Poll

Which of these albums you wish had existed?

THE BEATLES - Post Let it Be album
LED ZEPPELIN - Ninth full album with Bonham
PINK FLOYD - Post The Final Cut album with Waters
DEEP PURPLE - Fifth album from the MK II lineup
DEEP PURPLE - Fourth album with Coverdale
DEEP PURPLE - Post The Battle Rages On album with Blackmore
RAINBOW - Fourth album with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Ninth album from the original lineup
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to The Mob Rules with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to Dehumanizer with Dio
HEAVEN AND HELL - Second album after The Devil You Know
OZZY OSBOURNE - Third album with Rhandy Rhoads
AC/DC - Post Highway to Hell album with Bon Scott
IRON MAIDEN - Follow up to Fear of the Dark with Bruce
JUDAS PRIEST - Post Painkiller album with Halford
QUEEN - Full post Innuendo album with Freddie
GUNS N' ROSES - Follow up to Use your Illusions with the original lineup
DREAM THEATER - Post Awake album with Kevin Moore
DREAM THEATER - DT11 with Mike Portnoy
others (please specify)

Author Topic: The albums you wish had existed  (Read 12118 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The albums you wish had existed
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
Voted for follow-up to Dehumanizer with Dio, because it's by far my favorite Dio-era and non-Ozzy Sabbath album, and it feels like such a waste that things fizzled out again between them so quickly and for such a relatively trivial reason as supporting Ozzy for a couple of shows.

Another Floyd album with Waters would probably have been a disaster, given the growing rift between him and Gilmour - let's face it, The Final Cut isn't exactly a masterpiece either. While a third Ozzy album with Rhoads would've been cool, I read that he'd planned on leaving before his death, so we might not have got one even if he'd survived. Also, as much as I love KevMo-era DT, I'm glad he left because otherwise we wouldn't have Chroma Key, or at least Dead Air for Radios could be a lot different.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Voted for follow-up to Dehumanizer with Dio, because it's by far my favorite Dio-era and non-Ozzy Sabbath album, and it feels like such a waste that things fizzled out again between them so quickly and for such a relatively trivial reason as supporting Ozzy for a couple of shows.

I seem to recall that Dio saw that as an excuse for a reunion, which was actually planned before eventually falling through. It was not just about the opening slot, it was a "I know this might lead to a reunion so I won't do it".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2018, 03:46:54 AM »

Another Floyd album with Waters would probably have been a disaster, given the growing rift between him and Gilmour - let's face it, The Final Cut isn't exactly a masterpiece either. While a third Ozzy album with Rhoads would've been cool, I read that he'd planned on leaving before his death, so we might not have got one even if he'd survived. Also, as much as I love KevMo-era DT, I'm glad he left because otherwise we wouldn't have Chroma Key, or at least Dead Air for Radios could be a lot different.

I am one of the few (pun intended) who love The Final Cut. It has its very own melancholic, depressing character and I love it.

That being said, I agree that another PF album with Roger right after this one probably would have ended in a disaster or David and Roger beating the shit out of each other. But rumours say that they have been getting along just fine for years and I think an album with the 4 of them around 2000 would have been awesome.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2018, 05:29:10 AM »

That being said, I agree that another PF album with Roger right after this one probably would have ended in a disaster or David and Roger beating the shit out of each other. But rumours say that they have been getting along just fine for years and I think an album with the 4 of them around 2000 would have been awesome.

Getting along with someone doesn't mean you can work with them again.

The fact that we got Gilmour, Waters, Wright and Mason all playing together at Live 8 was a minor miracle.  We didn't need another album and/or full length tour with all four.  That ship sailed in the early 80's.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
I think past a certain point, where too many years have passed, band reuniting would be like your christmas dinner with ex schoolmates. Sure, those two hours spent in company are nice, once a year, but going back to be together all the time? nah, everyone's moved on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2018, 06:13:07 AM »

I am one of the few (pun intended) who love The Final Cut. It has its very own melancholic, depressing character and I love it.

I like The Final Cut too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:23 AM »

Me three.  There are some beautiful melodies on that record.  The "There's a boy..." section of "The Final Cut"... gets me every time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2018, 07:22:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't even consider myself a Pink Floyd fan, but I do have WYWH, Animals, and The Final Cut. When it came out, I remember a radio show where Waters was on talking about it song by song, and I remember being captivated by the interview.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »

Me three.  There are some beautiful melodies on that record.  The "There's a boy..." section of "The Final Cut"... gets me every time.

Gilmour also plays one of his finest solos ever in the title track. Very simple, yet very effective.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »

I seem to recall that Dio saw that as an excuse for a reunion, which was actually planned before eventually falling through. It was not just about the opening slot, it was a "I know this might lead to a reunion so I won't do it".
Ah, fair enough. Still, Ozzy didn't come back until 5 years later, so it would've been cool to get more music with Dio in the meantime.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
Helloween: follow up to The Dark Ride with Grapow and Kusch.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
also id like to add Magica 2 & 3. Dio was working on them before he passed. Electra was the only song to be completed or at least the only one released.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »
Having listened to a shit ton of XTC in the last few months, I would have loved for them to have stuck their foot in the deep end of prog for an album.  Sure, Andy Partridge expressed disdain for prog in their This Is Pop documentary, but quite a bit of their mid to later material gives you that vibe where had they taken a left turn instead of a right, it could have been kinda proggy. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »
Eros by Deftones was almost complete before Chi's car accident. The song Smile is the only thing released from it. Anyway, hopefully it is released as whole some day. But if not, I will totally accept it.

At least I can say I'm happy there was no follow-up to Fear of the Dark with Bruce, since The X Factor and Bruce's solo material are at minimum very good. Oh yes! The follow-up to The Chemical Wedding with the Bruce Dickinson solo band (Roy Z-Smith-Cassillas-Ingraham). I'd gladly give all post reunion Iron Maiden albums in exchange for that.

An album by Tapeworm (supergroup featuring Trent Reznor and Maynard James Keenan) would be nice. Don't know how much of it was recorded after all. The song Passive by A Perfect Circle was originally written for Tapeworm.

Kevin Moore staying with DT would've been good since my favourite DT records are the first three.'

Follow-up to Dead Again by Type O Negative. DA is a great record, I like how they opted to use live drums again, how Kenny sang on multiple songs, how there were many long epic tracks... Too bad Peter died.

And of course, the third Animal Alpha LP  ;D. I think I used to rave about them a lot back in 2012, but they're still my all-time favourite band, even though they're very obscure.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:41:27 PM by Ruba »

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2021, 06:44:17 PM »
Whitesnake with Coverdale - Sykes - Lord - Murray - Powell
Pink Floyd with Gilmour - Mason - Waters - Wright
Kiss with Vincent
Dream Theater with Petrucci - Myung - LaBrie - Portnoy - Moore
Dream Theater with Petrucci - Myung - LaBrie - Portnoy - Sherinian
David Lee Roth with Vai - Sheehan - Bissonette
Van Halen with Gary Cherone
Kansas with Livgren and Walsh
Megadeth with Friedman and Menza
Paice Ashton Lord
Queensryche with DeGarmo

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2021, 07:01:42 PM »
Ozzy album with Randy
Maiden FOTD follow up with Bruce
Painkiller follow up with Rob
DT album with MP.

Even though I rate TXF and Jugulator highly, I would have still loved to hear follow ups with Bruce and Rob.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2021, 07:04:27 PM »
Kiss with Vincent
Paice Ashton Lord
Queensryche with DeGarmo

Wait..don't these albums already exist??

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
Kiss with Vincent
Paice Ashton Lord
Queensryche with DeGarmo

Wait..don't these albums already exist??

I mean one more of them.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »
More music from Vito Bratta

A world where Jason Becker never got ALS.

An Ace Frehley album as good as his 78 solo album.

A Virgin Steele album with the production values DeFeiss’ talent deserves.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2021, 01:44:58 PM »

A world where Jason Becker never got ALS.

An Ace Frehley album as good as his 78 solo album.

A Virgin Steele album with the production values DeFeiss’ talent deserves.

All of this.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2021, 02:06:22 PM »

And most of all: this!
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »

Ha! The one that would have interested me* was conspicuously absent from TAC’s quote!

*not familiar with Jason Becker, but I do wish he hadn’t gotten ALS, which is awful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »
A world where Criss Oliva wasn't driving his car that tragic night.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »

Ha! The one that would have interested me* was conspicuously absent from TAC’s quote!

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2021, 05:20:47 PM »
Fifth METALLICA album with Cliff Burton on Bass and Flemming producing.

Or just And Justice For All with Cliff on Bass and Master of Puppets production.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »
Fifth METALLICA album with Cliff Burton on Bass and Flemming producing.

Or just And Justice For All with Cliff on Bass and Master of Puppets production.

I would love to have an interdimensional cable version of a 4th Metallica album with Cliff on bass, since I actually wouldn't want to alter the actual Metallica career.

Though Justice with a fantastic mix would be nice. Not sure I'd want an MoP production, but something a bit closer to how they sound live would be good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2021, 07:05:58 PM »
A world where Criss Oliva wasn't driving his car that tragic night.

So very true  :-[

I love his guitar work SO much. And Edge of Thorns is such a fantastic album, with just the right amount of easy-listening mixed in with classic Savatage sound. He had so much more to give. It's crazy to think that because of that night we'll never hear it...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »
I still don't see what everyone else does in Savatage.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2021, 07:24:43 PM »
Not even Gutter Ballet? Or Edge of Thorns? (so we don't go too deep into their "Broadway-metal" phase)

Or earlier albums like Sirens, Power of the Night, Hall of the Mountain King?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2021, 07:34:53 PM »
Been a long time since I did a run through. The albums that would have the best chance musically, would be Sirens or Power Of The Night but they have Jon Oliva on vocals vomiting all over himself.

I actually saw Savatage on the Hall Of The Mountain King tour, opening for Dio/Megadeth in 1987 and they were one of the 5 worst opening bands I've ever seen. Jon Oliver had a long purple robe on, screaming and screeching like a possessed Barney.

I took a picture at the show!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
Tim, Criss Oliva was one of my fav guitarists when discovering Savatage.  He probably still would make my top 5, but one thing I realised after your UFO thread was how much he was a Schenker fan.  So much Schenker in his tone, phrasing and feel, it's quite incredible.

I can understand people not fully digging them though, they had a unique sound and each album had it's own personality.  Jon was definitely an acquired taste though, I can see that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »
Tim, Criss Oliva was one of my fav guitarists when discovering Savatage.  He probably still would make my top 5, but one thing I realised after your UFO thread was how much he was a Schenker fan.  So much Schenker in his tone, phrasing and feel, it's quite incredible.

I can understand people not fully digging them though, they had a unique sound and each album had it's own personality.  Jon was definitely an acquired taste though, I can see that.

Hey, I never say never, but I honestly have never found Savatage's music very interesting. I found the Zak Stevens Era kind of generic. At least the Jon Oliva Era had some character.

I would be very happy to listen to anything you recommend as far as Chris Oliva goes. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
Let me have a crack at my top Oliva tracks;

He Carves His Stone
Summers Rain
Hounds
Follow Me
Hall of the Mountain King
Ghost in the Ruins
Strange Wings
Gutter Ballet
24 Hours Ago
Power of the Night

Offline nick_z

« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2021, 07:56:10 PM »
No joke, this would have been my exact same list!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2021, 07:56:24 PM »
Let me have a crack at my top Oliva tracks;

He Carves His Stone
Summers Rain
Hounds
Follow Me
Hall of the Mountain King
Ghost in the Ruins
Strange Wings
Gutter Ballet
24 Hours Ago
Power of the Night

Damn  :lol Off the top of your head :lol