Author Topic: What if MP and Derek both came back?  (Read 15513 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: What if MP and Derek both came back?
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
I really love Derek's style, and contributions to DT.  He's much more of a rock keyboardist than the JR style of prog-rock keyboardist.  Saying that, I'm glad he was a small part of their history, and has his own small era.  They wouldn't have been able to create what they have since then, without Jordan. But Derek did do some great stuff. I love his writing on songs like Lines in the Sand, Hell's Kitchen, and Anna Lee.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
Well, we can't know for sure, but I don't think they got Derek with the long plan of waiting for Jordan. They asked Jordan, he said no, they moved on, then eventually they made LTE and found out he was willing to join, 5 years later. I don't think the plan was "Let's go with Derek until Jordan changes his mind".
No, we can be sure - what you describe is what happened. When they first got together to do LTE, it was for MP to be able to work with other musicians, and for him to fulfill what he had not been able to do in DT: to work with JR or Jens Johanson (of Stratovarius, who had also auditioned at the same time JR did - obviously JR was available at that time while Jens was not). When none of the guitarists that were on MP's dream list were available/interested for the small slot of time they had to do the album, MP's wife suggested JP.

It was only while they were working on the second LTE album that JP and MP started talking about how they really loved the chemistry they had with JR and how well it would work in DT that they finally approached him and asked the (then) hypothetical question of "how would you respond if we were to ask you to join the band now?"

Had the LTE albums never happened, it's quite possible DS would still be DT's keyboardist today.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
Derek had some good contributions. His I like live with the band is their cover of Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, they made that song rock. Studio has to either be Anna Lee, Trial of Tears, and Where Are You Now?.

What they were during his time with them was interesting. Although, fun looking, it was a time of struggle for the band. Having to, in a sense, rediscover the band, find the new direction the band must take. And once they did, LTE played a major part in it I feel (although it wasn't intentional LTE was going to include the members it did, I wish it was how MP intended it to be), they got JR to join and came back with a bang.

Although it was short, I feel Derek was the necessary person they needed to help them continue on as a band. He brought a personality that is energetic, watching him on Five Years In A Livetime shows this. Yet the music they made was either hard rocking or Moody.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »

Although it was short, I feel Derek was the necessary person they needed to help them continue on as a band. He brought a personality that is energetic, watching him on Five Years In A Livetime shows this. Yet the music they made was either hard rocking or Moody.

Hadn't considered this before.

Like it or not (and I didn't) it may have been a necessary step.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Well, we can't know for sure, but I don't think they got Derek with the long plan of waiting for Jordan. They asked Jordan, he said no, they moved on, then eventually they made LTE and found out he was willing to join, 5 years later. I don't think the plan was "Let's go with Derek until Jordan changes his mind".
No, we can be sure - what you describe is what happened. When they first got together to do LTE, it was for MP to be able to work with other musicians, and for him to fulfill what he had not been able to do in DT: to work with JR or Jens Johanson (of Stratovarius, who had also auditioned at the same time JR did - obviously JR was available at that time while Jens was not). When none of the guitarists that were on MP's dream list were available/interested for the small slot of time they had to do the album, MP's wife suggested JP.

It was only while they were working on the second LTE album that JP and MP started talking about how they really loved the chemistry they had with JR and how well it would work in DT that they finally approached him and asked the (then) hypothetical question of "how would you respond if we were to ask you to join the band now?"

Had the LTE albums never happened, it's quite possible DS would still be DT's keyboardist today.

It’s possible of course but I seem to remember Portnoy saying that Sherinian was not a great fit anyway, regardless of Jordan’s change of heart. They weren’t keen on his onstage persona with the lava lamps and rockstar image. I think things would likely have come to a head at some point. I think Mike said something along the lines of DS being more of a Van Halen/Kiss style guy and not a prog guy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »

It’s possible of course but I seem to remember Portnoy saying that Sherinian was not a great fit anyway, regardless of Jordan’s change of heart. They weren’t keen on his onstage persona with the lava lamps and rockstar image. I think things would likely have come to a head at some point. I think Mike said something along the lines of DS being more of a Van Halen/Kiss style guy and not a prog guy.
MP did make a comment that DS didn't quite fit in with the rest of the guys because of his onstage persona, and because he was the only single guy in the band; so his priorities were somewhat different than the other guys. But it never had anything to do with the music, which was the most important thing. And if you look at the way DS presented himself live before Touring Into Infinity, as well as since then, you'll see the shag carpet, lava lamps, sunglasses and "rockstar" clothes are gone - so it seems that those were just a temporary thing, not unlike JP's awful stage clothes during the Octavarium tour. Had those things been long term and therefore a real issue, I'm sure the band would've addressed them in much the same manner as they spoke with JL following the end of World Tourbulence. Whether DS would've responded positively to such a chat or not is debatable, but unless he got itchy feet to go elsewhere and/or didn't like the constrains of the band, I'd imagine he'd still be in the band if not for what happened with LTE.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »
Derek doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who take well to what basically would have been a "don't be yourself, but conform to fit in better" kind of conversation.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
Another double album, that's for sure. No amount of keyboardists and drummers can keep just to one album. I'd expect at least 5 instrumentals, too :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »
Derek doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who take well to what basically would have been a "don't be yourself, but conform to fit in better" kind of conversation.
The thing is, I don't really think the way he dressed, decorated his part of the stage, etc. was being himself, but trying to strike a different style now that he was firmly within the band. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, he commented that he specifically went a bit over the top to get a reaction from the fans, since KM had been so revered within the band before him, and there's no way he could've ever measured up to him.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
he commented that he specifically went a bit over the top to get a reaction from the fans,

Could have been accomplished by playing better music  :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »
he commented that he specifically went a bit over the top to get a reaction from the fans,

Could have been accomplished by playing better music  :D

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnn.

If I remember, in the commentary for 5YIALT, Petrucci did try talking to him about how out of place his stage decorations were and Derek responded, "Then let's do it to the whole stage," and for a while the lava lamps were expanded. Been a while since I listened to it but that's my recollection. 

So Kev, I don't think you're far off the mark.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »
I for one very much enjoyed the antics that came with DS. The band badly needed an injection of tongue-in-cheek, and DS had that. The lava lamps and the TV, Nightmare Cinema, while all those were a bit haphazard, it all loosened them up a bit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »

It wasn't about JR changing his mind or being willing to join.  JR was unavailable (had other commitments) when they asked him to join before they settled with DS.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
I for one very much enjoyed the antics that came with DS. The band badly needed an injection of tongue-in-cheek, and DS had that. The lava lamps and the TV, Nightmare Cinema, while all those were a bit haphazard, it all loosened them up a bit.

At the time I didn't like it at all. I saw it as the beginning of the end (and from what we found out later that was pretty close to the truth.)

It seemed totally out of character for the band at that point. But as soon as Jordan joined I became able to enjoy that period knowing it wouldn't continue.  Still don't listen to the band live much during this period although I did pull Once In A LiveTime off of the shelf last weekend.

Some cool moments on that record, but there are a lot more than make me cringe. This may be the only period in Dream Theater's history where I'd prefer the studio recordings over the live material.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
I still really like Once in a LIVEtime for what it is.
Can't we find the minds

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2018, 03:23:36 AM »

Me too. It's raw, energetic and i really enjoy it. It feels like a proper live album.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2018, 06:00:42 AM »

Me too. It's raw, energetic and i really enjoy it. It feels like a proper live album.
Yeah! It feels like a 70s live album.
Can't we find the minds

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2018, 07:20:31 AM »

Pretty much my feelings about Once in a Livetime. I just wished the full show would have been released.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
I'm sure the label didn't allow it at the time (Scotty may correct me on this and I appreciate that.) OIALT was the first DT album I've ever listened to as a child btw. (I was 8 at the time. Been a fan for 20 years now and counting.) Back on topic: Either one rejoning wouldn't be a good thing at all. (IMHO) Total step back for the band. (again IMHO, technically speaking and musically speaking)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:07:57 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
There are some fantastic moments on OIALT.  Peruvian Skies in particular is EXCELLENT on that album.

But it’s a tough listen.   Overall, I would say it’s JLB’s worst performance on an official live release.  He had a very rough night, and I almost wish he would have been allowed to do a couple of touch ups later.  It would have made a big difference.   But, it is what it is.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2018, 03:36:53 PM »
There are some fantastic moments on OIALT.  Peruvian Skies in particular is EXCELLENT on that album.

But it’s a tough listen.   Overall, I would say it’s JLB’s worst performance on an official live release.  He had a very rough night, and I almost wish he would have been allowed to do a couple of touch ups later.  It would have made a big difference.   But, it is what it is.

I read somewhere a long time ago that LaBrie had a cold and that explains some of the vocal issues.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
That may be.  I can't remember.  But it isn't the only time on the tour that he struggled.  I am quick to defend James, but there were times on that tour that were absolutely some of the lowest vocal points in history for this band.  The L.A. show from that tour makes the Paris OIALT show sound like a vocal tour de force by comparison.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »
I remember being so psyched about DT finally releasing a live album. But man, I could not believe the vocals. I had seen DT a number of times by that point and had quite a few boots, but I never heard that before.

Oh, and that LA show told me one and only one thing. That all was not well in the DT camp. The vocals were so bad, I assumed MP was trying to embarrass James by releasing it on Ytsejam. I remember hearing it for the first time that James cannot be happy that this is out.

Honestly, I rarely if ever listen to any FII era shows. It really is the DT's gawky preteen years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »
Not having heard or bought Once in A Livetime (kind of funny since I'm a big big fan of the band) I cringe at Your Majesty, the live version on the DT book cd.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2018, 01:32:34 AM »
My biggest issue with OIALT is actually the mic dropping out on james frequently.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2018, 04:24:31 AM »
Yes, very much so.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »
I remember being so psyched about DT finally releasing a live album. But man, I could not believe the vocals. I had seen DT a number of times by that point and had quite a few boots, but I never heard that before.

Oh, and that LA show told me one and only one thing. That all was not well in the DT camp. The vocals were so bad, I assumed MP was trying to embarrass James by releasing it on Ytsejam. I remember hearing it for the first time that James cannot be happy that this is out.

Honestly, I rarely if ever listen to any FII era shows. It really is the DT's gawky preteen years.

Nice. So true.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »

Exactly this, some cool moments, love the Freebird solo at the end of Take The Time (didn't actually know that's what it was at the time but I've learned since) but don't enjoy the actual song because of the vocals.  Haven't listened to it for so long that I can't remember a lot of it or whether James is ok on some songs.  Wasn't keen on the medley thing either.  Will give it another listen at some point.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »
I love Once in a Livetime. It's raw, energetic, pumps me up a lot. It was the 2nd DT album I ever bought. There's a few other live albums that make me feel this way: Fates Warning Still Life and Live in Athens; and Evergrey's A Night to Remember. I deeply enjoy the FII era and the live official bootlegs are in constant rotation. The thing is, subsequent DT live albums sound overly produced (even Score to some degree but not as much). I just like the small but energetic audience and ambiance in live records. Live in Luna Park sounds very artificial as well as Breaking the Fourth Wall, even though the setlists are perfect. Even though I love Live at Budokan, I do think it suffers a lot from the "audio perfection" but also, I think it came out like that because of the Japanese audience. LSNFY would be my 2nd favorite DT live album.

A friend of mine gave me Images and Words (cassette) and I was living in Mexico at that time. When I went to the record stores, I had only seen Once in a Livetime at the shelves. So I got it and spent hours and hours listening to it. But also spent hours and hours trying to hunt down the previous albums. I spent hours dissecting the album artwork trying to associate it with the songs (for whatever reason, I was young LOL). I have a lot of fond memories of this live album. Also, love the artwork. I believe it's a very underrated artwork in the DT collection.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
I just put on OIALT, and ... who sings the rap with MP at the beginning TTT? Derek?

Offline metrojam

« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »

Hear hear. Loved the DS era live shows.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »

I never saw DT live until the TOT tour so can't speak from personal experience. What do you feel it was about their live shows prior to this time that necessitated a "loosening up?" 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »

I never saw DT live until the TOT tour so can't speak from personal experience. What do you feel it was about their live shows prior to this time that necessitated a "loosening up?"

Good question.  I saw DT thrice with Kevin Moore and once with Derek while he was still a "trial member" of the band (12/8/94).  I never saw DT with DS as a "full member," so I don't really have a basis for comparison, but I never felt that "[t]he band badly needed [or even needed in the slightest] an injection of tongue-in-cheek" or to be "loosened up."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
They were incredibly static on stage in those days, each member barely moving from their spot on stage. James also didn't interact with the crowd at all for the most part. I felt Derek's influence gave them a bit of a "we're actually having fun on stage".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2018, 01:29:22 PM »
They were incredibly static on stage in those days, each member barely moving from their spot on stage. James also didn't interact with the crowd at all for the most part.

Subject to the limitations imposed by small stages at a couple places where I saw them on the I&W tour, this wasn't my experience at all.  I think there's a lot of video that shows more movement back then than they've done at any point in the last 20 years -- particularly in the case of John Myung (and obviously, KM and MP were anchored, so we're only talking about JLB, JM and JP).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung