Author Topic: Laurel or Yanny?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Laurel or Yanny?
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »
"Brainstorm" or "Green Needle"?

depends on what you think......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okD66RmktA
Neither. I hear "Brain Needle".
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:46 PM »
Chino... you're right, it's absolutely harmless interwebz viral crap.  I don't think it's hate, but just the biggest fucking eyeroll that this is what grabs the attention of our society en masse?? I sometimes feel humanity is devolving.

In 1975 1.5M people paid $4 for a pet rock.

:lol It's not stupid from the perspective of science and general interest, it's stupid because of how something so small becomes a sensation that sweeps the nation.  I guess not different than a pet rock, or when I was a kid, pogs were a thing.  Sure have fun with your friends about it, but it's not headline news IMO that needs to be now injected into my life from so many different sources.  The memes have been funny though.

I'm totally with Cram on this.   I find it absolutely FASCINATING from a science perspective (and if you think about it, it explains a LOT about us as humans and how we interact).   But I find it BAFFLING that people can't just experience it and move on.  I have no idea why this is on major news feeds.   

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
It's white and gold.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »
Proves a retweet from Ellen  makes us approximately a Borg collective

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:18 PM »
Chino... you're right, it's absolutely harmless interwebz viral crap.  I don't think it's hate, but just the biggest fucking eyeroll that this is what grabs the attention of our society en masse?? I sometimes feel humanity is devolving.

In 1975 1.5M people paid $4 for a pet rock.

:lol It's not stupid from the perspective of science and general interest, it's stupid because of how something so small becomes a sensation that sweeps the nation.  I guess not different than a pet rock, or when I was a kid, pogs were a thing.  Sure have fun with your friends about it, but it's not headline news IMO that needs to be now injected into my life from so many different sources.  The memes have been funny though.

I'm totally with Cram on this.   I find it absolutely FASCINATING from a science perspective (and if you think about it, it explains a LOT about us as humans and how we interact).   But I find it BAFFLING that people can't just experience it and move on.  I have no idea why this is on major news feeds.

It's a thing that virtually everyone is talking/asking about. It would be weird if it didn't show up in the news one way or another.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
It's a thing that virtually everyone is talking/asking about. It would be weird if it didn't show up in the news one way or another.

Is that backwards though? Is it news because "everyone" is talking about it, or is everyone talking about it because it is "news?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 10:44:26 PM »
It garnered a lot of attention online, which caused it to become news, which caused it to garner more attention.

I guess I don't really understand the point you're making.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
I am not active on social media, unless this forum counts(?) So when I saw this as a top news story, it was the first I'd heard of it. I guess I don't know how something like this, or anything for that matter, garners "a lot of attention online."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
Someone posts something, a bunch of people see it and share it/post it elsewhere, more people see it, etc. etc.

In this case I think it started with a Reddit post. So, the post is popular, more people see it, eventually enough that it gets to the front  page and a bunch of other people see it and post it elsewhere, so on and so forth.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
I don't know why it's so fascinating. It's a word that's said in a way that it can be deciphered as either one (or even something totally different). Doesn't shit like this happen every single day to people? "Oh, *insert word here*? I thought you said *insert word here that sounds very similar*!"

I think it's because people think shit like this is somehow scientific and some kind of revelation happens where they forget that it's a daily occurrence and end up turning it into some crazy thing that means more than it does. Plot twist: It doesn't mean anything. At all.

I can make myself heard both. Because it was made specifically to be heard as both. (This is somehow totally and completely lost on...almost everyone who I've heard about this from) :lol Anyone can hear either one. Try hearing it through one ear while your other is closed off; or hearing it through a different atmosphere, like with music playing in the background and then in silence, etc. etc. It's something super simplistic that somehow turned into this...THING. :lol Harmless, sure.

But so is dabbing (lolz not weed lolz), and some people tweak the fuck out when they see or hear about that. I don't hate it but it sure isn't what a whole hell of a lot of people think it is. (in my experience with this, anyway; taken at face value it's...still pretty stupid and boring)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
I just YouTubed it. Haven't kept up with the discussion on this anywhere. Haven't tried it with earbuds or headphones or on my monitors yet, so only my laptop speakers.

Heard 'Yanny' for about 10 seconds, it sounded more robotic. Then for some reason it starting sounding less tinny, and then I heard Laurel. When I replayed it, I only heard Laurel unless I tried super hard to hear Yanny... this is weird.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 08:00:03 PM »
"I say Geneva, you hear Helsinki?!"

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »
I don't know why it's so fascinating. It's a word that's said in a way that it can be deciphered as either one (or even something totally different). Doesn't shit like this happen every single day to people? "Oh, *insert word here*? I thought you said *insert word here that sounds very similar*!"

That is so not what’s happening with this though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2018, 06:05:52 AM »
 :corn

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »
I'm not kidding, not trying to be difficult, or am iconoclast, but I heard "yarry".

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
Just listened for the first time and I have no clue how anyone is hearing Laurel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 06:21:42 AM »
Just listened for the first time and I have no clue how anyone is hearing Laurel.

Aside from any scientific explanation anyone might have for the difference in what people hear, here's a little clue on why people are specifically hearing Laurel... It's an audio clip of a guy saying LAUREL. :hat

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »
Just listened for the first time and I have no clue how anyone is hearing Yanny.

Fix'd for me.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
I'm not kidding, not trying to be difficult, or am iconoclast, but I heard "yarry".

That's what I hear if I reduce the pitch of the original audio by 20%

I hear "Laurel" when it's played at the original pitch. When the pitch is reduced by 20% I hear "yearry".

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Just listened for the first time and I have no clue how anyone is hearing Yanny.

Fix'd for me.

You wanna go? LET'S GO!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
Finally listening to it, it's definitely Laurel, but I can also hear an echo effect that makes an E sound. Still not Yanny though.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
Yanny, but for a brief moment when I was showing the video to coworkers I hear Laurel.

Online Adami

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 12:16:56 AM »
I put my Iphone up to the speakers to translate voice to text.

It wrote it out as "yeah me". Which is closer to Yanny than Laurel.

I win.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
I didn't hear either.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
This could literally be the dumbest thing ever.
//end of thread