Author Topic: Weird Al Yankovic Thread - vs. Ridiculously Ill-Advised Vanity Tour  (Read 687 times)

Offline jammindude

I just saw this tour Saturday night in Portland, and I have to say what a freakin blast it was. 

This was the tour that I honestly never believed Al would never do.   So when it was announced I knew I absolutely HAD to go.   He said when the tour was announced that he was putting on the fat suit for about the billionth time when he wondered if he'd be able to get away with doing a stripped down tour with no screens, no costumes, and NO PARODIES.    It sounded like madness to many, but Al had a big time cult following and it sounds like the tour has completely sold out at nearly every stop.   So I hope that means there will be more. 

My very first concert ever was Weird Al on his "Tour of the Universe In 3-D" back in 1984...I was 14 years old, and Dr. Demento opened the show.   

But on to this show.    Some of the setlists I had been seeing from the tour were honestly disappointing.   But I can honestly say that IMO, the show I went to had the best setlist of the entire tour.    I met Al afterwards, and he signed my vinyl of his debut album, and the In 3-D album.   I gushed a bit, but didn't get the chance to ask him anything because I realized that by the time I was done gushing, I was kindof holding up the line....but he was very gracious and didn't mind at all.   

The setlist....

Young, Dumb and Ugly
Dare to be Stupid (Grateful Dead Version)
Close But No Cigar
Velvet Elvis
Nature Trail to Hell
Generic Blues
Mr. Popeil
The Night Santa Went Crazy (Extra Gory Version)
Midnight Star
You Don't Love Me Anymore
Let Me Be Your Hog
Happy Birthday
Your Horoscope For Today
Why Does This Always Happen to Me?
My Own Eyes
One More Minute
Albuquerque
Unplugged Medley - containing small snippets of (Eat It - I Lost on Jeopardy - Amish Paradise - Smells Like Nirvana - White & Nerdy - I Love Rocky Road - Like a Surgeon)

Encore:
Funk 49 (James Gang cover)
Yoda

It was an amazing show, and Al absolutely nailed it.   Nature Trail to Hell and Albuquerque by themselves would have made the entire show worth it.   But Midnight Star and Mr. Popeil were nice surprises.   Horoscope is one of my absolute favorite newer songs, so that was a blast too.   Dare to Be Stupid being changed up and done in the style of the Grateful Dead was really cool as well. 

The last time I had seen Al was on the Running With Scissors Tour back in 00 I think?   I remember thinking back then that it was a bit too choreographed and "by the numbers" and I was wondering even back then if he might consider just getting rid of all the flash and doing some deep cuts just for the fans.   I'm really glad he finally did.

EDIT - I'll post a few pictures later.  I've got a date with my computer today, so I have to get on it.  Organizing files and re-ripping all my CDs to a new program.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
One of the few musicians I really regret never seeing live. He barely ever plays in Europe, I guess there aren't many fans over here.
I hope he does more live Blurays.

Offline Architeuthis

I wish I could have went,  I probably would have if he played Seattle. I just went to Portland in April and saw Nightwish, and then Sons of Apollo in Seattle afterwards, so my concert funds are on the down low. Weird Al has always had the top notch band to back him up, and their live shows are alot of fun.
Thanks for the review, and I'm glad to finally see a Weird Al thread..   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

He actually is playing Seattle tomorrow night. I just couldn’t go to that because it was a weekday. So I decided to buy tickets to the Saturday Portland show and make the road trip. I’m really glad I did.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

Dang,  how did I miss that?  I'm too strapped to hit the Seattle show now..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

Seeing him next week.  I also haven't seen him since 2000 and have lost my fandom of him a bit but every once in a while I'll throw on some of his deeper cuts.  My wife and I road trip a lot so we love Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. 

Since I pretty much avoid mainstream music it's not as fun hearing his parodies since I have no idea what they were to begin with.  Basically, I was going to skip this tour but when I checked next weeks show out of curiosity, there were only two good seats available (everything else was obstructed view since it's in an old ballroom) so I took that as a sign I'd better pull the trigger. 

Offline mikeyd23

I saw this tour in Pittsburgh a couple months ago. I'm not a big Weird Al fan, but my buddy had tickets and asked me to go. I had a blast! It was a great show, the band was really tight and Al sounded great. Overall, really fun.