Author Topic: The Zeal & Ardor thread - Stranger Fruit OUT NOW  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
The Zeal & Ardor thread - Stranger Fruit OUT NOW
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
Now that the second Zeal & Ardor album is out, I think they deserve a thread here. So this project's concept is pretty interesting, it started out with the dude behind the chamber-pop project Birdmask, Manuel Gagneux. The first album, "Devil Is Fine" is fine, but didn't really feel complete and some of the tracks felt like they didn't add much or didn't belong on the album.

Listening to the new album "Stranger Fruit" right now, it is really coming together for this band. Gospel chants, good riffs, soulful vocals, hardhitting metal passages. AOTY material right here dudes.

CHECK IT: https://open.spotify.com/album/1oSxrt8srwdUqlg5jq3aFK?si=ia1WNmlLTzuOkoGUu1T7BQ
This song best represents the metal side of the album (and my personal early favourite): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqkZT1NdUc
This one represents a more vocal-centered soulful side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tWGD-EAgNQ
And this one represents both sides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tWGD-EAgNQ
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:39:08 AM by bosk1 »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The Zeal & Ardor thread - Stranger Fruit OUT NOW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
Sweet, I've been waiting for this to drop as they're playing ArcTangent and thought I better check it out first. I heard the debut and liked it (at least I think I heard it). Will report back after giving it a listen.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
Kinda think it's in poor taste to describe the genre using the n-word, dude
Listening now and it's pretty solid, actually feels like a proper album this time for one

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
Their first album was pretty good, but it had like 3 songs on it, so I couldn't judge that one properly. I'll check this one out as well.

I too think the n-word is rather unnecessary.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »
Kinda think it's in poor taste to describe the genre using the n-word, dude

This. 

@Train of Naught:  While I understand that you were merely quoting what others labeled it, there really isn't a need to post that.  Given the context, I would normally just edit it out of your post (which I did) and not issue a warning.  However, you also clearly broke rule 1 by posting a website name that is in clear violation of the forum rules.  Please do NOT do that again.  Your post has been edited accordingly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »
Oh wow, I apologize. I was indeed just quoting Manuel's anecdote, didn't know that would be against the rules. Won't happen again

Is it possible to PM me what the website was that I posted? I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again.

@elite yeah definitely, it felt incomplete. Trust me, this one is great.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »
Just finished up and that is definitely a contender. When this sort of thing works (the splicing of genres that shouldn't work together) it's just glorious. Some of my favourite music is a mix of genres that shouldn't, in theory.

I'm on to the new Yob album now but I'm going to give this another listen tomorrow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
Oh wow, I apologize. I was indeed just quoting Manuel's anecdote, didn't know that would be against the rules. Won't happen again

Is it possible to PM me what the website was that I posted? I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again.

@elite yeah definitely, it felt incomplete. Trust me, this one is great.

PM sent.  You've been around awhile and have a very positive history here, so I'm quite confident you weren't trying to stir up trouble or intentionally break the rules.  But it needed to be pointed out because we absolutely do not allow that to be posted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 01:09:24 AM »
Definitely not my intention but I fully understand the decision, we settled everything in PM. Now onto Zeal & Ardor again :lol early favourites on the album for me are Fire of Motion, We Can't Be Found, Row Row, Ship On Fire and Don't You Dare. I didn't expect Don't You Dare to be on this album actually, it was released like 2 years ago but never put on the first album, it fits well though.

I think Solve and Coagula are a bit unnecessary, but The Hermit and The Fool actually work well in the album since they're before or after very heavy tracks, so it gives the record some good balance.

Just finished up and that is definitely a contender. When this sort of thing works (the splicing of genres that shouldn't work together) it's just glorious. Some of my favourite music is a mix of genres that shouldn't, in theory.
Amen. The first album was kind of a mess with some random electronic tracks that didn't work on the album at all, and one Tom Waits type song that felt very misplaced. This one has way better flow and the individual tracks just feel more polished. And the biggest plus for me might be that the black metal vocals actually have words in them instead of just "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH" every single time.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 04:58:31 AM »
Anyone heard the new single? I know they are touring with Meshuggah later in the year, and there is some serious Meshuggah style riffage in the last minute and a half. Maybe a conscious effort to appeal to some of their fan base on the tour?

https://open.spotify.com/track/04QGaBNvg3zmP4Nklyob6e?si=ymI5Zu-9RWyO0SPNArWEsQ&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

Online goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 09:43:58 AM »
Holy balls. I just discovered their S/T album and it's amazing and very original music.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
This band kicks ass.  Can confirm.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.