying the right things publicly, DO NOT want Jimmy Butler back. And they both have close relationships with the team owner, Glen Taylor. That's why I think that ultimately, Butler will be gone, and so will Thibs and Layden. Taylor will step in.

So right now he is making everything in his power to keep Buttler for some time and try to convince him to stay, which is unreal, or get equal value in return, which is not going to happen now that Buttler's request is out in the open. Taylor said he would get involved and I was surprised to read that he was part of the talks with Miami. Evidently he is not so eager to get Buttler out of the team.

You meant that you were surprised to read that Taylor was NOT part of the talks with Miami, right? I was too, honestly. But remember, Taylor has probably told Thibs and Layden that he will have final say on this, and to come to him when a deal is in place. I am absolutely sure, that if the owner of the Heat calls Taylor this week, and Taylor finds out that Thibs is truely stonewalling, as opposed to making a deal to help the team long term, Taylor will step in and do it.

It's also quite possible that by letting Thibs and Layden sink on this, he's setting them both up to be axed. That way, there's no narrative about the owner meddling. Its more the owner trying to let people run the team, those people make mistakes, owner swoops in and cleans house.

I love my team, but man, this drama sucks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: October 09, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
According to Woj:

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor and Miami owner Micky Arison had become involved in the talks and there was hope that a trade call with the league office could finalize a deal soon, until Minnesota moved to amend the framework of the trade and talks collapsed Saturday, league sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24920173/timberwolves-trade-jimmy-butler-heat-falls-apart

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: October 09, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
Ah, OK. I still think they'll get it done before the last pre-season game.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2018, 04:34:46 AM »
Rest in peace, coach Tex Winter.  He's had his hand in 11 rings.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
new Timberwolves logo...

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »
 :rollin
Let's give them credit for putting some spice into the preseason

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
Christ. This team, I swear.

Here's the deal, what Butler did was pure Butler. Problem is, his old school mentality (which make no mistake Thibs loves) doesn't gel with Towns and Wiggins. This is a cluster fuck, and Taylor needs to grow a set and clean house. Last I checked, the 2012 Bulls won shit. And while I prefer old school, hard nosed play, its not working with today's players. Look at the teams winning -- GS, CLE, Boston...they buy into a system that supports them. Instead, Thibs forces his old team on the core of his new team, and creates tension.

Taylor needs to clean it all out...again.

FUCK.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2018, 06:13:04 AM »
Opening night tonight. Boston - Phila is a given, the west coast game is gonna be hard to follow.

Gotta resume working on my sleep-deprivation skills.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2018, 06:34:00 AM »
Yeah, really interesting opening game. I'll try to catch it tonight. West coast is nearly impossible given the hour difference though  :-\

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »
Y'all stop complaining about west coast games, lol!  :lol

I am going to Japan for 8 days first thing tomorrow morning, and I am likely going to miss the entire first week of the season!  :facepalm:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »
Y'all stop complaining about west coast games, lol!  :lol

I am going to Japan for 8 days first thing tomorrow morning, and I am likely going to miss the entire first week of the season!  :facepalm:

Why are you complaining? You'll be in Japan!! I'd miss half the season if I had the chance to get to know that country.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
Welcome to a new season, fellow hoops junkies.  For fun, lets give our  predictions in each conference, and see where we are in the spring.

For me:

East

1. Celtics
2. Bucks
3. 76ers
4. Raptors
5. Wizards
6. Pacers
7. Pistons
8. Bulls
----
9. Cavaliers
10. Hornets
11. Heat
12. Knicks
13. Magic
14. Nets
15. Hawks

West

1. Warriors
2. Jazz
3. Rockets
4. Trail Blazers
5. Nuggets
6. Pelicans
7. Lakers
8. Thunder
-----
9. Grizzlies
10. Mavericks
11. Spurs
12. Timberwolves
13. Clippers
14. Suns
15. Kings

>>>>My two teams are firmly in the 12 spot in each conference, of course.  :lol

Offline T-ski

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Lakers going for number 17
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
Bucks - Kidd + Budenholzer = Championship.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2018, 05:28:48 AM »
Jayson Tatum is the real deal. From skills to composure, everything screams alpha dog superstar.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2018, 05:29:56 AM »
Welp, that was a nice statement from the Celtics to start the season. A good game all around, guys being able to compensate for Irving's bad shooting, smothering defense... I think the Celtics will make the finals and might even give GSW a run for their money.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2018, 05:37:15 AM »
Welp, that was a nice statement from the Celtics to start the season. A good game all around, guys being able to compensate for Irving's bad shooting, smothering defense... I think the Celtics will make the finals and might even give GSW a run for their money.

It could happen, but the Celts must gun for home-court advantage in the finals in order to have a serious chance.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »

Both scorers (Irving & Hayward) had a lot of rust and that game looked easy.  Liked Indiscipline said, Tatum has superstar written all over him.