Used to Bad News
0 (0%)
To Be a Man
1 (1.1%)
Feelin' Satisfied
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 29, 2024, 08:11:08 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite of these songs by Boston  (Read 1351 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorite of these songs by Boston
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
I included only four of the eight songs from the first album, since including them all would likely result in total domination. This makes it more interesting.

You can vote for up to 7.

I went with:

Hitch a Ride
Don't Look Back
A Man I'll Never Be
Something About You
Smokin'
Hollyann
Don't Be Afraid

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorite of these songs by Boston
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
Have a soft spot for Amanda and Cant'cha Say, very nostalgic for those two, listened to them a lot in high school.

Nothing else jumps out to much other than Don't Look Back, maybe my #1 Boston song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:31:38 AM »
Don't Look Back (my favorite Boston song)
Amanda
A Man I'll Never Be
Hollyann
It's Easy
Don't Be Afraid

Forgot to pick the seventh one.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:37:07 AM »
I can only imagine what the reaction was in 1978.  Two years after the best debut ever, I am sure there were many who thought they'd have a tough time writing anything close to that, and then Don't Look Back is the first song you hear.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The moment around 3:15 when the guitar explodes back into that riff and destroys you, was once described by a friend as the "sound of God's balls." :lol :lol :metal :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:41:01 AM »
That's one of the essantial Boston moments right there. It's also one of the most awesome guitar parts I've ever heard.

Looking at my list again, it's interesting that I didn't pick a single song from the debut. The thing is that I probably feel like the best songs on it are actually the hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 07:17:20 AM »
If songs still played on classic rock radio can equal hits, then every song from the first album is a hit! :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
Great thread!   Boston is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I'm glad you have a couple songs from Walk On in this poll.  The album WALK ON is a underrated gem and I like it as much as the earlier Boston albums. Fran Cosmo did a nice job taking the lead vocals on that record. When they did the next two tours with Brad Delp singing the Walk On material with him, they captured lightning in a bottle! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
Don't Look Back (favorite Boston song)
Amanda
Hollyann

Don't let this fool you, though; HUGE Boston fan.   Foreplay/Long Time, More Than A Feeling.... I love almost all of it, at least the Brad Delp version.   In my humble opinion, it drops off post-Delp (though I still do listen to all the albums at various times). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
Great thread!   Boston is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I'm glad you have a couple songs from Walk On in this poll.  The album WALK ON is a underrated gem and I like it as much as the earlier Boston albums. Fran Cosmo did a nice job taking the lead vocals on that record. When they did the next two tours with Brad Delp singing the Walk On material with him, they captured lightning in a bottle!

I saw them on that tour in '95, with both Delp and Cosmo, and what a show it was. We were like 5th row center, and that was a concert where I had a perfect buzz (I rarely drank before or during shows, even in my younger days, but I did for that one), which just enhanced the awesomeness of it.  It is so hard to rank concerts since I have seen so many, but that was one of the best I've seen in my 29 years of concert going.

I think the Walk On record is a little spotty, but I love the title track a ton, and think Surrender to Me and What's Your Name are really good as well.  I Need Your Love would have been awesome with Delp singing it, but with Cosmo, it just sounded odd. Too bad, cause that intro is awesome, with that slow build and then they destroy you with the classic Boston guitars about 35 seconds in.

Don't let this fool you, though; HUGE Boston fan.   Foreplay/Long Time, More Than A Feeling.... I love almost all of it, at least the Brad Delp version.   In my humble opinion, it drops off post-Delp (though I still do listen to all the albums at various times).

To this day, I still have heard nothing from their last two albums. I didn't hear much good about either, so I didn't waste my time. 

I do think Third Stage is a lot better than it is often given credit for. Side 2 is tremendous.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »
Here's where I point out to Kev only to take my shots (🤣🤣) that I saw 3rd Stage live on the 4th night of 9 shows in Massachusetts.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
#oldmanalert

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:50 PM »
No doubt. :lol. No doubt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »
I am just glad I got to see them once with Brad Delp in the band.  He rarely gets mentioned among the top tier greats, but he's a Mount Rushmore rock vocalist in my book.  :hat

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 02:52:04 AM »
@KevShmev,  I'm so glad you got to see them in 1995.  I saw them in 1997 with the same line-up at The Gorge and it is to this day one of the best shows I have ever witnessed!  I also agree that if they had Delp doing alot of the lead vocals on the Walk On album, it would have been even better. Still, Fran Cosmo knocked it out of the park!  The 1995-97 tour was my favorite Boston line-up, Brad Delp, Tom Scholz, Gary Pihl, Fran Cosmo, David Sykes (bass), Curly Smith (drums)..
  Also.... Life Love Hope is their latest album and it IS worth listening to, a strong come-back effort after the disasterous release called Corporate America.. lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 02:54:38 AM »
I am just glad I got to see them once with Brad Delp in the band.  He rarely gets mentioned among the top tier greats, but he's a Mount Rushmore rock vocalist in my book.  :hat
  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
Well, that's not an unfair comment to make:  When Tom makes MUSIC, he's still got it.  When Tom makes STATEMENTS, well, uh, how about that first album, huh?   :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
For me, there is a HUGE drop off from Boston's hits to its next level of songs.  Side 1 of the debut album is among the best album sides ever, but side 2 is just average.  Don't Look Back (the song) is as good as More Than a Feeling, but the rest of the album is disappointing in comparison.  I remember back in the early 80s waiting for Boston's third album, and the wait seemed in terminable.  Although it sold well, it really felt like Third Stage fell flat, and Tom Scholz, Inc.® fell off the map for me after that.

I picked:

Smokin'
Don't Look Back
A Man I'll Never Be
Hitch a Ride
Something About You
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
@KevShmev,  I'm so glad you got to see them in 1995.  I saw them in 1997 with the same line-up at The Gorge and it is to this day one of the best shows I have ever witnessed!  I also agree that if they had Delp doing alot of the lead vocals on the Walk On album, it would have been even better. Still, Fran Cosmo knocked it out of the park!  The 1995-97 tour was my favorite Boston line-up, Brad Delp, Tom Scholz, Gary Pihl, Fran Cosmo, David Sykes (bass), Curly Smith (drums)..
  Also.... Life Love Hope is their latest album and it IS worth listening to, a strong come-back effort after the disasterous release called Corporate America.. lol

Maybe I will check it out. What would you say are the standout songs?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »

Maybe I will check it out. What would you say are the standout songs?
That could vary from person to person. My standout tracks are Heaven on Earth,  Last Day of School (instrumental),  Life Love Hope, Love Got Away (Tom Scholz on lead vocals).   The whole album has a charm to it. It's not their best work, but it is definitely worth having.  It has Brad Delp on a couple of tracks. Kimberly Dahme sings on a couple tracks too with "You gave up on Love" being the better of the two..  Tommy Decarlo does great throughout the album.
 Kimberly was kind of a misfit in Boston, but she has a good voice and is easy on the eyes..lol!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
#oldmanalert

Speaking of that...

Here's where I point out to Kev only to take my shots (🤣🤣) that I saw 3rd Stage live on the 4th night of 9 shows in Massachusetts.  Lol

...saw the 9th!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 07:56:06 PM »
#reallyoldmanalert

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »
I'm younger!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »
Than Moses? Congrats? :P

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
Tom Scholz is an amazing musician. He built his own amps and never used any brand names such as Marshall, Mesa, etc.  That's why the guitar sound is so unique on their albums and live. He's not only a great guitar player, but he's as good on the Hammond/keys as anybody in the business.
 Gary Pihl is also one of my fav guitar players. His guitar skills are actually better than Tom Scholz imo, and has an insanely good tone in the live setting. He's been with Boston since the Third Stage album came out.  :coolio