Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 79205 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Carmelo preparing to make another team worse
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
I mean, that is a manly nose for sure.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
David West retires...3 seasons too late but at least he got his rings.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2018, 06:30:22 AM »
With Luol Deng joining the T-Wolves, we now just need the Knicks waiving Noah... He can then join the T-Wolves and re-form the old Bulls starting lineup of Butler, Rose, Deng, Gibson and Noah, with Thib as coach and Aaron Brooks coming off the bench, lol!! Or they can change their team name to the TimberBulls if they want, lol!!  :lol  :lol  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »
Minnesota Thibobulls

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
With Luol Deng joining the T-Wolves, we now just need the Knicks waiving Noah... He can then join the T-Wolves and re-form the old Bulls starting lineup of Butler, Rose, Deng, Gibson and Noah, with Thib as coach and Aaron Brooks coming off the bench, lol!! Or they can change their team name to the TimberBulls if they want, lol!!  :lol  :lol  :lol

I hate you.   :lol

Minnesota Thibobulls

And you too.  :rollin

>>>>Seriously though, apparently Thibs told Deng straight out that he couldn't promise him playing time. He'd have to earn it. I don't think they'll sign Noah, even when the Knicks waive him. We've already got last year's draft pick to develop, the way over-priced Dieng, and then of course Towns and Gibson starting. Gibson, IMO, is more of a bench player, but that's all we have at the PF spot until one of the young guys steps up. I am thinking Bates-Diop is going to be that guy. HUGE, HUGE draft steal. So signing Noah makes NO sense, whereas if you need veteran wing help, Deng isn't a bad signing, even if he ends up being bench depth.

But yeah, the whole TimberBulls thing is getting ridiculous. I can defend most of the signings, including Deng. But if he pulls the trigger on Noah, once Noah is available, I think Glen Taylor may can Thibs by the spring if the Wolves aren't in the top-five of the conference. If they are .500 or something, Thibs is going to get axed. or at the very least, lose his President title.

My biggest hope is that Towns takes another step, the bullshit with Butler goes away, and Wiggins says the hell with everyone and plays like the demon he can be. IF that happens, Wolves will be in good shape.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
I had high hopes but the wolves past few years but Wiggins (even if a good player) is not playing to his potential, and sometimes it just feels like they don’t know how to play together as a team. They already have a few years together and chemistry should start showing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2018, 05:47:08 AM »
I said it before, Thibbs is not as good as he is said to be. I think he's good at preparing defensive schemes, but he needs players that are already developed and requires way too much out of his regular players. Roleplayers are close to non-existent in his teams and the chemistry is not always the best. I think Wiggins needs to go to a different place where he can get away from Buttler and have a coach that can get the best of him.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
I said it before, Thibbs is not as good as he is said to be. I think he's good at preparing defensive schemes, but he needs players that are already developed and requires way too much out of his regular players. Roleplayers are close to non-existent in his teams and the chemistry is not always the best. I think Wiggins needs to go to a different place where he can get away from Buttler and have a coach that can get the best of him.

Butler is gonna bail. I am almost sure of it. I really do see him joining Kyrie and going to the Knicks (which, in all honesty, being that the Knicks are my hometown team, and the team I follow second to the Wolves, would not be a bad thing).

I know people will disagree, but I was not a fan of the Butler trade to the Wolves to begin with. I am very, very high on Lavine and Markkenen, and had they kept them, no, they wouldn't have made the playoffs last year, but they would have had more cap flexibility and firepower. Thibs has made some big mistakes, but it hasn't been his coaching. It has been the other stuff (like signing Gorgi Dieng to a big deal). Good lord.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
What's amazing about the Wolves is that, even with Butler and Thibs, they are still a below average defense. I didn't see many of their games last year, but from what I did see, Towns and Wiggins were really disappointing on that end. That probably has a lot to do with the comments Butler made about being disappointed with certain players' priorities.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
What's amazing about the Wolves is that, even with Butler and Thibs, they are still a below average defense. I didn't see many of their games last year, but from what I did see, Towns and Wiggins were really disappointing on that end. That probably has a lot to do with the comments Butler made about being disappointed with certain players' priorities.

Agreed. I am not sure Wiggins will ever be a defensive player, but he did make strides last year. But not good enough. Towns made further progress, and I think his defensive ceiling is higher than Wiggins'. I don't expect either to be ALL NBA DEFENSE, but I think they can be average defenders, and very good help defenders. But they need to be surrounded with elite defenders, and right now, only Butler is.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »
So, it happened. Butler requested a traded, rumored to be to either the Clippers, Knicks, and Nets, all of whom can afford a max deal for him next summer. I get it, and knew this was coming, but it still pisses me off. When the Wolves trade him, we'll have let Lavine and Markkanen (not to mention Kris Dunn) leave for spare parts. Absolutely ridiculous.

My predication - Courtney Lee and Frank Nikilitina from the Knicks to the Wolves, for Butler. Gives Wolves the 3 and D SG they need to compliment Wiggins, and gives them an up and coming SG with PG skills in Nikilitina. The Knicks won't trade a 1st rder, so this is a deal that would get things done.

Could be the Clippers too...TObias Harris and a couple of pieces to the WOlves for Butler. I find this not as likely, only because Tobias is a FA next year, and Wolves won't sign him.

So I expect the Knicks trade to happen.

THe bottom line is, while I was never a "FIRE THIBS" guy, I think Glen Taylor needs to make sure Towns is signed to that extension, and then the moment he is, he fires Thibs and starts new in the front office. It is absolutely unconscionable that the Wolves let Lavine, Markkanen and Dunn go for what is going to amount to spare parts.

FML as a Wolves fan.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
So, it happened. Butler requested a traded, rumored to be to either the Clippers, Knicks, and Nets, all of whom can afford a max deal for him next summer. I get it, and knew this was coming, but it still pisses me off. When the Wolves trade him, we'll have let Lavine and Markkanen (not to mention Kris Dunn) leave for spare parts. Absolutely ridiculous.

My predication - Courtney Lee and Frank Nikilitina from the Knicks to the Wolves, for Butler. Gives Wolves the 3 and D SG they need to compliment Wiggins, and gives them an up and coming SG with PG skills in Nikilitina. The Knicks won't trade a 1st rder, so this is a deal that would get things done.

Could be the Clippers too...TObias Harris and a couple of pieces to the WOlves for Butler. I find this not as likely, only because Tobias is a FA next year, and Wolves won't sign him.

THe bottom line is, while I was never a "FIRE THIBS" guy, I think Glen Taylor needs to make sure Towns is signed to that extension, and then the moment he is, he fires Thibs and starts new in the front office. It is absolutely unconscionable that the Wolves let Lavine, Markkanen and Dunn go for what is going to amount to spare parts.

FML as a Wolves fan.

if those are really the three teams Butler wants to go to, the Wolves will not get equal value back at all.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »

if those are really the three teams Butler wants to go to, the Wolves will not get equal value back at all.

Nah, they wouldn't anyway. YOu never get back equal value for a player of Butler's caliber. My hope is a veteran who fills a need, and young player with potential. That's why the proposed Knicks deal I threw up there makes sense. Now I am reading that Thibs won't trade him immediately. Which to me, is dumb, because now this hangs over your head. Just call the teams and get the offers. Christ.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
It's interesting that Butler wants to go to those teams. The Clippers are actually pretty respectable, but the Nets are still rebuilding and the Knicks just suck. I am 100% behind Butler doing whatever he wants, and it appears that he wants to get paid, but it just seems weird to me. The guy is approaching the back nine of his career, has not had any meaningful team success, and yet all he wants is to be the guy on mediocre teams.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
It's interesting that Butler wants to go to those teams. The Clippers are actually pretty respectable, but the Nets are still rebuilding and the Knicks just suck. I am 100% behind Butler doing whatever he wants, and it appears that he wants to get paid, but it just seems weird to me. The guy is approaching the back nine of his career, has not had any meaningful team success, and yet all he wants is to be the guy on mediocre teams.

The Knicks don't suck. If they acquire Butler, then they have KP, Knox, and potentially, Kyrie Irving. Plus, they have a great coach in Fizdale. Things are looking up at MSG. I am a Wolves fanatic, but I also root for my hometown Knicks. I got into basketball in 1989, watching the Timberwolves play the Knicks. I loved the Wolves, but also followed and became a fan of the Knicks as they are my hometown squad. Been a fan of both ever since.

The Clippers could make sense, but I'm not sure, other than cap room, and the ability to perhaps sign Irving, the Nets really have.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »

FML as a Wolves fan.

I read yesterday that the Knicks GM had said they wouldn't trade for players they can get for free next year so I'm not sure that will happen, specially when there are rumors that Buttler prefers the Clippers over the other 2 options. Of the 3, I think New Jersey is the one that has the best assets to offer but we'll see what happens

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »

FML as a Wolves fan.

I read yesterday that the Knicks GM had said they wouldn't trade for players they can get for free next year so I'm not sure that will happen, specially when there are rumors that Buttler prefers the Clippers over the other 2 options. Of the 3, I think New Jersey is the one that has the best assets to offer but we'll see what happens

Yep. The Knicks will be in it if they only have to give up something small. It really depends on what the Wolves are offered by the Clips and Nets, and use that as "leverage." (in quotes, because the Wolves have none.) Personally, I think the Nets move is more likely, because they'd likely give up more, as would the Clips.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »
I read that Courtney lee requested to be transferred so maybe the knicks will act on that however I don't know how much more they are willing to give up. Add to that the fact that supposedly his preference is the Clippers and it becomes a little more complicated.
And sorry to say this Samsara, but I have to thank Buttler for making this month more interesting, everything had been so quiet and drama free

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
I read that Courtney lee requested to be transferred so maybe the knicks will act on that however I don't know how much more they are willing to give up. Add to that the fact that supposedly his preference is the Clippers and it becomes a little more complicated.
And sorry to say this Samsara, but I have to thank Buttler for making this month more interesting, everything had been so quiet and drama free

Hahahha. That's my team! Sucks so much. I was never in favor of the Butler trade. Not because I didn't think he'd resign, but that I was high on Lavine and making it a homegrown trio of him, Towns, and Wiggins. And Markkenen turned out to be gold, like I thought he would, for the Bulls.

Wolves don't make that trade, while they'd be swiss cheese as defense, trotting out a starting lineup of:

Towns
Markkenen
Wiggins
Lavine
Teague

>>>>That would be high octane, a ton of fun, and would compete for a playoff spot for years to come with the youth.

Now...its just back to reconstructing a roster. Because once Butler is gone, the Wolves have old guys surrounding Towns and Wiggins. And that's not gonna work. Thibs NEEDS TO FORGET ABOUT THE OLD GUYS and play Diop and Okogie, and let them take their lumps. See if they can make it.

But he won't...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »
No he won't. He said he'd rather quit that stay for a rebuild. Stories are also saying the wolves have been getting calls from other teams and in every case they have declined to discuss any trade possibility. There's talk about them holding to Buttler and trying to work out the problems.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
No he won't. He said he'd rather quit that stay for a rebuild. Stories are also saying the wolves have been getting calls from other teams and in every case they have declined to discuss any trade possibility. There's talk about them holding to Buttler and trying to work out the problems.

Not gonna happen. Taylor is gonna step in and fix it. I have faith. I think first things first, he meets with Towns, gets him his contract and gives him assurances. Then he trades Butler out from under Thibs, and fires Thibs. Gonna be a hell of a pre-season.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »
Minnesota signs KAT to the max, reports Butler most likely traded within days.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2018, 05:54:35 AM »

I read the same thing. Apparently the GM was rejecting calls and the owner got in the middle and said they should trade him ASAP. This is just too much fun  :corn

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »
For fun, who are everyone's top ten NBA players?

=Tier One=
1. James
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Harden
=Tier Two=
5. Davis
6. Giannis
=Tier Three=
7. Leonard
8. Paul
9. Embiid
10. Westbrook

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »

=Tier One=
1. James
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Harden
=Tier Two=
5. Davis
6. Giannis
=Tier Three=
7. Leonard
8. Paul
9. Embiid
10. Westbrook

What?! No love for Irving?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2018, 08:33:36 AM »

I read the same thing. Apparently the GM was rejecting calls and the owner got in the middle and said they should trade him ASAP. This is just too much fun  :corn

I found something out over the weekend that puts a lot of this into perspective. Apparently Jimmy Butler boned KAT's girlfriend late in the season. If you google it, a few outlets have reported it. KAT even deleted all the most recent pictures of him and his ex-GF (there are older photos on there) from his Instagram. That really now makes sense where the tension between KAT and Butler is, and while Wiggins has his own issues, perhaps that's why Wiggins and Butler don't mesh (Wiggins and KAT are tight, and I am assuming Wiggins stood up for his buddy).

Add to that, that Taylor is extremely close to Wiggins, and to KAT, and it makes even more sense that if you assume for a second GLen Taylor found out about this recently, why he immediately took the situation in-hand, and said he'll trade Butler, and KAT immediately signed once that was announced. My best bet is, Taylor and KAT met, KAT told him what was up, and Taylor went livid.

Good.

Once Butler is gone, I foresee Taylor letting Thibs and Layden go too. If the team is .500, I don't expect those two to last beyond the 2018 calendar year. If you took note of KAT's message when he got signed, he talked about upholding the ideals of the late Flip Saunders. Nowhere in it did he reference Thibs. Now, read the tea leaves...Ryan Saunders, Flip's son, is on Thibs' coaching staff, and has been an assistant coach for years. It would not surprise me in the least if Taylor axed Thibs and Layden, and installed Saunders (who would have the support of KAT and Wiggins) as head coach.

I'm not talking about in the next week or so, but around the first of the  year. Just enough time so that Taylor can further evaluate what they are doing, and then make the change.

What a cluster. But I am happy that Butler is gone. While there are scumbags everywhere, if that stuff regarding boning KAT's GF is true (and I believe it is), that's really low. F that guy.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »

=Tier One=
1. James
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Harden
=Tier Two=
5. Davis
6. Giannis
=Tier Three=
7. Leonard
8. Paul
9. Embiid
10. Westbrook

Eek. It's tough. If we assume 100% health for everyone, then I don't think I would take him over any of those guys. If we factor in health, then maybe I would slot him above Embiid, Leonard, or Paul. However, it's not like Irving is the picture of durability.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
1. Markkanen
2. Dunn
3. Parker
4. Lavine
5. Carter
6. Rolo
7. Portis
8. Valentine
9. Hutchison
10. Payne

Go Bulls!!!  :natalieportman:

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »
Am watching Blazers vs. Raptors... glad to see Blazers' Chinanu Onuaku shooting underhand FTs. Yet fans were laughing loudly... guess many of them don't know basketball history well enough  :yeahright
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »

=Tier One=
1. James
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Harden
=Tier Two=
5. Davis
6. Giannis
=Tier Three=
7. Leonard
8. Paul
9. Embiid
10. Westbrook

No way would I put Irving in the top 10.  Like TOZ said, he can't say healthy, and part of being great is being durable. 

Offline dparrott

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Durant still craving respect despite the media love
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
There's talk of the Heat getting 2 or 3 new jerseys, all in Vice colors!  There's a pic online of the Vice court too!!!  I'm so excited, I love that branding.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »
There's talk of the Heat getting 2 or 3 new jerseys, all in Vice colors!  There's a pic online of the Vice court too!!!  I'm so excited, I love that branding.

Same here... but I will be even more excited, if GTA : Vice City is getting a remake, lol!!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline T-ski

« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
based on one pre-season game I'm going to say the Bucks will go undefeated.

Fear the deer.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »
based on one pre-season game I'm going to say the Bucks will go undefeated.

Fear the deer.

I do fear the deer. No one is talking about the Bucks in the East. Big mistake. I actually think they are going to win the East.

Boston v. Milwaukee in the ECF. Milwaukee will squeak it out in 7.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #244 on: October 05, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »
Watching the NBA China games in Shanghai on tv now (Sixers vs. Mavs)... but the two announcers calling the game keep saying something along the line "...from Beijing"... I am like, dudes, do you even know what city you are in? Lol!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,