Author Topic: Does anyone hear listen to jazz?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Does anyone hear listen to jazz?
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 04:33:34 AM »
I will listen to some jazz fusion if that counts.  99% of stuff I listen to has to have great guitar.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
I will listen to some jazz fusion if that counts.  99% of stuff I listen to has to have great guitar.

Yeah, that counts! If you want jazz stuff with great guitar, I'd check out Joe Pass, Django Reinhart (probably one of the great guitarists of all time, who btw had only three freakin fingers on his left hand), Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, and the Ziganoff Jazzmer Band. The Jazzmer/Klezmer Jazz, Flamenco Jazz, and terribly named Gypsy Jazz subgenres in general also have some pretty great guitar parts usually.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
I listen to a lot of jazz, though there's periods where I don't. At the same time, I hear jazz in a lot of other music I listen to, prog, metal, rock, funk, etc... I used to listen to fusion more, especially in my late teens, but not as much lately, though I'm mostly referring to the late 60s/1970s jazz-rock fusion stuff. I've heard just about everything jazz-fusion from that period, though I occasionally find a new gem, that I only dip into it if I'm really in the mood. I've always enjoyed 50s and 60s jazz since discovering jazz-rock, and appreciate it more and more each year. My first love with jazz was the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack back when I was in middle school, though nothing else for a while. When I was 17 I got into jazz-rock and eventually I would explore post-bop or other "traditional" styles of jazz, as well as other fusion types. My tastes have gravitated towards more world-fusion as of late, lots of great stuff out there, Pat Metheny Group's "Still Life (Talking)" album and Garaj Mahal's "Blueberry Cave" album are good examples. Non-Western music, to me, mixed with jazz is refreshing when you've heard all the other forms of jazz so much, either old or new. I also take pleasure in the different sounds, timbres, landscapes created by non-Western instruments, whether mixed with guitar/keys/bass/etc... or not. While I don't like "smooth" jazz of the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, I do find a tune or two I enjoy that I find to be a guilty pleasure, however, I think most of it is cheesy, sappy, an lacks creativity. I'm a sucker for slap bass so I do find gems in the wasteland of smooth jazz. I can get down with 'harder' jazz-funk that the untrained ear might classify as 'smooth jazz' on surface level. Stanley Clarke's "I Want To Play For You" is a good example.

Serious reply, though - does Bela Fleck & The Flecktones count? I mean, they're considered jazz & bluegrass, among many other styles and genres.

Definitely counts. They are a great band, some of their albums are more jazz-fusion, some more bluegrassy/world-fusion, some are a nice balance of both. Victor Wooten is one of the best jazz-fusion bassists and his solo albums might appeal to you if you haven't checked them out.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
Talking about Jazz in a prog forum, I guess I could mention CANTERBURY scene music. I am getting into some of that stuff, like National Health, Soft Machine, Egg. Those 70s bands always had a huge Jazz influence in their music. Soft Machine even advanced to being a Jazz-band.

By the way, I don't mean to be "that guy", but could anyone who is able to change the title of the thread please? The "hear" is killing me  :rollin
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Re: Ya like jazz?
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
Yes, please. That's been bothering me so much every time I see it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »
Talking about Jazz in a prog forum, I guess I could mention CANTERBURY scene music. I am getting into some of that stuff, like National Health, Soft Machine, Egg. Those 70s bands always had a huge Jazz influence in their music. Soft Machine even advanced to being a Jazz-band.

By the way, I don't mean to be "that guy", but could anyone who is able to change the title of the thread please? The "hear" is killing me  :rollin

Never really got into that scene. I'd rather OD on all of that great jazz fusion that was going on then.  Not saying that stuff is bad or I don't like it. I was never actively seeking it out like I did the Miles, Coltrane, Mahavishnu, Zappa or Return To Forever etc....

Online The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
If we're talking Canterbury, can some of The Tangent count as "jazz"? They definitely have a lot of jazz/Canterbury influence in their music, and often go into lengthy jazz-inspired instrumental sections. If so, then I've listened to a ton of jazz via The Tangent!  :rollin

I mean, I tried to point it out with my first post in this thread :lol

-Marc.

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »
I love me some jazz and I definitely want to delve deeper into it eventually - Bohren & der Club of Gore, Snarky Puppy, and BADBADNOTGOOD are my jam  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
If we're talking Canterbury, can some of The Tangent count as "jazz"? They definitely have a lot of jazz/Canterbury influence in their music, and often go into lengthy jazz-inspired instrumental sections. If so, then I've listened to a ton of jazz via The Tangent!  :rollin

-Marc.

Elements of jazz....sure.